• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] Have You Ever Had a Bad Trip?

Have you ever had a bad trip?

• Yes I have.

Votes: 346 49.4%
  • No I have never.

Votes: 150 21.4%
  • No but I have had [b]difficult[/b] trips.

Votes: 195 27.9%
  • I never have and am confident I never will.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other / Not sure (post alternative answer!)

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
My "bad" trips I should more call difficult trips. I value them. I have an issue with calling things like trips bad.

you mean 1.5 milligrams LSD? 0.o

Over ten hits of LSD liquid. (1500ug) Which is 1.5 milligrams.
I paid him money, he squirted more than he should in my mouth. I could actually taste it. And was peaking in less than 20 minutes. Tripped for 32 hours. Calm and content, just got boring and at one point I though 'Man what if I don't stop tripping?' Then I tell myself everything is fine.

It seems like you're just guessing that you took 1500 mics based on absolutely nothing. You got it from some guy who said one drop contained 150mcg, he then "squirted more than he should" in your mouth, which you equal to ten doses, and then go on to conclude you must've had 1500 micrograms of acid? And that you were calm and content and it got boring at a certain point? I would very, very much doubt that.

And if you could taste the acid: what did it taste like? How was it anything else in that liquid? Like... literally ANY thing?

From my - admittedly limited - perspective it looks you're proud of your ability to endure large quantities (sometimes also referred to as dicksizing) and are heading towards a point at which you hit a (breathing, pulsating and multi colored) brick wall very hard, when you overdo it one time. Just be cautious out there.

I've had three bad (hospitalization bad) trips. Seeing and feeling yourself dying a million ways a second or being brought back to repressed childhood abuse cannot be construed as a healthy learning experience. In the interest of harm reduction I suggest that you don't push the envelope with acid. It can take you to horrible places.

^^^^^^

And that is the LSD's 'fault' and not your haphazard use of psychedelics combined with the abuse you suffered as a child? Not trying to be unconstructive at all, just food for thought. Many people 'push the envelope' with LSD....it was pretty common thing to do in the 60s before LSD was illegal (acid tests) and is still common in the 'Family' circle of things. The dangers you ran into, and horrible places, are your life experience. I know of no way to say that without saying it. If I were with you in person I'd give you a big hug and offer any support you may need.

Either way, I agree with manboychef...know your limits, know that LSD should not be taken haphazardly without a healthy appreciation for psychology (or a good guide). Psychedelics are no joke and it's really nothing short of sad they became 'dangerous illegal drugs' forcing most people to be introduced to them in the opposite of ideal circumstances.

PS this would be a great point to bring up that psychedelics INCLUDING LSD and ibogaine (everyone can agree ibogaine is widely considered very 'hard core' even though I found it gentle and loving) are being use RIGHT NOW in USA and other places to treat (among other things) PTSD associated with war and rape. Bringing back repressed childhood memories (in a constructive environment) is EXACTLY what they are good at. The idea that a trip should be all roses and rainbows is where everything has gone wrong.

Manboychef is right (for a second time)....don't push the envelope with any psychedelic unless you are prepared to deal with your own darkest places.

I have extensive experience with psychedelics including LSD, peyote, psilocybin mushrooms, Salvia Divinorum, 2C-E, aMT, 4-HO-MET, 4-HO-MiPT, 5-MeO-DALT, and 5-MeO-MiPT.
I have had mostly positive experiences. Once after having had at least 100 great trips on LSD, I heard about an acquaintance who'd had a traumatic experience. I was thinking about this, while coming on to a substantial dose of LSD, wondering what bad trips were like. In that moment I looked into the mirror and saw my face contort into a hideous mask, and enter into a state of madness that lasted for some months. I remember the trees crying and losing the ability to perceive color for over a week. I'd hear my parents in the other room talking about how insane I'd become, and discussing the immanent arrival of men in white coats to take me away. I'd rush into the room planning on confronting them, only to find them quietly watching TV.
I knew I was crazy and felt my only way back to sanity was to continue taking the acid until I made it out to the other side.
I wish everyone the best and hope you'll play safely. I must warn you not to be too curious. Our curiosity calls experience as do set and setting. The love, beauty, and even mystical knowledge are worthy experiences these powerful substances can open us to. But the darkness and madness are terrifying and ugly worlds best avoided.

