• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Alcoholism Discussion Thread Version 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
long day feeling ok looking forward to moving into a new place that has less stress inducing issues !

everyday ! and well too much vodka ! half a handle or a 12 pack everyday! crazy part i have not ever really felt any real WD from stoping alc abruptly. I have felt benzo WD and opiate but only slight twitching is increased right before i fall asleep with alcohol ! maybe it is the Irish!
but today is 11 days and im feeling good about my future ! one day at a time one moment at time! progress is being made :)

Last edited:
! maybe it is the Irish!
but today is 11 days and im feeling good about my future ! one day at a time one moment at time! progress is being made :)

Being an Irish American was an excuse I used a long time, at first to make addiction "okay" and later to rationalize and explain "why" (aka I have bad genes so I have to use). Also, there are tons of addicts in my family and almost everyone drinks. I was allowed to drink at home when I was 18 (a beer or two with dinner, nothing crazy) so it seemed normal to me. Everyone, including myself thought I would slow down, because everyone drank really heavily for awhile in my family. It slowed down, but it didn't stop and then became a maintenance thing which later became a "must have" because I was physically hooked.

Not coincidently, you will find tons of Irish Americans in NA/AA.

Keep up the good work.

thanks phactor ,

12 days and it seems like a lot longer ! but staying sober! worked my ass off today :) feels good to work a long day and not rationalize how i deserve a few beers that always turns into a beer run, and waking up with a terrible hangover!

So, been browsing these forums for ever, especially the alcohol threads. On Monday I start my course- heard and read great things baout it. Hopefully it will help me to change my way of thinking about alcohol and teach me some skills to finally stay off it.

Very nervous, but very excited at the thought of staying off it and having a sober life. I have been booked onto this course for about 2 months and have cut down loads, this is the final step, well the start of many new steps!

Bring it on :D

good luck my friend, remember why you want to quit and things may get rough, but it completely worth in in any way.

whats the course youre going to do?

a little extra help for you: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/736985-Circles-Van-Dijk-and-crisis-handling-plan

what also may help, make a collage of inspiration in pictures/photo's/lyrics and put on your wall, so you can look at it in times of need and in an instance see why you want to quit aclohol/drugs.

68 days sober here

I don't really think I am a true alcoholic, however, I had a very strange night a while back which still sticks with me strongly to this day. I basically went nuts when I was drunk which is very unusual for me. I normally would stay in control, maybe get sloppy at times, but not out of control. This night though I was in a bad and somewhat hyper mood when I drank and then I basically proceeded to drink an entire 6 pack of some beer that was nearly 8 percent alcohol. When I was nearly finished with the 6 pack, I began ranting and raving about various things and then became out of touch with reality for around 12 hours. I essentially developed full blown paranoid/persecutory delusions like a psychotic person of some kind and genuinely believed the paranoia to be 100% real with no doubt whatsoever. The paranoia was extremely bizarre as well and essentially revolved around themes of being tortured/persecuted. After this, I awoke in the middle of the night, slightly hallucinating (ripples in things and slight whispers in the background), but basically knowing what just happened. All in all, I came back to my normal self but something happened to me that night I do not exactly understand but I learned a lot from it and I definitely am going to not drink so much

Ive been sober for 80 days now, and i must tell you that allthough there is a slight increase in feelings of depression and anxiety the thirst for alcohol is really in remission now.
When i find myself stressed out i am noticing that my first thought isn't about alcohol (or drugs) but about the healthy alternatives, like going out for a walk or take a shot nap, even in the evenings, my typical time i would start to drink, i am much more relaxed and i often take a shower or a little walk outside to not get in the danger zone.

