• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam vs Valium vs Clonazepam

hmmm, valium is definitely the best with opiates, then comes xanax then kp because klonopin is hard to time with opiates and i can't get the peaks to synchronize...but i love all benzos; i dont have a favorite benzo because each one is unique

^^ Your chart is wrong, sorry buddy. I just replied to you in another thread where you listed this chart which you just made up yourself.

Clonazepam is absolutely NOT 2x more potent than alprazolam. They are equipotent, meaning 1 mg clonaz = 1 mg alpraz (which both equal 10 mg diazepam). In fact, alprazolam is very very (and I mean very, very) slightly more potent - though the difference is negligable. That is by weight (mg for mg).

As far as power and strength, you are wrong again. Clonazepam is NOT AT ALL "much stronger" than alprazolam. Alprazolam is a more powerful sedative at equal doses, while clonazepam is a slightly stronger anxiolytic at equal doses. They are more or less, equal. Of all the anxiolytic benzos, these two are likely the strongest anxiolytics (though bromazepam can give both a run for their money, despite it being less potent by weight - remember though, potency means nothing, its the strength of the actual drug).

The hypnotics (triazolam, nitrazepam, flunitrazepam, temazepam, midazolam, flurazepam, flutoprazepam, nimetazepam, and brotizolam) are all more powerful than alpraz, clonaz, and all other anxiolytic benzos - be it for sedation, anxiety relief, anticonvulsive action, etc. These are the "Corleone family" within the families of benzos.

This is one of the funniest comments I've ever seen. LoL. You're actually saying that XANAX (alprazolam) is "much more sedating" than CLONAZEPAM?
You are WAYYYYYYYYY off on that one. Haha. Maybe the generic version of your alprazolam is sedating, but try the real BRAND Xanax, and it takes away bad thoughts and has a mentally calming effect, stimulating even. Alprazolam(real xanax, not generic) at 2mg makes one talkative, less inhibited, takes away worry, just as a panic medicine should.
Clonazepam is an anti-siezure medicine, and an anti-convulsant (UNLIKE ALPRAZOLAM, which is strictly a PANIC DISORDER medicine, taking away worry with just the slightest bodily sedation).
2mg of Clonazepam and I am sleeping for 12 hours, with a long after affect, and depression...and Clonazepam is much more sedating, as it is synthesized from Nitrazepam (a SLEEPING PILL)!!! LoL. Real Xanax is not sedating in any way, though it is calming. But the generic versions of xanax do make me a little sleepy. =D
Basically, Clonazepam is I would say at least 5x more of a sedative than Alprazolam. I dont even feel like Clonazepam takes away my anxiety, it kind of just makes you fuzzy headed and sleepy. Also gives me major stomach pain. It will also make u depressed more than any other benzo!!

It doesn't matter whether its generic or brand name its the same active ingredient. Also, all benzos have the same basic effects, just to varying degrees. Personally, I prefer alprazolam I find it has a much more rapid onset than clonazepam and about equal to that of diazepam.

About switching between benzos one way to do it is to follow the guide in the ashton manual found here . It will help yuo find the safest most comfortable method to transition between benzos.

I have clonazepam drops which kick in VERY fast. If you have the tabs, put them under your tongue for faster absorption.

This.

Clonazepam sublingually is nearly twice as potent as oral and
just as potent as nasal route for me.

For me,Valium is most euphoric and good for anxiety.Prolly my fav but it takes a little more.
Clonazepam is okay sedation wise but gives great anxiety relief.
Also when I try to up the dosage I start to get amnesia.
Xanax is super sedating but I find it lacks euphoria and sometimes makes me forget stuff too.Kicks in faster than the other two but also wears off faster than the other two too.

