• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] Have You Ever Had a Bad Trip?

Have you ever had a bad trip?

• Yes I have.

Votes: 346 49.4%
  • No I have never.

Votes: 150 21.4%
  • No but I have had [b]difficult[/b] trips.

Votes: 195 27.9%
  • I never have and am confident I never will.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other / Not sure (post alternative answer!)

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
Merged two threads with identical TT and very similar setup.

Let me merge OPs to be sure.

I have done some large doses of the most psychedelic you can think of, and no matter how hard I try, I simply won't bad trip. I have tried a couple of times to induce a bad trip when I trip alone with some dark music etc. Closest thing I've had to a bad trip was in a pale black bathroom with glowsticks and mirror. Kind of freaked me out, but nothing serious.

Even my first time on LSD (180µg, also first time on psychedelics) I tripped with my friend in his basement, I couldnt let him know that I was tripping so I was holding it back like fuck. The hardest thing I've done in my entire life :p When I left his house later that night I thought back and it was the most awesome experience of my LIFE

How is a bad trip?

Idk.. My life is pretty good and I love psychedelics more than anything.

I voted just now as, "No, only difficult ones"

Im pretty sure i may have contributed to this in the past, or said differing things in different headspaces over time, but I don't really think a bad trip is possible. Just difficult. Or fighting it.

THere was a time, on a low dose of mushrooms I thought i shit myself and this portpotty was turning into a satanic like shit mouth speaking to me. Pretty random.

Hmmm. What else. I have never had a classic "bad trip"

The kind of thing that spirals out of control and never ends. I guess everyones different. Ive had a lot of wierd or uncomfortable places though. Never a whole experience though.

I think a lot of people view a bad trip as something that will be specifically "satanic" or "death oriented", but the whole El Dia de Muertos, grateful dead kinda vibe is more the way i view these kind of experiences. Or rather something positive. You could even argue, end of life crisises as, an early version of this perception..

Kinda like how the onset of a high dose mushroom trip has that very familiar feeling of things changing. I could see how someone inexperienced, or atleast, closed minded, might view walls angling in, faces in person or television becoming demonic and having personal meaning, strong forces pressing down to be threatening. That whole thing. That might not be specific to everyone. I'm not really sure.

Kinda like this right? But less pastel and hilarious..

A bad trip, from what I would think would be the source, is some internal content, or undealt with anxiety, or repressed feeling or need. And this internal conflict manifests as a sensation, which the imagination transforms into perceivable concepts by being very malleable and persuadable under the influence.

If you stay with the feelings, its most likely, a place will appear where the negative feelings, and the subjective effects of the substance, separate, and have opposing characters. Too high of a dose is one thing, but a reasonable one, I'd think could certainly reach a place where the effects of the substance aren't threatening anymore, because the tripper is 100 percent consumed psychologically with their entire running memory with the feelings that are making them uncomfortable.
D%C3%ADa-de-Muertos.jpg

"There has been so much paranoia created around the drug (LSD), that people are already on a bad trip before they even take it..."

"But it's all in your mind,
Don't think your time,
On bad things,
Just float your little mind around."
-Jimi Hendrix

Last edited:
Have not read any of the thread to this point. Nearly every trip has a 20 min. anxiety fueled moment in time. Followed by the realization it is all good and the world is good again after that point. Never had a bad trip start to finish. Never had bliss start to finish either. You learn from both equally and they both serve a purpose.

'There are no bad trips, only learning experiences' eh?

I would count myself as having had two bad trips, and a few where things got a bit overwhelming/I felt anxious some of the time/difficult stuff came up. This second category I'd happily say were learning experiences, but the two bad ones taught me very basic lessons:
- I don't like smoking salvia.
- Don't be a dick and take a self-destructive attitude to ingesting mind-altering substances because you're upset.

That first point came from this salvia experience: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/714953-S-divinorum-experiences
The second I was all in a tangle about a woman, drank a few super-strength ciders, had a line of k, a bomb of speed, more k, a couple of lines of speed, something else off someone else, smoked some stupidly strong skunk... Too Much Of Everything. My last vaguely coherent memory is looking at a drop of acid on the back of my hand and slurping it up under UV lights in a ridiculously intense club environment. I had a massive paranoia panic episode that lasted until about 7 the next morning, was too battered and confused to find a way out of the fear, and was full of shame for being such an idiot.

edit: I won her back and married her in the end =D

For me, bad trips or even difficult moments have never been rooted in the content of the visuals. . .

ebola

Hey, I now know pretty much everything there is to know about DXM. From experiences and reading and learning about the stuff throughout my life. It has opened my mind to things which cant be explained. I've gone threw terribly bad trips, I've had extremely enlightening trips. DXM DEFINITELY helped me get threw dopesick
smiley1.gif
(Opiate withdrawal). I love DXM. Delsym. I wanted to tell you about the first bad trip i had.

