• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Benzodiazepine effects comparison

Kaoririp

Greenlighter
Hi all, I'd like to open a discussion about benzos and the effects that you guys tend to notice from them.

People often say that they're "downers" or " sedatives" which, in my experience, has not always proved to be the case.

I've noticed Valium, when taken in a therapeautic or recreational dose, tends to provide a sedating relaxing effect.

However, Klonopin, taken in a therapeutic or recreational dose tends to cause happiness and energy, not too dissimilar from an amph.

Meanwhile, shorter acting benzos such as Ativan doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Zopiclone, which isn't a benzo, but works in a similar way, seems to be, in my experience, the most sedating and relaxing of all of them

Would anyone else like to weigh in?

In other times lorazepam would make me tired but nowadays it turned into a pure disinhibition and mind clouding agent. Don't know exactly why but I have acquired a high tolerance level to dissociatives/NMDA antagonists which seems to affect many unrelated drugs. Alprazolam I had only once but it was very clear, without the cloudiness of lorazepam.

Zolpidem was like a more intoxicating but equally non-sleepy variant of pagoclone. Zopiclone on the other hand is strongly sleep inducing, only in combination with alcohol it led to visuals before blackout.
Etifoxine and some others I forgot about.

But the GABA-A receptor complex has a few different binding sites, depending on the profile they should be purely sleep inducing (z-drugs) or purely disinhibiting if you are equipped with 0815 genetics at least.

Have not tried zopiclone...aaaa tried once.super for sleep.(only)with metal taste.awful.Ativan-never tried also,but tried something similar-Desmethyllorazepam 1mg tablet and is ok.Clonopines-too strong.valium is gold standart for me.Librium,bromazepam are also good

Last edited:
Clonazepam ( K-pins) give me the best long lasting anxiety relief.
Not as strong as Xanax, but rather effective on anxiety.
Alprazolam is very relaxing, hits quick, melts anxiety away, but doesn't last long; so you generally have to redose at least once in a day.
Valium ( for me) is really good for relaxation. Great body buzz IMO but doesn't last long for me at all despite staying in sytem longer/have long half-life. I generally have to take like 30 mg+ to get therapeutic effect that lasts.
Lorazepam is weak IMO and gives me a bit of a 'trippy' feeling ( at @3 mg and above anyways) . Feels less natural than most benzos I have taken. Would only take Ativan when I had to.
Effects on anxiety last little longer than alprazolam, tho.

I've done others, but those are the main ones they prescribe.
I say done because I am done with all benzos thank Jesus.

Clonazepam ( K-pins) give me the best long lasting anxiety relief.
Not as strong as Xanax, but rather effective on anxiety.
Alprazolam is very relaxing, hits quick, melts anxiety away, but doesn't last long; so you generally have to redose at least once in a day.
Valium ( for me) is really good for relaxation. Great body buzz IMO but doesn't last long for me at all despite staying in sytem longer/have long half-life. I generally have to take like 30 mg+ to get therapeutic effect that lasts.
Lorazepam is weak IMO and gives me a bit of a 'trippy' feeling ( at @3 mg and above anyways) . Feels less natural than most benzos I have taken. Would only take Ativan when I had to.
Effects on anxiety last little longer than alprazolam, tho.

I've done others, but those are the main ones they prescribe.
I say done because I am done with all benzos thank Jesus.
Yes this is almost my exact same experience. Except i still rely on kpins and zopiclone daily to function. If you're comfortable telling me a bit more in DMs I'd love to talk further

Hi all, I'd like to open a discussion about benzos and the effects that you guys tend to notice from them.

People often say that they're "downers" or " sedatives" which, in my experience, has not always proved to be the case.

I've noticed Valium, when taken in a therapeautic or recreational dose, tends to provide a sedating relaxing effect.

However, Klonopin, taken in a therapeutic or recreational dose tends to cause happiness and energy, not too dissimilar from an amph.

Meanwhile, shorter acting benzos such as Ativan doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Zopiclone, which isn't a benzo, but works in a similar way, seems to be, in my experience, the most sedating and relaxing of all of them

Would anyone else like to weigh in?
In the hospital during an epileptic insult they gave me copious amounts of Lorazepam. And at a high dose it a nice cosy warm benzo. Like Temazepam and Diazepam in a way.

I also received diazepam and Midazolam, but not any where near the portion of Lorazepam.

