• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Bad Trip Subthread] Have You Ever Had a Bad Trip?

Have you ever had a bad trip?

• Yes I have.

Votes: 346 49.4%
  • No I have never.

Votes: 150 21.4%
  • No but I have had [b]difficult[/b] trips.

Votes: 195 27.9%
  • I never have and am confident I never will.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other / Not sure (post alternative answer!)

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
Bad trip is not from the outside but from within. I am certain you have never had a panic attack, but mine was like a panic attack that lasted 10x longer and was 10x more intense. It's not something I'd wish upon anyone, but the full experience can't be contrived. I've been in the creepiest place ever and I didn't have any issues...I think it is rooted false beliefs like I am going to go crazy and believing it, and also in young people who haven't formed an identity, and therefore don't know who they are. Not knowing your not crazy, and thinking I could go crazy forever, can send one into panic and like runaway feedback, the panic makes you believe more and more that it is actually happening.

I don't know that last statement. There are more healthy ways to address irrational fears or depression, but you are correct that you can't hide behind the front when your on LSD, and it can be therapeutic. Remember your friends were there to talk you through it, if they weren't you may have done something you really regretted. Teens have little control over themselves or their world, and in that LSD can overwhelm some to the point that it is no longer constructive but destructive.

2 stories:

I have had several bad mushroom trips. Pretty much every bad trip I have ever had, however, was induced by too much THC. Cannabis seems to make a mushroom trip grow exponentially in intensity. The first true bad trip I had was when I smoked 2 blunts filled with keif (I sold a ton of weed at the time and would safe keif for tripping) on the comeup of an 3.5g mushroom trip. It was chill outside for a bit then someone's dog started viciously barking at us and it appeared like 'fluffy' from hairy potter. We made it back inside and then its all a fog from there. We put on a funny movie, and the last thing I remember is laughing very hard and not being able to stop. It seemed to get worse (if that seems possible) and I couldn't stop twitching/making noises. I didn't have any clue what was happening but I remember feeling my girlfriend squeeze me tighter and that REALLY worried me because I thought she was trying to fix something about how I was behaving. Then I remember saying "why can't I think" and I kept saying it. Then came "I have no idea who I am". They couldn't convince me that I knew who I was or that I even knew who they were! Imagine not recognizing anyone? I remember jumping up and trying to defend myself in the corner from my friends who were just trying to help me. They kept having to tell me who they were and I still had no idea. Since then I have had very bad social anxiety.

Another terrible experience was tripping with my friend who was 18 at the time. We had a great first 2 hours in the woods after eating about 2.2 g's each of mushies. We went back home and decided some bong hits were a good idea, even though we were still tripping balls. I did not account for my friend's low weed tolerance before offering him some. We each took about four rips of some dank and walked back outside. This time we were on the sidewalk and much more in public. We got down to the river and sat by the rocks. All of a sudden he starts saying things like "we are too fucked up to be out here man". Then "I just wanna go home..." and as he said home his eyes rolled back into his head and he fell face first. He is about 230 pounds and I am 150, so I had to do everything I could to not let him destroy his face on the rocks. I got him up and he kept falling on his face as we walked. We got lost and eventually made it home but it was a terrible experience. He cried for the rest of the trip as soon as we got home.

P. S. I don't think there is such thing as a bad cactus trip. I don't use mushrooms any more because there is too much risk/costs involved relative to cactus.

I've had difficult and terrifying trips, but I don't consider any of them bad, they were just challenging, even if during them I experienced a tremendous amount of fear and distress, and even in one case I contemplated killing myself because I believed I was about to cease to exist entirely but if I killed myself to stop the trip I would still exist. I saw them in retrospect as fascinating experiences that showed me some truths and were important for me to have. Even right afterwards I was so happy to have survived and come down that I was euphoric immediately and felt great the next day.

I've also had trips that were just uncomfortable all the way through, and kind of jarring, but none of them had any lasting negative impact on me. When I think of the term "bad trip" I think of the trip that causes a lasting negative impact, whereas a "difficult trip" is one that was unpleasant to experience but doesn't leave any lasting negative impact.

My one and only mushroom trip when i was young and just started to experiment with drugs was a bad trip.

The problem was that i wasnt able to comprehend that it's actually possible to see things moving, melting...oevs and cevs.