I was 16 and had done DXM a few times for fun. But this time i went all out for some reason. I went and stole 2 (5Oz) bottles of delseym and decided i was going to do it and go to school. I hated school. So i was hanging out with my friends and i stayed up all night bullshitting with them. Then at about 7:30AM i Drank both bottles of Delsym which is 1776mg DXM Poly (i didn't know this then) all together. My bus usually came at 8 0r 8:30 so i just chilled out , trying not to puke it back up, listening to the new Eminem album that just came out. I always loved music.

So my bus finally came and i got on. I was just starting to feel it hit me a little so i was probably "Robowalking" onto the bus... Anyway i sat down and was enjoying the onset of the trip, listening to the Eminem CD i just got. I was on the side of the bus with the long seats, all the way at the window. I remember when it starting getting really weird, the Eminem song i was listening to started getting chopped and screwed. Like the lyrics would be of beat, it was all mashed up. I was like what the fuck! So i took off the headphones and was looking toward the isle, and my friend looked over the seat. I remember seeing his face and it started morphing into this crazy creepy weird looking thing and i couldn't take it so i closed my eyes and remember hear the sounds of the bus, it was causing these crazy CEV's and it was like another world!

We finally got to school and this is where things went bad...
I walked into the classroom and sat down and everything was like, pulsing and shaking. I had this crazy fly vision, like everything was piixilated i guess. i started feeling like a cold feeling in my chest spread throughout my entire being and i started getting scared. So i ran to the nurse and told her i didn't feel good. She took my blood pressure and looked at my like i was a ghost! She said "What did you take?!" So i told her what i did and that i was going to die, i felt like i was going to die! Everything was so pulsating and coming at me so crazy. i felt like everything was shaking and pulsating with the rhythm of my heart. My heart was beating supper fast. at that point i remember they walked me out to the ambulance, I felt like they were all 100 feet high and i was looking way up at them!! I was so small!

The next thing i remember is being in the hospital. My mom and dad where there. Once they found out what i had done they, of course, were pissed. And concerned for my health. So the docs told them i overdosed on cough syrup,that i would be fine just need to me monitored for the day. i was laying in the bed and my mom was telling me how much of an idiot i was for doing this shit. at the same time leaning over to pop my zits on my forehead. (me and my mother are very close) i was still tripping hard, everything was still pulsing, almost like, hemorrhaging, shaking like crazy stampede type feeling. I don't know how to explain it. Things were getting cold again and i was constantly thinking i was going to die. I kept telling my mom i love her and my dad too. i remember getting home later that day and telling my dad i had to go get my PlayStation from my friends house i was at the previous night. He let me go get it.

I got to my friends house and filled him in on what happened, still tripping the whole time. He didn't know what to say. even i felt like an idiot. We ended up smoking a bowl of weed and that was the craziest thing ever. I got so scared freaked out i thought i was going to die again. my friend told me after we smoked, i passed out. He kept watch over me, making sure i was still alive and breathing.

I don't remember after that. Until i woke. and recounted the whole crazy thing...

That was my worst trip ever. i just wanted to share it with the world of DXM'rs!

I guess I am not really sure how one defines a "bad trip". If you are talking about a massive fear over whether you've finally done it and will never come back, then I get that with every trip to some degree. But with every trip I have done alone, in my room, probably talking a bit incoherently to myself but otherwise just sitting around taking in music, movies, everything. The worst was probably my very first trip where I convinced myself that I had actually died and was in fact lying in a hospital room or just rotting away in my room having died from a heart attack or something that I never felt or experienced. But is that not all normal of the psychedelic experience? In which case no I have never had a bad trip.

Only one "bad trip", and a few difficult ones. My only bad trip was when I stupidly ate almost a half ounce of mushrooms on a vyvanse comedown when i was like 15 or so. Went to the hospital because i thought my heart was going to explode.

