• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

I just had a quick browse through the pages and it looks like no one mentioned Jack Kerouac!? Hope I'm wrong. Surprised so many people like Palahniuk though, I find him to be a big ol' yawnfest.
I think Bukowski, Nabakov, Flannery O'connor, Sylvia Plath and Leonard Cohen are some of the greatest writers and haven't been mentioned yet.

I just had a quick browse through the pages and it looks like no one mentioned Jack Kerouac!? Hope I'm wrong. Surprised so many people like Palahniuk though, I find him to be a big ol' yawnfest.
I think Bukowski, Nabakov, Flannery O'connor, Sylvia Plath and Leonard Cohen are some of the greatest writers and haven't been mentioned yet.
\\

I love Bukowski and my girlfirend has Flannery O;Connor, Plath & Cohen.

Also love Neil Stephenson and am reading The Metamorphosis-Kafka

New Jerzey via Detroit

^ Definitely among my favourites.

I will also second/third/fourth etc Slaughterhouse 5 as well as On the Road by Kerouac. I don't think anyone has mentioned A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole or Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs either. Both of which I enjoyed very much.

I'm looking for suggestions regarding which Haruki Murakami book to read next. I read Kafka on the Shore and I kinda liked it, but didn't love it, and want to give him another go. Is anyone a fan and can recommend their favourite?

In the same vein, I haven't read any Bukowski, so a suggestion would be much appreciated.

Who enjoys Borges?

Borges is one of my dads all-time favorite authors - my dad is a writer himself(not well-known but he has had stuff published). anyways, i ought to go read some more Borges. . . its been a while.

i love Hermann Hesse as well - Demian, Narcissus and Goldmund, Siddhartha - those are the three i remember enjoying a lot.

Kaleidoscope by Danielle Steel
A Time To Kill by John Grisham
Nancy Drew by Caroline Keene
The Motive by Jonathan Kellerman
if you're looking for romance try any Nora Roberts novel:)

Anyone have a copy of the room by hubert selby? A pdf would be really good please pm me as ive tried looking for it on torrents and failed please. :cool:

^I do but only hard copy. You can get it off Amazon, Amazon used books = the most wonderful thing in the universe (you can get tons of out of print books and everything is usually priced under $5... just have to wait a year and a day for it arrive :p).

I am currently reading:

Dune
Some of the Dharma by Jack Kerouac
as well as various books from Abarham Maslow, Carl Jung, Ken Wilber, Anything buddhistic

I am interested in anything psychological, philosophical, artistic, deep science fiction, I also like poetry

^ i recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons. its a lot like dune - same era of sci fi. strong fantasy element. deepest storyline ive ever read, except maybe p.k. dick. amazing. check out anything by him. he is one of the best american prose writers alive today imo

Currently devoting the most attention to blood meridian and just finished chandler's the little sister. Just picked up infinite jest and am a bit daunted by another 1000+ pager. But it's been heavily reccomended to me by everyone who has read it.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is excelent and ties in to a lot of his other stories.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. very sad and beautiful story about a father and son surviving post apocalypse.

And of coarse Finnegans Wake is always fun to read some passages from.

I'm a huge Palahniuk fan too. What was your favorite?

I have only read all of fight club and bits of choke and rant. Not my fav but I find some of his early stufff quite potent.

I am currently most in love with among the thugs by bill buford. I'd recommend it especially to any non us. Resident who wants a small glimpse into the cultural misunderstandings/gulfs surrounding americans incomprehension of certains aspects of football and in general really.(not me I'm a yankee red devil, barca, monaco fan.)

i just picked up Rosshalde by Herman Hesse.

im really loking forward to reading this, Hesse used to be my favorite author but i havent read him in years. This should be good. ui always feel so enlightened after finishing a hesse book.