I want to add something to this conversation although I feel a large majority has been answered, or has it? I think every factor that determines a "good trip" verses a "difficult trip" varies from person to person depending upon events that have happened in their life. From my experiences I've found that people that have never experienced a difficult trip have never fully unlocked the true potential of a psychedelic because you have never faced your inner fear.

Once I faced my inner fear, it helped me realize what I need to do in life to combat it. I also realized what can cause a trip to become difficult or how to stop negative delusional thoughts coursing through my mind. I can only speak for myself, although I'm sure someone can relate to this.

I've never had a bad trip. The worst was when I started over heating on the come-up of a 2C-P / 2C-T-2 combination... that trip was so long. Much Biosphere (substrata) was played. It was an awesome trip... very bad comeup (couldn't stop moving, had to go outside, felt like my mind was being blown to bits, felt physically hot with a fever)

I want to add something to this conversation although I feel a large majority has been answered, or has it? I think every factor that determines a "good trip" verses a "difficult trip" varies from person to person depending upon events that have happened in their life. From my experiences I've found that people that have never experienced a difficult trip have never fully unlocked the true potential of a psychedelic because you have never faced your inner fear.

Once I faced my inner fear, it helped me realize what I need to do in life to combat it. I also realized what can cause a trip to become difficult or how to stop negative delusional thoughts coursing through my mind. I can only speak for myself, although I'm sure someone can relate to this.

Interesting... my inner fear is a loss of control of what I'm experiencing. A loss of control of my reality. When I'm on 2C-P it starts affecting my movement, making me constantly fidget and tap and such, and while I'm getting lost in this a slow blast sneaks up on me. For a second my vision and hearing feel like they go in the void and I feel like I lose EVERYTHING and also occassionally panic/scream sometimes when it happens as well. Not a long lasting panic, just a brief flash of fear.

Would something like a constant feeling of this be what you're describing? I love 2C-P for this but I don't know how I could handle that feeling too strongly. I heard 4-HO-DiPT and 5-MeO-DMT cause "vibrations"... is that similar to what I'm describing... does a huge dose suck you into a world of complete loss constantly? I love vibrations...

2C-P is cool but Im ready for some good tryptamines.

Last edited:
If you have to think that deeply into finding the inner truth then you're going the wrong direction. Although I can't speak for anyone but myself.

I have had some uncomfortable trips and some difficult trips but would never refer to them as "bad" , as I learnt just as much from them as I did the comfortable trips, maybe more.
Good and bad vary widely between different perceptions, and for this reason some people will think that their experience was "bad" because it wasnt what they expected or it shown them things they didn't want to see.

I reckon that if a substance is showing you something then you are more than ready to process it.

What mysticmusic said previously about continuing taking something till you reach the other side of a difficult section of experience is extremely good advice. In my teens I came across a period where every time I smoked pot I would have major anxiety up to the level of social paralysis.(very scary, where you are so worried about what to say, that you literally freeze and cannot move)
I found that not smoking didn't work so I just kept at it till I became completely normal. I think I had something subconscious to work out.

I did not take the lsd in a haphazard way. Reliable source,small dose to start, and surrounded by friends.I believe the OCD i was diagnosed with after the third trip and my inability to face those feelings previously may have had something to do with it. I thought quite a bit about this thread last night and I realized that those bad trips were very helpful. They brought me to a place that I could confront those feelings and later confront my dad and step mom. Morning glory seed is right. In retrospect psyches are a great tool to bring traumatic events to a place they can be talked about, just have to be prepared to relive those events. I think they can be an amazing clinical tool in the right hands. I am a much stronger person for it.

Last edited:
Don't feel like you're immune to bad trips, they strike when you least expect it. I personally have never had a bad trip, but I've come close. If I feel like I'm starting to have a bad trip, I just clear my mind, breath slowly, and remember that I'm on a powerful drug. You gotta be careful, if you let your guard down, that bad trip is gonna sneak up on you.

