• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bluelight Stall - Part Two - Please Read

any update on if we have to have a business name to operate as a non-profit organisation or anything on that front?

I am having a meeting this saturday with a prominent Youth Worker to explain what we aim to do - she will then go off and look into whether we need to register as a non profit or another option is getting auspiced by someone else.
------------------
Careful with that axe Eugene....

okay, i suspect this question i'm about to pose is going to go down like a lead balloon but its a worry i have, so here goes....
will we be able to go as far as pill testing (eventually) and still have strong affiliations to bluelight?
the reason i ask is, if we are going to do pill testing, for obvious reasons, we will have criticism hurled at us for being "pro drug" and we will need a high level of credibility to manage it.
*but* what if a media person, police person, govt person doesnt like the idea of pill testing and wants to shut us down. they get a hold of our literature, go onto bluelight, and dont even get as far as our regional discussion where we're quite sensible. they just end up on the bluelight social 2000 forum instead.
surely any credibility we have would go out the window? the thing is that unlike dancesafe, which when you look at it, you could argue that its not pro-drug - bluelight *is* pro-drug. its basically a bunch of ppl who like taking drugs talking about taking drugs, and there is a high level of subjectivity going on.
and then you have the kind of criticism such as that given by the reporter from abcnews.com, dealing with the medical issues. even i see that particular criticism as somewhat valid.
i know we all love bluelight and see its virtues, but how many outside ppl would see it the same way when coming from an antidrug stance? promoting safety and promoting bluelight might be construed as different things by some.
my thought was,(if this was considered to be a possible eventuality) that in our literature we include links to *several* sites including dancesafe and anti-drug ones, to show a balance, and keep bluelight out of the spotlight in regard to a pill testing stall. if we want to walk around and hand out cards, or give out stuff outside as ppl are leaving fine, thats our prerogative, but as a seperate thing to the stall itself.
i dont mean to say that we shouldnt promote bluelight as we plan to, i'm just giving a worst-case scenario type thing that maybe we should think about before launching ahead? i dont want us to start this only to have it stopped by narrow minds.
what does everyone think about this? (here's where you all tell me how misguided i am and i stop worrying)
smile.gif

To me Atomica that seems like a very valid point.
But perhaps on the other hand we won't be places where we'll be coming up against any opposition. Our stands will be in the middle of a perfect target market so to speak - and hopefully only party heads wil get their hands on our material.
We probably wouldn't attract the attention of the general public unless something goes wrong *touch wood* or undercovers go out of their way to start shit - which they *probably* wouldn't, or would they? Maybe we should approach the law and ask for their opinion on the matter in case we find out when it's too late? - they could make life hard for us if they wanted to.

*sigh* i really want to say "fuck em we are pro-drug" but i guess thats going to make too many of you nervous... we are pro-choice, pro-knowledge... is that better?
i really don't see the problem with being pro-drug. NORML is.
but if we have to put it in the language of harm mimimisation and "just say know" then so be it.
but i would not want to see us in anyway distance our selves from Bluelight. we all know that Bluelight is a good thing, and we need to have to courage to stand by that.

Very good point atomica and it is something that must be discussed - because it holds many issues. I always intended that the stall be a seperate entity to Blulight itself - a full functioning and registered non-profit organisation. As much as I love Bluelight, it's people are a a part of my life, I feel that the stall needs to stand on it's own two feet with no affiliation with the promotions of drug use - no matter how suttle it may be. From my experience in the Youth Work field I know what we will be up against and let me tell you we will be up against alot of people trying to shut us down. There is nothing wrong with providing information guiding people to Bluelight - but I don't think we can be affiliated. My idea for the stall is to provide information to empower people to make informed choices about their safety, and also help and promote a safe scene - this is the main issues for me.
I have thought long and hard about this and I also have my career as a Youth Worker to consider - my reputation will be shot to flames if I am associated with anything poromoting the use of drugs. I do not expect any focus to be altered to accomodate me - shit far from it!!! I am a very honest person and I want everyone to know where I stand on the issue. This project is a people's project, always has been and always will be. I will supprot in no matter what. If it is decided in the end that the Stall will be affiliated with Bluelight I can only offer my services as an advisory - I cannot be linked to the stall directly. I know this seems harsh but I have to protect my career. I have spent the day on the phone with two prominent youth workers in the field, looking for advice and options and this is what it boils down to. So please do not be angry with me - I luv ya's all
smile.gif

But enough about me - it's not important - what's important is that we get this idea into reality and atomica's point needs to addressed. We must looked into every scenario and have a defense for everything that might be thrown at us.
Please no flames - just being honest with the people I care for and a project that is dear to my heart
smile.gif

------------------

jb i dont mind saying i'm prodrug, cuz i am! and all who know me know what i do on my w/ends.
i just dont want our best efforts to keep ppl safe being undermined.
but if you think that we will not get in hot water over it, if you are really sure, so be it
smile.gif

why cant promoting bl and the stall be two seperate things?
i would be quite happy to hand out lil cards or stickers w/ the bl address on them. but maybe not at the same time i'm doing pill testing and handing out safety literature. not because it makes me personally nervous, i have nothing to hide. i doubt any of us would ever go to jail over this, assuming we do our job properly and proffessionally. more because its something the powers that be could easily put a stop to, and we need to make sure we dont give them an excuse.
is our first priority getting people on bluelight? in which case maybe consider not pill testing at all, or is it going all out to provide the best service at the party level, in which case these issues are relevant.
i dont think we can be blase about this and we cant just go "well yeah actually i think ppl should take drugs if they want to" i'm not out to change mainstream perceptions, i just want to try and make sure ppl are keeping safe and that means pandering to mainstream perception. its a fine line

RaveSafe have contacted me and arranged for us to sit in on one of their meetings next wednesday 19/10/00 at 7:30 pm. If anyone is interested in accompanying me to this meeting please let me know.
Thank you
smile.gif

------------------

Sorry about not being able to make it tonight guys. Really wish I could attend but unfortunately I've just been forwarned about my uni "participation" and have to make it up in a class presentation. phhhh..what a load of crock.
As BFD said, can we please be informed of our progress? I hope the meeting goes well.
Also, let me know if you want me to contact EE about info or perhaps attending the next meeting. I will be attending the next meeting for sure.
Please rest assured I do want to be involved in this guys, I'm not flaking out. Just uni may get in the way every now and then. It's end of session and assessments/exams count.
*grrr* I HATE EXAMS!!! (does anyone have any good ideas for stress relief?)
Hopefully catch up soon??
------------------
Submit yourself to the aural temptations of the world - seduce or be seduced.
Temptress

I dont have time to respond to this properly now.... work! but I agree wholeheartedly with both Atomica and Haste.
I too work in the social welfare sector - it's a very small industry and like it or not being identified with something that is 'pro-drug' is not the best strategy in terms of professional development.
I agree with Atomica - why should these two things not be separate.
I'll raise this issue tonight at the Sydney meeting. I think there will be several bluelighters who feel the same way.
Finn
smile.gif

oki think i should clear a few things up here.
Bluelight is not pro-drugs. it just isn't anti them.
Bluelight may seem like a pro-drug place but that is only because of the views of people who visit and use it.
Bluelight itself is just a message board, with a topic. admittedly it is a controversial topic. it can not be held accountable for the actions or opinions held by it's members.
so that'sthe official bit. on a more personal note i have to say that if this effort and Bluelight are to be considered seperate entities then my allegiances lie with Bluelight.
but i am right behind this effort, and i will be giving it my full support and volunteering for any events...and i will respect the wishes of those running it.

Thanks for the understanding johnboy - but like I said this project belongs to the people of bluelight and the ultimate decision will be a group one. Let me stress that if it were to go on under the name of Bluelight it would have my 100% support, I just can't be directly linked to it - thats all I was getting at. I think this needs to be further discussed because it is a rather large issue. Linked or not - it will always be a Bluelight Stall - it was born here and made a reality here - and will be run by Bluelighters. Everyone should be immensely proud that they are participating in something that will make such a positive mark on the scene. I congratulate you all - WELL DONE!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

We have alot of work to do before it is a reality, but we have come along way!!
One last thing - the pamphlets that we produce will be Bluelight pamhlets, to be made available with all the other pamphlets that we have. Bluelight will always be promoted - whether directly or indirectly
smile.gif

Now let the people speak on the direction they wish to take it!
Thank You
smile.gif

------------------

haste: i agree that the stall should not seen to be affiliated with bluelight as in the future when we pill test and possibly media attention we do not want to be tarnished by being quoted saying things in a less professional manner. as for bluelight pamphlets, is that making it a bluelight stall then? i would have thought that we could include bluelight as a link amongst others but only linked as an addition rescource. i dont mean to shun bluelight or anything like that but i think the affiliation should be kept to a minimum, and we should start our own unique presence. its either we are fully bluelight, or we are not, in my opinion.
also ill be at that meeting only a bit late cause i gotta play vollyball :/ hopefully i can be there at 8.
[This message has been edited by Cowboy Mac (edited 11 October 2000).]