Banksy:

The RZA

Bluelighter
Is he

A) An uber talented "guerilla" artist with with a scything socio-politcal wit

or

B) A right twat.

Banksy is a genius!!!

Before I saw his 'Wall and Piece' book, I never thought it was possible that a visual artist could blow my mind as much as musicians do (music has always blown my mind way more than any visual art).

But Banksy changed all that. Not only is his work visually stunning, but it's also funny, and he always gets his point across in a very clever, witty way. I happen to agree with most of his political views too.

And you have to admit that many of his pieces of art require serious balls to make (for example, going in to The Louvre and putting up his own painting :) ).

So yeah, I'm gonna vote A.

Yeah his work is great, however, there were people doing the exact same thing way way before he was, yet somehow he managed to get famous and take credit for being the innovator of such work.

c) Bit of both/neither?

I think he's a bit 'teenage' conceptually. I find him amusing and sometimes he's graphically superb, but I don't think he's either A or B.

There used be(maybe still is) a banksy stencil of a guy hitching a ride near an old home of mine in london, holding a sign that said "Anywhere"

Used make me smile.

When I lived in Melbourne, there was a Banksy picture on a wall, literally 5 minutes walk from my apartment. It was of a Guantanamo Bay detainee, kneeling on the floor, dressed in orange, and with a hood over his head. A pretty powerful image, and I'm glad we have people like Banksy to remind us of the crimes our political leaders keep committing.

There used be(maybe still is) a banksy stencil of a guy hitching a ride near an old home of mine in london, holding a sign that said "Anywhere"

Used make me smile.

This Charles Manson one? :) (nsfw'd for massive pic)

NSFW:
Banksy_Hitchhiker_to_Anywhere_Archway_2005.jpg

I think he's great, some of the messages in his paintings are superb. Also the fact that his manager is called "Pest Control" and the way he deals with the media is great. From what we've seen of his work I can't see why anyone would find him to be "a right twat"?

From what we've seen of his work I can't see why anyone would find him to be "a right twat"?

I've come across people who do though Cap'n - think it's puerile 6th formers stuff etc.

Personally I really like his stuff. And agree with most of his politics

Yeah his work is great, however, there were people doing the exact same thing way way before he was, yet somehow he managed to get famous and take credit for being the innovator of such work.

Yeah, there were a lot of similar artists doing similar things, but I don't think or feel their work is ever quite so thought provoking as his.

I really like Jef Aérosol too.

medium_1_Jef%20Aerosol%20-%20Mosko&Associ%C3%A9s.jpg

If he is a right twat then what does that make Tracey Emin?

I like Tracey Emin, twat or no. She's pretentious and self-obsessed, but she knows it. I guess her brutal honesty is what made me warm to her. I'm not really fussed about her art, it's more about her and the ideas behind what she does that I like.

A drunken talentless slag?

Aye, I'll go with that for Emin.

Banksy does some clever stuff but I can't get worked up about him. Grown to like his stuff more recently as my g/f teaches two autistic twins who idolise him and they come out with some really interesting stuff in their art.

I used to think Damien Hirst was a bit of a twat but then heard him recently on Radio 4 and he came across as sound and amazingly ego-free (relatively) for someone in his position.

Tracey Emin is just thick.

"Blek le Rat" from France was doing the same stencils 20 years before Banksy, but they're both great. They both were anonymous "criminals" once upon a time, so let the haters hate on the art galleries and book deals, etc, etc

stencils are fun and you can do them even if you have zero artistic ability like myself. I just pull an image off the internet, project it onto a wall, and draw it on cardboard, then cut it out.

Tracey Emin is just thick.

Yep - and completely devoid of talent.

Did you see her on that late night talk show on telly a few years back SHM?

Bladdered and talking pure shit?

After I watched that she made me detest her even more which is no mean feat.

Yep - and completely devoid of talent.

Did you see her on that late night talk show on telly a few years back SHM?

Bladdered and talking pure shit?

After I watched that she made me detest her even more which is no mean feat.

She broke her finger, and was drinking on top of pain meds, t'is no wonder she was off it. She even said in her book, that she didn't even realise she was on the show until one of her friends phoned her the next morning.

For the haters :p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNr2LOkXYE

Yes, it was embarrassing. But she also had a point, albeit a rather slurred and inebriated point. All the other pompous pricks in the room weren't getting it, and they look even more ridiculous than she does imo (check out the twat with the lipstick on each cheak =D). It's cringe worthy, car crash TV at it's finest, and I love how uncomfortable it makes me feel. :D