• The Shining

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Smurf...see 2001 next

well since I had to pick one I went with A Clockwork Orange...

but I could have easily voted for 2001

I need to see the rest of these as well...also considering that Kubrick is easily my favorite writer/director thus far.

and on the AI tip...it would have been quite interesting if Kubrick would have still been alive and able to do the film as he inteded it...

I would love to get my hands on all that he wrote about the making of the movie...and maybe get a better idea where he was heading with it...

such a close call but 2001 gets it. What a masterpice of film making. Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Strangeglove, and Eyes Wide Shut are all very close behind and should not be missed.

all of kubricks films are masterpeices, at least in my opinion. gotta go with clockwork on this one, but 2001 rocked my world too...

I've only so far seen... A Clockwork Orange, THe Shining and FUll Metal Jacket.
They were all excellent in my opinion.

Hehe...who would've thought in the BL world that A Clockwork Orange would be the majority vote? :p

Personally, I voted for Dr. Strangelove, but that was just to try and even the numbers a little since A Clockwork Orange has been my favorite for quite a few years now. Ain't nothing like a bit of the 'ol ultraviolence.

Really though, I almost like all of his films equally...with the exception of Eyes Wide Shut. I didn't mind it much, but I felt that it just wasn't completely a Kubrick film as he didn't get to complete his own finished product. Rather, it was a collaboration of directors trying to put together the film as they felt Kubrick would have wanted it.

I'm gonna go with the shining. I can kind of relate to it: I work at a hotel and I can see where it'd make you go crazy. my dad also reminds me of Jack in the film, espeically when he's mad.

Good to see this thread is still active after a month. Great to see Kubricks work is still admired by many.

That scene in Full Metal Jacket, in the military academy bathroom.... that always gets under my skin. Or when Jack chases Wendy up the stairs in The Shining... *shudders*

so I voted for 2001 in a flash of spontenaity. :)

Favorites would have to be Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange which was a good adaption from the book. The shining however I hated, really bad adaption, Jack Nicholson was so the wrong person for that character. He was supposed to be a fairly nice guy (subject to temper tantrums when drunk) , who got influened by the house, not a complete arsehole from the start.

great soundtrack for that one, the shining... wendy carlos w/ kubrick was like bread & butter.

has anybody seen the killing - kubrick made it in 1956. i knoew very little about it and was very pleasantly surprised. it's a great movie with some extremely innovative direction for its time.

alasdair

I have always wanted to see Barry Lyndon, mainly because it shows just how skillful Kubrick was. I've seen some snippets of the scenes where all they have have used is candles for lighting and the picture quality is amazing! I thought 2001 Space Odessey was great, but I'd still put it forth behind ACO, FMJ and The Shinning respectively.

RIP Stanley Kubrick, a man who chose substance over glossy simplstic films all the way up (and not including) eye wide shut.

Originally posted by alasdairm
i watched the shining recently after not having seen it for ages and it was much better than i remembered.

i definitely recommend revisiting it - let us know what you think?

alasdair

ok, did so. strangely enough, i also ended up watching a clockwork orange (on a massive projector screen no less) in the same week.

my thoughts: like you said, the shining was *far* better than i recall - i really, really enjoyed it. his use of the massive set to create tension, and his "creeping around the corners" camera-work (especially with danny on his tricycle) was fantastic. conversely, i didn't enjoy a clockwork orange anywhere near as much, and it's subsequently dropped to one of my least favourites.

in both films we see that kubrick loves his symetrical framing, and in clockwork it got to be too much for me - that coupled with his intensely ott "future stylings" just kind of revealed that he hadn't added much depth from the book itself. of course, i still enjoyed it, but i certainly don't consider it a classic that i once did.

otoh, the shining i do consider a classic now (though i was aware of its status as that before, i just figured *i* was wrong :)) - nicholson is great, kubrick is great (directorially, obviously), and it's such a great atmospheric film. so there ya go :)

Last edited:
A Clockwork Orange

Malcolm McDowell with an amazing performance. Apparently he can no longer use eye-drops because of their use in this movie...

And Wendy Carlos' soundtrack is fucking amazing, I love that deep droning Moog bass.

Great to see the poll still running after a few months. Keep 'em coming.

Originally posted by alasdairm
has anybody seen the killing - kubrick made it in 1956. i knoew very little about it and was very pleasantly surprised. it's a great movie with some extremely innovative direction for its time.

alasdair

i saw it yesterday and quite enjoyed it. i'd be interested in hearing what you think about its effect on future movies; i would be surprised if it didn't have a big effect on quentin tarantino, and several other films too. the narrative style (with messed up time) is very similar to pulp fiction, and the big kahuna burger scene, where the guy comes out of the room shooting, seems to be a direct homage?

i wish i didn't smoke so much weed, then perhaps i could remember which other films i thought had referenced it :)

good film though...