• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] Have You Ever Had a Bad Trip?

Have you ever had a bad trip?

• Yes I have.

Votes: 346 49.4%
  • No I have never.

Votes: 150 21.4%
  • No but I have had [b]difficult[/b] trips.

Votes: 195 27.9%
  • I never have and am confident I never will.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other / Not sure (post alternative answer!)

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters

Krowsnose

Bluelighter
The most recent OP from a merged thread:

I'm curious. I read, and hear a lot about people having 'bad trips'. Anyone else out there who has done a lot of psychedelic drugs and never experienced a bad trip?
If so what is your usage history?

Personally, I've done DMT the most. I started using Psychedelics when I turned 18 almost 2 years ago. Turning 20 in July.
Psilocybin - 28 times.
DMT - ~100 times. (Estimate, but more than 8 grams.)
LSD - 3 times. (Went too far last time I used LSD. Dumbass kid dosed me with ~1.5mg.)
Ayahuasca - 2 times.
25I-NBOMe and 25C-NBOMe - 4 times.
Unknown DOx compound once.

Anyway, they say its about set and setting. And honestly I've done em all in weird settings. Even with people I just met. No problems. Which surprises me because I have really bad anxiety.
Just trying to get an insight and find out if other people just are I guess 'immune' to bad trips.

[original post:]

Post anything related to your experiences with bad trips.

I don't think I've ever had an extreme, terrifying bad trip but rather a bunch of dark and not too fun experiences.

Perhaps the most spiritually negative experience I've ever had was with acid my first time. Things were amazing for the first 4 hours, however once my friends went to sleep I was left by myself alone in some nasty trailer park. The first thing that set me off was watching my friend's body decompose as he slept on the couch. After that I had a constant stream of negative images and convinced myself I was in hell. I was paranoid about everything in the house and would be plagued by very negative sensations if I sat in one place too long so I went out to get some fresh air. The only way I could describe the outside was purgatory, not as bad as the house but still a lurking feeling of doom wherever I went. I'd look to the ground and see bugs crawling all around, real or imagined I don't know. I remember going over to look at some dogs in some small enclosure. They looked up like me like they too were being tortured by this force which was pretty sad. Guess those were the consequences of a good mindset going in but a bad setting.

My last trip on 2c-b was also much less than good. I tripped with my roommate the day after winter break back at the dorms. He was getting on my nerves that day so I just couldn't be comfortable tripping around him. That and the fact classes were starting the next day made it pretty shitty. This trip wasn't frightening at all, I just had some anger and anxiety issues going on the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can never say I have had a bad trip. I have had terrible and difficult experiences, but I always walked away knowing more about myself. Bad trips happen for a reason, and I always try and figure out that reason. There are no bad trips, only learning experiences.

^ i am in complete agreeance with the above poster. this is what i would tell any first-time tripper that asks about bad trips.

Thats all good and well and quite easy to say once you sober up and start forgetting some of the sheer horror that the psychedelic experience can produce, but its hollow and condescending when you get down to it. Yes, there are bad trips. You can glorify it all you want, but watching everything you know and love die is by most people considered "bad" and rightfully so. Even if you disagree with that, thats of little consolation during the trip.

^^ Sure... it's a bad trip. It's going to be terrifying. The point is, though, that if you keep a good attitude about it afterwards, it doesn't have to become the happiness-destroying problem that some people turn it into. I think you do yourself an injustice to think about bad trips that way... it just opens the door to allowing yourself to feel like the experience can leave a lasting negative imprint on you. I've had a number of trips where I was sure I would never make it back, where I seriously contemplated killing myself so I could end it (thinking I would be lost forever or I could die physically and still be a part of the natural order of things). I wouldn't have the balls to knowingly repeat such experiences. During them, I had all sorts of horrible thoughts and felt sure I would be ruined forever. However, I am thankful for all of them now, in retrospect. And that's the most important part. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But had I come out of them with the attitude of "I had a bad trip, oh no", I might have thought myself into a really dark place rather than turned it into something positive.

Last edited:
Sometimes a bad trip is exactly what you need to force you to confront issues you've been avoiding. Sometimes tripping can be like a sparring session; you can get a little beat up and it might hurt your pride a bit. But you're certainly better off for it.

