• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Anybody have any knowledge on the best way to taper off benzos (Xanax) whilst avoiding seizures and being able to sleep too? Any info would help.

Well I'm having trouble waking up right now. But I am sorry if I offended you in anyway shaver for men. That's supposed to say shape or form. Look up something called melatonin to help reset your sleep cycle

Way I see it: best bet (for sleep while tapering) would be one of the z-drugs (listed under the heading "Non-benzodiazepines with similar effects" on the link below). What you're looking for is something that's classified as a hypnotic i.e. "Market aim" is "h". Personal experience: given the exact same period of nightly use of Alprazolam (Xanax) and Zopiclone I never experienced even one iota of anything even remotely resembling withdrawal symptoms from Zopiclone and just quit them cold turkey. Cannot say the same for Alprazolam (Xanax). Caveat being: Zopiclone not for everyone i.e. been an increasing number of reports (both here and online elsewhere) where it has an adverse effect on mental well being in some individuals (can exacerbate depression, be the cause of suicidal thoughts, mandated to carry a warning in this regard). Zolpidem arguably the better bet i.e. short half life and theoretically meant to knock you out until your body naturally takes over sleep.

Seizures shouldn't be an issue with a LONG and GRADUAL and PROTRACTED taper.

You're in the UK. One of your very own wrote what's become known as the "Benzo. Bible" (link below). If you've already read it: good and well and sorry for wasting your time. But if you haven't: don't just speed read through it or take a look at it and decide TLDR! It's got everything in it that you need to know including tapering schedules, substitutions, equivalences, anticonvulsants, and a whole bunch of other stuff in order to make withdrawal from benzodiazepines far easier and bearable.

There's very little that anybody here, myself included, can add to what's contained in the manual I'm afraid to say. Individual experience may differ but that's about it. And sometimes we make it far more difficult than it needs to be.

Anyway. And here's where it gets personal and anecdotal. Been there twice and got the t-shirts for Alprazolam (Xanax). Never bought into the substitution (of one benzodiazepine for another) notion (always just figured it was digging yet another potential hole). But I know from experience that Alprazolam (Xanax) can be a bitch i.e. because of its short half life it's unpredictable e.g. withdrawal one day and nothing the next (and nothing to do with dosage) is my experience so from that perspective I get the reason for going onto a benzodiazepine with a longer and more predictable half life.

Another (proven by self) helpful hint: while it's suggested to taper in the smallest dose possible I don't personally advocate simply cutting up tablets (bars) e.g. cutting up a 1mg tablet (bar) into quarters (0.25mg per quarter obviously). It's nigh on impossible to ensure that each quarter is the same size and strength. I guess what I'm saying is to plan this taper carefully. Once again personal experience: even from low dose daily/nightly Alprazolam (Xanax) usage, particularly if having being taken at the exact same time every day/night, the slightest variation in dose is noticeable.

I'm speaking out of turn here but I cannot see as how swapping out benzodiazepines for opioids is a good idea. Speaking out of turn because save for the occasional Fentanyl experiment: I have no experience with opioids or opioid addiction and withdrawal or daily use. The general consensus APPEARS to be that benzodiazepine withdrawal is worse than that of opioid withdrawal or alcohol withdrawal. Thankfully I cannot comment on either. But from some of the shit I've read around these parts: withdrawal from any of these substances doesn't sound too pleasant. And if it were me (which obviously it's not): I'd still take the stance that I'd be creating another potential and unnecessary problem. And of course: benzodiazepines and opioids don't mix well i.e. one magnifies the effects EXPONENTIALLY of the other (and that's no fallacy either based on personal research and testing! :ROFLMAO: ).

All I can say is good luck dude i.e. I don't envy you. Not on those doses of Alprazolam (Xanax).

No I'm not gay. I never even sucked a cock sober before. And if I did I'd be worried about one that was uncircumcised. The taste. Smeggy..
Btw, uncircumcised is the way to go! Smeg comes down to the person and basic hygeine, nothing to do with the foreskin. It's like your arm pits, just wash them or they'll smell.!

