• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are benzos and opiates more addictive compared to other drugs?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I've always heard that it's possible to be a functioning alcohol, weed, and nicotine addict or taking psychedelics (LSD, MDMA). Anything else usually leads to a downward spiral especially with opiates and benzos. Is this true?

Anecdotally speaking, I know many functional hardcore weed and alcohol users that still have their jobs but all the people I know who started taking recreationally taking opiates and benzos has lost jobs, been to the ER various times, etc...

Probably yes, but I'd add alcohol to that list. There are so many people loosing their life to alcohol, and others taking benzos or opioid painkillers medically and are physically dependent yet don't really slip into addiction.

That said, I am a disso addict and while I don't have a job at the moment, it's not cause of the drug use, and a fellow mate who is pretty hard into dissos as well (as well as occasional morphine, for that) is just finishing her master ...

Generally, but this isn't the product of their use in a vacuum. Alcohol and nicotine are legal. Weed is not a hard drug for those whom are ~25 or older, and otherwise doesn't have near the incidence of abuse and addiction that other drugs do. Psychedelics follow the same route as weed, with possibly a less neurotoxic effect when younger (perhaps just due to the relative infrequency of use). MDMA though can be very hard on the brain if not used in the proper setting and/or if used with other drugs, but it has very little potential for addiction.

Opioids very easily invite addiction, like tobacco, but are illegal to use for this purpose (barring ORT and some other rare cricumstances). Benzos are legal for psychiatric use but can create a heavy dependency with very little use. Bottom line is that abuse of both/either classes will lead to levels of consumption that doctors will not sanction, as they are way past medical doses. But with alcohol, no one's setting a limit. And tobacco.

The cost in money and in functionality becomes way too large to bear when addicted to benzos/opioids. Mostly with opioids, people losing all trust of family and all function saving looking for the next fix. With benzos, one cna be titrated down in a hospital setting. But with addiction the dose raises ever higher in these cases. People either learn to quit/get on replacement therapy, or they pass on. They think they're immortal or that they have it under control, whereas they've lost all control and are being demanded upon by their brain, now under control of the substance.

Ketamine addiction can cost one their liver. Even in these cases, the addiction can be so bad that they keep using. I recall Freud still smoking cigars after a lump of cancer cost him most of his jaw.

I think one reason benzos an opiates differ in harm perhaps bc when people get on those it's normally a prescription for daily use vs. alcohol which isn't always used daily. And I think the daily use has an effect on the degree of addiction. Other than that I think alcohol is up there and sometimes people react worse to alcohol.
That said I'm currently working on getting off opiates which is a bitch and takes forever but I was also put on benzos for 15 yrs and got up to 4mg a day of clonazepam. I was a zombie and would have seizures if I ran out for long. Tapering off was the only way but It's taken another 5 yrs just to get down to .5 mg and still have strong physical effects if I go without.

Alcohol is very hard to remain functional on strictly due to its potency of effects and toxicity on the body. It's probably the worst drug for you in terms of frequent use and even more so than meth.

Nothing good comes from MDMA abuse. If you read some of the MDMA recovery threads you'll see how horrible the consequences are from even mild MDMA use, and some people are still struggling with heavy anxiety and depression many years after cessation.

Opiates and Benzos do not necessarily make you dysfunctional depending on one's tolerance and use. Many people have used both substances for years in a row and still manage to maintain jobs and successful social lives. However, benzos have a potentially lethal withdrawal which makes them one of the most dangerous for extended use. While opiates do not have lethal withdrawal whatsoever, the withdrawal is mentally devastating and enough to lock users into the addiction for sometimes even a decade or more.

As for as the most addictive drugs--I'd formulate that heroin is probably the strongest addiction on earth. I've never seen so many people struggle with heroin than with anything else in my entire life. Next on the line is meth.. the crippling depression and brain fog from attempting to maintain sobriety after methamphetamine abuse is not to be underestimated. What users find to be the most addictive is purely subjective. There are people who do not like opiates lol. What is addictive versus not is probably dependent on one's personality or brain chemistry. I've never found benzos to be recreational. To me they do not seem to be euphoric or release any noticeable dopamine while there are many addicts who struggle with benzodiazepine addiction for life.