Don't feel like you're immune to bad trips, they strike when you least expect it. I personally have never had a bad trip, but I've come close. If I feel like I'm starting to have a bad trip, I just clear my mind, breath slowly, and remember that I'm on a powerful drug. You gotta be careful, if you let your guard down, that bad trip is gonna sneak up on you.

Can something so unknown and powerful be controlled? And I know exactly what you mean about no one being immune. Saw the most together dude get down on all fours, growl, then bite my friends girlfriends leg till he drew blood. Satisfied with that he jumped up onto the back of the couch and started furiously stroking his limp dick. I can only tell you that the force and speed he was doing it looked like he would tear his shaft out by the head. We shot him with morphine (much harder to do than said) and forced a Xanax bar down his throat. He was better in a few hours if not used up and embarrassed.

Last edited:
^Well that's something oO

I had a 'bad' trip on aMT about a month ago, but I'm not sure I would call it like that in retrospect. Felt extremely suicidal for about 7-8 hours and like I was a horrible person who doesn't deserve to live etc. Really got quite close to doing something about it but I was lucky to have a couple great friends there to talk me through it. Oh also my whole body felt like it was about to snap and I felt like my head was trapped in a box. In the next week or so I felt empty and devoid of any kind of emotion. It was really quite terrifying at the time but now I do think it brought out a lot of things that I was shutting out and actually did need to deal with - and probably wouldn't have (or not yet) if I hadn't had that 'bad' trip. Hence why it's a bit of a misnomer. It can be very scary sometimes but I don't think a psych experience can ever really be bad. Always helps in some way or another if you try hard enough :)

See when you assume (as I did), I make an ass out of me and me. Didn't mean to assume you took it 'haphazardly.' I really use that to reference how much of us turn on to psychedelics because our friends hand us a hit and we have no further reference at the time. That's not how or why I turned on, and maybe not for you either. I suppose your words became a convenient means for me to make a point....even if I made further assumptions about them. Forgive me.

You must be a strong person to have one of those trips that wound you up in the hospital and you went back for two more!

All the best to you!

MGS

I did not take the lsd in a haphazard way. Reliable source,small dose to start, and surrounded by friends.I believe the OCD i was diagnosed with after the third trip and my inability to face those feelings previously may have had something to do with it.

No harm no foul. You are actually one of the wiser folks about hallucinogens I have met. I wonder if there is a correlation between OCD and bad trips. Also one hit I think was DOC. There was a marked stimulant quality...and as it is, maybe I'm not so smart because I went on to smoke saliva and dent.

I generally have pretty good trips. Unless im in a bad set/setting I pretty much have a good trip, awesome actually most of the time. That being said, I did have one trip where I became worried that I was going nuts and obviously had a pretty bad time for a while. However, it was probably one of the more enlightening experiences I have had even though it was one of the most worrisome and disturbing experiences I have had in my life

Got a difficult trip for ya. Took 7 1/2 hits of family fluff, some bull shit going around (still trip'n sack) and deiced to go downtown with a friend of mine. My friend ended up losing his phone somewhere along the line and had no idea what happened. Of course this had to happen while we're both downtown tripping or heads out. So we began by first collecting our thoughts, then going around the block, and around, and around, around, around…. Realized we were just going in circles so we decided to track his phone via my phone. (this is where is gets funny)

So while all of this craziness is going on, which is honestly just a mere downtown scene on acid, we get a hit marker on where his phone is at. So we started following the dot, (now at this point my friend took my phone from me and is being very violent and won't give it back) as we are ""pursing"" the person who stole it. We went through many alleys and around blocks and eventually I told him that there was no hope, I went to grab my phone and he gabbed me right under my jaw and said "I'M GONNA FIND THE FUCKER WHO TOOK MY PHONE!!" At this point I just think he is crazy and there is no hope in finding his phone. Now this whole time we both thought some homeless lady took his phone, but we were both tripping so hard we were like.. no way, couldn't be possible.. Turns out this fucking homeless lady had his phone and he ended up giving her 20$ cash for her stealing it.. well it was a fun trip. Oh don't mention how fucking hard it was to find my car.