Im pretty reliefed that all the hard work is really paying off and my brain is actually starting to create a new neuronic lay-out so that im not all alone with just just willpower and rational thinking, now my brain is starting to give me a helping hand.

fuck, i got locked up for 38 days, after 3 hours im fucked again, fortunately i went to the hospital and not jail, why is it i want to quit when im drungk but ill do anything to get a drink when im sober

Hey Everyone,

Been awhile since I've come here. I came here for my sweetheart. He's an alcoholic. My eyes are burning wet as I write this today. I've come here before asking for advice regarding him. Ways to help him, all that. Many of you confirmed his need for help, many told me I should leave him as I am enabling him in some way by staying.
He doesn't think he has an issue yet almost all our money, our food money, the bills, taxes are spent on his beer and when the well runs dry and we're down to 10$ a day, he buys a six pack. . I am the only one who steadily brings in money. If he gets a small gig, he spends all of it on beer. Birthdays have come and gone and beer is the only thing that motivates the man. I know you'd say "well then don't give him any dosh" Easier said than done. The look on his face when there's no beer for him and the shakes he starts to get. but yes, I know, somethings got to give. I guess I am enabling him aren't I.

He is the love of my life and I don't think he's going to get any better and I am crushed because I know no matter how tough I am, how much I love him, I can't do this for very much longer. I'm use to being broke as I've always supported myself with modest income but I thought things would get easier with two of us. Years ago before I met him I'd never dream of spending money on booze rather than food. Today, nearly all the money goes towards beer. It is the priority and if I have a few, he uses that against me telling me its my fault they ran out.
He becomes a different creature when he's drunk. He's not working. When he does odd jobs for neighbors, he buys more beer and changes. One good thing about when we're broke is he can only get a six pack and maybe a couple singles with his empties. Again, 'beer' is his main motivation.

I understand his issues have become a physical dependency issue and his blood actually punishes him if he doesn't make his quota. Honestly, I don't know what to do here. I am stumped.
Do I watch him suffer withdrawals next time and not give in ? What kind of woman would I be sitting by as my sweetheart suffers? Yet why can't he see the harm he's doing to both of us. Does he understand full well I am nearing my last straw.
What do you guys think I should do? I really dig this guy. Wanted to grow old with him. We talk about growing old together but I don't want to become one of those broken older women emptied by lifetime in love with an alcoholic that doesn't even try to get help.

Am I screwed here? He's a good man folks. He really is. Long line of drinkers in his Family. I really wish I could get him into therapy but I tell you, he will not go. So what do I do? Leave him and hope that shakes him up enough for an epiphany? Please help us if you have any insights here
and I'm sorry if this is a little off topic. I know this is a recovery thread. Still, I thought you folks have the best knowledge regarding this kind of thing

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation as your man but i enjoy vodka . 5th a day. Blackout everynigh,shakes, dry heaves the whole deal. Barely eat,dehydrated etc and I'm methadone

9 rehabs

He just have to want to quit if u don't give him money he will start stealing and end up in jail

Take him to dr and they will give him librium and maybe go to a detox ?

I appreciate the reply and may I add, I'm sorry your going through this. I cannot imagine, honestly, I can't imagine. Sounds really rough what your going through.
I don't know what to do about my situation. He will not seek help. I do believe his bottom will fall out before any positive progress is made.
I hope you make it through this trying time in your life and that you have the support you need to help.

^^
I really feel for you, it must be very difficult.
Iam a recovering alcoholic, been a poly drug abuser for many years, alcohol is by far the hardest to quit for me personally. The acute withdrawal is pure misery, life threatening without proper medical help (inpatient rehab, librium, doctors etc).

There is only one way imo to quit, and that is to hit rock bottom HARD...so hard you dont want to get back at any cost.
You are holding him back in some way, he may not have the will to quit using when you dont send a clear message, that he will loose YOU if he doesn;t want to quit.

Honey, pack your bags and leave for a couple of days, to let him realise that he is not only harming himself, but also his environment, and he will not only loose his life, but you too.

