• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are benzos and opiates more addictive compared to other drugs?

I would trade this any day with a heroin or fentanyl withdraw. Fentanyl withdraw is the only one that could possibly be worse or equal to that of benzo withdraw but its over quick and your too weak to hurt yourself, hopefully.

How many of you have actually had a confirmed benzodiazepine withdraw? I ask because I have recently and it took 4 months of hospitalization with 2 doctors working with me as I was in delirium. I also had a bad seizure which had it not been in the hospital would have been fatal.

My benzo withdraw experience:

As I already said I had reached full delirium thinking all kind of crazy things. There were 2 doctors working on my case as I had a severe seizure which could have cost me my life had it not been in the hospital.

I was in withdrawl for a very long time. The thing is I was withdrawing from both methadone and benzos. I went with the methadone from 180mg to 60mg in one fucking go, no taper or nothing this after having missed 2 days due to being in delirium from withdrawl from lack of benzos.

By the end of 4 months, I was still experiencing trouble with electric shocks/zaps which happen every time I relax fully. These can originate in the chest, lower end of torso, heart area even (very troubling and painful), etc. These shocks are as if I got zapped with an electric wand or stick. They are very brief but occur just way too often and at very quick intervals, much if not identical to the hiccups, except full body spasm close to jumping in air (when I am close to sleeping, this is what they feel like I am jumping in the air).

I haven't gotten any breaks with the zaps in terms of frequency or strength, until I began using a benzodiazepine, xanax, after all that time, still though it worked and I mean full relief. Once they started I would swallow one if I hadn't already taken one by then, miraculously it worked. Another thing was the methadone was giving me an increase in zaps in both frequency and strength (some are hard enough to throw me off the bed).
Oh man that sounds terrible. I have been through 3 days benzo withdrawl at the worst and I can identify with the Violent electrical shocks where you Feel like you are flying off your bed (well you flew out of your bed fo real). I also experienced getting shocked and terrorized from any sudden noise, even from my air conditioner cycling on. And the crying and rage- thinking people were torturing me on purpose (ridiculous).
I REALLY want to taper off of benzos and am sorry that I ever got myself addicted to them but every medical report says that you will have horrible withdrawal symptoms for over a year after! I wish I wasn’t such a chicken. I have gone through methadone and benzo withdrawl and I would chose the agony of methadone withdrawal over benzo withdrawal ANY DAY! I have also gone through simultaneous withdrawl from both at the same time (only for up to 3 days) And THAT is just too much.
Also, I am 46 and have been an opiate addict (heroin then methadone) and benzo addict for 20 years. In my 20’s and 30’s I could handle withdrawal a bit better. I find that decades of addiction has been hard on my body and when I go through withdrawl in my 40’s, I feel like withdrawl is harder on me, and when my heart starts pounding I now have real fears of having a heart attack or stroke. I didn’t feel on the verge of death from withdrawal when I was younger.

The crushing depression opiates give makes me have irrational thoughts at times.... I've felt suicidal on a few ocassions on day 3-4 of a heavy morphine coldturkey.

The potent IV opioids, especially morphine and it's various esters, including morphine diacetate (heroin, diamorphine), morphine dinicotinate (nicomorphine), desomorphine, morphine dipropionate (dipropanoylmorphine), etc are probably some of the most addictive substances known.

I'd place hydromorphone and oxymorphone up there somewhere, but still somehow inferior to the morphine/heroin group. IV Demerol is great too. but once we get past the best opioids. Next in line would probably be cocaine.

I'll place codeine, hydrocodone, and oxycodone in between cocaine and the rest.

Then nicotine, barbiturates (pentobarbital, secobarbital, amobarbital, butabarbital), methaqualone, alcohol, and amphetamine all take the next spots.

Last edited:
Depends on you. I would say the WD from pills it's hell as to substances nhm also keep in mind that addiction doesn't always means obsession

It depends... I do no opiates at all because i don't like them. I tried them all or most of them and it ended up... notgood.

buuuut..... I'm a biiiig BenzoHead with a big LOOOOOVE to cocaine that i just sniffed.

WOW. together with a glass of white wine - perfect. I personally think that Benzos are more addictive to other drugs but I cannot tell something about opiates.

