• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzodiazepine effects comparison

It was best seller in late 70,early 80.Rosche got skyrocketing their profits,after the first created benzo-chlordiazepoxide(librium),also made by them.Hard to overdose,but dangerous with different combos.I think,that benzos would gain a lot of popularity in coming years......just the life got soo stresfull,that without a benzos people will go totally insane.
Back in the 70s and 80s, it wasn't believed that serious physical dependency could occur with Benzo's (or at least, they did their very best to cover up the fact). It was considered a miracle cure and was being handed out like sweets. While it's almost impossible to overdose on Benzo's, it's very easy to die from the withdrawal if you do take a stupid dose.

Well.....the situation now is extraordinary.You know what i mean.At worst-end of humanity,at best unbelievable hardship for people in a small poor country.In general you are absolutely wright.....but now is not an ordinary time.Here i am glad,that lyrica is otc,despite i don't drink it......and another thing-i can't drink alc. because of the liver....wish the docs.prescribe something more strong that tramadol-at least dhc.

Every passing generation is the worst-end of humanity. A sense of impending doom has plagued humanity from the very beginning. There has never been an ordinary time.

Every passing generation is the worst-end of humanity. A sense of impending doom has plagued humanity from the very beginning. There has never been an ordinary time.
Where you live may i ask?If the horror is an inch from your ass don't talk please ...The time is Extraordinary.We are just. a step from total anihilation.For real this time.For real.So this"sense of impending doom that plagued humanity" is no proper at all.

Where you live may i ask?If the horror is an inch from your ass don't talk please ...The time is Extraordinary.We are just. a step from total anihilation.For real this time.For real.So this"sense of impending doom that plagued humanity" is no proper at all.
It was "for real" every other time as well. Take the cold war for example. Back in the 80s people were absolutely convinced that nuclear annihilation was just days to weeks away. Of course, ultimately, nothing really happened in the end.

Perhaps you're right though. Perhaps this time will be the time everything ends. If the end of the world is an every day prediction, then somebody is going to be right eventually.

Pray to God,if you believe in God man.For peace.That's nothing I can say.Survival of the planet is on the edge.

This is true, but it's also important to note that a not statistically insignificant number of people get paradoxical reactions benzos
I have this reaction to a few specific benzos. Notably diazepam and etizolam can make me quite manic and depressed. It's rather uncomfortable. It's odd because at the same time I feel good and relaxed, yet irritated and bad.

I'll often clean or organize the house because if I don't I start having horrible thoughts and emotions. It's almost stimulating in that aspect.

No other benzos do that to me, only those 2, from the ones I've tried.

oh yea - and the 2 or 3 times i took kolonipins, they didn't seem to work at all on me, so i never messed with them again

so yea all of these opinions are very specific to the user with benzos, just like @Xorkoth was saying

but i do like hearing others opinions on them because they do vary so greatly - and im all happy when somebody has the same reaction as me for some reason

i think what @deficiT posted hit the nail on the head on what i was trying to say

Benzo's are a short term "fix" for anxiety and stress, but are really just putting these issues on hold for a future date, where the issues are then multiplied to sometimes brutal levels. The real antidote for stress and anxiety is addressing life circumstances that lead to these issues in the first place.

this guy.....

Tongue in cheek but... yeah, let me just solve all my anxiety issues real quick. Dissolve SCOTUS and force them to allow liberties? Check. Ban all annoying people from playing rap music in traffic? Check. Make the world is 100% safe for my wife to walk down any street and never be molested? Check. Suddenly having 100 million dollars so I don't have any money problems ever again? Check! Okay, sounds like I'm anxiety free finally!

Oh wait...

money stresses me the fuck out

i dont like it

so just deal with it?

oh thanks lol

it's like moving around the furniture in your living room - yea it's the same couch and tv but it's all from a different angle now

LSD does the same thing for me

Benzo's are a short term "fix" for anxiety and stress, but are really just putting these issues on hold for a future date, where the issues are then multiplied to sometimes brutal levels. The real antidote for stress and anxiety is addressing life circumstances that lead to these issues in the first place.

I get where you're coming from but you could say this about almost everything. Blood pressure medication is just putting your hypertension issue on hold, the real antidote is to just lose weight and eat better. SSRIs are just putting your depression issues on hold, the real antidote is to get out of bed and go find purpose. Acetaminophen is just temporarily lowering your fever, it's not actually addressing the root cause. Etc.

