Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The Shining

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Voted A Clockwork Orange. I loved that movie. My only complaint about it would be that it ended at the true second to last chapter of the book. Some editions contain the last chapter and some do not.

Spoilers for those who have read the book or are interested in reading it (also an explanation of the final chapter as I remember it, so major spoilers ahead.)

NSFW:
I do not know if it was censorship at the time or what, but it seems to me that the protagonist growing out of his antisocial ways after meeting his friend in a bar is a way more sensible way to end the book, and would have been great for the movie.

I can never hear "I'm singing in the Rain" the same way again.

^yeah he based it on the "american version". great book. great movie.

this was a tough decision between Strangelove, the Shining, and A Clockwork Orange.

I was able to whittle it down to the Shining and A Clockwork Orange because I am infatuated with those two novels, and it is seldom that a movie can even hold the jock of the written word version.

I picked the Shining because I am a sucker for horror, I think that Kubrick did a stellar job in making that movie scary. the original novel by Steven King was actually a very terrifying read and it translated very well into the silver screen. thanks to the directing prowess of Kubrick.

I don't know how many of you saw the Shining miniseries (BBC, perhaps?) but that was pretty awful. Kubrick will go down as one of my all time faves. although, I have never seen Eyes Wide Shut. am I missing anything?

^yes. i <3 EWS, and have ever since seeing it in the theatre in its strange, yet atmospheric tv-like aspect ratio.

only having seen a select few of the list i have to go for the first half of FMJ i absolutely love it maybe when i watch more (thanks to the list) ill have a favourite second half :p

I was just thinking the other day at EWS and how epic the mansion scene was.

I went with the Shining. I havent seen EWS since I was about 13-14 but I remember being quite fond of that film as well.

I think you either love Eyes Wide Shut or you hate it. I think it's excellent, but Kubrick is my favourite director, and it's hard for me to decide whether it's in my top 5 Kubrick movies or not. I love how damn strange it is. Who the hell else would make a movie like that during the time it came out? Kubrick and his mysterious and utterly strange characters. =D

Also, my The Shining blu-ray arrived in the mail yesterday. Had work today but have tomorrow and public holiday Monday off, so tonight is an opportune moment to watch a great film. Can you believe the title can't be found in my suburb? I tried two department stores and another electronic store renowned for it's selection. I was very surprised, so turned to eBay in the end.

It's either The Shining or The Godfather: Part II, tonight. I'm starting to think the latter is a tad too long for my tired state. Keen to see the quality of the blu-ray transfer of the former, reportedly only second to 2001's quality of all Kubrick blu-ray titles so far.

i recently watched the 2001 bluray whe it came in from quickflix. pretty nice transfer, but it didn't blow me away. maybe cuz i saw it on the big screen when it was re-released.

I've heard some mixed reviews about EWS. good or not, out of respect for Kubrick it has been on my very deep "must see movies" list

i recently watched the 2001 bluray whe it came in from quickflix. pretty nice transfer, but it didn't blow me away. maybe cuz i saw it on the big screen when it was re-released.
Yeah, I thought 2001 was pretty fantastic. It's not perfect, I rank it a tier below the likes of Baraka. But fantastic for a film over 40 years old. I did end up watching The Shining. It's a very significant improvement over the DVD, it's obvious from the opening shots of their car driving through the mountains. But a clear step down from 2001 again. Take that for what it's worth.

either dr strangelove or the killing, though clockwork orange was good, even though there were some things in that movie that i didnt really need to see.

Close fight between The Shining and A Clockwork Orange. I won't even reveal which one I picked :) Second (third) place: Full Metal Jacket.

Stanley Kubrick

I was actually really surprised there was not already a Kubrick thread in the first 10 pages or so that I checked.

Anyway, one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.

So much depth and thought put into literally every aspect.

but yeah let's get a discussion going up in this bitch