• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Bali Nine Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran to be executed together in Bal

'Am I being executed?': Priest claims schizophrenic death row inmate was unaware of his impending execution until final moments

3004_gularte_sp.ashx

The spiritual advisor to a mentally ill prisoner who was executed alongside the Bali Nine pair said the Brazilian man was so unwell with schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder he did not fully comprehend what was happening.

Father Charlie Burrows told the ABC that he was given time with Rodrigo Gularte, 42, shortly before the man faced the firing squad alongside Bali Nine pair Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan early yesterday morning.

The 72-year-old Irish Catholic priest said Gularte was unaware of what was happening to him.

“I had time to get him ready because he had to be put in chains, because he doesn’t like being touched,” he said.

“He started to get the message, and when the chains started going on he said to me, “Oh no, oh Father, am I being executed?”.

Father Burrows said Gularte became “annoyed” when he realised what was happening.

“He was annoyed, he didn’t get angry, he said, ‘Why is this happening? This is not right, I made a small mistake, why can’t they just leave me in jail on the island and I won’t give anybody any trouble.’”

Father Burrows said the “voices” that Gularte heard as a result of his schizophrenia reassured the death row inmate that everything would be fine.

“He believed the voices more than he did anybody else,” Father Burrows said.

Gularte reportedly underwent a second mental health assessment prior to his execution. The results were never made public.

While the priest had witnessed multiple executions previously, he was not allowed to watch yesterday morning’s executions.

He said he was banned because of a previous court appearance in which he gave evidence that death by firing squad was torture.

He said none of the prisoners wore a blindfold, however it was a “very dark night” and he said he doubted the prisoners would have been able to see their executioners.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...re-of-impending-execution#WLIHdfPYi1hxHRIz.99

Indonesia’s bloodthirsty desire for crime and punishment

INDONESIA’S government has thumbed its nose at Tony Abbott’s upset over the executions of Bali Nine pair Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, patting itself on the back for a “perfect” job done.

And a closer look at the country’s bizarre and bloody history of capital punishment might explain why.

Yesterday was the culmination of an inhumane ten-year ordeal for Chan and Sukumaran and their families, the death sentence doled out despite desperate pleas from across the world.

Indonesia’s authorities turned their deaths into a humiliating spectacle, forcing the condemned Australians to pose for selfies with guards on their flight from Denpasar to execution island after an over-the-top display of strength that included fighter jets, armoured

vehicles and riot police for the two mid-level drug traffickers.

Execution rates in the nation have been characterised by unpredictable stops and starts, often based on campaigning presidents looking to denounce particular crimes.

President Joko Widodo’s crackdown on drugs since his election in October has left him blind to the duo’s rehabilitation and remorse, and deaf to the pleas and condemnation of the international community.

The death penalty appeared on Indonesian statutes when the republic was formed in 1949, but only three executions took place under Indonesia’s first President Sukarno, for an attempt to assassinate him in the late 1950s, according to Daniel Pascoe from City

University of Hong Kong. Executions remained rare until the trials of 22 alleged Indonesian Communist Party conspirators in the late 1960s and early 1970s under second president, Suharto.

During Suharto’s 31-year rule, a further nine people were executed for murder and six for Islamic terrorism, according to Indonesian NGO Kontras.

That changed in 1975, when Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia introduced the death penalty for serious drug offences, in a bid to halt the flow of narcotics through Asia from the Golden Triangle.

During the “reform area” that followed the president’s resignation in 1998, 60 per cent of executions were for drug-related crimes.

In August 2004, President Megawati Sukarnoputri ordered the first capital punishment in the country for three years. Indian Ayodhya Prasad Chaubey, 67, was executed by firing squad on the island of Sumatra for drug smuggling, just weeks before a close-run election,

which Sukarnoputri lost to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

The next spike in executions came in 2008, when 10 people were killed (murderers, drug traffickers, and three “Bali bombers”) as President Yudhoyono faced pressure to prove he was tough on crime ahead of 2009’s presidential election.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/i...e-and-punishment/story-fnh81fz8-1227327223702

'Am I being executed?': Priest claims schizophrenic death row inmate was unaware of his impending execution until final moments

3004_gularte_sp.ashx

The spiritual advisor to a mentally ill prisoner who was executed alongside the Bali Nine pair said the Brazilian man was so unwell with schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder he did not fully comprehend what was happening.

