• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction All Drugs - Short Half-Life vs. Long Half-Life Drugs

I believe that you can feel something from Xanax. But I bet that if you would take 10mg of Valium instead of 1mg Xanax that you would have hangover that would be very noticable. Especially regarding sedation and muscle relaxation. That is one of the reasons why I do not agree with "Xanax is longer acting than Valium". Xanax may be, in equipotent dosage, longer acting regarding anti anxiety effect and even possibly regarding hypnotic effect, but diazepam is surely longer acting regarding sedative, muscle relaxing and anti seizure effects.

This is all based on my experience and layman's knowledge about how benzodiazepines affect body so take it with a big reserve. Besides, brain and whole nervous system is so complex that almost all knowledge is more informative speculation, not definitive knowledge how drugs and body really interact.

Wow, that was an rant 🤣

Actually Valium s Anti-Epileptic effects are very short acting; that is why it has been pretty much replaced with Lorazepam (Ativan) which last several hours, with a medium-relatively Long duration

However Alprazolam/Xanax has no appreciable anti-convulsant effects at thereaputic doses so you still have a point

My mother is RX'ed almost as many Klonopin as me for various problems (I get them for anxiety, OCD irretractable and High Functioning Autism) however she also gets 2mg Xanax per night for sleep!

I believe the hypnotic effects linger longer with Xanax, no doubt

@dalpat077 Thank You Again I erased my IQ out of embarrassment however I will say now that is was a little over 140 when DFCS tested it, so high enough they strongly encouraged school, yet wanted me to sign myself back in until I was 21, and I did not make it till 21😒

It was like having your spirit drained - Of course right now our power is off, and this rural area I was basically forced to move into has 1 fuckin crew working in our county, which is sparsely populated yet is about 350 SQ miles (over 800 KM IIRC) so it has been off for about 8 hours yet still no estimated cut off time. And my family was too ignorant too get supplies like WATER and bottled or Canned coffee even though they knew well in advance and I would have paid

Agh this is the wrong place to bitch about this just when I cannot charge my Android to play my Final Fantasy (or Chrono Trigger) because someone lost the car charger and going through this with even Mild Autism (Aspergers) is just, it gets under your skin

Good day to all

Hey @dalpat077 if you want send me a friend request or PM; you have your profile restricted

Or do not, it is your choice obviously - Just be happy if you have power and/or live in a city

@Lorne???

Sorry for reviving a thread, but wanted to add some data. I stumbled upon this data while I was, once again, researching info about diazepam. It says: "Diazepam is long-lasting with a duration of action of more than 12 hours.".

Is this some false data? Once again, I am a layman with only experience and this kind of reading, but this is straight from the paper. Maybe they are also wrong, but I had to bring it up, as I feel it is important for this thread.

Link to article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537022/#_NBK537022_pubdet_

There is contradictory information about diazepam (Valium)

The fact is, it is a rapid acting medication, which with acute dosing wears off quickly despite a slow plasma elimination

That is why Ativan has replaced it as anti-Epileptic medicine of choice
@Lorne???

Sorry for reviving a thread, but wanted to add some data. I stumbled upon this data while I was, once again, researching info about diazepam. It says: "Diazepam is long-lasting with a duration of action of more than 12 hours.".

Is this some false data? Once again, I am a layman with only experience and this kind of reading, but this is straight from the paper. Maybe they are also wrong, but I had to bring it up, as I feel it is important for this thread.

Link to article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537022/#_NBK537022_pubdet_