• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Bali Nine Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be executed together in Bal

the president is a fan of the band "napalm death". the band wrote to him to plead for clemency.

http://heavymag.com.au/napalm-death...-president-joko-widodo-on-bali-nine-sentence/

Dear Mr Widodo,

I am appealing directly to you to please spare the lives of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, the two Australian citizens who are currently awaiting the death sentence in Indonesia for heroin smuggling. As a follower of our band Napalm Death, you would appreciate that our lyrics and ethos challenge the unbroken cycle of violence in the world, whether it comes from a state or as an individual. If these things are not challenged and ultimately changed, I believe we will never truly move forward as humankind.

I understand that you are standing as a leader determined to change things for the better, and so I believe granting clemency would be a major step forward in this pursuit of betterment. I appreciate that heroin can be damaging on many levels, but I believe that this is a much deeper issue that cannot be changed or altered by simply taking away the lives of people.

Again, I respectfully ask that you make a real difference and overturn these sentences.

In hope and peace

Mark ‘Barney’ Greenway (Napalm Death)

Respect

.................................................................................

Mr Widodo,

Don't find fault, find a remedy.
Henry Ford

Leadership is solving problems.
Colin Powell

The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for themselves.
Ray Kroc

Enlightened leadership is spiritual if we understand spirituality not as some kind of religious dogma or ideology but as the domain of awareness where we experience values like truth, goodness, beauty, love and compassion, and also intuition, creativity, insight and focused attention.
Deepak Chopra

Leadership is unlocking people's potential to become better.
Bill Bradley

Time is neutral and does not change things. With courage and initiative, leaders change things.
Jesse Jackson

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
Laurence J. Peter

Last edited:
^ Cheers, I'll post it up for everyone -

Indonesia 'evaluating' recent executions

Indonesia will not order the executions of Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran for at least another week.

Spokesman for Indonesia's attorney-general, Tony Spontana, says the executions of six drug offenders held last week are still being evaluated.

"Evaluation on the first execution implementation is predicted to be finished this week," he said on Monday.

"After the evaluation of the first executions is finished, then we will prepare for the second round."

Chan, 31, and Sukumaran, 33, have had their pleas for presidential clemency rejected and are on track for the firing squad.

They were visited by family and friends on Monday.

Chan's older brother Michael arrived, followed by Sukumaran's mother Raji, wearing dark sunglasses.

Sukumaran's younger brother Chintu went into the prison with his younger sister, Brintha, both looking upset after the visit.

Australia's consul-general in Bali Majel Hind accompanied them.

None spoke to reporters.

The pair's lawyers are preparing to file for another judicial review of their cases, but it's uncertain the courts will hear a second extraordinary appeal.

Indonesia's President Joko Widodo argues executions of drug offenders are needed to shock the nation out of its drugs crisis.

But lawyers for the Australians, as well as Prime Minister Tony Abbott, argue the men are reformed, and deserving of mercy.

Kerobokan prison governor Sudjonggo told reporters he saw Sukumaran meeting his mother and siblings in the visitors' hall, and Chan with his brother in another room, but didn't join them.

"I don't want to bother them, let them make the most of the visiting hours," he said.

"They have asked for more relaxed visiting hours, and with that, maybe (Sukumaran and Chan) will be stronger."

https://au.gwn7.yahoo.com/w1/news/a/-/local/26100533/indonesia-evaluating-recent-executions/

Tony Trimingham: Why the worst thing that could happen to Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran is their execution

727135-cc766844-a507-11e4-a11e-9d15a37a8504.jpg

Tony Trimingham with a picture of his son, Damien. who he lost to a drug overdose. Source: News Corp Australia

WHEN Damien Trimingham was 22 years old, he died from a heroin overdose.
He wasn’t a long-term heroin user, nor was he unintelligent, unpopular, unambitious, or any other stereotype you might associate with drug users.

“When Damien got into heroin and drugs we were living on Sydney’s North Shore,” explains his father, Tony. “He went to Chatswood High School, he was a high achiever, and an excellent sports person — he played football, went to state athletics, was house captain, a prefect, and generally very well regarded. He was the sort of person you’d expect to do really well in life. He was reasonably settled, he had a girlfriend, lots of friends, and it was the last thing I ever expected. When he told me I got the shock of my life.”