Father Charlie Burrows told the ABC that he was given time with Rodrigo Gularte, 42, shortly before the man faced the firing squad alongside Bali Nine pair Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan early yesterday morning.

The 72-year-old Irish Catholic priest said Gularte was unaware of what was happening to him.

“I had time to get him ready because he had to be put in chains, because he doesn’t like being touched,” he said.

“He started to get the message, and when the chains started going on he said to me, “Oh no, oh Father, am I being executed?”.

Father Burrows said Gularte became “annoyed” when he realised what was happening.

“He was annoyed, he didn’t get angry, he said, ‘Why is this happening? This is not right, I made a small mistake, why can’t they just leave me in jail on the island and I won’t give anybody any trouble.’”

Father Burrows said the “voices” that Gularte heard as a result of his schizophrenia reassured the death row inmate that everything would be fine.

“He believed the voices more than he did anybody else,” Father Burrows said.

Gularte reportedly underwent a second mental health assessment prior to his execution. The results were never made public.

While the priest had witnessed multiple executions previously, he was not allowed to watch yesterday morning’s executions.

He said he was banned because of a previous court appearance in which he gave evidence that death by firing squad was torture.

He said none of the prisoners wore a blindfold, however it was a “very dark night” and he said he doubted the prisoners would have been able to see their executioners.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...re-of-impending-execution#WLIHdfPYi1hxHRIz.99

thats just sickening well the whole thing is but killing a mentally disturbed man is beyond sick

Myuran Sukumaran’s mother writes powerful open letter to Indonesian President Joko Widodo

RAJI Sukumaran, the mother of Bali Nine ringleader Myuran Sukumaran has penned a powerful open letter to Indonesian President Joko Widodo about the execution of her son.
As she plans to bury her son, who was shot by firing squad on the island of Nusa Kambangan last week for his role in a heroin smuggling plot in 2005, Mrs Sukumaran has appealed to Mr Widodo as a father and husband.
“I would really like to think that you would be able to understand, if you don’t, then feel free to share this letter with your wife, who I think would understand, one mother to another,” Mrs Sukumaran wrote in the emotional missive.
“My son doesn’t want another mother, father, sister or brother to go through what we went through. For no grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins or friends should have to deal with what we’ve had to deal with.”

The full text of the letter is below:

Dear Mr President, Leader of Indonesia and father of three children,
My name is Raji Sukumaran, and my son, Myuran Sukumaran, was executed in the early hours of Wednesday 29 April 2015 under your instructions.
As I make the preparations to bury my beautiful son, I thought I would share my feelings with you. I thought I would share how my son was reformed, was full of life, love and passion, and who so desperately wanted to live his life in service to help others.
I have made this letter open in the hope that it may help other people or their families, in some way as they sit and wait for you to order their deaths.
I would really like to think that you would be able to understand, if you don’t, then feel free to share this letter with your wife, who I think would understand, one mother to another.
My son doesn’t want another mother, father, sister or brother to go through what we went through. For no grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins or friends should have to deal with what we’ve had to deal with.

I am not sure where you were as the men you ordered to kill my son, and seven others pulled the trigger but I am sure you were far away. My son died knowing all his loved ones were close by waiting in a hotel room to hear the news that he had been executed. My son did commit a serious crime but he also apologised to your country and your people many times.
In the last 10 years while you kept him in prison, he chose to do all within his power to make up for his crime. It wasn’t easy, I am not sure anyone will ever realise how hard it is to try to be a good man in prison, to be a positive role model for other younger prisoners, Indonesian prisoners.
Myu spent many years rehabilitating so many prisoners, he hoped that he could help as many people as possible, to give them a chance to leave prison to go out in the world a little better than they came inside.