Last edited:
Funny (just about everything is about now...) I am scripted diazapam and have been taking it regularly for at least a year and a half. I usually abuse for a time and cut back over the course fo my three month prescription. This past time I just abused a bit too much and had to fess up to my therapist that there was no way I would be able to make the script last until I was up for a refill. I had a 5 day gap. Originally my therapist was going to call the pharmacy and try to override, but my pharmacy is rather strict and I take many scripted controlled subs so I already get looks. I asked her to please just prescribe something to last me the five days and then I would just fill my regular script. She wrote me for clonazepam. Wow, what a difference. At first I didn't think I felt anything, but when I got up off the couch after taking just 4 mgs, I felt it throughout my body, and it was awesome. Nothing like diazapam, which I have no problem with generally. Needless to say I took another 2 mgs right away. Just off the clonazepam, without my beloved opiates or my Ambien or even my gabapentin booster. I felt fucking amazing! Haven't had a buzz like this from a benzo in a long time. So, I now have to revise my benzo preferences: clonazapam>aprazolam>diazapam. I have an appointment on Friday and I am hoping to trade in the diazapam script in for clonazepam. Keeping my fingers crossed! I've just loaded my nightly dose of opiates but am holding off on the Ambien because i I don't want to get too crazy mixing up stuff even though I do it with diazapam all the time, and frankly, I think I'd rather take another one of these clonazepams because everything is a laugh riot! Great stuff!

I'm not sure this guy understands. ^^^him. but that's it. Once you have been on one for months any different one usually feels better. Lots of arguing over nothing regarding benzos. My favorite is temazepam.

like many others though, clonazepam has a "ceiling effect". Like I have taken 40mg. feels like 6mg. Right now prescribed 2mg alpraz 30mg temaz.

I'm not a guy! Anyway, you're right, I did consider that I had been taking diaz for so long something like xanax or klonipin would feel different, but I didn't know *how* different because it's been a long time on diaz, I haven't had any xanax in a good while (though miss it sometimes, good nods with near any opiate)... But I did notice that ceiling effect you spoke of. Big drawback, as I wound up taking the other pill with not much different in feeling, and I thought shit, the pill was wasted. And I'm wondering how the different feel will really last, if I ask for a script she'll write for three months, then I'm stuck. Better to have a guaranteed three month script for diaz. Still love the diazapam more, I guess.

^^ Your chart is wrong, sorry buddy. I just replied to you in another thread where you listed this chart which you just made up yourself.

Clonazepam is absolutely NOT 2x more potent than alprazolam. They are equipotent, meaning 1 mg clonaz = 1 mg alpraz (which both equal 10 mg diazepam). In fact, alprazolam is very very (and I mean very, very) slightly more potent - though the difference is negligable. That is by weight (mg for mg).

As far as power and strength, you are wrong again. Clonazepam is NOT AT ALL "much stronger" than alprazolam. Alprazolam is a more powerful sedative at equal doses, while clonazepam is a slightly stronger anxiolytic at equal doses. They are more or less, equal. Of all the anxiolytic benzos, these two are likely the strongest anxiolytics (though bromazepam can give both a run for their money, despite it being less potent by weight - remember though, potency means nothing, its the strength of the actual drug).

The hypnotics (triazolam, nitrazepam, flunitrazepam, temazepam, midazolam, flurazepam, flutoprazepam, nimetazepam, and brotizolam) are all more powerful than alpraz, clonaz, and all other anxiolytic benzos - be it for sedation, anxiety relief, anticonvulsive action, etc. These are the "Corleone family" within the families of benzos. ;)

Um, yeah, that chart was way off lol.

30mg Temazepam ~ 1mg Xanax
1mg Clonazepam ~ 1mg Xanax
22.5mg (roughly) Flurazepam ~ 1mg Xanax
7.5-15mg Midazolam (oral, not IV) ~ 1mg Xanax
3mg (roughly) Lorazepam ~ 1mg Xanax
15-20mg Diazepam ~ 1mg Xanax

All above are JUST IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE. Not an official chart, not taken from another site, so please NOBODY rely on my own little chart. Just listing how each drug compared in my own experience to each other in terms of potency. And demonstrating that it's stupid to just use you're own experience when giving out info that is presented as factual. Someone could die!

ETA: Well, for generalized anxiety Clonzepam is best in terms of not being as dependence-causing, and for its long half-life. It's quite potent, but not as relaxing as other benzos, and definitely doesn't give you any kind of "rush" like Alprazolam (due to it's quick peak plasma and short half-life) or Diazepam (due to it's rapid absorption by fat cells, where it is stored - Valium is highly lipophilic).