Last edited:
opiates are the easiest drug to come off
benzos piece of piss took 8mg xanax for six months stopped coldd turkey .

this post is a joke
please dont start these drugs unless u can control your intake once a fortnite

i still ddont feel right when i cut down 30mgdiazepam to fifteen and that was two yearsago :( anxious as fuck

ABSOLUTELY.
Apart from alcohol. That way worse again than either.
(I've experienced addiction to and withdrawal from all of them).

i still ddont feel right when i cut down 30mgdiazepam to fifteen and that was two yearsago :( anxious as fuck

The anxiety coming off benzo's is insane. Tip: alcohol works just as well for benzo withdrawal as benzo's do for alcohol withdrawal - just be careful not to replace one addition for another.

Last edited:
Would people say that alcohol is the worst drug to come off of? Even worse than Benzos?
about same alcohol shorter half life more intense but more addictive and easier to access and cheap both bad is say opiates are worse as in you feel I'll as duck but gets better after three days. Diazepam is like the methadone of benzos long half life long withdrawal.

I'm going to take a risk of getting multiple negative responses for being quite blunt about it, in stating that benzos aren't as addictive as opiates, simply due to the fact that the symptoms of withdrawal aren't nearly as pronounced as with opiates, IMO even weed can actually cause more cravings than benzos.

However, quitting benzos is a whole another story because it's dangerous, withdrawal caused by benzos manifests as having seizures and dying, so please don't be misquoting the first half of this post.

benzos aren't as addictive as opiates, simply due to the fact that the symptoms of withdrawal aren't nearly as pronounced as with opiates,
Whaaaat?
Following is a response re: response is just my personal experience with both substances and withdrawals.
I'm going to take a risk of getting multiple negative responses for being quite blunt about it....
I have never felt insane from any withdrawals other than benzo WD. That shit is truly scary for me. Not impossible and on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most wretched) I would put benzo at at least 8 maybe 9 and opiates at around 3-4.
No sleep from opiate cessation - ~3-5 days
No sleep from benzo cessation - ~3-5 weeks

Ohhhh, wait. Didn't look at poster name. Sorry feel again for the ol bait and switch.
Just when I had hopes....
Wont continue the post as it is written all over the universe to be gleaned.
@KnowsNotWhatItMean
Your post is a contradiction in essence and spirit.

Last edited:
I have never felt insane from any withdrawals other than benzo WD. That shit is truly scary for me.
Just curious, are you currently taking benzos and what was the longest period of time at staying clean from benzos for you?

Last edited:
I've seen many people say that benzo withdrawal makes opiate withdrawal look like a walk in the park. Imo opie withdrawal obliterates every corner of your soul lol. The outrageous negativity you have towards the world and yourself/sense of impending doom where nothing helps--sometimes not even benzos. The fact that you're constantly tired but can't sleep, or eat, or lay down because of the restless leg and arm aspect makes life a solid 2/10 (without withdrawal aids). There's something special about opiate withdrawal that makes you want to kill yourself. but at least you know you'll definitely live! I've gone through stimulant withdrawal a few times and it's simply depression, a little bit of ahedonia, and sleepiness but I'd rather go through that any day than opioid withdrawal for sure.

Never had an affinity for benzos so I cannot say I've had anything more than slight ativan rebound anxiety. I can handle depression okay, but anxiety is the worst thing I can think of and I can't imagine how bad it would be during benzo withdrawal. Interesting how people say that marijuana has cravings. I smoked daily for 5 years and stopped abruptly for no intentional reasons. I didn't even notice that it was gone and haven't really been smoking since. Everyone's different though... marijuana does have a slight withdrawal for some and is quite addictive sometimes. I don't consider marijuana a real "drug."

I've been addicted to benzos, oxy, heroin, fent, methadone, phenibut, crack and slightly to alcohol. Each had their own unique withdrawal. Benzos were definitely the most difficult withdrawal. I took klonopin, xanax and methadone for almost 10yrs. I had to come off of those at the same time and I still didn't feel right a year and change later. I wound up relapsing and have relapsed periodically on opiates since. That being said I definitely find opiates the most addictive because they have much more of a euphoric recall then benzos. The withdrawal from phenibut also had it's own special brand of paranoid psychosis and panic to it. It's hard to say which is more addictive because the withdrawal is really only the beginning. Staying clean and dealing with life on lifes terms without wanting to escape is the real challenge.

That being said I definitely find opiates the most addictive because they have much more of a euphoric recall then benzos.
They're even more addictive while you're not on methadone I gotta say, but they aren't even euphoric to me. They just make me feel less like shit and more well.

Last edited:
They're even more addictive while you're not on methadone I gotta say, but they aren't even euphoric to me. They just make me feel less like shit and more well.

They both suck. I would much rather be addicted to one substance though because if I had one and not the other then i would still be in withdrawal, so I was always having to source and make sure I had enough of both substances.