Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The Shining

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
If we're talking about Kubrick as auteur, it's probably 2001 followed by Clockwork Orange.

If we're talking about simply the best film, hands down Dr. Strangelove. But the success of Dr. Strangelove owes as much or more to Terry Southern and Peter Sellers as it does to Stanley Kubrick.

but then, benefit you could say the same with 2001 and aurther c clarke and with a clockwork orange and anthony burgess.

I like this poll better because it shows more votes for Eyes Wide Shut... I think this is Kubrick's most complete and fully-realized film, and contains the fewest flaws or chances for being dated in the future. The dialogue, cinematography, acting - and to some extent the story/logical flow, which take a backseat to the overall feel of the film (a feat that virtually no director can pull off and still achieve perfection) - all combine to create something that can be either a comedy or a dark drama depending on the mood you're in. This film can not be categorized, and can't even be labeled as typical Kubrick, which is why I think there was negative reception upon its initial release. When it first came out, I was about 14 or 15 and didn't really appreciate it, and eventually bought into the negative hype and adopted a sour opinion of the film. As I grew older, I began to appreciate it more and more - sometimes you need to wait to see movies imo, especially ones with huge initial hype, to see the film stand on its own. Also, I may have been a too immature to understand the subtleties when I first saw it. There are only a few things I can think of that are more exciting and stimulating than sitting down and watching this film in a dark room.

^i loved it on initial viewing and i've loved it exponentially more with each successive viewing. good call.

Absolutely. I think EWS is one of Kubrick's very best. Brilliant, beautiful, and layered as an onion.

^EWS hasn't held up as well for me as time goes on, though I still admire the hell out of it.

has anybody seen the killing - kubrick made it in 1956. i knoew very little about it and was very pleasantly surprised. it's a great movie with some extremely innovative direction for its time.

An excellent crime caper. It doesn't have the gravity or presence of Stanley's later efforts, but it's very exciting for what it is. Definitely one of Sterling Hayden's best roles. I also loved the huge boxer who started a fight at the bar as a diversion.

2001 gets my vote. Probably my favorite film of all time. Every frame of that film is a fucking masterpiece. And the way he uses music is astonishing - The Blue Danube gets the most attention, but the Ligeti requiem that accompanies the appearance of the monolith is even better.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."
alasdair

oh my fucking god thank you, i burst out laughing after reading this. I'd have to go with Dr. Strangelove, but 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket are all WAAAYY too ridiculous.

I've yet to see Eyes Wide Shut and Barry Lyndon

A clockwork orange all the way. His other films are good, but The orange just stuck with me all my life. Its also a bit creepy, but my friend Dave looks just like Alex from ACWO;)

Can't believe there's only one vote for Barry Lyndon. It's probably Kubrick's best after 2001.

yay! which is the best Kubrick-directed movie?

the poll limits the choices to 10 so i used his 10 most recent films. hope that makes sense.

alasdair
all amazing movies. you should make a best David Lynch- directed movie poll as well :)

I just watched Space Odyssey for the first time yesterday.......wtf......it was brilliant but I am also reminded of a futurama quote:

Fry: "This reminds me of that drug trip I watched while on a drug trip"

or something like that

Can't believe there's only one vote for Barry Lyndon. It's probably Kubrick's best after 2001.
But judging from your post, even you didn't vote for it. I have a huge appreciation for Barry Lyndon, but I can barely split it from the bulk of that list. Only A Clockwork Orange really stands out for me, and that's how I voted.

if it hadn't been for 'eyes wide shut' which strikes a chord for me for many reasons, i would have voted for barry lyndon - it's definitely kubrick's unsung masterpiece.

alasdair

Just recently watched Lolita in the perfect atmosphere. It was good. I've never read Lolita by Vladimir what's his name, but I did read Sinister Bend and judging by the author's apparent genius I can't imagine Lolita even catches an inch of whatever is inside that book. Barry Lyndon is next on my list, just because of the way it was shot.