My point is sometimes the best we can do is treat our symptoms. It's true that benzos aren't good for everyone long term. They aren't meant to be used casually by people who occasionally experience normal levels of stress that is natural in life. They're meant for people like me who have an anxiety disorder. Anxiety is very different than stress. And just because you experience anxiety doesn't mean you have a disorder.

I'd love to live without them. But the problem is, there is no cure for this. I tried therapy. I tried religion. I've been on probably ten different combinations of SSRIs, SNRIs, and NDRIs. As much as doctors claim to know about mental illness, they're still relying on guesswork the vast majority of times. There is no magic spell or secret code that will unlock "an answer". There is no "antidote". You aren't fixing a broken leg or a leaky faucet here, either. It's a bit more complicated than that.

In my opinion, any person's goal ought to be to find a way that best helps YOU navigate your way through life. Don't bury your head in the sand and lie to yourself. Don't ignore your health. But also don't feel guilty if you don't fit neatly into the box that society has constructed for you. I don't accept the idea that I'm somehow ignoring my issues because I choose to use a certain medication.

I'm very glad that other people find things like therapy and anti depressants beneficial, I really am. I'm glad those things are readily available and don't carry the stigma they once did. I would like to have that convenience for myself one day.

money stresses me the fuck out

i dont like it
I'll manage your money for you if you'd like.

Pinky swear.

I get where you're coming from but you could say this about almost everything. Blood pressure medication is just putting your hypertension issue on hold, the real antidote is to just lose weight and eat better. SSRIs are just putting your depression issues on hold, the real antidote is to get out of bed and go find purpose. Acetaminophen is just temporarily lowering your fever, it's not actually addressing the root cause. Etc.

My point is sometimes the best we can do is treat our symptoms. It's true that benzos aren't good for everyone long term. They aren't meant to be used casually by people who occasionally experience normal levels of stress that is natural in life. They're meant for people like me who have an anxiety disorder. Anxiety is very different than stress. And just because you experience anxiety doesn't mean you have a disorder.

I'd love to live without them. But the problem is, there is no cure for this. I tried therapy. I tried religion. I've been on probably ten different combinations of SSRIs, SNRIs, and NDRIs. As much as doctors claim to know about mental illness, they're still relying on guesswork the vast majority of times. There is no magic spell or secret code that will unlock "an answer". There is no "antidote". You aren't fixing a broken leg or a leaky faucet here, either. It's a bit more complicated than that.

In my opinion, any person's goal ought to be to find a way that best helps YOU navigate your way through life. Don't bury your head in the sand and lie to yourself. Don't ignore your health. But also don't feel guilty if you don't fit neatly into the box that society has constructed for you. I don't accept the idea that I'm somehow ignoring my issues because I choose to use a certain medication.

I'm very glad that other people find things like therapy and anti depressants beneficial, I really am. I'm glad those things are readily available and don't carry the stigma they once did. I would like to have that convenience for myself one day.

very true

I do wholeheartedly agree with "the best treatment for anxiety is to face it" and not with benzos, but both points are valid.

The thing about benzos compared to most other medications and ailments is that in the long run, if you stop taking them, your anxiety issue is typically worse off than when you started. You never faced your anxiety, benzos muted it, then when you stop the anxiety is worse due to avoidance plus gaba downregulation.

If I had the opportunity to be on benzos again I would absolutely do it, don't get me wrong.

But learning to cope and facing anxiety does more for your life than treating it, in my opinion. "What matters most in life is how well you walk through the fire"

Last edited:
Yeah, there is no catch-all fix. Some people have issues that can't be fixed, only treated. Benzos have their place as a treatment, not a cure obviously. But for a small subset of the population that doesn't respond well at all to therapy or SSRIs/SNRIs/TCAs/Anti-histamines, bzds are the only option left. It sucks but that's life.

I hope to God that next week my doctor will ring me up with a new cure for my spastic colon. I'd love to get off daily alprazolam use. But very little research seems to center on curing GI disorders, all I see are new SSRIs/ADs every year that the doctors think will be 'the next best treatment' but ummm... they're still just rehashing SSRIs which fundamentally don't work for folks like me and mal.

I'll manage your money for you if you'd like.

Pinky swear.

very true

I do wholeheartedly agree with "the best treatment for anxiety is to face it" and not with benzos, but both points are valid.