This was just too much for me.

And one time i had an awesome DOM trip but got paranoid afterwards.

Thank you for your cautionary tale & your friend is blessed to have you take care of him as best as could be...tough one bro! Mixing harmala/Syrian Rue or MAOi's with entheos is very intrepid deal. I am amazed that people treat Salvia with often little respect, then are surprised one hit, especially as Salvanorin Alpha is more/as potent as LSD. As Terence once said, "respect the plant, & don't give the gov't a bunch of causalities to cluck over"....Well, know it's being slowly shut down in places when it was not scheduled & couldn't be. It's still legal to possess, do in Canada after head shops must stop selling this month. Stocked up. :!

Until recently I had not experienced what would be called a bad trip. In fact I actually doubted whether anyone had ever had a bad trip because of personal experience. However a month or so ago I smoked dmt and had an unpleasant trip. The thing that struck me most was the fact that as time went on my memory of the trip has morphed, initially after the trip I spoke to friends telling them of my experience and although it wasn't pleasant it wasn't a completely intolerable thing. When I think back now my mind has made it into something much worse than it probably was. I think this is the case with a lot of trips as time goes on your mind changes what really happened. I've now started to write down my experience directly after the trip so I can properly reflect on them at a later date. Doing this helps you to understand the kind of surroundings and emotions you were feeling at the time so you don't become scared of the specific drug. LSD gives me ups and downs throughout, it is a complete experience which makes use of all your emotions, for this reason I don't like the term bad trip, the trip is dependant on too many variables and I believe you get the trip you need not the one you want.

Thank you for your cautionary tale & your friend is blessed to have you take care of him as best as could be...tough one bro! Mixing harmala/Syrian Rue or MAOi's with entheos is very intrepid deal. :!

You are suggesting that Rue will increase the probability of a good trip? Very interesting. I have tried rue only by itself and I find it quite enjoyable, almost like a watered down Xanny. Also, is rue the best naturally occurring MAOI for a trip complement? Thanks for the input man

One time about an hour into a 3 gram mushroom trip, I yawned, and felt like a dragon breathing fire. I knew it was coming on strong, and fast. I turned to my friend and said here we go! I was in a backyard with another friend who was tripping and 2 who weren't. I could see the entire back yard shrink down into my vision, it was a 35 yd long and I could see the entire thing directly in front of me. One of the friends who wasn't tripping was playing a video about UFO's on youtube. Not really sure why. I was also leaving for basic training in two days, for the air force. This friend started talking to me about going into the air force and why i was doing it. I think at this point I must've started questioning things. I went into a complete ego dissolution and couldn't even remember that I took mushrooms. I was in a spinning vortex which felt like I was spinning around in the middle as the world was spinning around me at the same time. I was stuck in a dream I could not wake myself up from. It was also like I was blacked out from my trip for a good bit. I had my head down most of this part of the trip, but I would pick my head up and look around at everyone, and just say "what the fuck..." This loop happened for what felt like at least 80 times, even though it was probably only a 3-5. one of the times I got up from my seat and walked around the table sayin "what is going on?!?!" There were a few more people that came over by this time, I think my friends girl friend and her friend. They were all smoking and talking/laughing, but I couldn't understand what they were saying. It sounded like a different language. The funny thing is I remember laughing with them, not sure if it was because they sounded funny or what xD. Definitely the hardest I've tripped. The come up was so great, then the external stimuli of my friend talking about me leaving for the air force must've made me block everything out. after I finally started coming down it got much more enjoyable and my best friend and I talked about God and went through some old junk tlaking about memories. I was still mind fucked by what just happened.

The weirdest part was, I went to sleep that night and had no issues. The next night, I went to bed at my hotel that was booked by the Air force, and had to wake up at 4 am to prepare to ship off to basic training. That morning, I woke up right back in the peak of my trip. Stuck in the vortex. This lasted maybe 10 mins or so. It was crazy. I haven't tripped that hard since. I would like to go back to that intensity but have a good trip, or at least one that doesn't leave me basically blacked out to whats going on around me.

If its a trip of the non-dissociative kind I can get stuck into a loop of bad thoughts but based or about nothing, time doesnt move etc it all feels apocalyptic til you realise the whole thing was nothing more than elborate smoke and mirrors games you play with yourself subconsciously.