Way I see it: best bet (for sleep while tapering) would be one of the z-drugs (listed under the heading "Non-benzodiazepines with similar effects" on the link below). What you're looking for is something that's classified as a hypnotic i.e. "Market aim" is "h". Personal experience: given the exact same period of nightly use of Alprazolam (Xanax) and Zopiclone I never experienced even one iota of anything even remotely resembling withdrawal symptoms from Zopiclone and just quit them cold turkey. Cannot say the same for Alprazolam (Xanax). Caveat being: Zopiclone not for everyone i.e. been an increasing number of reports (both here and online elsewhere) where it has an adverse effect on mental well being in some individuals (can exacerbate depression, be the cause of suicidal thoughts, mandated to carry a warning in this regard). Zolpidem arguably the better bet i.e. short half life and theoretically meant to knock you out until your body naturally takes over sleep.

Seizures shouldn't be an issue with a LONG and GRADUAL and PROTRACTED taper.

You're in the UK. One of your very own wrote what's become known as the "Benzo. Bible" (link below). If you've already read it: good and well and sorry for wasting your time. But if you haven't: don't just speed read through it or take a look at it and decide TLDR! It's got everything in it that you need to know including tapering schedules, substitutions, equivalences, anticonvulsants, and a whole bunch of other stuff in order to make withdrawal from benzodiazepines far easier and bearable.

There's very little that anybody here, myself included, can add to what's contained in the manual I'm afraid to say. Individual experience may differ but that's about it. And sometimes we make it far more difficult than it needs to be.

Anyway. And here's where it gets personal and anecdotal. Been there twice and got the t-shirts for Alprazolam (Xanax). Never bought into the substitution (of one benzodiazepine for another) notion (always just figured it was digging yet another potential hole). But I know from experience that Alprazolam (Xanax) can be a bitch i.e. because of its short half life it's unpredictable e.g. withdrawal one day and nothing the next (and nothing to do with dosage) is my experience so from that perspective I get the reason for going onto a benzodiazepine with a longer and more predictable half life.

Another (proven by self) helpful hint: while it's suggested to taper in the smallest dose possible I don't personally advocate simply cutting up tablets (bars) e.g. cutting up a 1mg tablet (bar) into quarters (0.25mg per quarter obviously). It's nigh on impossible to ensure that each quarter is the same size and strength. I guess what I'm saying is to plan this taper carefully. Once again personal experience: even from low dose daily/nightly Alprazolam (Xanax) usage, particularly if having being taken at the exact same time every day/night, the slightest variation in dose is noticeable.

I'm speaking out of turn here but I cannot see as how swapping out benzodiazepines for opioids is a good idea. Speaking out of turn because save for the occasional Fentanyl experiment: I have no experience with opioids or opioid addiction and withdrawal or daily use. The general consensus APPEARS to be that benzodiazepine withdrawal is worse than that of opioid withdrawal or alcohol withdrawal. Thankfully I cannot comment on either. But from some of the shit I've read around these parts: withdrawal from any of these substances doesn't sound too pleasant. And if it were me (which obviously it's not): I'd still take the stance that I'd be creating another potential and unnecessary problem. And of course: benzodiazepines and opioids don't mix well i.e. one magnifies the effects EXPONENTIALLY of the other (and that's no fallacy either based on personal research and testing! :ROFLMAO: ).

All I can say is good luck dude i.e. I don't envy you. Not on those doses of Alprazolam (Xanax).

Thanks for all the info dude. Also, I've had Zopiclone before for 1-2 weeks every night and had zero withdrawals too. I figure I'll use that.

I'll probably make my own liquid based Valium medicine as you can use it to taper really presice doses and do it a small bit at a time. I'll be good.

Thanks again for all the info though, I appreciate it👍

Btw, uncircumcised is the way to go! Smeg comes down to the person and basic hygeine, nothing to do with the foreskin. It's like your arm pits, just wash them or they'll smell.!
Wait you're supposed to wash them? I always just wipe them.

