• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

being happy and content

Source?

Source?

Source? (And another source for "in evolutionary terms", please?)

While in our time it is impossible to separate science from philosophy, it is also very important not to conflate philosophical musings with empirically-based scientific theorems.

Here is a quote from an article on the evolutionary limbic system:

"The limbic system is embryologically older than other parts of the brain. It developed to manage 'fight' or 'flight' chemicals and is an evolutionary necessity for reptiles as well as humans.

Recent studies of the limbic system of tetrapods have challenged some long-held tenets of forebrain evolution. The common ancestors of reptiles and mammals had a well-developed limbic system in which the basic subdivisions and connections of the amygdalar nuclei were established. "
The limbic system of tetrapods: a comparative analysis of cortical and amygdalar populations |journal=Brain Behav. Evol. |volume=46 |issue=4–5 |pages=224–34 |year=1995 |pmid=8564465 |doi=10.1159/000113276]

This shows that the limbic system has long been with animals as a way of motivating or rewarding them.

Here is an article on dopamine as motivation and reward:
Neuronal Activity Related to Reward Value and Motivation in Primate Frontal Cortex
Matthew R. Roesch and Carl R. Olson (9 April 2004)
Science 304 (5668), 307. [DOI: 10.1126/science.1093223]

I have to get ready for school, so I am not going to look for a source about too little or too much dopamine being counter-productive, but I will look later. It is one of those common sense things though, how productive for a species would a heroin or coke addict be.

Once again, you guys are taking "happy" to mean a constant state of joy. That is NOT how I am meaning the word "happy". I am happy on a soul level, and I get upset all the time. Being upset is NOT the opposite of being happy. It's perfectly normal and healthy to experience the full range of emotions at different times. But I don't consider happiness to be an emotion. Yes it can be, but it's also a state of being.

Just an example, the last time I lost someone close to me, I lay in bed crying my eyes out. It hurt so much. BUT, I was still happy. I was still happy, because having love in my heart is beautiful. Life, love, death, it's all beautiful. So while I was sad, I was still happy because my appreciation for life never stops.

Does this make sense to anyone but me? lol
I feel like no one (or very few) see the world like I do.

I understand what you are saying, although I would challenge the notion that you were still happy while crying. That violates the very definition of the word. I have noticed that you are pretty loose with semantics, and that makes it kind of hard to pin down exactly what you are trying to say. I get your point though.

One more quick note. In my biochem class last semester we studied vasopressin and oxytocin in prairie and montane voles (with comparable neurotransmitters/hormones in humans. These account for monogamy and feelings of satisfaction from love. So even feeling love for someone is managed by dopamine to an extent. If the animals had oxytocin receptors (vasopressin in males) removed from the nucleus accumbens, the oxytocin no longer initiated a release of dopamine and the animal no longer created a long term bond with his sex partner.

I mean, really, the evidence is everywhere about this particular issue.

Thank you for giving sources.

However, I have to say that none of the two articles you cite translates even remotely into philosophical opinions that you present as empirically-proven fact.

I understand what you are saying, although I would challenge the notion that you were still happy while crying. That violates the very definition of the word. I have noticed that you are pretty loose with semantics, and that makes it kind of hard to pin down exactly what you are trying to say. I get your point though.

True. I live in my own universe, really. I seem to see things in this very broad way and am very loose with semantics as you said because from this "big mind" viewpoint I tend to live in, semantics are very malleable.

If, for the sake of this thread, we wanted to go ahead and define "happy" as the in-the-moment emotion of JOY, then what would be the word you guys would use for what I'm talking about?

What I'm trying to describe is that there is always this feeling within, sometimes it's joyous and sometimes it's bittersweet, but it always feels like love. Like being in love, except not with a person, but with the entire universe, and even with myself, because I know "I" wouldn't be able to see this beautiful universe this particular way if there wasn't this girl, Andi, living this beautiful life. So I love her and I love all things.

I'm not sure what the word for that would be, I define that feeling as happiness, but it's clearly not that right word. It's like I feel my life's purpose, connection to all things all the time, and even when something bad happens or Im in terrible pain, I know in my heart that I'm still a part of something beautiful and that never leaves me.

One more quick note. In my biochem class last semester we studied vasopressin and oxytocin in prairie and montane voles (with comparable neurotransmitters/hormones in humans. These account for monogamy and feelings of satisfaction from love. So even feeling love for someone is managed by dopamine to an extent. If the animals had oxytocin receptors (vasopressin in males) removed from the nucleus accumbens, the oxytocin no longer initiated a release of dopamine and the animal no longer created a long term bond with his sex partner.

I mean, really, the evidence is everywhere about this particular issue.

What is that evidence of?
Of course everything we experience happens in our brain. That's what our bodies do. Doesn't make it any less real or meaningful to me!

Thank you for giving sources.

However, I have to say that none of the two articles you cite translates even remotely into philosophical opinions that you present as empirically-proven fact.

The one article makes it very clear that dopamine is used as a reward signal.

I admit the other article wasn't the best example, but I am not an evolutionary biologist, so I rarely read any articles related to it. I guess it is just a common observation, most people aren't happy all the time, and we evolved to be what we are now. Plus, the scenario with the cavemen is still valid.

Seriously. Actually screw love. Just having HEALTH is amazing enough.
Every day I wake up and am not ill is a day I kiss the ground and thank God.
<3

True. I live in my own universe, really. I seem to see things in this very broad way and am very loose with semantics as you said because from this "big mind" viewpoint I tend to live in, semantics are very malleable.

If, for the sake of this thread, we wanted to go ahead and define "happy" as the in-the-moment emotion of JOY, then what would be the word you guys would use for what I'm talking about?

What I'm trying to describe is that there is always this feeling within, sometimes it's joyous and sometimes it's bittersweet, but it always feels like love. Like being in love, except not with a person, but with the entire universe, and even with myself, because I know "I" wouldn't be able to see this beautiful universe this particular way if there wasn't this girl, Andi, living this beautiful life. So I love her and I love all things.

I'm not sure what the word for that would be, I define that feeling as happiness, but it's clearly not that right word. It's like I feel my life's purpose, connection to all things all the time, and even when something bad happens or Im in terrible pain, I know in my heart that I'm still a part of something beautiful and that never leaves me.

What is that evidence of?
Of course everything we experience happens in our brain. That's what our bodies do. Doesn't make it any less real or meaningful to me!

Happiness is not an emotion as you said, it is a state of fulfillment, a state of being.
Feeling two oposing feelings though is not something that occurs normally, if they occur both at the same time, but something that need to be healed.
However, I think you are using the wrong expression to describe what you seem to have difficulty with, being feeling contentment within your feeling of sadness, not distressed as such, for you have already accepted death as being a part of life.

I don't know the circumstances of which the person died, but if it was sudden or traumatic or whatever the circumstances, one feels different. It is the norm to feeling angry if the reasons the person died are out of ordinary, and before you had the chance to enjoy their life etc.

Just imagine a mother losing a child, I don't think instant content would be there. The depth of the bond and connection makes a lot of difference, and understandably that denial exists at first.

There is a lot of pain and anguish and one would be repressing or denying it if they do not feel it, and all that is part of grief, the first state, but anger is normal and then comes the grief and slowly acceptance as you shed all the feeling and breaking the emotional bond with time passing.

And... I think that perhaps you are also trying to say, you are living in the moment, in content and in peace and the state is that similar to bliss and love... thereby in connection with all around you and your world within, but also, not run by your instincts I would imagine! Something similar to a state of pure consciousness?

Last edited:
If you have health and love, and you still aren't happy, it's your own fucking fault.

Tell that to someone who is clinically depressed from a serious chemical deficiency. That is a very 18th century view you have going there.

why does being happy, content and not freaked the fuck out over everything make so many people upset and/or mad?

really, why do people seem to seek out sorrow depression anxiety and fail and then get mad when I dont go along with it and just stay happy and cool.

Once you are content, there is no purpose in life. It becomes static. I personally would never want to be trapped in a bubble of specific emotions; especially ones that are prone to cause laziness. Unhappiness is motivation to continue to escalate life into something greater.

Not one great change in the world has ever come from someone who was okay with everything as it was.

On a personal level, I would really not enjoy only feeling positive emotions. The negative is what gives the positive so much glimmer. The friction of the world is beautiful. We were born with wild and untame emotions, so why not (instead of rejecting some) harnessing them all into something productive?

i totally disagree

people 'are' as happy as they make their minds up to be...it's a conversation, this misery. Some people just can't find good in anything. Pain 'is' a reality-but it needn't be pursued and embraced. Whatever attention you can glean from being unhappy is what perpetuates your misery. I find, most people like to share in other people's happiness-not their misery. Reality is very subjective-and bandied about a bit too much. It's a very personal issue-reality.
I totally disagree.

I totally disagree.

====

Pain is a reality.

It is easy for happy-go-lucky people to imagine that those less fortunate than they are are being that way just because they "decide" to be it.

This is forgetfulness.

By assuming that miserable people are that way because they "want" to, you are simply forgetting the times when you once felt pain.

The fact is that life has more suffering than it has happiness. If you think otherwise, then quite frankly I can only call you naiive.

This doesn't mean that we should be miserable all the time. It means that we should cherish the moments of no-pain, and never forget where we once were, so that we can empathise with those less fortunate (and be ready for the next time we feel pain - which is inevitable).

Tell that to someone who is clinically depressed from a serious chemical deficiency. That is a very 18th century view you have going there.

That would qualify as a lack of health.

Thanks for the kind words, Happy Person!

Happy Friday!

Last edited:

*raises hand*

I was diagnosed clinically depressed w/anxiety disorder at age 12 and told I would need to be on medication my whole life. I was drugged up through my entire teenage years and was a cutter, as well as attempting suicide a handful of times.

Then I realized happiness was a choice. And changed my entire life.
I haven't been on any medication for 8 years now. All because I changed the way I thought.

Once you are content, there is no purpose in life. It becomes static. I personally would never want to be trapped in a bubble of specific emotions; especially ones that are prone to cause laziness. Unhappiness is motivation to continue to escalate life into something greater.

Not one great change in the world has ever come from someone who was okay with everything as it was.

HAPPINESS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE OKAY WITH EVERYTHING AS IT IS! :D
I am a very happy person and I am also hardcore motivated for my life, I have many dreams and goals and I certainly am not stuck in any certain emotion all the time. I experience the full range of emotions and enjoy doing so.

You don't have to be miserable in a situation to want to change the world, that is drastically inaccurate. I see the world as a beautiful place and I want to leave it as an EVEN MORE beautiful place after I'm gone.

HAPPINESS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE OKAY WITH EVERYTHING AS IT IS! :D
I am a very happy person and I am also hardcore motivated for my life, I have many dreams and goals and I certainly am not stuck in any certain emotion all the time. I experience the full range of emotions and enjoy doing so.

You don't have to be miserable in a situation to want to change the world, that is drastically inaccurate. I see the world as a beautiful place and I want to leave it as an EVEN MORE beautiful place after I'm gone.

I was speaking more along the lines of being happy all of the time. I believe in taking emotions as they come, thats about all I was getting at. Im a pretty happy person myself.

I do however, think that happiness and contentment are catalysts for laziness. The fact that you are motivated to make a change means that you are not fully happy and content with the way that your life is, hence the desire to push forward.I think of unhappiness not as a burden, but a defense mechanism so that humans don't just eat, sleep, and poop. Im not saying that I don't like to be happy (because I do, and I am often), but I appreciate all emotions for what they are.

& as for changing the world, discontent has to occur. If you find the world beautiful and want to leave it beautiful, that isn't change. However, if you want to say, make it more beautiful (by something like recycling for example), that would be a glimmer of discontentment.It's saying that the world isn't as great as it can be. It's full potential has not been unleashed yet. It may not be a feeling of deep rage or anger, but it is discontentment.

Yeah I know, sorry, I keep butting heads with people over my definition of happiness.

I do however, think that happiness and contentment are catalysts for laziness. The fact that you are motivated to make a change means that you are not fully happy and content with the way that your life is, hence the desire to push forward.I think of unhappiness not as a burden, but a defense mechanism so that humans don't just eat, sleep, and poop. Im not saying that I don't like to be happy (because I do, and I am often), but I appreciate all emotions for what they are.

& as for changing the world, discontent has to occur. If you find the world beautiful and want to leave it beautiful, that isn't change. However, if you want to say, make it more beautiful (by something like recycling for example), that would be a glimmer of discontentment.It's saying that the world isn't as great as it can be. It's full potential has not been unleashed yet. It may not be a feeling of deep rage or anger, but it is discontentment.

I understand what you mean, totally, and while I don't exactly see things that way (Im way less black and white) I find it very difficult to explain what I do mean...

Lack of love and healthy attention, and how they have dealed with this in their formative years-as a compensation to this lack-is one of the strong reasons why they have ended in depression to start with. ..and as someone else said, depression is lack of health.
People who grew with enough love in their life and the emotional essentials, grew a healthier structure and hence the chemicals in their bodies depend on that too. Not always, but you seem to see people as chemical manufacturing factories, emotions as the basis does not equate in your biochemical vocabulary, or how you view people's misery formation. What pathways are blocked depends on that basis alot of the time. Repression and compensation release different kind of chemicals in the system. Not always the case and heredity plays role and genetics but not always.