Mr Trimingham reacted “as a lot of fathers do” by trying to fix the situation. He sent Damien to be with his sister on the Blue Mountains “for a cold turkey detox.”

“The next 12 months were very up and down, but he got a new girlfriend, he started bushwalking … we didn’t realise that we hadn’t solved it all, it’s a very complicated issue. At some moments it was very positive but he had very black moments, and he started drinking a lot.

“The day he died, he went shopping with his girlfriend in the morning, and they’d called in at the local pub on their way home. They had an argument, she left, he started drinking, he got some money out of the ATM, he caught the train into Taylor Square, he shot up at 10.15pm. It was what they call the trifecta — he hadn’t been using so his tolerance had dropped, he’d been drinking, and he went to an isolated place.

A security guard on patrol saw Damien sitting there and had to call for another guard as per their protocol, by which time he had slumped forward and it was already too late.”

With such a traumatic story, you could understand Mr Trimingham being unsympathetic towards the fate of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, two members of the Bali 9 who could face execution this week. They were arrested in Bali on April 17 2005 for attempting to smuggle heroin out of Indonesia, and have been sentenced to death by firing squad. Their final presidential clemency plea was rejected last week.

But Mr Trimingham is far from being in agreement with their execution — in fact, he believes the two men are genuinely remorseful, and that rather than being put to death, they could be rehabilitated back into the community, and used to warn people of the dangers of drugs in every capacity.

“When I heard about the Bali 9 all those years ago, I was very distressed that they’d done it, but I could see that in a way they were just like my son — they were stupid, they were young, they were doing something they hadn’t thought about too much,” he explains.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...-their-execution/story-fnq2o7dd-1227197727575

“The more I know the more I realise that the worst thing that could happen is their execution. It’s terrible to think that now they are facing the death penalty. Their families will go through everything I did, and for what? What good would it do? It doesn’t change the fact that people use drugs, it doesn’t change the fact that people will continue import drugs.

“The families are the innocent people. They love their kids just like we love our drug-using kids, but you’re just a bystander in this. I have sympathy for the young men, and the reality of what these families have gone through over the past ten years, what they’re going through now, it’s heartbreaking.”
Indeed, the families of both Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have already spoken about their heart wrenching situation, pleading for clemency along with countless Australian celebrities and public figures.

“I know that there are a lot of people on board that don’t believe that they should be taken away and shot, and then there is still going to be an element of people that do. But I just ask those people to maybe put the shoe on the other foot and think that they were young kids, stupid kids that made a stupid mistake that have showed over the last 10 years they have changed and reformed themselves,” Andrew’s brother Michael Chan said.

“I’ve got no doubt that our government is doing everything they can diplomatically, but I wonder if it should go beyond that,” says Mr Trimingham. “I understand we should respect the Indonesian government, but this is barbaric. It’s something we abandoned al long time ago, and it’s time we put other pressures on Indonesia. We give them a lot of foreign aid, we help them a lot, but by just allowing it to happened, we’re just sitting idle.

“Damien has been dead 18 years next month. The pain has changed. It comes in waves, it’s very difficult. But especially it being a drug related death, it’s difficult because you know that the death’s preventable. This is the parallel with the Bali boys — people don’t have to die from heroin overdose, and they don’t have to die either. It’s a wasted, pointless death.”

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...-their-execution/story-fnq2o7dd-1227197727575

Derryn Hinch slams celebrity-backed Bali Nine mercy campaign video

RADIO AND TV personality Derryn Hinch has criticised the decision made by Australian celebrities to call for mercy for Bali Nine masterminds Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, saying their campaign is “hypocritical”.

In a video posted to YouTube and Hinch’s own website, he declared he was not one of the celebrities who have chosen to appear in a video where they all state “I stand for mercy”.

Among those lending their support to the campaign are Australian actors Asher Keddie, Claudia Karvan, Justine Clarke, Bryan Brown, David Wenham and Richard Roxbugh, musicians Missy Higgins and Megan Washington, and political commentators Alan Jones and Germaine Greer.

In his own video message, Hinch explained why he thought they were all “hypocritical”.