Took a huge dose of 25i thinking it was LSD... the most uncomfortable, anxiogenic come-up I've ever experienced. Then I realized there was no magic or the positive push of LSD, just this sinister-digital, nauseating trip taking over. The visuals were so dizzying I was vomiting. I couldn't understand words nor speak words, except take me to the hospital. I just wanted some fucking IV valium or thorazine ASAP!

Luckily I had a quetiapine to take and end the trip within 30 mins or so.

I can handle 25x's just fine now, especially when I know what the fuck they actually are!

Please help

Maybe someone here can help me... I haven't smoked weed in about 4 months, before that, probably a year. I was at a party and I took 4 decent hits from my friend's trippy stick which was a wax form of hash oil-that's what he said. I had to go sit in my car with my boyfriend because I knew I was extremely high and I didn't want anyone at the party to see me like this and as soon as I shut my car door I shit you not, I was in hell. It was humid out and my A/C was on full blast so the windows were foggy and all you could see were the lights from outside which I thought were demon eyes.. My car was my safe haven and demons were swarming it yelling at me telling me it was time to go. I thought I was having a heart attack and I'm not sure if it was the hash or a near death experience, but my heart wanted to jump out of my chest... I was clawing into my boyfriends arm, it felt like someone was pulling me, ripping my soul out of my body and my bf kept telling me that I said "It's so hard to stay here with you, I'm fighting so hard to stay here" and "I can't do it anymore, he's going to take me"...

I had 4 of these very long, intense episodes. I am so scared still, this just happened last weekend, and I have no one to talk to other than my bf. I mean, I know I had a bad trip, and I know my hallucinations got the best of me, but I seriously felt like I was about to die and some huge force was pulling me out of that car. I kept yelling "Ow" and "Stop pulling me, go away" ... I'm scared shitless because what I felt was nothing I've ever felt before, and I've had bad trips on shrooms before so I kinda know what to expect. This one was different. There was physical contact and I'm not sure what to think.

Any advice? Has anyone ever experienced actual contact on a bad trip where you actually feel like if you let go then something is going to take you?

Maybe someone here can help me... I haven't smoked weed in about 4 months, before that, probably a year. I was at a party and I took 4 decent hits from my friend's trippy stick which was a wax form of hash oil-that's what he said. I had to go sit in my car with my boyfriend because I knew I was extremely high and I didn't want anyone at the party to see me like this and as soon as I shut my car door I shit you not, I was in hell. It was humid out and my A/C was on full blast so the windows were foggy and all you could see were the lights from outside which I thought were demon eyes.. My car was my safe haven and demons were swarming it yelling at me telling me it was time to go. I thought I was having a heart attack and I'm not sure if it was the hash or a near death experience, but my heart wanted to jump out of my chest... I was clawing into my boyfriends arm, it felt like someone was pulling me, ripping my soul out of my body and my bf kept telling me that I said "It's so hard to stay here with you, I'm fighting so hard to stay here" and "I can't do it anymore, he's going to take me"...

I had 4 of these very long, intense episodes. I am so scared still, this just happened last weekend, and I have no one to talk to other than my bf. I mean, I know I had a bad trip, and I know my hallucinations got the best of me, but I seriously felt like I was about to die and some huge force was pulling me out of that car. I kept yelling "Ow" and "Stop pulling me, go away" ... I'm scared shitless because what I felt was nothing I've ever felt before, and I've had bad trips on shrooms before so I kinda know what to expect. This one was different. There was physical contact and I'm not sure what to think.

Any advice? Has anyone ever experienced actual contact on a bad trip where you actually feel like if you let go then something is going to take you?

Same thing has happened to my girl. There was no contact, it was all in your mind. I know it's hard to believe, but don't let that get the best of you.

She has had plenty of bad trips, some quite like this one you described. You just had some super strong stuff that you weren't ready to. Nothing happened to your heart, it wasn't a near death experience. It's common to feel your heart slightly accelerated sometimes when smoking, it's nothing serious and it's a lot more in your head than something that's actually happening.

However people who aren't expecting this or aren't educated on it think it must be serious, and get anxious and paranoid. Paranoia is a chain reaction, the more anxious you get the more worried you get, the more worried you get the more anxious you get and it just goes on... but it's easy to break that cycle if you have done your research and know absolutely nothing will happen and you will feel normal soon enough. I've heard this story just about a million times, my heart is racing, i'm gonna die call the ambulances it's a heart attack. And in reality the persons heart is beating like 10% faster than normal.

I've felt like this myself many times, in fact even worse. But it is a very small % of my highs, less than even 1%. And now when it happens i just smile to myself and say here we go again, but just take it like it is and relax because its gone in a couple of hours. Drinking a coke helps, anything with plenty of sugar. Eating some chocolate as well.

I'm sorry that you went through it, but trust me, you will be, and are, absolutely fine. Take a break from smoking, and then if you do decide to smoke again make sure to build up a tolerance first, with small tokes or smoking weak-mid grade stuff first. I wish you all the best, cheers

My only bad psychedelic trip has been with psilocybin mushrooms, though I would characterize it as more "difficult" than "bad". My friend G and I (we always do psychs together) accidentally took far more than we should have (in hindsight I'd say it was likely upward of 7 grams each, whereas I find about 3.5-4 to be the sweet spot).

We were feeling physically uncomfortable during the come up and decided to lie down. Shockingly, we both fell asleep during the come up and awoke during the peak. Going from sleeping to peaking was rather disorienting and the visuals were overwhelming, second only to DMT for me. Physically, G and I felt awful. We were unable to walk or even stand, we were sweating profusely, and felt exceedingly thirsty. This is the only time I've experienced side effects of this nature with mushrooms.

It was definitely unpleasant but there was still an obvious awareness that I was just on drugs, the experience would end soon, and that I was in no physical danger. I characterize it as a "bad" trip only because G and I couldn't wait for it to end. That being said, the visuals were absolutely mind blowing. Even with the confusion and the side effects I would still stop and think to myself "This is insane and breathtaking.... too bad I feel like crap".

I had a bad trip about five months ago in the same environment I usually trip and I was in a good state of mind.. Since then I have been suffering from HPPD and every time I trip I get flashbacks from my bad trip. Like I will see the exact same visuals that I did when I had my bad trip, as if I am reliving the experience over again. It's not scary anymore and I have moved on from the experience, however, I feel like it has tainted my experiences since then and has given my trips the same visuals regardless of what substance I'm on. It taught me a lesson though, and I learned that that being in a good set and setting is only half of having a good trip, the other half is making sure you aren't just tripping for fun. If you plan the trip well and trip for spiritual or enlightening purposes then your experience will be positive.

I had painful diarrhea cramps in the middle of the desert miles from a bathroom recently that destroyed an AL-LAD trip. Walked miles back to our campground after being chased by bees and I spent the rest of my trip going to the toilet every half hour and wiping myself raw, all the while feeling really intensely sad and depersonalized and convinced that it would take months for me to return to normal.

Fortunately I took a Benadryl and woke up right as rain, but that was a terrible thing to endure.

Whenever I have had a bad trip, I have come out of it as a different person for better or worse. I have had awful times but all the good times I have truly learned about myself make up for it. In fact, I am kind of grateful for the bad trips because I learned the most out of those experiences.
Keep tripping you guys, even you encounter the dark. :)

Three bad trips. Several good ones before that - I never learnt anything super valuable (well, except I now find it way more enjoyable and am way more motivated to eat healthily, that's great), but I had a huge amount of fun and that was valuable in itself.

First bad trip entirely my fault. I was dumb, and complacent with how I'd handled LSD well in the past. Took a three hour train to see a friend, turned out he had some LSD. I never knew he was that into drugs so I didn't believe him, took some anyway because what's the worst that can happen, I'll just swallow a bit of paper. Didn't work... Two more tabs down.

Kicked in an hour later, definitely LSD. He tried to kiss me, I freaked the fuck out, called a cab driver impulsively and went to the train station still tripping incredibly hard (for me), which in such a small town didn't open for an hour. Bought a ticket, the ticket lady knew I was acting weirdly. Not just me being paranoid, she rolled her eyes and made the 'crazy' hand gesture at her colleague, I started crying from how much that hurt at the time. Navigated a three hour train journey with two changes of stations which was stressful 'cause I couldn't understand it, I was exhausted from thought loops, still tripping and I was sure everyone knew I was on something. Got home. Went to sleep.

I think that ruined LSD for me, my next two trips had good set and setting but ended up just plain bad, intense thought loops and paranoia and feeling intensely suicidal. One trip lasted far longer than I thought it would and I couldn't get to sleep, googled "am I permenantly damaged from LSD?", it pulled up a tonne of stories about people who were. Eventually got to sleep. I'm completely fine now.