JJ

Why are you asking more or less the same question in combi with weed in another thread??? Because it was closed? Why do you think it was closed?

Oh man, I cannot bear people that ask questions in 100 threads because the first was closed, the second was closed.... Did you ask yourself why?

JJ

Has it been said that benzodiazepines are super addictive and can become fatal with improper usage?
Out

Just makes you kinda “pill drunk” and loopy/happy. Not scary. If you fall into a hole you will be so far in you won’t know how to worry about it 😂 . But you won’t.

I like this.

For me meth is most addictive because it makes my heart beat faster. Actually, my heart beats faster before i use than after. I get all jazzed up for a stimulant and then when i use i go to a familiar place. Sort of like heroin for me. But actual heroin, fent or whatever i've had, has me.. just feeling fine. Like things will be alright.

But i don't care for things to be alright. I sort of thrive in the chaos.

Amps do me this way. I get all jacked on the ritual or something then I overload and the feelings are a disappointment, mostly.

Yeah man.

Why disappointment? Too many good times that can't be repeated? :)

When things are good watch ya back. lol
peace

Yeah, never get too comfortable. I practice masochism just to toughen up the shell ;) To regulate the ego sometimes too.

opiates are the easiest drug to come off
benzos piece of piss took 8mg xanax for six months stopped coldd turkey .

this post is a joke
please dont start these drugs unless u can control your intake once a fortnite
You're a joke you don't know what you're talking which is good means you haven't had to struggle with drug addiction an don't need to even be in this site. But 6 months eh try 20 years and then open your mouth

Last edited:
You're a joke you don't know what you're talking which is good means you haven't had to struggle with drug addiction an don't need to even be in this site. But 6 months eh try 20 years and then open your mouth
Wtf piss off its sarcasm I've struggled with drug addicion for ten years

Without a shadow of a doubt, because both have intense withdrawals that’s just plain ol suck. And it’s acrually very dangerous to come off Benzos cold turkey. It can kill you.
Cocaine or meth might make u feel shitty for a few days when u stop. But it’s a more mental feeling, like getting over a cold and not being particularly happy.
Be careful with opioids and Benzoids. You have been warned.

People love their xanax. LOVE. I'd imagine addicts with crippling anxiety.

I don't find benzos to be anywhere nearly as addictive as the euphoric content of the evil opies though.

I would say they're more addictive than other drugs for a subset of the population that deals with anxiety, pain and depression. Opioids and benzos addicts are typically people trying to escape from problems and pain in their lives. I think a lot of these folks would turn to suicide if they didn't have drugs to help them cope with their day to day lives. I think that's why relapse and overdose is such a common thing with these people. Everyone wants to feel good. Opioids and benzos are a short cut to feeling good.

I came to the conclusion that benzos / gabaergics are maybe the worst drugs to mess with about long-term effects and withdrawal. They are good for acute use but it's possible that every pill adds up a little bit in that it needs much longer for gaba to recover than the effects of the drug. Opioid receptors regulate quick and heavy, gaba ones awfully slow.

Unsure about that but might be that I never fully recovered from a benzo turkey in my adolescence (bad, brain's still growing and addictions acquired in that time tend to be worst). Just maybe 8-10 weeks of some few mg's lorazepam per day, then got transferred into another station with a retarded doc putting me off without nothing. What followed was the first episode of intense anxiety, panic attacks, exacerbation of social anxiety in my life and slowly subsided after around again 8 weeks but from there on I was overly sensitive to anxiety. Didn't realize this until recently but it might be true. I still tolerate therapeutic benzos, they aren't like opioids which trigger full w/d after a short relapse but the sensitivity to anxiety remains. Thought it was primarily from NMDA antagonist overuse which can exacerbate too but it's pretty limited, even heavy tolerance to them doesn't usually come with anxiety.

Yes. Benzos and opiates are the worst drugs ever created. They hoist a entire slew of problems far greater than they ever did any good.

The rabbit hole of most heavy drugs can be overbearing and incredibly difficult to overcome.

As some states though, Meth or MDMA / acid abuse IMO will permanently damage you the worst, even with sobriety you may never return.

Opiate addiction, as horrible as it is, does not cause long term damage to one. They can come back and return to normal IMO.

This is hugely important factor