Midazolam, was a bit of a disappointment. Could be cause the nose spray stung like a bee. Diazepam is nice but way to long lasting.

My favorite allrounder was Etizolam. Like Alpazolam all purpose benzo, only Alprazolam feels cold and empty. Even a bit depressing.

Clobazam and Pyrazolam deserve their own category. Benzo's that will chill you but without side effect's like drowsiness. or amnesia.

Clonazolam, well it was the only benzo I took of my list not because it was that good. but because it was that addicting.

Overall Temazepam was the one I would rank the most re creative. Don't want it prescribed to though me even if the dr. would beg me. I know myself to well.

Oh yeah I forgot the RCs. Etizolam was great, I even found it before the RC guys in Indian online pharmacies, while unknown it was OTC there.

Pyrazolam was very weak imo, forgot the dosages, possibly the pilla were weak as well.

Two other benzos I forgot the names, came as powder mixed with mannitol and were so strong that a tiny line would knock me out for 18+h.

Clonazolam I got recently to shut down recurring nightmares but it did nothing special. Were 2mg if Im right. Lorazepam is stronger mg by mg and indeed warm.

Yes this is almost my exact same experience. Except i still rely on kpins and zopiclone daily to function. If you're comfortable telling me a bit more in DMs I'd love to talk further
I'm on open book, shoot me a message. It's been a few years since I used BL's message system, but I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

Keep in mind that the source of each benzo you obtain (if not via prescription), may not be what it's disguised to be.

The Klonopin the OP used, may not have been Klonopin at all, depending on the source. It certainly shouldn't feel anything like Amphetamine. Like Diazepam and other longer half life benzo's however, it may appear comparatively weaker to short acting benzo's at the same dosage equivalency. This is because Benzo's with longer half lives generally require time to build up in the blood stream for the full effects to occur. So a one off dose of Klonopin or Diazepam may not seem to do much at all.

This is true, but it's also important to note that a not statistically insignificant number of people get paradoxical reactions benzos, it's not super uncommon to become stimulated and even manic from certain benzos, klonopin and xanax most notably among them. Also, the responses so far in this thread clearly show that everyone is different when it comes to benzos. Some people find ativan to be really nice and even strong, apparently... most people find it super weak and ineffective for anything but anxiety. Some people find temazepam to be the most euphoric benzo, other say it sucks and barely does anything. Some people love diazepam, others say it's one of the least enjoyable benzos. Some people love etizolam and consider it one of the best, others hate it and consider it worthless. There are a huge range of reactions to every benzo.

When taken in moderation, Klonopin/Xanax do what they are supposed to do, but when taking in excessive doses they seem to make me stimulated and manic.

This is true, but it's also important to note that a not statistically insignificant number of people get paradoxical reactions benzos, it's not super uncommon to become stimulated and even manic from certain benzos, klonopin and xanax most notably among them. Also, the responses so far in this thread clearly show that everyone is different when it comes to benzos. Some people find ativan to be really nice and even strong, apparently... most people find it super weak and ineffective for anything but anxiety. Some people find temazepam to be the most euphoric benzo, other say it sucks and barely does anything. Some people love diazepam, others say it's one of the least enjoyable benzos. Some people love etizolam and consider it one of the best, others hate it and consider it worthless. There are a huge range of reactions to every benzo.
This is a perfectly valid point. If the Benzo is obtained via prescription or has been tested and confirmed beyond any shadow of a doubt to be the benzo obtained via other sources, then people can of course give their accurate assessments on how each individual benzo effects them.

Unfortunately as is so often the case these days, Benzo's purchased from less than reliable sources can often be made to look almost completely identical to the genuine product. Packaging and all.

I recall a situation a while back (and not sure if it's still the case now) of a specific brand of Diazepam tablets on the market turning out to be Etizolam instead. The tablets and packaging looked identical to the real thing. But after samples were sent off for thorough testing, they were consistently being identified as Etizolam. Not exactly the scandal of the century, although poor mixing methods will have resulted in inconsistent dosing between tablets which could have been potentially very dangerous.

I have found at times, that the anxiety relief I find in benzos can help me organize my brain in a way that allows me to be more motivated and active, while not really being "stimulating" in the same sense as amphetamines.

I feel like that is a somewhat common reaction for people with bad anxiety.

Personally I've found pretty much all benzo's to be way more similar than they are different. They all pretty much feel the same to me, aside from maybe duration of effects.

^yeah im the kinda guy who takes a benzo then cleans his house inside and out. Unless I take a particularly sedating dose/bzd.

I’d rank the ones I’ve tried so far, from best to worst:
-Diazepam
-Alprazolam
-Etizolam
-Norflurazepam
-Bromazolam
-Clonazepam
-Diclazepam
-3-HO-Phenazepam

The last three kinda blew for me. All well sourced, either known to be scripts, scripted to me, or bought from good sources. Diazepam has the most classic downer effect imo and that’s why it’s my fave. I get scripted alprazolam but I dislike how wakeful it is, it’s useless in aiding my sleep.

Abusing benzos isn’t a great idea though. I notice that the kindling effect is worse and worse each time I withdrawal from one. If you can avoid using them at all, it’s best.

Last edited:
Abusing benzos isn’t a great idea though. I notice that the kindling effect is worse and worse each time I withdrawal from one. If you can avoid using them at all, it’s best.
Yep, the kindling effect is something that is often overlooked and is also associated with repeated alcohol withdrawals. Even after a single large benzo dose, it's still worth doing a rapid taper. So if you take 10mgs of Diazepam for example. It's worth taking 5mgs the next day, then 2mgs the next again day which can really soften the blow. At least, that's been my experience.

so they all give me energy as long as im doing something - it's when i sit down that i could go down for the count - valium and xanax are the two i have by far the most experience with so i'll just talk about them

valium is the best if you ask me - ive always liked 10 to 20mgs - i'd be out at the grocery store at 1am some nights - always cooking something up or doing something with food because i love eating on them

i like the half life from valium too - it's longer for me - i'll feel it for a couple days - it does give me a reset if im ever feeling overwhelmed and the half-life helps me to coast back in for a smoother landing

i like xanax but it makes me a little more sloppier and forgetful and i feel like it's a quicker dropoff after it wears off which makes for a quicker return back to reality - a rougher landing - but i have used it for a panic attack and it works like a charm - stops it dead in its tracks - so it really is great for that

ive never been addicted to them and i think it's fair to say that i abused them if you want but i was only somewhere between a 1 and 3 times a week user - so i never took them everyday

the only thing that sucks is that i barely remember what happened those 3 years that i was eating them fairly frequently

and i told a few people off while i was on them and i didn't even reaize i was doing it - that's kinda not cool either

but other than that, i think benzos are great for me, i think they're fun and i feel like i should have the right to easy access of valium for therapeutic use in the way i used them

^In a perfect world everyone would have access to diazepam, there’s a reason it was widely prescribed up till a few years ago. It really makes stress just melt away. The long half life helps too. I’d switch to it but my doctors think it best I stay on Alpraz since it is less sedating.

I am old fashioned as to benzo.Could get a script for any available in pharmacy,but stick to valium.Suits me well,calm me down,not fun....just relax my nerves and muscles....xanax hit hard,but is very short lived.Bromazepam(Lexotan) is good.not very strong.Most of the grannies here are on it.But on first hand-they made my low opi reserve more effective.The result is double addiction,which sucks a lot

^In a perfect world everyone would have access to diazepam, there’s a reason it was widely prescribed up till a few years ago. It really makes stress just melt away. The long half life helps too. I’d switch to it but my doctors think it best I stay on Alpraz since it is less sedating.
It was best seller in late 70,early 80.Rosche got skyrocketing their profits,after the first created benzo-chlordiazepoxide(librium),also made by them.Hard to overdose,but dangerous with different combos.I think,that benzos would gain a lot of popularity in coming years......just the life got soo stresfull,that without a benzos people will go totally insane.

In a perfect world, nobody would get hooked or dependent on them. That's why they're not being sold on shop shelves. Although that does of course raise the question of Alcohol availability. Although i'd argue that Alcohol is somewhat harder for most people to become physically dependant on as it takes considerably more time. Where as with Benzo's, it can occur in as little as a couple of weeks. It's infinitely easier to take 10mgs of Valium than it is to chug several pints of lager.

Benzo's are a short term "fix" for anxiety and stress, but are really just putting these issues on hold for a future date, where the issues are then multiplied to sometimes brutal levels. The real antidote for stress and anxiety is addressing life circumstances that lead to these issues in the first place.