Votes: 1 1.3%
  • The Shining

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Kubrick is my all time favorite director! Kubrick's masterpierce is 2001, followed by A.I. I know you're gonna say it, Speilberg directed and produced A.I. But A.I. was Kubrick's work in progress when he died. Some of the effects an other contributions are Speilburg's, but the concept and story line are all Kubrick, the story boards were Kubrick's. That is enough to make the film a Speilberg/Kubrick collabaration at the least, which still makes it a Kubrick film, a Speilberg film too, you get the point. Speilberg says in the special features of the DVD version he went out of his way to make this as much Kubrick's film as he possibly could.

Anyhow, If I had a list it'd go like this
1. 2001, A Space Odyssey
2. A.I.
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Dr Strangelove
5. Full Metal Jacket

Last edited:
I said clockwork, but that's only because I haven't seen a lot of his other work. Renting videos is hard work, you know.

expatriate said:
Kubrick is my all time favorite director Kubrick's masterpierce is 2001, followed by A.I. I know you're gonna say it, Speilburg directed and produced A.I. But A.I. was Kubrick's work in progress when he died. Some of the effects an other contributions are Speilburg's, but the concept and story line are all Kubrick, the story boards were Kubrick's. That is enough to make the film a Speilburg/Kubrick collabaration at the least, which still makes it a Kubrick film, a Speilburg film too, you get the point. Speilburg says in the special features of the DVD version he went out of his way to make this as much Kubrick's film as he possibly could.

IMO, it's more Speilberg than Kubrick. My understanding is that Kubrick's vision for the film was much darker, philosophically deeper, and more brooding. Gigolo Joe was supposed to be more "adult". And the ending was supposed to be more tragic.

Speilberg's trademark touch is clear in the sugary-sweet fairy-tale feel of the movie, particularly in the ending. He wanted to movie to sell, and to be appropriate for "family entertainment" (i.e. PG instead of R). Kubrick would never had made these compromises.

spartacus was on pbs in letterbox last night

on my 20 inch tv i think the picture was maybe 6 inches high

damn 70mm film

FUll Metal jacket winns hands down.......no other movie compares.....as drill sgt hartman says....God has a hard-on for marines because we kill everything we see! He plays His games, we play ours!..........sooo true:);)

It's tough but I must go with 'A Clockwork Orange'

"viddy well little brotha's, viddy well..."

Mahan Atma, I agree, Kubrick was more bold and brave in his film making than Speilberg is. He was not concerned with the big group hug or warm fuzzy feeling at the end that Speilberg seems to require. Kubrick was less concerned with wrapping up the movie in one neat little package for the viewer. He prefered to leave the endin more open-ended and allow the viewer to draw some of his/her own conclusions. Eye's Wide Shut is a good example, there are open ended questions that the viewer must answer for themselves.

expatriate said:
Mahan Atma, I agree, Kubrick was more bold and brave in his film making than Speilberg is. He was not concerned with the big group hug or warm fuzzy feeling at the end that Speilberg seems to require.

Yup, exactly. I saw AI on a candyflip, for which the fairy-tale fuzziness was actually just perfect, but if you're not on drugs, it comes off as a bit corny! My wife, who saw the movie under the same conditions as me, had the whole amplified-empathy thing going big time, I think the film really touched her in that way.

Thanks Alasdairm. The poll you designed is great!
Keep 'em coming guys..

Mahan Atma, I agree, Kubrick was more bold and brave in his film making than Speilberg is. He was not concerned with the big group hug or warm fuzzy feeling at the end that Speilberg seems to require. Kubrick was less concerned with wrapping up the movie in one neat little package for the viewer. He prefered to leave the endin more open-ended and allow the viewer to draw some of his/her own conclusions. Eye's Wide Shut is a good example, there are open ended questions that the viewer must answer for themselves.

Very well put, expatriate. :)

God.... Dr. Strangelove was great, but then again so was Clockwork Orange that was a tough call.

I really need to get around to watching those other Kubrick movies. I've seen only Clockwork, 2001, The Shining and Strangelove. Out of the movies left over, who recommends what for me?

Ive only seen full metal Jacket... Its good... Skullfuck is the best call.

i chose clockwork, closely followed by eyes wide shut. they're both awesome films.

i didn't *particularly* like the shining when i saw it (a few years back now), but i get the feeling that it'd be better now...

i watched the shining recently after not having seen it for ages and it was much better than i remembered.

i definitely recommend revisiting it - let us know what you think?

alasdair