Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I can relate to pretty much every single word in your post mate <3
Have you got a plan for staying sober for a while?

Desire to desist and strength of willpower :)

I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey after 6 years, if I don't want to do something I don't do it. So long as I am constant in reinforcing this on myself I won't have a problem.
How will I stay constant? Reminders I have recorded mentally in times past of what I don't want, and knowing what I do want work well enough. :)

im on day 2 without a drink. just need to keep myself occupied but I am just an asshole to everyone around me

A sober life is indeed one well lived. I was on the wagon for over ten years before I relapsed during the X-mas season of 2009, foolishly thinking it would help the oc withdrawals I was suffering from. It's amazing how I fell right back into the habit of daily drinking after a decade hiatus. Thankfully it only lasted six weeks or so - then I got the ultimatum from my g/f... Get sober, or get out. Now I'm sober, I'm back to using oc's & k-pins recreationally, with nice long breaks between doses - and life is good!

^^ Hey that is great to hear man!! It's always good to hear success stories in here :) <3

Hey n3o - had no idea you were also struggling; assumed you were clean etc.

I just want to acknowledge your patience and youthful maturity. I still feel bad about 'those' exchanges and feel you really did not deserve that. You are a 'lift-up' personality and want to encourage you. You help and make a dfiff for so many (and I grudgingly admit so myself includedl)

ANYWAY - have stuck to my step one and not saying it is easy but the results are certainly better (in terms of mental, physical and professional).

So, we will keep smashing ahead until step two (easy does it) which will be gradually revealed.

Regards and best wishes to all with the same/similar goals and dreams.

Joe

Hey Joe, don't worry about before mate, it was absolutely no hassle at all. I actually recalled at the time that you were trying to cut down your drinking so I assumed that you may have been experiencing some emotional side effects from the withdrawals, and I have been there myself so I understand <3

Sounds like you're going really well, good work :)

Yep, it's something that even my closest friends and family aren't aware of. I recently told my parents though and it was quite a surprise to them.

What's that term.....functional addict?

Yep, that's me.

My boyfriend is obviously well aware, we've been living together for the last 6.5 years. I go through phases of being able to control it, but if something major goes awry with my usual life-routine, everything goes to shit and I just start drinking again.

I'm sure most people in this thread can relate to that too.

Haven't posted here in a while but I might as well.

After losing my job, my apartment, my girlfriend, and getting my ass kicked on my last bender, I showed up at my parents house. I told them the truth and they are sending me to a 6 week inpatient rehab center. I feel really bad as it will be costing them 20 grand, but they are willing to do it as it may save my life. I will be attending a place where Robin Williams, Halle Berry, and even Ms. Lohan have all been to.

I sweated through some nasty withdrawls and am currently on 20mg of valium so I won't drink. I'll be admitted next week. It's a good place where AA is not the focus, but mental health, physical health and spirituality are prevelant.

I wish everyone the best of luck and the next time I post here I'll be nearly two months clean and sober. :)

I'm very thankful my parents were understanding and willing to spend that much money to help me.

edit: my ex sent my a loving message saying she was happy, supportive and knows I can do this. She went to rehab for an eating disorder a few years ago, which she beat, so I'm sure she knows all about addiction.

Most only real alcoholics know, never too much or wearing out, non here what alcohol drinking is about BUT: Sincerelly doo,doo, hopefully Do not stoopiddd. Plain blackpainting all-heresy.

i went 5 days dry then had 4 beers today. those 5 days i didn't feel uncomfortable. maybe I can keep the drinking for the weekends.

But I still want to drastically reduce the amount of alcohol I drink

hey everyone...

im still trying to string those sober days together with more sober days than not, but in the in the last week ive had a couple of nights of overindulgence.

ive come to the following realization: if i have nothing to do that night, im in trouble. i will convince myself that while im too tired to go to the gym, im not too tired to have a glass of wine. then, once im home, i become restless, and realize that the gym would have been a better option.

its amazing how convincing the voice of your addiction can be, and how you can be fooled by it over and over again.

feeling a bit apathetic today. :\

hope everyone is doing ok... <3

did a meeting yesterday. all the same resistances, or at least reversions crept up with the type of discourse / literature used.

but i don't know what else to do.

sucks.

I just got 82% for my uni subject and all I can think of is getting drunk however I can't drink any more after being busted at home last week. Kind of sad for a 25 year old....Any how people at home are hurting because of my drinking and I agree, I shouldn't be wasting myself like this and yet that temptation for it is some what strong. Like as if it is the solution to everything that plays in my life........

But after 5 days of being sober I remind myself once again that Alcohol is just another conumable product which is optional to take / optional to buy. From a marketing perspective, I would have to say that alcohol comes second after drugs for selling itself. Credit to this product for it has truly shown us the power of consumable products and what they can do to us.

End rant......

woah!

i think you're right, alcohol would have terrible 'word of mouth' advertising, lol, oh man. now i want to write one...

First sober night tonight in, I dunno how long.
Feels good man.

Smashing down the chamomile tea so I can (hopefully) actually get some sleep tonight!

I'm looking forward to not being hungover in the morning (I wasn't this morning either cos I did a quick mini-taper Sunday night and last night) and I'm going to the gym tomorrow. Just signed up today!

Go me :)

^go you indeed!

I think I finally have my get up and go back 2 weeks later. so there it is...

Thanks mate :)
I feel good but cannot sleep for the life of me. So frustrating. This is the number 1 reason why I always go back to drinking after a few days of sobriety, just so I can finally sleep. And no-one will even prescribed me temazepam dammit!!

It's good to hear you're feeling more energetic. 2 weeks without drinking is an amazing achievement! And it is very motivating for me (and others, I am sure) to hear that you're feeling so much better at 2 weeks :)
Keep it up! <3

Been really good for the past few days, 3 or less. Also really hitting the gym hard this month (going on a quick vacation next month).... feeling confident. The Anti-Depressants are making a major difference.

May end up having to drive five hours south (one way) because one of my teenage clients made a terrible choice over the weekend (I am a social worker).... I am so ready to be done with this. Most people burn out quicker then I do. Not going to use it as an excuse to get drunk or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.