My worst trips tend to be from things gone wrong though. jwh18 consumed as methylone (yes i have learned before anyone mentions i need to stay safe!)

The world was ending. literally. and it was my fault. 7 hours later i reaslise im kneeling in the middle of the room, got lost on my way to get water when it took its wrath out on me. Also if you eat far too much weed is horrible. I put an 8th into a cake of gold seal due to the weak product at the time but that was a mistake

Last edited:
On around 28mg of 4-aco-dmt my gilfriend became violently ill, we were camping and there was no one around for a good 30 yards. Well during the time when she was getting sickbin the bathrooms and a man who did not come from any of the camps I could see directly started making a b-line for us. After reaching the bathrooms the man never entered. I did not notice this as I was so caught up in trying to appear sober. It was about 10pm and we were coming up fucking hard. Instead of walking on the direction in which he came to tue bathrooms this dude creeped around our campsite for 30 minutes literally hiding behind trees and peaking his head out. Knowing there to be a lot of drunks and homeless people around that lake this was intimidating. I decided to call for help, the issue being we were at a huge public lake and I had no idea how to describe how to get to our campsite. In the process of trying to help my girlfriend I misplaced the car keys. The man then made some strange sounds and continued to watch us from around 20 feet away at the beach. We retreated to the car which is where I realized I didn't have the keys. Sitting there with the windows down kniwing I couldnt roll them up to lock us in was intimidating. I evebtually saw my friends car probably a wuarter mike away. Not tripping I couldn't have told him how to get to us with all the weird paths around the lake. I told Jacy ti wait in the car and I would walk to his car then back to the canpsite where we could find all our stuff and get the fuck out of there. On the way over to the car it was so hsrd to keep track of everything it was pitch black and I wanted to make sure I rembered how to get back. Finally after crossing a narrow bridge I made it to them and we made it back only to have my girlfriend tell me that the man had tried to approach her in the 10 minutes while I was away, this made her severely distraught seeing this the dude must of hightailed it out of there bevause we tried to find him and he was no where to be seen. We packed up the tent and located the keys. I was still so confused I had a hard time managing this. One of many difficult experiences I have had. Still freaks me out to know that dudes intention. To me it seemed being clearly impaired got his attention, whether he meant to take advantage of us in that state, or if he wanted to partake in said inbreiation. Whatever his intentions werebit severly freaked us out.

Never ever had a bad trip, I have had trips where I did think I was going to lose it pericularaly on a (25b-nbome & 5 meo mipt combo) . Lsd wise no problem at all considering my first dose I was only 14 years old. And that was a 300 ug trip the strongest trip I probably have ever had but it was fun the whole time.The fact i was so young and kinda just hangin with friends i think made it easier for me to handle other trips in future. Thats alot for a 14 year old to handle on his first psychedilc expierement. It was Full of love and insight.
From all people I know who have had bad trips they
A. Took way to much L
B. We just sensitive to psychs
Shrooms won't give me one either, though the trip is more strange to me than lsd or any of the other lysergamines. I dunno I think it's too much fun tripping and what I learning the end is always worth it. To me what blew me away is that you can see these beautiful fractal patterns and travel the universes of your mind and consciousness. It magic to me.
The difficult trips and I don't consider a bad trip, have happened to me but I don't consider them a bad trip. To me a bad trip is when you have answered all your questions from previous trips but have done nothing to change the situation. Then your head can kinda play with ya. I have always know while tripping that it will end no matter what the substance. Salvia was scary as hell for me but only lasted 15 minutes so overall it was just a lessoned learned.

Last edited:
On another ocassion a girl I was raped and pretty violently assulted by a girl who lost her mind on around 4mg of DOC. She became very agitated and came onto everyon in my friend group, atthis point I lost interest in doing anything wuth her besides calming her down as I had taken her to this camping trip as a "date". After creeoing out all my friends she began to lose touch with reality for sort burst. One minute it was the best night of her life the next she hated everyone. She began screaming atthe top of her lungs, and was really saying some loopy shit. I remember her shouting she hated dogs though there were none around, theb screaming acid repeatedly even though I had explained to her exactly what she was taking befor hand. Eventually her screaming caught the attention of some sherriffs who patrole the lake shined thier spotlight at us for some time. We tried to talk her down and get her in one of the tents, evebtuakky suceedimg by telling her that we all loved her and it was for her own good. After the cops left she started freaking out again mumbling things like "mom help me" and so on eventually saying moisture repeatedly which I tiik to mean her mouth was dry because mine was. I instructed my friends to hang outside the tent and I gave her some water. She opened it and dumped the whole ting on ke soaking everything in the tent. She ten told me she loved me since the 7th grade(we met in middleschoot but were soohmores in college st this point) then she told me she forgit my bame and tried to kiss me. She asked if I remembered the color green several times. I told her we were too messed up to do anything ans she shouted her vagina was purole and began stripping off all ger clothes. I said no again and she hit me in the face pretty hard I kept trying to resist but she got more loud and violent. In fear of the police returning I laid there and let he do whatever she wanted. Eventuakly she got off me and I crawled out of the tent. She flopped out of the tent and lay face down in the grass for over an hour. She then tried to act as if nothing happened. The next day she claimed she didnt remember having sex but she remember hitting me and that she was very sorry. Very strange night.

Also midway through sex she called me Ray which is bot my name which really creeped me out ajd when I tried to stop at that point she got violent once more.

I have ended up hospitalized and what some would consider psychotic, but I am mot sure I ser any of that as "bad"

Yes, i thought i had killed someone. It went from being an amazing trip to the worst experience of my life for around 1-2 hours.

I wouldn't call it a bad trip, but certainly a difficult trip. I ate 7 grams of shrooms the day after I was on a 2 day crack run that involved a run in with the police and narcotics agents. My dad had passed away about a year prior and while I was on my crack binge I was around alot of gang members. The reason I am mentioning this is because it greatly influenced my shrooms trip. Anyway I bought an ounce of Golden Teachers and I ate 7 grams in one sitting on an empty stomach.

The shrooms kicked in within 15 to 20 minutes and I felt a very intense body high like mdma times 10 and visually everything became much brighter, enhanced and vibrant. My visual acuity became much more sharp and when I closed my eyes and focused I was seeing colors and shaped patterns. At first everything was going great, I stepped outside and the world looked so vibrant and beautiful. I went back in the house and turned on some trippy strobe lights on YouTube, I got up and took a look outside the window and there was what looked like a middle aged white man sitting in his car and out of nowhere it looked like he was staring at me with binoculars and I became delusional thinking he was one of the undercover cops i had the run in with. In my mind I thought that he knew that I was tripping and that I had more shrooms and his thoughts were intruding my thoughts telling me to surrender to him with the shrooms.

I turned off the TV and went and hid in my bedroom and I had this overwhelming sense of impending doom going through my body and I was delusional thinking that I was doing telepathy in the form of thoughts with this delusion fueled cop and he wanted me to come outside. So I took a step outside and I saw that it was only two teenagers sitting in the car and they looked Spanish. So I calmed down, the body trip and the brightness of everything was going strong and I was able to vibrantly feel the brightness of everything in my body. I went back in the house and all of a sudden I went into another thought loop paranoid delusion thinking those two kids in the car were gang members coming to kill me. I went into the backroom and was hiding away from the windows thinking they were going to open fire at the house.

Then I started to think of my deceased dad and I felt his spirit and presence become alive inside of me, it was like we were talking to each other in thoughts not voices and I felt a tremendous wave of grief come up on me and I broke down crying my eyes out. My mother called the house phone and I answered and she was like what is wrong with you. I got defensive and hung up. Then I heard sirens and I became delusional again thinking that the police had the phone tapped and that they overheard me get emotional on the phone and sent an ambulance to the house. I called my mother back and apologized and because I did they sent the ambulance away.

The body high and mindfuck were very intense and once the peak of the trip was over everything was fine.But it was definitely an interesting experience and I believed the shrooms made me take a look at everything that was going on in my life and the bad stuff that I was doing and made me confront it head on.

I voted "Other"

I've tripped a couple of hundred times and the only bad trip I ever had was purely situational. I was 16 and being chased by the cops and some local vigilantes (for something I didn't do) through some woods in an area I was unfamiliar with.

Long story short: I escaped with minor injuries.
Lesson learned: Be careful who you hang out with, especially if you're on acid.