• Words Moderators: Mysterier

⫸STICKY⫷ Books - Authors & Books Discussion

1. neil gaiman - american gods (weird!)
2. everything by matt ruff
3. irvine welsh's classics

Mysterier said:
Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

I was going to post this one...
I liked Catch 22 by Joseph Heller a lot. About the second world war, but pretty funny and absurd.

Im also a big Chuck/Hunter fan, and recently started getting into some of Salman Rushdies material.

Grimus (yes, thats the name of the book) is about a young indian that finds himself on a bizarre, mystical island. If you like stuff that feels like an acid-trip gone awry, this is the book for you.

Another of Rushdies, the Satanic Verses, is in itself a mind-fuck.
Simply put: This book starts with the 2 main characters plummeting downward after their airplane explodes. And thats only the first chapter ;)

Also, if you can handle Irvine Welsh material, Maribou Stork Nightmares is pretty much the definition of 'mind-fuckery on the verge of disturbing'. Hell of a book.

The San Fransisco street-map...

The story is poor, but the places are so real...

Anyone in this forum read any Joyce Carol Oates? I am looking for recommendations to get from my library. I have read her short novella Beasts and am going to get another of her novellas, Rape: A love Story and The collector of hearts: new tales of the grotesque from my library.

I am looking for any recommendations really if anyone is familiar with her work. I am not sure what novel to check out though. It is easy to just grab a novella since they are short.

Just curious to know if anyone on here was familiar with her work or had any suggestions, thanks!

Just finished reading the Acid House by Irvine Welsh... pretty badass and somewhat disturbing... but good nonetheless.

Don DeLillo- White Noise
" " - Underworld

Italo Calvino- If on a Winter's Night a Traveler
" " - Mr. Palomar

like nothing you've read before

^Eh, White Noise is alright. It sometimes reads like his characters are just vessells for Postmodern theory though. I mean, would some of his kids REALLY talk like they do?

Lee. said:
Just finished reading the Acid House by Irvine Welsh... pretty badass and somewhat disturbing... but good nonetheless.

I read Ecstasy by Welsh a couple months ago and *loved* it. Acid House is one of the few books by him that I haven't read, but it's definitely on my to read list, thanks for the reminder. :) He's a great author.

Changed - I've heard Italo Calvino is amazing, is he worth pursuing? I've got a "to read" list of books I own about as tall as I am.

Just finished Sri Isopanisad by A.C.Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. An Amazing introduction to Vedanta. Just started Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman aka how our world is going to destroy itself with overconsumption or how we can stop it.

Roberto Bolano

He is probably the most important latin american author since Marquez, and he's been gaining increased US recognition with Savage Detectives and 2666.

He wrote 2666 on his deathbed (he died roughly 3 years ago)

The man's writing is GOLD.

The five people you meet in heaven, i know it sounds lame, but i really liked it, i haven't met anyone who hasn't. may change some perspectives on things.

I'm looking for some new reading material... specifically something psychedelic or on the fringe, ala Clockwork Orange, anything Italo Calvino, etc...