The thing about benzos compared to most other medications and ailments is that in the long run, if you stop taking them, your anxiety issue is typically worse off than when you started. You never faced your anxiety, benzos muted it, then when you stop the anxiety is worse due to avoidance plus gaba downregulation.

If I had the opportunity to be on benzos again I would absolutely do it, don't get me wrong.

What is "facing it" , though? Do people who use other types of medication for their anxiety need to face "it" as well or just those that use benzodiazepines?

I'm genuinely interested to know.

My theory is that all this facing "it" nonsense is just a product of the stigma that surrounds controlled drugs. Some people use them recreationally, therefore they're "optional". They're just a shortcut...an easy way out...a way to avoid facing "it".

There is no "it". The simple facts are that I have physical and mental symptoms , very debilitating ones, that get better when I take a certain type of medication. For some reason, people get very triggered by this fact. Well, don't worry, I still suffer quite a bit. But I'm able to make it from one day to the next.

There's lots of talk these days about bodily autonomy, freedom of choice, destigmatizing just about everything. If people are allowed to legally smoke weed, drink alcohol, gamble, have casual sex, etc, and those things are seen as mundane activities that "normal" people do (In others words they don't necessarily have any "it" to face, they aren't running or hiding from anything)...I think I should have that same freedom.

What is "facing it" , though?
I have horrid general anxiety about nearly everything. Over the years I developed a very strong avoidance reflex to anything that causes anxiety, and of course a few drug habits. Avoidance has only made my life worse and the anxiety even worse.

Facing it is basically just forcing yourself not to avoid the anxiety. Accept it. Be uncomfortable. Get out of your comfort zone.

Over time this significantly reduces the anxiety itself and helps us grow.

I'm not saying "tsk tsk don't use drugs, man up and face it". I'm just saying that ultimately, for a lot of situations and some people, it's one way of dealing with it and in the long term can actually be more effective than medication.

I just don't see the point of using a drug that can ONLY make the problem worse in the long run. Treatments are the perfect excuse to avoid addressing the issues head on because they offer immediate relief in the short term, while the issue compounds under the surface.

It's like if someone suffers from chronic headaches, so they keep on bombarding themselves with painkillers every day to mask the pain. Only to find out later that the cause of their headache was a tumour. If they hadn't been masking the pain the whole time, perhaps they would have discovered it sooner before it got a chance to grow.

When our minds and bodies act up and cause us problems, it's a warning that something has to be resolved. It's not warning us to hide the symptoms, it wants us to address the damn problem that is causing them.

I've been walking around Earth long enough to have had several benzo prescriptions over the course of my life. A few were from methadone programs, others just doctors giving them to me attempting to come off opiates at times.

Diazepam Never had it scripted. But seemed to be everywhere when I was growing up, was not a big user except for opiate withdrawal.
Flurazepam (as Dalmane) also seemed all over and prescribed to everyone when I was growing up, seemed more hypnotic but also mellow like diazepam, long.
Prazepam (as Centrax) I had coming off my first methadone program. Seemed to hit quick but kind of mellow. Short lasting, long half life didn't live up to duration.
Quazepam (as Doral) I had coming off my second methadone program. Fairly potent and long lasting
Alprazolam (as Xanax) - never had it scripted but in the 90's it seemed genuine was being prescribed so much people had bottles full for sale
Flunitrazepam (as Rohypnol) - had someone come from Europe with a bottle. Gave me 4 of them. By the last one 1/4th of a pill was being used as it was just too strong
Triazolam (As Halcion) I had a doc give me 50 of these twice coming off methadone. Potent, hits very quick. Unmistakable effects (no delusions of sobriety with this one) but it wore off after like 4 hours.
Etizolam - reminds me of alprazolam, not sure i could tell the difference other than alprazolam may last longer
Fluclotizolam - I know why some benzos make it to the market and others don't. This is like a short acting hammer to the head. Feels more sinister than etizolam. But yes short. Seems the same time length as etizolam for me, maybe even shorter.

I think that is it, if i remember any more I will edit. Again this class of drugs I never took much at all. In fact I probably went years without so much as a 5 mgs valium entering my bloodstream. But they have popped up. But when all is said and done they all seem to effect me the same, I can't tell the difference too much like someone else could. But something like triazolam and diazepam I could tell the difference. But some of the others I could not. Never tried the stronger ones that have shown up on the RC market and probably won't.

Last edited: