Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Banksy:

some real skillz

banksy_maid_470x340.jpg

but yeah he is by no means the best, there is oodles of excellent street art

rize_selfportrait.jpg

Its annoying walking around london because his name is everywhere.

Hes annoying the same way dubstep has got.

yeah. he's alright. not my favourite, but i've been lucky enough to live in some places with v good grafitti everywhere.

If he is a right twat then what does that make Tracey Emin?

Tracey Emin's a normal working class girl who's done well for herself, she appears like a twat because she's an artist and a massively successful artist too. One of the greatest modern artists we've had.
She's a bit strange, aren't all artists, but seems alright to me.
I wouldn't call her or Banksy twats.

Banksy may not have invented stencilling, honestly who cares really who invented the technique, his art speaks to this generation and adds humour to generally serious messages.
That he is spoken about in high art circles and his work is traded for vast sums, has added a level of respectability to street art, and a level of interest that otherwise wouldn't have existed.

His stuff is pretty decent, and tbh if it wasn't for him the whole graff thing wouldn't have been brought to my attention. Now that it has though, in comparison to other artists, his work isn't particularly special. But he's inspired a lot of people, no question about it, so he deserves a lot of respect imo.

No one comes close to Aryz though.

I like some of his stuff etc but I dont agree with what hes become, not his own fault its just the way the media works. Like he does a new piece on a wall somewhere and next day the council have put a protective sheet over the wall and people start auctioning the pieces of wall for stupid amounts of money, youd think he was god whatever he touches turns to gold.

I think putting him/her/them on a pedestal is foolish because there are many street artists out there doing stuff which is on par if not better than his/her/their work artistically. But then his/her/their work isn't purely graded on an artistic merit. There's the message he/she/they apply to it also. But, yet again, there are others out there schooling that side of things too.

People like Mr. Matthew Collings (blokey who did The Times article) who like to be a cunt about whether his work is "art or not" are utterly pathetic also though.
Some of the stuff he says in the article makes sense, but then a great deal is just a side effect of his jaded bitterness.
Art critics are arseholes by trade it seems, probably because they've nothing important to contribute to art in the first place and then become bitter because of that.

I don't think Banksy's a genius.
I don't think Banksy's got no purpose what so ever.
I don't think whether it's art or not has any purpose.
I don't think much really do I? =D

Does it please you aesthetically? Then that's all that really matters :)

I think putting him/her/them on a pedestal is foolish because there are many street artists out there doing stuff which is on par if not better than his/her/their work artistically.

I agree, but at the same time I think that you need popularizers in subcultures to inject new life and keep it alive for the future generations. I bet there are a lot of street artists out there making a bit more money from their exhibition work thanks to Banksy as well, which can't be bad for them.

I will just answer the original question

there is a talented artist there but also a right twat

so, A and B for sure :)

I don't think he's against capitalism, just overly-powerful business. He's also been quite critical of the left in his work.

Plus we don't know how much of that money he gets, what he does with it, etc.
I think it's a right auld capitalist behind the bricks.... Hence the name Banksy. Me thinks he's embedded within establishment. It's just the way the world goes, publicity, promotion, media attention and all that requires funds and connections in the right places.

In brum they hailed his Christmas thing as a wonderful thing for highlighting homelessness. Raising awareness of. Raising awareness of. Raising awareness of. It's a pattern that you see on news, raising awareness of. Bullying, mental health, coronavirus. Raising awareness of generally means paying some pr, graphic designers, getting a few poster boys and girls and quotes, paying a couple of experts and raising awareness of what we all know exists. It's another money siphon... So company or organisation, here's some money to help tackle this issue.... Ah thanks, thsts fantastic, we can create some slick materials, pay our friends to do so stick it all in our brochures and whoopy do we ding need do anything about said issue coz we have raised awareness of it.

I heard a rumour banksy designed the nhs logo , and the London 2012 one . But as outdoor artist he can’t work from home . He has a new job , triple shifts , he paints the distancing lines in the high streets , for the council . He also paints the graffiti . Then comes back in a council van to clean I t off