The point is, though, that if you keep a good attitude about it afterwards, it doesn't have to become the happiness-destroying problem that some people turn it into.

Oh, I agree with that, sure. I'm just saying that the "There is no bad trip" idea is nonsense. Its not dealing with it afterwards thats the issue, but dealing with it during.

Agreed, Roger+me. I would not deny bad trips, but their are situations where things are challenging. Like when you are shown things about yourself that you would rather not know. The trick there, is to 'go with the flow' (Sorry- what a cliché) and learn from the insight. You cannot sometimes direct your thoughts, and it is about learning the whole picture of yourself, not necessarily just the bits you like about yourself. I haven't had a bad trip (to my mind) so much as challenging moments where I had to come to terms with what was in my mind. Lord knows it wasn't going away unless I did so.
There is a great satisfaction to be gained by staring the ugy stuff in the face. You're always going to come down in a while when the deeper significance of what you have experienced begins to formulate.
Of course there are people who will just have a bad time anyway, full stop.
Take care - All the best - PippUK

The only trips that seriously go bad are ones in which the person starts doing harm to themselves or to others aroud them. There is simply nothing of use to gain out of this, and the only thing to do at that point is convince (or trick) the tripper into taking Seroquel or Thorazine.

ps. There was a thread about this a year or so ago... I can't find it though. If other mods know, please merge them.

The people who claim "There is no bad trip" have never had a bad trip. I've had rough experiences, I've had hard times, I've had trips where I was forced to confront issues that I didn't want to confront at the time. And those trips hurt, but I learned from each of them.

That's not a bad trip. A bad trip is when you lose your mind, and issues mean nothing to you. The only thing you feel is fear and paranoia. Skeletons are rattling chains at your door, ready to send you to some sort of eternal punishment for sins that you didn't even know you committed. Walls bleed, your mind begins to fracture, and you hear voices begin to tell you things that aren't really coming from your own mind. Then, at the end of it all, you try to look back on it all with a positive light, because you've heard things like "Every trip is a learning experience, and there is truth in every trip." So things that before the trip seemed insane, ideas that are in fact the beginnings of paranoid schizophrenia, begin to seem like they might have root in fact.

That's a bad trip.

My only experience with a bad trip is when my SO would way over indulge. I would be on 2 hits and he and his buddies would be on like 10 or 12. I would totally be worried about them the whole time. To top that off they would drink mad amounts of Wild Turkey, then go off to be alone. I would follow him asking are u ok.... of course I was probably causing him a bad trip in retrospect.

Oh yeah having sex while tripping wasn't the best idea at the time. Kinda awkward. IME.

sorta glad someone started this

I have been ranting about this in other threads.. yet still havent written a report :\ I swear I will soon... I have personally had 3 "bad" trips... where there was intense fear/paranoia.. and I just wanted to never touch a psychoactive again.. then I proceeded to learn from them!! that was great ;) But what happened about 15 days ago was not so great.. my buddy who was pretty experienced took about 300 mics of LSD, 1 foot of bridgessii and 2.5g of syrian rue... AT A PARTY !!! I dont know what he was thinking but of course it went bad.. not like oh no!! bad.. but like putting horror movie screams and shrills to shame because I actually witnessed him bust through the front door run across the street and scream bloody murder over and over.. OH MY GOD !! I"M FUCKING DEAD !! we dragged him inside.. into the bathroom.. where he rode out the plateau of the trip.. screaming, kicking, biting, destroying the entire bathroom.. (will post pictures with trip report) meanwhile I'm on 100mics and 150mg of molly (thank goodness) and my hero/trip mate/brotha of love) was on 200mics and 2.5 feet of bridgessii... and we just forcefully held him to the ground... and I mean FORCEFULLY because he continued to get away from us and we had to just grab him with all our might and yank him back to the floor.... if he would have escaped... well.. you probably would have heard about it on the news.. or at least I would have posted the local article up.. :|

We literally watched my friend die that night.. thankfully it was only in his mind. Problem being we gave him 2mg of xanax (only helped for 45 min) and he cant remember anything... :p

be careful with high doses.. I know alot of you do them alone which is great for not having others cause bad/weird vibes.. but what if you end up in the streets running wild ?? then what ?? :(

trip report soon.. seriously everyone needs to read it.. because there was about 30 people there from all walks of the earth that have never seen anything so terrifying.. BE FUCKING CAREFUL with maoi's.. please :!