I take Xanax atm before bed. I didn't plan on getting addicted but before I know it I couldn't sleep without it after I'd been taking it for too long (I've been in this pinch before.) Last time I tried coming off Xanax, It worked, but I had seizures.

My two main worries are seizures and sleep (I suffer with insomnia enough as it is.)

Valium tends to be the gold standard for tapering, so I planned on going from Xanax to Valium and lowering my dose to eventually taper off Valium.

My main concern is sleep. Whilst I change to valium and start tapering, I won't be able to sleep well...any recommendations?

Also, what can I do to avoid having seizures when I decide to take my last dose of Valium when I'm done tapering? From past experience, it's the first 2-4 days after that last dose where the seizures occured. Are the any anti-convulsants that work well for benzo-induced seizures?

I figured I could use pregabalin short term after my last dose of Valium to give my body time to adjust to avoid seziures, or is that not how it works?

Any advice/help/tips on the seizure part and sleep part would be greatly appreciated.

(Bare in mind, I'm an insomniac as it is, so for the sleep part things like Lavender won't work. Just need something short term to help me sleep through the initial phase of W/D and sleep is a big factor.)

Also, weird question, but can you use opiates to dampen the W/D effects of benzos when you're tapering/coming off them? I find it way, way easier to come off opiates than benzos. So I figured if used opiates, they could help? Like, I could swap them round. If I could swap benzos with opiates and come off the opiates it would make it much easier for me but I doubt it's that simple.

I know it's never as simple as that but it's sort of an idea that makes a bit of sense?😅

Either way it all boils down to be needing sleep when I take that last dose of valium (and whilst I taper down) and not having seizures the following few days.

Mind you, I've not had seziures from coming off Valium as I haven't tried it...only Xanax. Am I less likely to suffer seizures by tapering with Valium than I am Xanax? Bare in mind I didn't do a good job of tapering with Xanax before.

Sorry for the long-ass thread, it's 2:21am and I'm up worrying about all this; probs repeated myself 3 times. If anybody has any help/advice for what I could do and/or use to help with sleep, W/D & seizures then please, let me know!

Thank you👍

Hey there, I just kicked Xanax in June so I wanted to share my experience. Like you, I have horrible insomnia & crippling anxiety. I started using xans just for that & didn’t even realize I would get physically dependent. I started really abusing it & taking at the very least 8mg a day in October of last year. In June of this year, I did a bit of a taper & stopped taking them completely. I was also afraid of seizures, but thankfully I had none. The withdrawal from benzos is hell on steroids. This is coming from someone who used to be addicted to heroin & I was an IV user. Benzo withdrawal made heroin withdrawal look like a cake walk. Not trying to discourage you, just wanted you to know the truth. I was kicking for probably like 2 weeks, but now I’m all good & happy to be free from something that gets me dope sick. I hope this helps!

Hey there, I just kicked Xanax in June so I wanted to share my experience. Like you, I have horrible insomnia & crippling anxiety. I started using xans just for that & didn’t even realize I would get physically dependent. I started really abusing it & taking at the very least 8mg a day in October of last year. In June of this year, I did a bit of a taper & stopped taking them completely. I was also afraid of seizures, but thankfully I had none. The withdrawal from benzos is hell on steroids. This is coming from someone who used to be addicted to heroin & I was an IV user. Benzo withdrawal made heroin withdrawal look like a cake walk. Not trying to discourage you, just wanted you to know the truth. I was kicking for probably like 2 weeks, but now I’m all good & happy to be free from something that gets me dope sick. I hope this helps!
Welcome to Bluelight

Thanks, I've just ordered 100 Valium. They're presses but they're from a reliable source and I've had them tested and it is legit Valium, just not pharma (I'm in UK so I can buy pharma Valium, it's just super pricey.)

Yeah it's weird, some people find benzos easier to deal with whilst others struggle more with opiates. I think it's my anxiety that makes benzos harder to deal with.