I've had really good experiences on 2c-b since. I'll probably never do LSD again, but careful and gentle exploration of other psychedelics hasn't been ruled out.

Yes, I was at a bush party, with very intense psy-trance music. I'd dropped an MDA pill (not a pure psych but hey) and the come up made me very anxious. We walked down to the stage while still coming up and because i'm not a psy trance fan I found the music hard to get into. I stood back from the stage to soak everything in. A kid in front of me was on *something* interesting because he was dancing like he was having a seizure and kept moving closer and closer to me even when I shuffled away. So I went to go sit down. I had this vague, ambivalent feeling, and a couple people came up to me and asked if I was ok. I wasn't in danger or anything and found the question a little annoying - I thought that just because I wasn't having a good time in that moment didn't mean something was necessarily wrong. I wanted to be left alone.

I realized I lost my friends which was ok because it wasn't to far from our campsite so I figured I'd walk back. I got caught in both a thought loop and an actual loop where I circled the same set of trees three or four times. I grew increasingly anxious. I found my way back to the camp and sat down to pack a bong. I was actually happy to be alone even though people were all around me, dancing, laughing, talking, and so on. Some time passed and my mates came back and a couple of people came to chill at our camp and I remember being like a mute statue - I got an intense rush of social anxiety and felt afraid to speak (I know, not classic MDxx effects but it happens sometimes) and I remember shortly after midnight deciding to go into the tent and lie down and get away from the noise and people and lights. In the tent I started having quasi-psychotic like thoughts, that the people outside were talking about me, calling me weird, and skinny, and strange, and they were laughing about me. Luckily I got to sleep eventually and woke up dazed but otherwise happy to be out of the anxious, dysphoric place I was in.

It's the worst drug experience i've had and it altered me for a good two years. I was insecure and socially anxious even more than my normal self and faced all sorts of problems largely due to being terrified of people. Ironically it took an amazing MDMA trip to bring me back to reality again and change my life for the better.

There was this one time I drank two 5g Psilocybin mushroom teas, approx. spaced 1h apart. Some time later, smoked a cigarette while chilling on the couch.
At maybe the 2 or 3 hour mark, lying in my bed for some reason, I wondered if I had put out the cigarette in the ashtray, or that maybe it fell on the couch.
I was instantly caught in a tought loop of how the couch could catch fire, then the house, me dying in the fire, leaving my wife, kids, parents, friends etc behind, just because of the cigarette.
For IDK-how-long (it seemed like hours), tossing and turning and curling up in my bed, I did not manage to get out and just go look at the couch.
It could very much be that these perceived hours were merley seconds, that my thoughts had slowed down immenesly (I never took the opportunity to check the time), but I eventually got out of bed and checked the couch. Realising that there was nothing wrong with the couch/cigarette thing, I quickly got back to a positive state of mind and rode the rest of the trip out, trying to figure out what happened.

That must have been the most difficult experience I ever had doing psychedelics. That, and other reasons, is why I rarely want to trip without a sitter anymore, especially when I do high doses. A good lesson was learned that day.

On the other hand, I once had a very odd physical reaction doing a 2g psilocybin mushrooms / 2CB combo.
Was at a party, ate the shrooms about 2 hours ago and still did not have anything happening at all from them, while I knew they were good shrooms.
A friend gave me a capsule with, to my best guesstimate, 20mg 2CB. I dosed, sat aside for a while and about half an hour later my stomach didn't feel so well so I headed for the toilets, thinking I might puke.
Waiting in queue, I suddenly went through my knees and couldn't get up anymore. At first I felt a little anxious being unable to move and had some difficulty talking. My wife got to me, very upset, and the only thing I could say to her to calm her down was "It's okay, I'm not gonna die", but in fact I had no idea what was going on with me.
I was dragged away by some people and put on a chair. I was able to stand up after a couple of minutes, only to collapse again after another minute. I was again helped up and moved closer to the exit for some fresh air. I got up again and felt completely sober. At that moment I found that what just happened was "pretty cool" (those were my own words)
After another hour, gotten really dissapointed I had no effects whatsoever, we drove home. The whole time I had no visuals, no headspace, no noticeable body load. To this day, I still have no idea what the hell happened and why I didn't get anything from the shrooms, nor the 2CB.
Any thoughts shared on this, would be greatly appreciated.