I spent an hour handcuffed to a bench in a police station about an hour after eating 2 high dose blotters. The trip honestly wasn't that bad though. I got arrested for a mere 2 grams of weed :\ but as soon as I got out my friends were waiting in the car outside and we drove back to friends house where he had 3g of ketamine waiting =D now THATS when the trip really started.

I would think that getting arrested or seeing someone die while tripping would definitely lead to a negative experience.

Everytime I'm on LSD (and most psychs besides MDMA) and I am outside roaming or being driven around, that's the main fear going through my head ("please don't let us get pulled over and arrested, please don't let us get pulled over and arrested").

yea i have had bad trips that i can only describe as horrifying, paranoid nightmares.
but i do believe they happen for a reason and in hindsight consider them extremely valuable.

psilocybonaut said:
I would think that getting arrested or seeing someone die while tripping would definitely lead to a negative experience.

And you are correct, I have been arrested while on Mushrooms....talk about the worst phone call to your parents to come get you out of jail.

And you are correct, I have been arrested while on Mushrooms....talk about the worst phone call to your parents to come get you out of jail.
Tripping in jail would suck... A bunch of grimy convicts around giving you negative vibes.... :( And if they find out you're tripping they might try to fuck with you. Would be fucking terrible. I feel sorry for anyone who has had to go through that.

psilocybonaut said:
The cop was actually pretty cool, he could've held me overnight but he let me go in about an hour. He didn't know I was tripping or anything. And there were no "grimy convicts" around lol, like I said I was handcuffed to a bench in a room by myself watching the cops face morph ;). He started asking me some questions but after he asked me about my dad and I told him my dad was dead he shut up =D
GratefulFloyd said:
Well I wasn't a minor at the time, so I didn't have to call anyone. And my mom still hasn't found out, I went to court by myself and did my community service by myself and everything's all good :)

have you ever had a bad trip

so i did lsd for the first time and it was fun, up until my friend lost his mind. form the begining it starts as .... there were nine people including me that were tripping. five of us took two hits of pretty good acid and some took only one. we travelled along the catalina mountian side and mak eour way back to the house in about 6 hours. we split up and got to the desatination at different points in time. when we all manage to gather at the house my friend starts to get fixated on a thought. it was an obsesion with water. he starts forcing water on to people some take it and drink but that is not enough for him. he starts get more and more agressive with his selling of the water to people. eventually it gets to the point that no body wants to drink the water and they start to tell him that they have enough. after that he turns completely violent and trys to break two of the other peoples neck. they both leave. i walk outside and find 7 of the 9 hiding in the a tent that we set up in the yard. they are conversing about how to take care of the person who just attacked to people. some want to beat him with a flashlight. others tell them that its a bad idea. so we come to the conclusion of calling the police. we stick that and we split up. when we all get out of the tent my friend is outside and on his back spasming out and rambling at the same time. lets just say that the situation with got so intense that i ran into my house and he chased me to try to do something and i jumped out of a 12 foot high window barefoot. after that we walked down to find one of the cops that i knew and told him to go to my house. we told him that we were on lsd and he said that he take care of it. he sent another cop up to the house and when he got there he found the friend who was losing it and myh friend decided to attack the cop. the cop restrained ,my friend and took to the hospital. after that they releaseed my friend from the hospital with an assualt on an officer and sain that he was drunk. my friend doesnt remember any the things that he did. and he doesnt know that he lost control of himself at any point in time. i want to know what any body that reads thinks about that mental state of being of myh friend and how lsd had any influence on his mental health or if he has underlying deep mental issues.

well lsd does put you into a constant "fight or flight" state, so maybe he simply chose the latter, heh. but I tend to think people who get violent on psychs - though ive never encountered/heard of one - are freaks to begin with. you dont just lose something as powerful as a connection with your fellow humanity because of acid.