Alprazolam is useful mostly for a different type of anxiety: panic attacks and acute anxiety situations, like if you're giving a presentation and you know you get crippling panic attacks you could take 0.5mg before the speech. It is also useful for insomnia if you tend to wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble going back to sleep - it's short half-life makes it a good back up to have on hand if it makes you sleepy, and you know you won't oversleep like you might with say, Temazepam 30mg.

Diazepam is my personal favorite, but it's incredibly long-acting, has a ton of active metabolites (which then further have their own active metabolites, etc). It's the best muscle relaxer of all the benzos (in my personal experience from the above ones I've tried). It isn't great for panic attacks because it's pretty weak (20mg at once makes me drowsy - usually not enough to fall asleep but I've got super severe insomnia so that is just a personal genetic quirk I suppose).

For generalized anxiety, something like Clonazepam is safer. Diazepam has been shown to have serious and significant cognitive side-effects in clinical studies (to be fair - the study was of addicts who used Diazepam typically to either come down off meth or coke, or in combination with opiates. Also, their typical doses were quite high and would never be prescribed by a halfway competent physician).

I'm lucky enough to get all three (Xanax, Klonopin, Valium) prescribed (by one doctor, even!). But, I do have severe issues. Severe Panic Disorder, severe Agoraphobia, ADHD, Major Depression, Severe Social Anxiety (I think you guys get the idea that my anxiety is severe by now, lol). And bad insomnia as I stated earlier.

Thus, I get Xanax for acute panic attacks; Klonopin for general anxiety/panic attack prevention, and Valium as a muscle relaxer for a severe back injury.

I don't get euphoria with any benzo, just anxiety relief. I don't get why people would take these for fun...but I am a statistical aberration with my anxiety issues, so I suppose that's why I wouldn't get it. Closest it gets would be with Valium, even then, I can't fathom taking it just to "get high". There's smoking for that. :)

Last edited:
Benzo's effect each person differently I find it almost depends on the persons personality type. In my opinion valium over xanax or k-pins any day, but a nice combo is valium + half the normal dose of klonopin you would normally take recreational. That's just my opinion, your realy shouldn;t mix benzo's together, I have just been on them for a long time and the half life of valium made my tolerance. shoot through the roof. But take it slow, some people say valium sucks, others love it. I find it way more euphoric then xanax or k-pins, if you even consider xanax to have any euphoria.

hmmm, valium is definitely the best with opiates, then comes xanax then kp because klonopin is hard to time with opiates and i can't get the peaks to synchronize...but i love all benzos; i dont have a favorite benzo because each one is unique

exactly, each benzo acts a little different and this will be different for different people. Like the people who eat a few mg of xanax and say they don't feel anything but at the same time cant walk straight. What ive noticed with benzo use is people either love them or hate them pretty much. I guess some people actually don't get that sensational sense of relief.

Yeah I got your PM.

But wow, you have a pretty low tolerance - i wish I could just take 45 mg of temazepam to get the effect I desire.

I have quite a tolerance, so 150-170 mg of temazepam gets me right where I want to be. With nitrazepam i have to take about 70-80 mg, 4-5 mg with triazolam, and alprazolam about 7 mg.

Diazepam is pretty much crap, I can take about 130-150 mg and the effects aren't as nice as any of the above.

I don't get that you need only 80mg of nitrazepam to equal 170 of temazepam which is far stronger are you sure.

Diazipam is not crap the idea is to mix it with the moggys or better still temazis so the short temazi effect lasts a lot longer.What I want to know is , is klonapin as good as diazipam and is alprozam any good to diazis. And as for all these charts all drugs are prescibed with different mg so no point comparing just say for example 2.5 mg klonapin is the same as 1 diazi 10mg to keep things simple. Everone here either hasn't tried these drugs or contrdicting one another which makes me think no-one knows anything just thinking out loud. I'm from Scotland and the one thing everyone knows is we like our downers. No-one in the whole of Scotland argues we have a choice of three 1 temazepam the strongest as it is a sleeping pill 2 nitrazepam which is what a doctor will give before moving you up to temazepam 3 diazepam which lasts the longest that is fact no-one would argue with that. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERSONAL FAVES EVERYONE WANTS TEMAZIS BUT BECAUSE THEY WEAR OFF WE PREFER DIAZIS CHEAPER. SO CAN ANYONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY TRIED KLONIPIN AND XANAX AND DIAZIS TELL ME WHICH IS MORE OF A BUZZ AND WHICH LASTS LONGER WITHOUT READING OUT OF MEDICAL GOOGLE PAGES PLEASE.

Last edited:
everyone says valium is the best for stress and anxiety but i find oxezapam and rohypnol to be better for treating my problems is it all in my head or am on to something? and what is xanax anyway? at this rate i will just go back to self medicating with alchohol and weed which I dont want but I would rather fell nothing than feel like shit, can anyone recomend a tranq that can relax, buzz me and help cure my night terrors?

All tranqs stop working soon enough. Xanax is my favorite by far because it hits you fast but k-pins are the smoothest. Valium will just knock your ass out IMO. So xanax for euphoria, kpin for practical, and valium for sleep...

^ I have been on benzos and other sedatives for 7 years and they all still work. I haven't increased my dose of Klonopin in 5 years.

As far as getting high on benzos is concerned, no dose of temazepam or any other benzo will cause any euphoria whatsoever.

I had night terrors a few years ago and tried basically all the newer sleep meds, otc, herbal, and benzos for sleep and nothing really helped. I would suggest going to a counselor or a psychiatrist about your night terrors because they truly are horrific.

you have to look at the potency and half life. im prescribed alll the benzo's but i dont abuse them i take them depending on the situation. 1 valium is the weakest by far in potency. Next to librium. Which means that for ever 10mg's of Valium or librium you would need to take .5 of the xanax, klonopin, or ativan. Those 3 are the most potent. So if you were taking 2 bars a day of xanax which is 4mgs. you would need to take 80mgs of vailume to equal that dose. And same with klonopin. Now ativan and xanax are the worse. Because they are in the top 3 in potency but have the shortest half life elimination. Where as a dose of valium last's from 100-200 hours in the system xanax is elimated in 6-12 hours max. which causes withdrawl symptoms even between doses, same with ativan. thats why they become so addictive because people start feeling mild withdrawls so they take a litttle piece ect. ect. And than there dose is up to 10 mgs a day. Now klonopin is as potent but has the longer half life of 50-100 hours. So its reccommened that when one is trying to detox from a benzo, that they switch over to one that is longer acting to lesson withdrawl sysmptoms. Klonopin is good to mis with adderall and stims ect. because of the body buzz. To knock you out you would take the xanax xr 3mg tablets chew up 2 of them 6mgs. your ass will be knocked out. a high dose of ativan causes hallucinations thats best to take for panic attacks and anxiety. But vailume sucks its weak and really causes no euphoria but thats comming from me who has been on xanax and klonopin for years at high doses. either way dont abuse them. because if your doctor or doctor's refuse to write anymore and think your abusing them your screwed litterally you will die man im talking seizures. so be careful and always have a back up plan and spare pills just incase your forced to detox yourself before you hit the E.R

As far as getting high on benzos is concerned, no dose of temazepam or any other benzo will cause any euphoria whatsoever.

Hahaha what the hell are you talking about dude? I get euphoria and I know I'm not the only one. Xanies will have me exercising, working hard, and feeling good. And good luck with the pins I'm glad they work for you.

First, I HATE CLONAZEPAM with all my heart. Yesterday I cant sleep, popped 1mg, an hour after, nothing. pop another 1mg - an hour after - nothing - pop another - an hour after - nothing... then I completly blackout. Couldnt got to school because of the fuckin awful sleep that I got the past night. Today I feel like total shit, sluggish, lightheaded, slighty depressed... I loved zolpidem, very fun but sometimes very atrocious, triazolam was great too, total bliss, but fucked 7 months of my beautiful life. Screw benzs, im stick with my good ol coca and sweet opiates.