• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Banksy:

I like Banksy's work.

On this subject, my father irritates me - he is a kind of Banksy snob. He will indiscriminately like anything by Banksy but of any other artist of the same sort he will instantly dismiss it as vandalism.

good sense of humour and graphically sound IMO
no visionary/critic

As a "Visionary" the guy is redundant.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3260064.ece that article pretty much sums up "Banksy"

If we are talking social critic....Gimme David Icke anyday.

I think this kind of criticism is ironic considering that the news media CREATED the Banksy craze. If it wasn't for the newspapers constantly reporting on every piece that he put up, he'd still be broke, like any other artist.

I guess that in the art world, you have to be dead for 20 years in order for anyone to appreciate what you did

I think this kind of criticism is ironic considering that the news media CREATED the Banksy craze. If it wasn't for the newspapers constantly reporting on every piece that he put up, he'd still be broke, like any other artist.

I guess that in the art world, you have to be dead for 20 years in order for anyone to appreciate what you did

Its not as if he is totally innocent. the guy is smart enough to know how to create a buzz, at the end of the day the guy is an out and out capitalist IMO.

http://www.filmandfestivals.com/ind...s-own-documentary&catid=2:festivals&Itemid=54

You either like it or you don't .

I like the drawings and the imagination.

Don't know about being a capitalist or not :\

a capitalist artist? as opposed to what? a communist artist?

42-17276056-4751.jpg

So when he is selling his stuff for £100k , is that money going to any of the "causes" he seems to champion so much?

If we had some conclusive proof that some of this was going to homeless charities in Bristol, I would be a lot less jaded.

I am betting he lives in an apartment block somewhere in Maida Vale tho.

Aye he should keep it real & live in a cardboard box :\

Not to that extreme, but artistic integrity is important.

Sean Penn used to live in his trailer( albeit parked on a bunch of land he owned in Malibu) but you get the point , it was a fuckin trailor.

Banksy talks a great game, but at the end of the day i bet he goes back to his posh home and stuffs his face with cottage cheese and Prosecco ( Caviar and Krug would probably be too much)

banksy created a lot of his own buzz, who do you think leaked stories and shiz to the press etc? the man has PR leaking from every pore

well I guess he is kind of a whore, and I'm sure he's living large, but only rich folks buy art anyways, so it's not like he's going in mine or your pockets

he really does need to do a piece in North Korea. I'd be swinging off his nutsack if he could pull that off that caper

Sorry but what are you talking about? The guy doesn't even do interviews. It was the media who created the buzz.

And why are you so skeptical about him giving money to charity?

I dont buy this argument about the media creating him, he had plenty to do with it .....

Jeffrey Deitch, an art dealer with close ties to legendary graffiti artists Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat, asks, "When you can buy a superb Picasso drawing for $500,000 and a work dashed off by Banksy for the same price, does that make sense to you?" Still, Deitch, who says he likes a lot of Banksy's work, adds, "I don't think it will have any effect on his output. He's established the brand."

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1825271,00.html

Not to that extreme, but artistic integrity is important.

Sean Penn used to live in his trailer( albeit parked on a bunch of land he owned in Malibu) but you get the point , it was a fuckin trailor.

Banksy talks a great game, but at the end of the day i bet he goes back to his posh home and stuffs his face with cottage cheese and Prosecco ( Caviar and Krug would probably be too much)

I don't get the point with Sean Penn. He bought a piece of land (probably for a shit load of money) then lived in a shite trailer on it? Why does that give him any more integrity than someone who just bought a house? Seems a bit deliberate & wanky to me. "Look at me, I've sooooooo not left my roots, I'm staying in a trailer" Try hard cunt, away n buy a fucking house like a normal person.

he bloody good with stencils so I think he's cool, some of them I don't like:

Banksy_disney_and_mcdonalds.jpg

but some are amazing:

banksy-fallen-angel-365-p.jpg

anyone seen that film that he's showing?

He's good, but by no means was he the first to do what he's doing.

Check out the book The Complete Maus for some pretty awesome stuff.

I don't get the point with Sean Penn. He bought a piece of land (probably for a shit load of money) then lived in a shite trailer on it? Why does that give him any more integrity than someone who just bought a house? Seems a bit deliberate & wanky to me. "Look at me, I've sooooooo not left my roots, I'm staying in a trailer" Try hard cunt, away n buy a fucking house like a normal person.

Just find it strange that the guy is vocal as fuck when doing his "Tony Hart" spiel sbout social inequality, yet when one of his drawings sell for £100k, its next to impossible to know where that money has been donated to.

I think we all know why.