• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction All Drugs - Short Half-Life vs. Long Half-Life Drugs

I would just point out that, regarding benzodiazepines, story is not that straightforward. There are active metabolites that play major role in their therapeutic effect.

Take diazepam for instance. Its active metabolites are not only nordiazepam (main), but also temazepam (Restoril) and oxazepam (Serax). They all act on the CNS and are important if one is talking about effects of diazepam.

Clonazepam, on the other hand has no active metabolites.

This is not a point about half life per se, but it is an important point.

Anegdotaly - when my wife who is benzo naive (uses 3-4 times a year) takes diazepam, she feels effects of sedation and muscle relaxation the folowing day. When she takes equipotent dose of alprazolam, she does not feel a thing the following day. That implies that things are more complicated and that one benzo can have various half lifes and potency when it comes to various subunits on GABAa receptor, compared to another.

My 2 cents.

I would just point out that, regarding benzodiazepines, story is not that straightforward. There are active metabolites that play major role in their therapeutic effect.

Take diazepam for instance. Its active metabolites are not only nordiazepam (main), but also temazepam (Restoril) and oxazepam (Serax). They all act on the CNS and are important if one is talking about effects of diazepam.

Anegdotaly - when my wife who is benzo naive (uses 3-4 times a year) takes diazepam, she feels effects of sedation and muscle relaxation the folowing day. When she takes equipotent dose of alprazolam, she does not feel a thing the following day. That implies that things are more complicated and that one benzo can have various half lifes and potency when it comes to various subunits on GABAa receptor, compared to another.

My 2 cents.

When I take Xanax, which I only take maybe once or twice a month, I know I can feel “something” the next day. Like remnants of the drug are still there the next day. That’s how it feels anyway. I’m absolutely more calm the day after I take Xanax than I would be if I’d taken nothing. Can’t explain it though. Maybe some of the brains on here will have an idea. I suppose it is subtle enough that it could be psychological but I’m fairly certainI feel “something”. I notice it the instant I open my eyes in the morning.

Actually Benzodiazepines cause suicidal ideation sometimes.
RIP Chris Cornell

Kurt Cobain also downed a bottle of Valium before he shot himself
(And YES, it was suicide, live with it )
I’ve always had the feeling that people who take benzos before suicide do so to reduce their survival instinct that would stop them from going through with it. It’s what I’ve seen mentioned on certain forums and advised.

I’ve always had the feeling that people who take benzos before suicide do so to reduce their survival instinct that would stop them from going through with it. It’s what I’ve seen mentioned on certain forums and advised.

Or to yano die without anxiety

When I take Xanax, which I only take maybe once or twice a month, I know I can feel “something” the next day

I believe that you can feel something from Xanax. But I bet that if you would take 10mg of Valium instead of 1mg Xanax that you would have hangover that would be very noticable. Especially regarding sedation and muscle relaxation. That is one of the reasons why I do not agree with "Xanax is longer acting than Valium". Xanax may be, in equipotent dosage, longer acting regarding anti anxiety effect and even possibly regarding hypnotic effect, but diazepam is surely longer acting regarding sedative, muscle relaxing and anti seizure effects.

This is all based on my experience and layman's knowledge about how benzodiazepines affect body so take it with a big reserve. Besides, brain and whole nervous system is so complex that almost all knowledge is more informative speculation, not definitive knowledge how drugs and body really interact.

Wow, that was an rant 🤣

So say one was to take 1.5mg approx 8 hours ago how much would I have in my system now approx?

it will weAr off within 12 hours - that is all that matters

That is the active half life. The plasma half life is unpredictable. Average 30-40 hours ranges from 12-60 hours, through it is irrelevant Hope that helps

it will weAr off within 12 hours - that is all that matters

That is the active half life. The plasma half life is unpredictable. Average 30-40 hours ranges from 12-60 hours, through it is irrelevant Hope that helps
Thank you it did.

Interesting. This actually makes more sense to me. You’d think suicidal ideations would have more to do with serotonin which, as far as I know, benzos don’t mess with.

Last edited:
I believe that you can feel something from Xanax. But I bet that if you would take 10mg of Valium instead of 1mg Xanax that you would have hangover that would be very noticable. Especially regarding sedation and muscle relaxation. That is one of the reasons why I do not agree with "Xanax is longer acting than Valium". Xanax may be, in equipotent dosage, longer acting regarding anti anxiety effect and even possibly regarding hypnotic effect, but diazepam is surely longer acting regarding sedative, muscle relaxing and anti seizure effects.

This is all based on my experience and layman's knowledge about how benzodiazepines affect body so take it with a big reserve. Besides, brain and whole nervous system is so complex that almost all knowledge is more informative speculation, not definitive knowledge how drugs and body really interact.

Wow, that was an rant 🤣
I wouldn’t call that a rant, it’s all related and relevant. That is my experience as well, that Valium lasts longer than Xanax, only based on personal experience. I didn’t realize that it’s possible for drug A to last longer in some areas than drug B and shorter than drug B in other areas. Kinda seems obvious now but that didn’t even occur to me. I simply compared their half lives. And I just learned about bioavailability. Damn I love this forum. 😎👍

Last edited:
Interesting. This actually makes more sense to me. You’d think suicidal ideations would have more to do with serotonin which, as far as I know, benzos don’t mess with.
Klonopin Does in fact interact with 5 HT receptors

Yes Klonopin is a Serotonin antagonist. That is what makes it unique , along with its potency and long duration

Clonazolam may do this as well, to a lesser extent

I wouldn’t call that a rant, it’s all related and relevant. That is my experience as well, that Valium lasts longer than Xanax, only based on personal experience. I didn’t realize that it’s possible for drug A to last longer in some areas than drug B and shorter than drug B in other areas. Kinda seems obvious now but that didn’t even occur to me. I simply compared their half lives. And I just learned about bioavailability. Damn I love this forum. 😎👍

Xanax last longer than Valium in most people. The only reason you can get a hangover from Valium (diazepam) is because it wears off SO FAST that it is like alcohol. iV Valium is even worse, 1.5-5 hours is what is last IIRC(I know 1.5 hours is the low number) and it is not much higher by mouth

😁 glad you love the forum @Shant

Everyone shoot me any Benzodiazepine questions you have

Lorne out 😎

The only reason you can get a hangover from Valium (diazepam) is because it wears off SO FAST that it is like alcohol.

As a layman and a person who has been on benzodiazepines for 20 years - I agree to disagree. :)

Sorry if this post is a bit of a mess but it's got good info everyone should read!

I’ve been taking 1200 to 1800mg all at once. So does that mean I’m wasting it? But I only do it once or twice a week

I take 1200MG of GABAPentin spaced 1 Hour apart don't forget that eating food increases absorption too! I eat crackers and take a Tylenol 1 OTC which has 8MG of Codeine, 15MG of Caffeine, and 300mg Tylenol per pill and u only need to produce a small amount of Codeine to make your body produce a small amount of Morphine like 30mg of codeine which will from experience and research cause a large increased gabapentin absorption up to 44% plus 250MG of Naproxen can increase it by up to 15% I've read.

ANYONE ON OPIOIDS DO NOT TAKE GABAPentin UNTIL A MINIMUM of 2 hours after taking your Methadone for example or Morphine or the absorption will be reduced by 50% read this Article also said it researched Hydrocodone but only increased up to 14% gabapentin absorption and Morphine up to 44% for up to 4 hours after taking u can fully absorb any Opioid you take could potentially increase absorption to some degree since only these 2 were studied.

That article I urge ANYONE taking GABAPentin to THOROUGHLY READ THAT page which is the only thing I could quickly find on google that thoroughly explains how food and morphine and splitting doses apart increases absorption.

A LOT of people don't know and are uninformed that GABAPentin can and will decrease the absorption of any and all Opioids if u don't wait 2 hours or longer and it wil still potentiate the GABAPentin for up to 4 hours after taking your Opioid! Only Morphine and Hydrocodone were studied and they got reduced by roughly 50%.

I remember a blue light user posting how he was taking gabapentin and the Methadone Clinic said he had no methadone in his system and he blamed the gabapentin but I can't see how it would decrease the absorption of methadone to the point where Methadone of all Opioids is undetectable.

OH, I forgot to mention I also read but can't find the information about how same as Opioids... Benzodiazepine absorption is decreased if taken at the same time as GABApentin. But considering I've googled that and can't find any information I can't say 100% for a fact that's correct info.

Last edited:

My 2 cents.

Your right about complexity however I would like to point out that Temazepam and oxazepam are less potent than Valium and are produced in such small amounts they do not have noticeable effects unless you take huge doses

Nordazepam on the other hand is very active, though it is considered a partial agonist

I wouldn't sell yourself short here! I read your posts (especially those benzo. related as it appears to be common interest) and seems to me you're doing JUST fine!

Thank You So Much! I needed that today

My IQ was so not that high though high enough I should have more successful than I was although they say beyond 120 other factors account for success so yada yada

Seriously though Thank You

Last edited: