• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Anyone else rave on acid?

Most definitely, I’ve realized I can actually go deeper in these settings than at home even. So long as your at one where security ischill..

-GC
I haven't been able to attend any such events for many years and I don't see it being an option currently. I would really like to and for me one of the great benefits of that particular setting is how everything becomes timeless whereas when you are at home you are always subconsciously aware of the hour of the day of the week of the month of the year.

The grinding, mundane, cyclical, routine and inescapable daily reality which melts away along with the clock and time itself at these outdoor events.

I miss it for sure. Maybe one day I can go to such a place.

Last edited:
I understand your feelings, but I can only say, that you are listening to wrong guys. Atm you sound like you turn on radio and there it is top 10 dance tracks and you say agh facking shit everything is predictable and boring. If you are truly into it, you just need to go deeper when looking around or go to a different festival. I, too, am really bored about the same predictable stuff played over and over again, it does sound like top 10 dance hits to me, too.

Anyway on topic, it is a matter of person, to each their own, usually I kind of feel a slight energetic boost and it feels great to dance. Or just hop around.

Of course, to each their own. And I guarantee you if I was tripping my nuts off at a psy party in the woods I, at least for the duration of the peak, would absolutely surrender to it.
But in general I don't have enough energy to seek out psy parties in my neck of the woods. I'm sure some DJ are better than others, that there are tracks I might actually respond to, but overall... there's just too much other dance music I'll want to dig deep into before I try going there again (and hey, I fully credit psychedelics for this!). I know for sure that whatever good trance-adjacent stuff I stumble upon is always from around 93-96.

Is it possible that the excessive use of sonic flourishes is a detriment to the genre? I don't need 6 vocoded acid lines interweaving at any given moment; that's like listening to some dude shredding, the electronic equivalent of Satriani or Maalmsteem. It's all very rococo in the end. I prefer dance music that's sparser and easier to layer with other tracks, as 99% of psy really doesn't lend itself to this -- way too busy! Then there's the rather song-like structures, the interminable breakdowns... not my cup of tea.

That said I like really old stuff like Total Eclipse, Transwave and maybe even Koxbox?? would have to give those a solid state spin

I did spin a psytrance track once.. I went searching. Here's a set I did on for Internet radio a decade ago in which I flung in a psytrance track at the 36-37 minute mark somewhere. It's incredibly dark 3Deck minimal techno spun together on DXM, DPH and weed though, so beware y'all sweet summer child souls.

Oh, and the track kicking in about the 22 minute mark is of my own production. It's called "DPH". It has a dumbness to it, and it's intentional. Because DPH eats brain.

And yes it ends in 9/11.

Last edited:
Let's debrief this move here, because I got excited to the point of informing Richie Hawtin again..

It wasn't really meant as a promo, I just can't help but love techno to the extent of desiring to return its joy to the source that gave it. In the end I desire human contact, even as someone who likes to lock himself up in his bedroom in spite of how ridiculous this looks to everyone else. And although some of the fuel behind techno tends towards dehumanization, I don't think this renders it the final word on this art form. Nevertheless the whole scene often makes it look so, as evidenced by how Richie is sometimes treated by colleagues during interviews. If this is indeed inevitable then it's most definitely not a promo, because I wouldn't be able to function in such world anyway. I'm not adverse to cold empathy, but I also do not want to remain on a diet of it. Which is a natural result of being too artistic to be tolerated by the intellectual world, and too intellectual to be approachable by the artistic world. Or too messy to be approached by the clean minimalist mind. So be it.

Though the way I do it is compartmenting it away from the main sound. If humanization results in a trancy sound, that's - to my ears - obviously not the way to go either. It's not exactly a psytrance track I mixed in there, incidentally. More like dark goa.

Interesting external implications have been noted in the form of a mental hangover from my own product this time. It's like an animal slowly losing immunity to its own venom. The dark isn't quite as satisfying if it's not essentially catharsis stemming from a secretly cherished sense of victimhood and powerlessness. There is a place and time for accepting even the greatest horrors of existence, but at what point does this become spitting in the face of the crying child? It's another conundrum. There's obvious benefit to a freely accessible off-button for sensitivity, if the weight of certain subjects tends to render the mind dysfunctional to the point of preferring escape and denial and business as usual. On the other hand, insensitivity as a free variable is an insult to the beauty of the frailty of life. It's not an easy topic, and the discussion therefore ought to remain open.

But it does make sense, at least to my mind, that the dissociated mind is in the perfect position to shed clarity on the musical chess game of global mechanics, considering how distressing it has proven to be for the more sober minds (including my own) to cope with. I'm just saying, I'm not doing it primarily for the ego trip. Although I can't deny it's rather amusing if it would indeed turn out to be the case that the biggest ego trip I can think of would literally be in everyone's benefit.

Yeah I always take 300-400ug at every Bassnectar show I go to and all are well over 10k people. Always one of my favorite and most magical times, never understood why people don’t do it more haha.

Will say that bathroom trips get weird because you don’t realize how fucking hard you’re tripping in the dark with all the lights. Then the bathroom is morphing so hard you can barely walk straight lol

Yeah why is it that toilets are always the place where you're tripping the most balls?

Yeah why is it that toilets are always the place where you're tripping the most balls?

Because it’s a significantly calmer environment with better light so you’re able to realize how hard you’re tripping haha. Hard to tell sometimes in a dark room or outside in the dark besides just knowing you’re fucked up and things probably don’t look like how they really are

It's also a narrower space where you're suddenly confronted with textures up close.
I was at a king gizzard show on ~300ug and the bathroom was just a gong show. Half the venue was drunk and doing stims and the other half was on acid and there was this huge line up to piss. I'm just wrecked in line watching other people on acid panic. Once they enterered the confined space theyd panic and head out of the bathroom then be like fuck ive gotta piss still and re enter the line. I was just uncontrollably laughing at it and these guys all stimmed up looking at me like wtf this weirdo laughing at

Yeah I always take 300-400ug at every Bassnectar show I go to and all are well over 10k people. Always one of my favorite and most magical times, never understood why people don’t do it more haha.
Out of curiosity, how long have you been checking out his shows?

Out of curiosity, how long have you been checking out his shows?

I know you didn’t ask me but I’ve been seeing the guy since 2010 or so.. Wildstyle method era. He was how I got back into the electronic/MD scene after my trouble with heroin. Last time I saw him was 2013 I think, since then they’ve gotten to big and expensive for me to attend. Really miss his shows though, the bass head days were nuts. That said the vibes ain’t right these days, much prefer a low key community event.

-GC

I know you didn’t ask me but I’ve been seeing the guy since 2010 or so.. Wildstyle method era. He was how I got back into the electronic/MD scene after my trouble with heroin. Last time I saw him was 2013 I think, since then they’ve gotten to big and expensive for me to attend. Really miss his shows though, the bass head days were nuts. That said the vibes ain’t right these days, much prefer a low key community event.

-GC

He closed this past Basscenter with wildstyle...shit never gets old. I’ve got videos from the past 3 Basscenters that legit blow my fucking mind just watching them haha

Haha yea I absolutely go wild to that style of bass music.. Jantsen is one of the few I’ll still run into with that style but lately it’s all about the heavy dub or wonky/funky bass styles around here (both which I love.)

I remember what got me too back then was when someone mentioned for me to check out bassnectar, I looked up his videos and cane across that Wildstyle method video with clips from his shows. I was in tears by the end of that, and almost immediately bought my ticket for the first E Forest. Good times..

-GC

^ that is the correct attitude
The main problem with psytrance is its escapist and hermetic nature. In spite of it being linked to some sort of hippie subculture, it's rather predictable, rigidly formatted and ultimately conservative. Producers always fall back on the same sound palette (which has barely evolved since about... 1997? Or whenever the melodies, which were arguably the most interesting aspect of early Goa, started taking a back seat.). You never hear psytrance that recognizes or hints at its house and techno roots. In fact, it often sounds like dance music made by people who have a vague idea about techno and house, but never really bothered to check it out in depth, and just want music that sounds like being on drugs. At best, it's a gateway to better music for teenagers (I definitely went through it when I was 16-17)
Not to mention that it's one of the main cultural exports of a brutal settler state, and correct me if I'm wrong, but none of the artists from that scene seem too preoccupied with that reality.

(sorry for the rant lol)

It always comes down to personnal preferences. Personnally, I find house music boring, like if it has no life. Psytrance is nice from time to time, I'm more into the uplifting morning stuff. nightime or dark psytrance at home without drugs is not something I enjoy. I love hardstyle. I enjoy raw hardstyle and hardcore, even if it's sometimes too much. The more melodic hardstyle has something special, I have serotonin rushes when I get lost into it.

For acid, psytrance is the music! Always better to keep lower on the dose. I had a nightmare trip on an heavy dose of lsd+mdma+speed at an indoor event. A lower dose and the possibility to get outside make it a safer and nicer experience.

Stay careful with the dose and setting. I had some nice experiences on crazy drug mixes like lsd+mdma+speed+ket before my nightmare trip. If you push your luck with psychedelics, you might end up at the hospital.

And, yes there's a part of escapism in the psytrance community. In fact, it is common with most of the rave scene.