• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Anybody have any knowledge on the best way to taper off benzos (Xanax) whilst avoiding seizures and being able to sleep too? Any info would help.

Daddydopedick

Bluelighter
I take Xanax atm before bed. I didn't plan on getting addicted but before I know it I couldn't sleep without it after I'd been taking it for too long (I've been in this pinch before.) Last time I tried coming off Xanax, It worked, but I had seizures.

My two main worries are seizures and sleep (I suffer with insomnia enough as it is.)

Valium tends to be the gold standard for tapering, so I planned on going from Xanax to Valium and lowering my dose to eventually taper off Valium.

My main concern is sleep. Whilst I change to valium and start tapering, I won't be able to sleep well...any recommendations?

Also, what can I do to avoid having seizures when I decide to take my last dose of Valium when I'm done tapering? From past experience, it's the first 2-4 days after that last dose where the seizures occured. Are the any anti-convulsants that work well for benzo-induced seizures?

I figured I could use pregabalin short term after my last dose of Valium to give my body time to adjust to avoid seziures, or is that not how it works?

Any advice/help/tips on the seizure part and sleep part would be greatly appreciated.

(Bare in mind, I'm an insomniac as it is, so for the sleep part things like Lavender won't work. Just need something short term to help me sleep through the initial phase of W/D and sleep is a big factor.)

Also, weird question, but can you use opiates to dampen the W/D effects of benzos when you're tapering/coming off them? I find it way, way easier to come off opiates than benzos. So I figured if used opiates, they could help? Like, I could swap them round. If I could swap benzos with opiates and come off the opiates it would make it much easier for me but I doubt it's that simple.

I know it's never as simple as that but it's sort of an idea that makes a bit of sense?😅

Either way it all boils down to be needing sleep when I take that last dose of valium (and whilst I taper down) and not having seizures the following few days.

Mind you, I've not had seziures from coming off Valium as I haven't tried it...only Xanax. Am I less likely to suffer seizures by tapering with Valium than I am Xanax? Bare in mind I didn't do a good job of tapering with Xanax before.

Sorry for the long-ass thread, it's 2:21am and I'm up worrying about all this; probs repeated myself 3 times. If anybody has any help/advice for what I could do and/or use to help with sleep, W/D & seizures then please, let me know!

Thank you👍

I take Xanax atm before bed. I didn't plan on getting addicted but before I know it I couldn't sleep without it after I'd been taking it for too long (I've been in this pinch before.) Last time I tried coming off Xanax, It worked, but I had seizures.

My two main worries are seizures and sleep (I suffer with insomnia enough as it is.)

Valium tends to be the gold standard for tapering, so I planned on going from Xanax to Valium and lowering my dose to eventually taper off Valium.

My main concern is sleep. Whilst I change to valium and start tapering, I won't be able to sleep well...any recommendations?

Also, what can I do to avoid having seizures when I decide to take my last dose of Valium when I'm done tapering? From past experience, it's the first 2-4 days after that last dose where the seizures occured. Are the any anti-convulsants that work well for benzo-induced seizures?

I figured I could use pregabalin short term after my last dose of Valium to give my body time to adjust to avoid seziures, or is that not how it works?

Any advice/help/tips on the seizure part and sleep part would be greatly appreciated.

(Bare in mind, I'm an insomniac as it is, so for the sleep part things like Lavender won't work. Just need something short term to help me sleep through the initial phase of W/D and sleep is a big factor.)

Also, weird question, but can you use opiates to dampen the W/D effects of benzos when you're tapering/coming off them? I find it way, way easier to come off opiates than benzos. So I figured if used opiates, they could help? Like, I could swap them round. If I could swap benzos with opiates and come off the opiates it would make it much easier for me but I doubt it's that simple.

I know it's never as simple as that but it's sort of an idea that makes a bit of sense?😅

Either way it all boils down to be needing sleep when I take that last dose of valium (and whilst I taper down) and not having seizures the following few days.

Mind you, I've not had seziures from coming off Valium as I haven't tried it...only Xanax. Am I less likely to suffer seizures by tapering with Valium than I am Xanax? Bare in mind I didn't do a good job of tapering with Xanax before.

Sorry for the long-ass thread, it's 2:21am and I'm up worrying about all this; probs repeated myself 3 times. If anybody has any help/advice for what I could do and/or use to help with sleep, W/D & seizures then please, let me know!

Thank you👍
Well it depends on your dose,period of use,metabolism and health status.Valium is long acting benzo so its gold standard to tappering other benzos and alcohol withdrawl.The problem is that too easily can go into valium habbit and addiction.Me personaly toke valium from decades but never go above 10-15mg daily.Quit once for a couple of months after tappering for a while to 5mg and was relatively easy-but this are low doses.As for lyrica and other gaba drugs think that you can use it for a while to ameliorate symptoms.Lyrica was almost inefective for me,but I stay always on low dose even like substitute tool.Never more than 200mg daily.Its silly to replace benzo addiction with opiate.I do not know this would help you,but you could finished in worst situation than before.So my advice is to very slowly tapper valium,than you can switch to some gaba drug for a while and than melatonine or other good supplements.Wish you luck!You need all the patience in the world.Benzo withdrawls are one of worst-total madness

And yes theres a couple antiseizer drugs that you can use to prevent seizers-de
Well it depends on your dose,period of use,metabolism and health status.Valium is long acting benzo so its gold standard to tappering other benzos and alcohol withdrawl.The problem is that too easily can go into valium habbit and addiction.Me personaly toke valium from decades but never go above 10-15mg daily.Quit once for a couple of months after tappering for a while to 5mg and was relatively easy-but this are low doses.As for lyrica and other gaba drugs think that you can use it for a while to ameliorate symptoms.Lyrica was almost inefective for me,but I stay always on low dose even like substitute tool.Never more than 200mg daily.Its silly to replace benzo addiction with opiate.I do not know this would help you,but you could finished in worst situation than before.So my advice is to very slowly tapper valium,than you can switch to some gaba drug for a while and than melatonine or other good supplements.Wish you luck!You need all the patience in the world.Benzo withdrawls are one of worst-total madness

And yes theres a couple antiseizer drugs that you can use to prevent seizers-de
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look up on anti-convulsants. I take Xanax atm but I don't particularly abuse it, I aren't taking a bar every hour or so like some. I take it before bed but then again I do take quite a high dose; 6-8mg.

As for swapping it with opiates, I find it much easier to come off opiates then I do benzos. I have buprenorphine and I find it pretty easy so taper off that, the transfer onto it isn't great though. I've done it enough times to know it's far easier to deal with than benzos. I have an anxiety disorder so it makes my struggle worse for coming off benzos.

In all fairness, if I use Valium I likely won't have seizures coming off it if I do it gradually; my others were from going cold turkey. I plan on getting Valium very soon. I could handle taking 20mg Valium in placement of the Xanax I take at the moment and eventually go down to 10mg before bed. But I don't wanna be on it forever.

I'm aware pregabalin is addictive too, so I'd only take those for no more than a week after my final Valium dose.

Just wanna be able to sleep😖

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look up on anti-convulsants. I take Xanax atm but I don't particularly abuse it, I aren't taking a bar every hour or so like some. I take it before bed but then again I do take quite a high dose; 6-8mg.

As for swapping it with opiates, I find it much easier to come off opiates then I do benzos. I have buprenorphine and I find it pretty easy so taper off that, the transfer onto it isn't great though. I've done it enough times to know it's far easier to deal with than benzos. I have an anxiety disorder so it makes my struggle worse for coming off benzos.

In all fairness, if I use Valium I likely won't have seizures coming off it if I do it gradually; my others were from going cold turkey. I plan on getting Valium very soon. I could handle taking 20mg Valium in placement of the Xanax I take at the moment and eventually go down to 10mg before bed. But I don't wanna be on it forever.

I'm aware pregabalin is addictive too, so I'd only take those for no more than a week after my final Valium dose.

Just wanna be able to sleep😖
Good luck.Its good that you want come off this benzos.6-8mg is a high dose.Me personaly never take more a 1mg daily.But I am opiate addict and benzo on its self are no much trouble for me.As for bupe I dont know.Its good that you can handle it and comming off pretty easy.....but be careful.Just tapper slowly valium-thats the answer.

