• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Best prescription drug for social anxiety in party settings?

Do you have experience with both? If so, what would be the main difference between the two in regards to the effect?

No I've never had them but I know what they're like. Have u ever tried Coke? Maybe take small amounts while at a party, but it can make u paranoid over time. Oxycodone is quite stimulating for an Opioid and I'd probably recommend it but it's very addictive and its very doubtful you'll get it off your doctor unless you've got a genuine pain issue. I'm prescribed 120mg IR a day and my morning dose always gives me that "get up and go" feeling with Euphoria but it doesn't last long.

Maybe try an Opioid and Benzo combination but only in small doses.

I'd recommend Oxycodone + Alprazolam but like I said it's getting hold of them.

Oxycodone has effects like nose candy in addition to the typical morphinian effects for a lot of people. The carisoprodol potentiates all of this, the anxiolysis and warmth in particular. I wouldn't say it feels like alcohol. There is a distinctive carisoprodol euphoria, produced by the meprobamate into which it is metabolised. The Bolivian Marching Powder-like Oxy effects are primarily the social ones, with the extra loquaciousness there and the feelings of great power not so much in my experience. And it lasts for hours and is quite durable.

My dictionary usage has increased by %100 since I started reading your posts

We have something called kat that is super for social events but doubt its available anywhere except for south africa. Its also a stimulant

But I do like the people in them. And, aren't all parties high energy? I mean, isn't a party high energy by definition?

You could meet up with them in other places? I attend lots of parties that I wouldn't say are typical 'high energy' - cocktail parties, dinner parties, house parties, pool parties, beach parties etc.

I went ahead and mentioned alcohol in my reply ... just in case you end up having some drinks. But my reply may still help even if you do not drink at a social gathering.

Benzodiazepines help me, but I know that most doctors prescribe them for short-term usage. They do not go well with alcohol so I do not recommend it for safety reasons.

The above poster that mentioned an opiate and Carispodal (Soma)...I agree with them. However, again, they are definitely contraindicated with alcohol.

If you are a candidate for an SSRI, escitolopram (Lexapro) substantially decreased my Social Anxiety disorder. It is marketed for General Anxiety disorder, but I noticed a distinct improvement as to both anxiety disorders. (I discontinued it because my OCD came back full force, which previously was under control taking Sertraline (Zoloft).

Most doctors will advise to not drink alcohol if you take an SSRI, either...a small number of doctors will strongly caution minimal alcohol intake (1-2 servings) on special occasions/social gatherings. I personally do not think it as dangerous as the above drugs, but I have no medical knowledge, just personal experience or unofficial research.

I have taken Adderall IR (prescribed, 20 mg twice a day) and they made me more talkative, definitely in social settings. They tend to dehydrate, as does alcohol, so being mindful of hydration is very important. It can increase anxiety, however, particularly when it starts to wear off (4-6 hours).

I also have taken Vyvanse, but it lasts several hours and it made me physically tense and very introspective (not social).

The anxiety from the “comedown” on a stimulant ADHD meds is something that you may mentally need to “ride out” (eating, hydration, sleep hygiene factor in). A benzodiazepine or an opiate would substantially alleviate a comedown, especially a benzodiazepine. Taking in Vitamin C will flush the stimulant effects rapidly, so that is an option. I heard Ritalin is a rough comedown, but haven’t taken it.

I do not think it would be wise to take Adderall or another stimulant ADD/ADHD medication for the first time at a party. Trying it at home first would be better, sort of like testing a “setting” for psychedelics. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) is a stimulant antidepressant that has been approved for ADHD/ADD treatment, but alcohol is strictly contraindicated due to seizure risk.

Lastly, it can be hard to “feel” the effects of alcohol while on Adderall (D-Amphetamine salts, is the generic, I think). Some people cannot “feel” the alcohol effects and end up drinking a lot more than anticipated.

That is my opinion keeping in mind harm reduction on drugs that I am familiar with. Alcohol always gives me increased anxiety the next day, it isn’t a good substance for my mental health.

Frankly, I don’t go to social functions unless I want to. I do make sure that I go out and I am not a hermit. Therapy can help you handle your anxiety, something for your mental health toolbox.

If you want to go, it is good to be able to have the option to leave when you want to - if you go with a group and do not have transportation then you can get stuck there for longer than you want. Just knowing you can leave whenever you want, if you are not having a good time, is recommended.

Take care.

Last edited:
I'm going to be the buzzkill now...

You've asked a similar question before.
Do you think you may have a generalized anxiety disorder? I myself certainly do. Yes, recreational bliss and toying with these types of quick fix drugs (hence my user name) can alleviate anxiety.. however, I'm assuming the underlining issue will still exist for you once the party is over; that's when you can easily fall down the rabbit hole...
I'm no hypocrite, I play about with weed, prescription drugs like Ritalin, Tramadol, Lyrica, oxy etc... BUT... I know that they aren't sustainable.
I'm on Lexapro and an anti anxiety med that I take daily. These are my staples.
Getting high is all well and good, but have you considered addressing the underlying issues at all? Just from what I can gather from your posts, it does appear that something legit taken for the long term may help settle your anxiety, at least enough to be comfortable in social situations. No, you won't be buzzing or lose all inhibitions with GAD meds, but they do help.

Lastly, it can be hard to “feel” the effects of alcohol while on Adderall (D-Amphetamine salts, is the generic, I think). Some people cannot “feel” the alcohol effects and end up drinking a lot more than anticipated.

@MaggieV THIS ^^^^ So very true. When taken I can drink endless amounts of alcohol and not feel drunk at all.
The hangover still exists, sadly... ?

Your only appropriate choices are an ssri approved for GAD, gabapentin, or hydroxyzine (or a combination thereo).

I don’t know how to phrase this without sounding like a dick but if you are using anxiety as an excuse to get high then a number of recreational drugs would be appropriate. Top of the list would be amphetamine or methylphenidate. Some find success at the beginning of their opiate use but that does not last in my experience.

However, you should really recognize that most people are anxious about social interaction, especially young people.

I don’t think drugs are the answer here unless you want to end up like me: a poly-drug addict going on a decade, usually the best looking one in the room (despite the drug use), and still too afraid to talk to girls.

Your only appropriate choices are an ssri approved for GAD, gabapentin, or hydroxyzine (or a combination thereo).

I don’t know how to phrase this without sounding like a dick but if you are using anxiety as an excuse to get high then a number of recreational drugs would be appropriate. Top of the list would be amphetamine or methylphenidate. Some find success at the beginning of their opiate use but that does not last in my experience.

However, you should really recognize that most people are anxious about social interaction, especially young people.

I don’t think drugs are the answer here unless you want to end up like me: a poly-drug addict going on a decade, usually the best looking one in the room (despite the drug use), and still too afraid to talk to girls.
You very well might be me in another dimension buddy

Phenibut every-time, I asked myself this same question years ago. This was my answer after a long hard search ?

Gabapentin is a good Rx for my social anxiety.

Some claim that it doesn't work for them. But for me it's very similar to alcohol without all the bad decisions.

It's almost like it gets your body drunk, but your brain high on weed. All minor inhibitions disappear, but you can still function.

It's a commonly prescribed drug, very cheap, and very difficult to overdose on.

I do not recommend standard amphetamines to combat social anxiety ,awkwardness, or just plain nervousness. The l amphetamine will just make your condition worse, I would know as I suffer the OP exact problems. This May sound fucked up, but i would def look into methamphetamine, it is alot smoother then adderall minus the negative side effects . If gives me a sense of self confidence Adderall doesn't give me, and it lasts all day without having to redose

Gabapentin works for me too Opi, better than Pregabalin weirdly. Anything Gaba b and calcium channel blocking and you are social and involved not introvert and in your head.

You can try taking a benzo with a small dose of some amp like one has suggested ritalin or adderall / Vyvanse, or genuinely, i never really advocatw reccomending someone start taking opiates but Oxycodone sounds like your pwrfect fix, for an opiate feels like an upper, and is hella nice, will make you talkative etc just dont take oxy often or thou shall walk through the opiate gates of hell

Not a bad idea Dersch ???.

However we have no control over that. I know I have said it already, but you won’t beat Phenibut if it agrees with you. Pretty much what the Russkie designed it for. All consuming public panic and unable to make eye contact, does that sound familiar to you?

I do not recommend standard amphetamines to combat social anxiety ,awkwardness, or just plain nervousness. The l amphetamine will just make your condition worse, I would know as I suffer the OP exact problems. This May sound fucked up, but i would def look into methamphetamine, it is alot smoother then adderall minus the negative side effects . If gives me a sense of self confidence Adderall doesn't give me, and it lasts all day without having to redose

That is definitely true -- there was a time when a student I know was very nervous about approaching a member of the opposite sex, and having read in a textbook that six cups of coffee are like a couple of lines of C-Jam, drank 10 cups of coffee at T minus two hours and the nervousness kept him where he was for much of the day, then summoning the sandman at 23.00 that evening with several tablets of Miltown and a quick whiff of either ether or chloroform.

I handed him some Vikes when I heard this later the same week and pointed him to where he could do his due diligence to dispel any concern that he would turn into a street junky before using them. The Vikes plus cold medicine plus one tablet of Miltown plus two cups of coffee in his words turned him into a new man and he succeeded with the young lady and now they have four or five kids. They all call the American football team for which they root "The Minnesota Vike-Eaters" now.

Hydrocodone can do wonders for a broken heart too, though unless it inspires some corrective action not formerly obvious (which I have seen happen) it will not correct the original situation -- but those moments of bliss and artificial Gemütlichkeit and Zen at the right juncture can make the difference betwixt moving on and becoming a happy and productive member of society and an angry fellow doing circle jerks in a cave with DB Cooper . . .

Last edited: