Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lock a Heroin user in a room for 7 days, they'll feel like shit but once they get past the withdrawal, they'll be fine. Put a Heavy alcoholic or a benzo addict in a room for 7 days, the chances are they would die of the withdrawals

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Back in 2008, I drank heavily almost every day for like 6 months straight, but it was only at night. I also did other drugs, such as benzos and weed. I never once craved it or felt the need to drink after waking up, I actually found it kinda repulsive and boring as a drug (but drank due to partying, etc.).....Fast forward to the present, I have been addicted to opiates heavily and am currently sober, and have not really been drinking that much between 2008 and now. But over the past month, I have been drinking very heavy every night (about a case of beer + a half of a fifth every night) because of boredom and to help me sleep.

I wake up and everything is fine, until about 6 hours after I wake up.....I start to feel a little hot and sweaty, get very subtle chills, and I end up drinking around 6pm everyday to make myself feel better, and continue throughout the night. So my question is, am I experiencing alcohol withdrawals, and why now and never before? Could my past addiction to opiates have something to do with it? I mean, what I feel is nothing close to opiate withdrawals. Just kinda sweaty and jittery, nothing major at all. I just thought that it wasn't possible for me to become an alcoholic since I have been drinking heavily since about 2006 and never had these symptoms before.

Mate if you were that bad no offense but you'd be up at 6am in the morning wanting drink, so no i don't think your an alky and as for your past opiate use, thats not going to effect your alcohol intake

BIGsherm7272, more pronounced alcohol w/d is more likely about getting older than about having an opiate history. DTs and the worst alcohol w/d can happen with younger people but become more likely the older we get.

If you decide to quit the best choice is medically supervised detox if you are having serious symptoms. 2nd best choice is to taper down if you can do it. Even if formal detox isn't available a Doctor mat be able to prescribe something to make the transition to no alcohol safer.

thanks for the response guys......I just didn't know if my symptoms were the start of alcoholism, or merely placebo.......I also didn't know if my opiate addiction made me more susceptible to becoming addicted to alcohol......I am only 21 btw..........maybe it could just be other factors such as not eating right (mainly due to alcohol), and depression.

If you are having physical withdrawal symptoms, even minor, upon waking until your first drink it is an easy conclusion that you are alcohol dependent and will almost certainly become more dependent if use continues with that same intensity. Alcoholic means different things to different people but almost everyone would call the level of use you describe a health problem & likely an impediment to living well. I'd look over the stickied resources thread towards the top of this forum & see if anything there seems like a source of help you might be willing to engage.

Once again i'm drinking too much right now, and have had a heap of codeine also, all becuase i'm getting off Diazepam. Sometimes I honestly believe I am doing more harm getting off benzos since I'm drinking a heap more and taking codeine, etc, etc. Anyone else been in this situation? I guess it is hard when benzos and alcohol have "similar" effects, although to me benzos are much better than alcohol IMO.

Lock a Heroin user in a room for 7 days, they'll feel like shit but once they get past the withdrawal, they'll be fine. Put a Heavy alcoholic or a benzo addict in a room for 7 days, the chances are they would die of the withdrawals

I tend to agree with you there :\

I barely feel benzo's now. I think Xanax would be a nice buzz, but i've only done Diazepam, Temazepam and Nitrazepam. I got the best hit off the Nitrazepam, probably because i Done a big dose and mixed it with booze.

^ Yeah same here. I have to take at least 30mg of Diazepam to notice anything (like my tollerance to all other benzos). If only benzo tollerance could change as quick as alcohol tollerance...if only.

Currently drunk once again, but am planning to goto sleep asap to avoid the dreaded fkn hangover:|

After 4.5 years u still get anxiety? And only around drunk people?:(
Congrats on the 4.5 years.

I had anxiety before I started drinking.

I guess the anxiety stems from having an outward view of how I used to be when wasted. Of course I still deal with anxiety in general as many of us do, it's just very consistent when I'm around people who are drunk.

:D

Haven't been drinking ever since I started working on an RBS (Reflected best self) You would be suprised how much of a good person you are without the booze. It's quite questionable as to why you would want to ruin the good image of yourself with something bad.

RBS? Is this like visualising yourself when you have been at your best? Or the best you could be in the future?

I had a month off from drinking but then got back into it again afterwards. I have decided I am not going to drink by myself on week nights. That is my goal for now.

I have a question I hope someone can answer. Back in 2008, I drank heavily almost every day for like 6 months straight, but it was only at night. I also did other drugs, such as benzos and weed. I never once craved it or felt the need to drink after waking up, I actually found it kinda repulsive and boring as a drug (but drank due to partying, etc.).....Fast forward to the present, I have been addicted to opiates heavily and am currently sober, and have not really been drinking that much between 2008 and now. But over the past month, I have been drinking very heavy every night (about a case of beer + a half of a fifth every night) because of boredom and to help me sleep.

I wake up and everything is fine, until about 6 hours after I wake up.....I start to feel a little hot and sweaty, get very subtle chills, and I end up drinking around 6pm everyday to make myself feel better, and continue throughout the night. So my question is, am I experiencing alcohol withdrawals, and why now and never before? Could my past addiction to opiates have something to do with it? I mean, what I feel is nothing close to opiate withdrawals. Just kinda sweaty and jittery, nothing major at all. I just thought that it wasn't possible for me to become an alcoholic since I have been drinking heavily since about 2006 and never had these symptoms before.

sounds just like my situation. I recently terminated a long-term opiate addiction and now find myself over-drinking on most nights, just like I did in '07 and '08. I'm 21 too. and I wake up with a lot of those same feelings, but I think the physical symptoms (and the psychological ones too) are related to the opiate cessation, perhaps some form of "PAWS" as they call it. how recently did you kick?

Well once again, if you look at my last 4 or 5 posts, I cannot even remember typing them due to my drinking. My easy memory loss from alcohol nowadays worries me abit (my typing seems to be fine due to me being able to be much more drunk at the time I beleive). I think I can put it down to a combination of slowly coming off years of benzo use, a new antidepressant kicking in and the drinks. Looks like i'm heading the same way tonight now, after being able to go last night without a drink :\

Last edited:
Time to pass out,. I got told someone who I worked with for 5 uears passed away from cancer, so.....me....drunk

about two months without a drink. i have been smoking lots this week though. have had several powerful, near relapse cravings recently. fortunately i've come to my senses before waking up with the hangover :p

need a bit of help, saw the docs today im withdrawing quite badly, shaking and sweating, they just told me to keep drinking until i can get refered to a special unit or something, i had a litre of vodka last night, police were called to my house by my mum as i got aggressive. Im severely craving a drink right now but dont want to drink around my mum and make her upset :( She heard the docs say i should not cold turkey but i told her i was. Bah i think im gonna have to just sit in bed for 3-4 days sweating this shit out.

any advice would be appreciated. I did get told i could taper but im not sure how that works ive done that with valium (used to be a heavy benzo user). Im also only 19.

thanks

bigbrown, a taper or supervised detox has been suggested to you by medical folks. they have tons of good reason for suggesting this. if your home life or resources make a self-taper impossible I suggest calling the docs or similar professionals and letting them know your situation. Cold turkey is to dangerous.

people do survive cold turkey probably more often than not. i've read more brain problems come from actual withdrawal than from the actual drinking. sudden withdrawal could result in more acting out than drinking has and is a real safety concern. go to a hospital emergency department if you can not garner adequate resources by phone. i don't know what an er will do for sure but it really is that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.