I can vouch for Lorazepam (Ativan) for the last week or two once you've stopped the Xanax. It's what they gave me in a psychiatric ward and I had been taking clonazepam for years in large doses. But regardless of what benzo you abused(or used) Lorazepam has distinct advantages in that it isn't super fast acting so won't get u high like Valium but has a smooth onset, medium duration of action curve somewhere between Xanax and Valium and little noticable come down (come up??). It's the methadone of benzos in the sense that it really doesn't get you high it just prevents the worst from happening.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to have a look. I'm in the UK to benzos are all something you have to get on the deep web so it could be costly and idk if I've seen lorazepam in pill form available on the deep web (I only order domestic postage as UK border force has gotten tight since Brexit.)

I've never used Methodone but I've used buprenorphine for opiates and they're amazing. The initial transfer onto them is quite hard but it's onl 24 hours but once I'm on them I can taper with relative ease (not a IV user mind you.)

I'll have to keep lorazepam in mind. Also, I don't get any sort of high from Xanax or Valium as it is, they just get rid of my anxiety (to a degree) as I have an anxiety disorder (which makes this all harder.)

I'll look online and see if I can find any lorazepam though, I've already ordered myself 100 Diazepam for the taper so I guess I'll see how that goes for now. If I find it difficult I'll give your suggestion a go, cheers👍

Plus, I take Xanax before bed at about 5-8mg. It is a big dose but only been doing it once a day for a couple of months so far, could be worse. Thanks again 👍

I can vouch for Lorazepam (Ativan) for the last week or two once you've stopped the Xanax. It's what they gave me in a psychiatric ward and I had been taking clonazepam for years in large doses. But regardless of what benzo you abused(or used) Lorazepam has distinct advantages in that it isn't super fast acting so won't get u high like Valium but has a smooth onset, medium duration of action curve somewhere between Xanax and Valium and little noticable come down (come up??). It's the methadone of benzos in the sense that it really doesn't get you high it just prevents the worst from happening.
Switch to xanaxr xr and taper until 0.5mg xr a day. After that taper with diazepam. Anyways, you can take tradozon for sleep too.

Good luck 🧡
Hello,

I don't have access to Xanax XR, well, I do, but I have to purchase it on the deep web (super expensive) as I'm in the UK and Xanax is criminalised here, so I can only get presses (they're good presses mind you & pressed are cheap.)

As for Trazodone, I've used that before for sleep and didn't work. I'm on Mirtazipine now and that doesn't do a thing. It takes a lot for me to sleep, I've known 15mg of Xanax not help me sleep before when my insomnia has gotten bad; I seem to struggle with sleep more than most😖

My body takes a lot to fall asleep, even with zopiclone I need about 25-30mg+ to help me be able to sleep; I can get that but it's expensive & I go through it quick but I may stock up on it for when I'm tapering my last doses of Valium or Lorazepam.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it 👍

Good luck.Its good that you want come off this benzos.6-8mg is a high dose.Me personaly never take more a 1mg daily.But I am opiate addict and benzo on its self are no much trouble for me.As for bupe I dont know.Its good that you can handle it and comming off pretty easy.....but be careful.Just tapper slowly valium-thats the answer.
Thanks, I've just ordered 100 Valium. They're presses but they're from a reliable source and I've had them tested and it is legit Valium, just not pharma (I'm in UK so I can buy pharma Valium, it's just super pricey.)

Yeah it's weird, some people find benzos easier to deal with whilst others struggle more with opiates. I think it's my anxiety that makes benzos harder to deal with.

But thanks again for the info👍

Dont use lorazepam. Diazepam and even klonopin/rivatril is better for taper.
I've heard Clonazepam is a nightmare to taper with from some people. I guess it depends on your biochemistry. I'll give the Valium a go seeing as I've already ordered some now. As for Lorazepam idk if it's available unless I buy in pure powder form and it's hard to dose that stuff.

Dont use lorazepam. Diazepam and even klonopin/rivatril is better for taper.
For me rivotril is fentanyl of benzos.Took only once about 1mg and it hits me hard.Maybe only flunitrazepam can beat it.Have not experience with ativan.My list of benzo use include valium,xanax,clonopine,nitrazepam(that is good for sleep a real hypnotic),flunitrazepam,chlordiazepoxide and nordazepam.Before time here we have nice oldschool barbiturates like phenobarbital(which is the best sleeping pill for me),hexadorm,but is all over now

And yes clonopine(rivotril) are really heavy artilery.Here most of methadone patients eat this like candies.Then in rehabs I saw them with multiple seizures a day even with anticonvulsants.Dangerous stuff is that clonopine

Thanks for the info, I'll have to have a look. I'm in the UK to benzos are all something you have to get on the deep web so it could be costly and idk if I've seen lorazepam in pill form available on the deep web (I only order domestic postage as UK border force has gotten tight since Brexit.)

I've never used Methodone but I've used buprenorphine for opiates and they're amazing. The initial transfer onto them is quite hard but it's onl 24 hours but once I'm on them I can taper with relative ease (not a IV user mind you.)

I'll have to keep lorazepam in mind. Also, I don't get any sort of high from Xanax or Valium as it is, they just get rid of my anxiety (to a degree) as I have an anxiety disorder (which makes this all harder.)

I'll look online and see if I can find any lorazepam though, I've already ordered myself 100 Diazepam for the taper so I guess I'll see how that goes for now. If I find it difficult I'll give your suggestion a go, cheers👍

Plus, I take Xanax before bed at about 5-8mg. It is a big dose but only been doing it once a day for a couple of months so far, could be worse. Thanks again 👍
You using it to knock yourself out every night. You have work your way out of that one slowly. Your sleep cycle is really f****** right now in that you're really suppressing all of them Cycles and going straight into Blotto unconsciousness. Think of all the dreams you have stored up. I would try initiating some cannabis as you start to reduce the Xanax slo w l y.

Also I probably made this joke before but you could consider asking your wife to whack you over the head with the business end of a cricket bat as you get down a little bit on your dose.

IMO diazepam is more addictive than any of the others. Although it's intra-individual I love it because it gets me p h u k e d UP

Did I mention cannabis? Although they call it something different over there. Wacky backy

Thanks, I've just ordered 100 Valium. They're presses but they're from a reliable source and I've had them tested and it is legit Valium, just not pharma (I'm in UK so I can buy pharma Valium, it's just super pricey.)

Yeah it's weird, some people find benzos easier to deal with whilst others struggle more with opiates. I think it's my anxiety that makes benzos harder to deal with.

But thanks again for the info👍
Yes for sure quitting benzo is not an easy thing to do.if you are taking them for a long time

@Nas47 Try some temazepam later. Thats its basically nitrazepam. 40mg temazepam with 10mg nitrazepam is like a holy shit!
You're weird (but nice)

Really big cock. I'm a little bit obsessed with it. Only because I spent so much time photoshopping it. Can you become gay from photoshopping

Cooooock!!!

No I'm not gay. I never even sucked a cock sober before. And if I did I'd be worried about one that was uncircumcised. The taste. Smeggy..

You using it to knock yourself out every night. You have work your way out of that one slowly. Your sleep cycle is really f****** right now in that you're really suppressing all of them Cycles and going straight into Blotto unconsciousness. Think of all the dreams you have stored up. I would try initiating some cannabis as you start to reduce the Xanax slo w l y.

Also I probably made this joke before but you could consider asking your wife to whack you over the head with the business end of a cricket bat as you get down a little bit on your dose.

IMO diazepam is more addictive than any of the others. Although it's intra-individual I love it because it gets me p h u k e d UP

Did I mention cannabis? Although they call it something different over there. Wacky backy
As I believe I stated, I've always had bad insomnia anyway and my sleep has always been all over the place. I went a bit wild and off the rails a while ago and used Xanax to help me sleep on the comedown but found myself using too long and then my body got reliant on them. People that are able to just lay down and sleep should consider themselves blessed. Even when I'm clean on everything and working out 2-3 hours in the gym every day it takes me hours to fall asleep. I never had a sleep cycle to begin with due to this as I'd always be tossing and turning until the early hours, having gotten about 4 hours sleep plus or minus. Sleep has always been an issue for me. This is why this makes this much more of a problem for me than usual. Plus, the Xanax doesn't knock me out straight away, it still takes me an hour or so to fall asleep. I could take more to knock me out but I don't want to be taking 30mg of Xanax. Years ago I used to have doses up to 80mg plus or minus so my tolerance is much higher than most. 8mg for me doesn't really help me sleep tbf it just gets rid of the anxiety that keeps me awake.

Also, I'd smoke weed if I could but it sends me into full blown panic attacks. I used to smoke it but I can't anymore. Weed is a great alternative and I wish I could use it, but I can't as all it does is fuck me up.

P.S. Don't have wife