Myu helped prisoners who struggled with drug use and many other issues.
My son never asked for his rehabilitation to be enough to free him from prison, all he asked was that he not be killed. Was it too much for you to let him live the remainder of his life in prison? I have heard that many others around you took the time to read and learn of the works of my son, and of Andrew and of the people they helped. Many of whom are now helping other people themselves. I cannot believe that all of his works could not even get you to even read the paper you were signing.
I remember when you were elected as President of Indonesia, my son was celebrating. My son told me that ‘Our new President is a man of the people, a person that would support education, rehabilitation and people bettering themselves’ and that you would look into everything he had done in the prison.

I guess he was wrong. As human being, I can’t even understand how you could sign a person’s death without looking into their personal circumstances. If you do not read what you are signing how can you know whether the life you are taking belongs to someone who is mentally unwell, or an old man in a wheelchair, or young mother with two children, or a father of two, or a man who has been in your prison for 17 years, or a gospel singer, or two young boys who made foolish mistakes. My son only hoped to live in prison for the remainder of his life so that he could be able to continue his good work, which has become known around the world.
All he wanted was to be given a chance to do that.
I as a mother was punished for 10 years as well for his crime, and I will be punished for the rest of my life now because you took his life. I did not ask you to send my son home. I just asked you not to order his death but instead you ignored me and many others. I asked to meet you, to speak to you but once again you could not even have the courage to face our requests to communicate with you.

I will not have the chance to see him get married, have children. Mr President, do you think that your punishment towards my son after he had spent 10 years in gaol reformed and helping others and then executing him is fair and just? Do you as a leader feel that everyone who faces justice in Indonesia is treated fairly and equally? Do you believe that Indonesia has a justice system that doesn’t make mistakes? Do you not hear or read all the stories about corruption in criminal cases?
I think this is something very important —you have told the thousands and thousands of people in prisons across your country, that no matter how hard you work, no matter how much you change your life, no matter what your personal circumstances are — you will not receive mercy. You ask them to not try, as I have never heard of anyone in prison around the world doing the works my son has done — it was still not enough for you to read his clemency application.

continued...

...kytnism...:|

I hope Australians let him know what the score is when it comes time for holiday travel.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of drug executions is to discourage potential drug users to travel to the country. The other 90% of the human population are probably still going to go to Bali to enjoy the sun and surf

journeyman covers the plight of filipino woman, mary jane velaso (whom was intended to face the firing squad the same evening as andrew chan and myuran sukumaran and received temporary clemency).

...kytnism...:|

Myuran Sukumaran’s mother writes powerful open letter to Indonesian President Joko Widodo...

No parents should have to be burdened with burying their children.

I consider people like Joko Widodo to be war criminals with a lot of innocent blood on their often corrupt hands. And I hope that justice finds each and everyone of them in one form or another.

I have a feeling this Indonesian Prime Minister wouldn't be acting so tough if Australia put a travel ban on going to Indonesia. All those tourist dollars they would lose would hurt their economy quite abit. Maybe if they lost a fuckload of cash like that it would civilize them abit. Murdering bastards.

You mean the drunken, drug taking bogans who mostly frequent Bali? Or how about the motorcycle gang members who have fled Australia due to special laws introduced?

I doubt he would shed too many tears if Russians or Chinese took their place

You mean the drunken, drug taking bogans who mostly frequent Bali? Or how about the motorcycle gang members who have fled Australia due to special laws introduced?

I doubt he would shed too many tears if Russians or Chinese took their place

Why would Russians or Chinese go to fucking Indonesia? Then again i wonder why fucking Aussies go there as well. I don't know what the Russian or Chinese word for hick is but yeah it's not like either of those nationalities are known for their excessive alcohol consumption 8)

^ You must never have lived in China. I saw it there multiple times. Drunk guys grabbing knives and hammers to attack each other. Nasty stuff.

Poor fuckers, no matter what they did drugs should not be a crime. Very stupid to have done it there though....