ITs the worst thing to do, but the best answer to this evil drug.

good luck <3

Alcoholism discussion thread 6

Thought I'd make a new one of these. Hope everyone is doing well. And if you're not doing well, let's talk. Good luck everybody. And try to stay sober!

getting sober is no easy gain. you have to work hard and seek help, often people fail because of lacking support from their social environment. big problem is, for example, planing to quit drinking, but still hanging out with drinking mates.

a change in social environment, quitting non-beneficial relationships often goes along with quitting certain drugs.

^^ Thanks, a very timely thread for me at least.

It's been about 3 years since I stopped drinking altogether and apart from one very minor slip up (most of the bottle went down the sink) I've managed to stay away from the stuff. I suspect although my drinking had become quite bad, at least a bottle of whiskey a day, it wasn't for that long as I was never interested in alcohol in my younger years.

I'm still finding the social situations quite hard, I had to go out with a group of people for drink and a meal last weekend and was the only person not to be drinking.

What do other people do in terms of explanation to others, I've tended to just tell people (that I know at least a bit and not work related) that I gave it up as I had developed a problem with it. Honesty seems the best policy but this weekend at least I got the impression it made other feel uncomfortable,not knowing what to say.

^^ Thanks, a very timely thread for me at least.

It's been about 3 years since I stopped drinking altogether and apart from one very minor slip up (most of the bottle went down the sink) I've managed to stay away from the stuff. I suspect although my drinking had become quite bad, at least a bottle of whiskey a day, it wasn't for that long as I was never interested in alcohol in my younger years.

I'm still finding the social situations quite hard, I had to go out with a group of people for drink and a meal last weekend and was the only person not to be drinking.

What do other people do in terms of explanation to others, I've tended to just tell people (that I know at least a bit and not work related) that I gave it up as I had developed a problem with it. Honesty seems the best policy but this weekend at least I got the impression it made other feel uncomfortable,not knowing what to say.

I know how you feel. It's difficult because there is this stigma towards addicts, so admitting to having a problem with alcohol can be hard. Alcohol is a heavy drug, in my opinion, as it truly can turn someone into a different person. It takes its toll on you. Personally I'm still grappling with this addiction, and am struggling. It has led me to hospital detox several times, and also liver problems. This stuff is no joke, and I have no idea why out of so many drugs, this is the one that is legal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to encourage prohibition, but it just seems like an odd choice, considering how many lives alcohol can ruin. Meanwhile, marijuana is so highly regulated. I must sound like a hypocrite, because I am indeed an active alcoholic. I also don't smoke as marijuana gives me panic attacks. But it certainly never came close to killing me.

Sorry for the tangent. Anyway, I also find social situations to be harder when I'm sober. I've always had some degree of difficulty with social situations, but I eventually managed to become more outgoing. Alcohol has reduced that, however, and unless I've been drinking, I don't really go out. It's a shame what this substance can do to a person. I'm an introvert at heart anyway, but having become accustomed to intoxication, it's become much harder to put myself out there and be social. Alcohol is very good at reducing our inhibitions, and when it's no longer an option, it can be difficult to readjust. But sober addicts manage to do it every day. There is definitely hope for all us.

In my sober times, I've just plainly told people that I no longer drink, and/or a "no thank you" if I'm offered a drink. Alcohol truly does affect one's health, and even non-addicts abstain all the time. So I don't think there is a need to explain yourself. However, when somebody tells me that they are a recovering addict, I find it to be impressing that they've overcome addiction. It still gets difficult at times, but they manage to continue to deny the drink or drug of their choice. That's a sign of courage and strength, and something I hope to adhere to soon.

JGJ - This has been going on for a long time at this point. I remember you posting when I first got clean and that was 7+ months ago so its more then a half year. Ask yourself if he the situation has gotten better or worse. Remember, that Alcoholism and Addiction hardily ever get better, it is a progressive disease. As others are advising you, you are likely enabling him. I have been telling you this for a long time. Not trying to be harsh, but its time to stop asking "what do I do" and actually take some action. I think you know what you have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.