“They’ve all lined up, they’ve all signed up and I think it’s hypocritical,” he began.

“In Indonesia, they know that when they commit crimes like this, then you could get the death penalty.

“I say hypocritical because are these people who are up there who are saying ‘I stand for mercy’ — is that for Australian drug dealers or Australians on death row, or for everybody?”

He questioned why they did not stand for mercy when Indonesia recently executed six prisoners.

“I mean did they stand up a week ago and say ‘I stand for mercy’ for the Brazilian who was executed in Indonesia, or the one from the Netherlands, or the Indonesian woman or somebody from Malawi? Or is it just Australians?,” he said.

He also questioned whether those celebrities involved in the video were against the death penalty in general, or if they were only against capital punishment for specific offences.

“Also if you are against the death penalty, are you against the death penalty for all offences?,” he asked.

[video=youtube_share;sBC8ZxMO2Cc]http://youtu.be/sBC8ZxMO2Cc[/video]

http://www.news.com.au/national/der...y-campaign-video/story-fncynjr2-1227198776862

Does Australia still have capital punishment?

whinging is derryn hinch's bread and butter. he does it in his sleep and will go on until he carks it.

Right.. what an attention grabbing drama whore, this would seem to be his bread and butter from this.. dont even know who he is really so im kinda talking smack..

Never seen clearer alcoholic's eyes though..

775792-3b87599c-a606-11e4-b988-694a6302ad1f.jpg

His pupils are also pinned to almost disappearing???

he shot to fame in the 80's via a prime time current events flavoured opinion piece tv soap box where he'd bark allegations and punctuate each story with the catchphrase "shame! shame! shame!"

He also got jailed for releasing the name of a pedophile when it was against the law to do so.

(I think from memory).

Clemency hopes fade for Bali Nine inmates as Indonesian President promises ‘no compromise’

HOPES of Bali Nine drug smugglers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran being spared death by firing squad have been dealt another blow.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo says he will make “no compromise” on sending condemned drug dealers to the firing squad, including the two Australians on death row.

In an interview with CNN to mark 100 days in office, Mr Joko says Indonesia’s drugs problem needs a serious approach.

“Imagine, every day we have 50 people die because of narcotics, because of drugs,” he said.

“In one year, it’s 18,000 people who die because of narcotics.

“We are not going to compromise for drug dealers. No compromise. No compromise.”

791833-eba1161e-a6a2-11e4-a9d7-6cc5c5f56890.jpg

Joko Widodo says there will be no compromise over the death penalty for drug dealers. Source: Supplied

Mr Joko said it was the courts that determined death sentences, and the condemned could ask him for clemency.

“But I tell you, there will be no amnesty for drug dealers,” he said.

Asked if that meant no relief for the Australians, Mr Joko just shook his head.

RELATED: Bali Nine drug smuggler Andrew Chan’s powerful message to Australians

The first six of 64 drug offenders on death row were sent to the firing squad last week.

Chan and Sukumaran have already received Mr Joko’s rejection of their clemency, and could be next.

Authorities will this week evaluate the first executions before setting a date for the next round.

Those executions prompted Brazil and The Netherlands to withdraw their ambassadors in protest after their pleas to save their citizens were ignored.

Australia could take the same step if Chan and Sukumaran are killed.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...es-no-compromise/story-fnq2o7dd-1227199791958

Have to agree with Juggling Jezzus here, risk / reward. Seems harsh and unreasonable by our standards but then again they aren't and you knew that, says it in BOLD CAPITAL RED LETTERS on your border pass "Be forewarned death to all drug trafficers"

why do you feel that posted laws that promote tempting black markets justify murder?

Last edited:
Black markets exists irrespective of laws, always have always will. Laws aren't created to 'promote' punishments, punishments are created to induce people not to break laws.

Black markets exists irrespective of laws

please do tell.. and please make it good or i will tear it apart.. yes please tell me how much heroin would cost if it was free market?

Not specific to Heroin or any drugs in particular 'black market' applies to any and all goods/services exchanged outside of the 'white market'. This would include anything exchanged in the 'grey market' as well....like used books for example. Anything that cant be measured in GDP technically falls under this scope.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator: