Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I would be highly cautious of drinking at all. Yes, it seems as though you're in better position now, than before, but it also seems as though you're an alcoholic. One of the hardest things to recognize with addiction is the cycle which can start well before you take a drink, and in your case... You're already drinking. Not good or safe in my opinion, but I could be absolutely wrong.

This is only my advice; I do wish you the best of luck with your new job and everything else.

Wow Fluffykins thanks so much for sharing your story, you've been through a lot with this girl. You definitely did the right thing to cut ties with her. Please know that her getting raped was NOT your fault, okay? No matter what her or her family tried to make you believe. You have done the right thing by looking out for yourself and that's the main thing. She'll be fine.

It's great to hear you've cut down your drinking and that you're no longer drinking to get drunk. As Counterintuitive said though, please be careful with drinking as it could easily spiral out of control again at any time.
Also, congrats on getting a job and sorting out other aspects of your life. It takes a lot of courage to pick yourself up after being down-trodden by an abusive partner for so long. I wish you all the best with your schooling as well :) <3

yes i realize the risk of moderate drinking, and the fact that its very difficult for an acoholic to achieve sucesfful moderation, but i hate my body workign with me, because i have a horrible heartburn problem, and now anytime i drink more then 2 drinks, i feel sick,
plus i am alot happier now i dont feel the need to drink to forget, and i never wanna throw up again, just so many things working in my favour right now, im just glad i stoped when i did efore it went to far, well at least further then it did, i just wish i had gotten out of that relationship a long time before idid, then i would be done college, never would have lost that first job and had a year gap in unemplyment
but its best not to live with regret, now when i get into university ill actually be doing something im alot more interested in
the future looks bright,

Step One: acquire more work. Work = cannot drink

This has been achieved and because of monster tolerance let the body adjust and take it from there.

It being Sunday this obviously does not apply today but as certain orgs parrot: 'easy does it' :p

true joseph k, i need more work. All I do is collect rent from my 2 properties meaning hella free time.

I have benzos on hand to keep me off withdrawls and to detox but I end up taking the benzos AFTER I drink just to forget everything.

When I try to quit drinking, anything stressful will have me going to the corner store or walmart for a case of beer. I'm trying to replace my "beer fridge" with sodas and juices.

Can't even put my thoughts onto paper in a coherent way, my mind just feels jammed and bad memories from the past come out to haunt me when I don't have a layer of ethanol giving me balance.

I agree that sometimes it takes a real doozy of a hangover to scare us straight again hun. I'm glad you came out of it relatively unscathed and have better focus than before <3

you know, it wasn't a hangover that finally got it into my head to quit drinking. it was not being able to sleep and sobering up. yeech.

you're doing a hell of a lot better then me chompy - but yeh too much free time is killer. Today we begin and feels like shit.

^^ Good luck mate, keep us updated! Be strong <3

michael, yeah I can definitely understand that. The insomnia whilst sobering up is a real wake-up call (pardon the pun) to how the alcohol is actually changing your neurochemistry. Scary stuff.

I'm an insomniac with or without booze. Kicking vodka (my DOC) has been key. I also bore very easily and function generally quite well when I drink - with notable exceptions.

I'm planning on going back to school for a business degree, which will mean loads of prerequisites and probably make me more of a pain in the ass personality-wise.

Kicking tramadol was a mixed blessing, as I can't drink on opiates. I need to stay on benzos for panic disorder. I'm being professionally coached in neuro-linguistic programming, which has made my life more complicated in bringing out childhood drama but much more disciplined. I am blessed with a good family and great friends. I don't do any drugs I'm not prescribed anymore.

Yet the second someone brings alcohol around me, all of the good goes directly out the window.

*le sigh*

Told my family I have a drinking problem, all of a sudden it's made me not want to drink. I guess I have realised my guilt once again.........I still don't know why but I can't accept that I shouldn't drink again even though it's the truth. Let's see what time does?

no joke i do like steel reserve, olde english all that crap when im just wanting to get drunk on a budget.

craft beers cost too much for me to keep my fridge stocked. a 12 pack of steel reserve is like 7 dollars

Surprised to find the cut down not a big deal. Physically or mentally. Working almost everyday now and sticking to it. Feel better during the day and less like shit in the morning. See what happens...

Joe

^^ That's awesome to hear man. Keep it up!

I'm having another shocker this week. Drinking every night again, had a few too many wines last night and somehow ended up crying on the phone to my boyfriend for about an hour (he's working away from home at the moment) in a pathetic state, and then had to drag my sorry hungover arse to work this morning :|
Lucky both my bosses are on holidays at the moment so it didn't matter that I looked like shit when I showed up to work.

Next week will be better.

I'm finding it more difficult than I thought I would to curb my drinking habits in order to get back into shape. I guess had not realised how frequently yet casually I drink.

I never do anything silly that I regret whilst drinking, am always under control; don't get violent or anything.

What have noticed though, is that I don't laugh and play up as much when I'm drunk; I end solemnly withdrawn. Not unhappy, just withdrawn from everything around me.

Also was drinking a few bees here, few rums there and a few wines by myself more often that not. I'd get home and have a drink and then another and another until I went to bed.

Anyway, I don't feel like a drunk or an alcoholic but I feel that I certainly need a break. If only for my health and bring that intrinsic and general get up and go sort of motivation one has.

anyway....... :)

^^ I can relate to pretty much every single word in your post mate <3
Have you got a plan for staying sober for a while?

Im on a break at the moment and am hoping my "get up and go" will be due any minute now.
Do it! Your liver will thank you if nothing else.

n3o I hope your next week is better :)

^^ Thanks mate <3 I hope so too!
You're doing brilliantly on your break by the way, keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.