But thanks again for the info👍
Super pricey? I can get diazepam 10mg for a quid each!... Real... In UK... Not found any other benzos over here tho... I'm a UK citizen, just got bk home from 8 yrs in Colorado where I discovered oxycodone.... Fuckin miss that stuff (Im a way)

Jesus Christ.... A cake walk... I've been through H withdrawals and never ever thought there was anything worse.....

Xanax withdrawal was definitely worse for me than kicking H or methadone ugh 😩
My god... I never knew that... I was taking 150mg of Valium at one point in a single dose... Could still walk and talk etc.. even have a glass of wine with it and be ok... Brought that down to 10mg theses days every other day if I get some insomnia... I think Xanax is worse than valium....???

Xanax is quite short-acting. It doesn't last long in the body. Diazepam does. There are honestly conflicting schools of thought of whether the short-acting or the long-acting is most medicinal/safe. I have heard it say though, that Xanax can cause panic if taken too much in the long run, even as it prevents panic in the immediate.

I think that, taken once or twice a week or less often, it can be medicinal. But it's just so easy to rationalize taking more often. Then it gets into something of a slippery slope.

It's definitely better to be on a benzo than on booze. And probably they are more medicinal than opioids. There is a tolerance to the effects, but not a total tolerance. With opioids, tolerance to the psychic effects becomes complete.

Opioids are much more pleasurable, but a tolerant person won't get so much as a mild antidepressant effect unless they constantly up their dose. We all know where that ends, unfortunately.

Yeah I definitely know where that can end... Very pleasant to start, hell coming off the stuff (in the long run)

Swapping benzodiazepines for opioids isn't any sort of good idea, just doubling your problems. Switching to diazepam is the way it's done clinically. It's not just the long half life, but that diazepam has a load of active metabolites (nordiazepam, oxazepam & temazepam, as well as others). The main thing is you have to have determined to quit, not just replace excessive doses of one benzo with excessive doses òf anòther.
Prolonged seizures can be fatal, so if that looks like it might happen, your only viable course of action is to be honest with a doctor (make sure it's a doc who understands, before telling everything, as some are pricks with fuck all understanding of pharmacology - and probably fuck all empathy).

No I'm not gay. I never even sucked a cock sober before. And if I did I'd be worried about one that was uncircumcised. The taste. Smeggy..
Same thing...to be gay or not.That not bother me at all.Know gays who are absolute scumbags.I know gays that are real Humans...empathic,intelligent,true artists and good souls.All is about to be human...to left something good behind you.

Same thing...to be gay or not.That not bother me at all.Know gays who are absolute scumbags.I know gays that are real Humans...empathic,intelligent,true artists and good souls.All is about to be human...to left something good behind you.
You do realize that uncircumcised is just as clean as circumcised... It's all the same as soon as you get a touch on anyway! And if your shower every day then it's not an issue... I've read some horrible story's of kids when they start to get older and they been circumcised and they have major nerve damage and pain on the ends of there dicks coz over the years growing up when they we're starting to get hard ons and it's rubbing on their jeans ete etc ... You only need circumcing if you have ridiculously long fore skin when your born... Americans get told it's needed just so the hospitals can charge you for something most guys don't even need....you've been lied to .... Again!!!

You do realize that uncircumcised is just as clean as circumcised... It's all the same as soon as you get a touch on anyway! And if your shower every day then it's not an issue... I've read some horrible story's of kids when they start to get older and they been circumcised and they have major nerve damage and pain on the ends of there dicks coz over the years growing up when they we're starting to get hard ons and it's rubbing on their jeans ete etc ... You only need circumcing if you have ridiculously long fore skin when your born... Americans get told it's needed just so the hospitals can charge you for something most guys don't even need....you've been lied to .... Again!!!
If this post is for me idk?I am circumsized as a child.Fimosa condition.It was very painful longtime after surgery.Forsure much more hygienic,cause there is no place for smegma.Apart from that i receive a natural "edge".People used to buy condoms with that purpose-to give more pleasure to his partner...

Haha if that means cheese dick I've never had that problem lol 🤣😆🤣... But each to their own... More of an edge???