Open Discussion agreeing with posts

^this

(thanks for typing it out)

:D

That right there is one of my little niggles.

People that respond in agreeance with person above them and say absolutely nothing at all except for that one word, ^this

Responding with this contributes as much as an agree button would do.

Actually ^this would save us re-reading a quoted post...especially as people are often too lazy to whittle down the quoted text to the particular point they are supporting or addressing. :|

How about we institute a new BLUA item where +1 or ^this are automatically infracted, and we drive home the new acceptable way of accomplishing this is to nod your head vigorously at the monitor. This would save all those who don't want to see the +1 or ^this from having them in the thread. That, or we force them to quote the whole post over and over for the one line they are addressing :|

/sarcasm

Really, though, you can't force people to post how you would, or even how you might like them to post. You have to accept that's the way the world works. And on BL, the content (or lack thereof) for people's posts is what builds their reputation...and what level of respect or acknowledgement they can garner for their thoughts.

I rarely use the "this" easy out, but they stated it so succinctly that I agreed with them. Keep in mind it was also used in jest. I frequently post from my phone so typing a long, laborious post can get difficult

Google webmaster support had something like this for a while and they got rid of it. Answers wound up being voted up based on what people wanted to hear. I realize this is a little different, but posts regarding "I'm pregnant and want to use drugs" would wind up having a "Popular" vote of "Sure, take whatever you want" and drown out the message that you should go see your doctor. The same, similar stuff on a tech level was happening, so Google got rid of it.

Not sure if this thread even belongs here...

I'm new to bluelight, but I've been a member of other forums in the past such as grasscity where you have the ability to sort of "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" someones reply or thread based on whether you like it or not. Basically building their reputation

Is there a way to do this on bluelight? I've found alot of threads that i wish i had the ability to give props to or thumbs up or whatever youd like to call it, but I cant seem to find a button or way to do this. Does it exist here on bluelight?

Sorry if this thread was posted in the wrong forum, as i said i'm new to bluelight

Not this again.

Agreement without explanation is useless in my eyes.

Part of what keeps this an intellectually refreshing community is the necessity to explain your views, likes, positions, etc.

Facebook is dull, monotonous, drab, unenlightening dick-sizing and cam-whoring of the highest order. Bluelight is superior in every way, and we've even got the lounge if you want to cam-whore or "like" something.

What's wrong with telling us that you like it and providing an explanation? It's not hard.

agreement without explanation is useless in my eyes.

14.gif

I spend a lot of time on Metafilter now. Metafiltter has a favourites system - basically a like button (no dislike button). I find it works quite well, though not everyone even agrees what it should be used for. (Some people use it to bookmark great comments, some people use it to show they agree with a post, some people use it to mark a post that they want to come back to, to argue with, some use it to offer another poster moral support).

Every so often I look around BL and see a post that I want to favourite, and then forget I can't. I can see the value - I don't always want to type a reply, it can be better just to endorse someone else's. But I'm not convinced it's right for BL. Favourites are only as good as the people giving favourites, and even on MeFi (a very smart community) they can be handed out badly (e.g. a one-line snark against bankers will get 60 favourites, a well-written argument in favour of bankers will get none).

Favourites are slightly different from reputation. Favourites would accrue to a post, reputation to a poster. Reputation was tried once in the past and didn't work, for reasons given above. And also, there's nothing stopping people from giving all the mods reputations of 1, as a joke, and giving trolls reputations of 5.

So: I like the idea in some communities, not convinced it's a great idea here, even if it's possible.

Personally I would like a like button on each post so that I could easily show my agreeance with a post without having to waste all this extra bandwidth and time like this.

I know its been dicussed in the past but that was well before facebook and I think facebook has shown that it can and does work very well.

Similar to facebook, I would keep the concept on the positive side of things and not include a dislike button.

Previous arguments have suggested that it would create a problem in regards to a popularity competition and in the past I would have agreed but having seen its successful use on facebook, I think its worth looking into IF the software allows.

Maybe it could be trialled for a six month period in just one forum?

Personally I would like a like button on each post so that I could easily show my agreeance with a post without having to waste all this extra bandwidth and time like this.

I know its been dicussed in the past but that was well before facebook and I think facebook has shown that it can and does work very well.

Similar to facebook, I would keep the concept on the positive side of things and not include a dislike button.

Previous arguments have suggested that it would create a problem in regards to a popularity competition and in the past I would have agreed but having seen its successful use on facebook, I think its worth looking into IF the software allows.

Maybe it could be trialled for a six month period in just one forum?
Oh God, please, NO. Bandwidth issues aside, can you really not spare the less than ten seconds it would take to quote a post and put "+1" or "QFT" or "This."? Maz, this isn't directed at you, but seriously--It doesn't take that much time to reply to a post with a quick note, and clicking a "like" button degrades the content of posts, IMO.

If BL ever implemented a "like" button, I'd probably leave.

Last edited:
How does it degrade the content of a post?

I would think on the contrary it actually enhances it.

As I said, prior to facebook I would have agreed 200% but I am man enough to admit that I was wrrrrrrrrrrrong

How does it degrade the content of a post?

I would think on the contrary it actually enhances it.

As I said, prior to facebook I would have agreed 200% but I am man enough to admit that I was wrrrrrrrrrrrong

I'm glad you're man enough to admit that you were wrong, but having a button to click and "like" something takes away from the actual content--I can't really describe it, but picture how nice an ordinary picture looks in an ornate frame, or how nice an ordinary light bulb looks in a fancy fixture. Now, imagine a post like one of ours in this thread decked out with 50+ "likes" on it, and go back to that picture in the ornate frame and now imagine that instead of that picture being one of a high school graduate that the picture is of something you find offensive. On second thought, that makes no sense, but I'll leave it just in case it does.

"Likes" are childish and petty, and can only lead to further issues. Even with a "plus" system, where users could add pluses (or minuses) to posts, it would still trivialize content, and people would end up complaining about not getting enough "likes" on a post, so on and so forth. Not to mention all the issues that could arise from people "liking" and therefor promoting the wrong messages.

Please, overlords of BL (you directors of 1's and 0's), keep Facebook off of BL, and keep BL how it is. Or take it back to how it was circa January 2011 if you must change it at all.

Last edited:
i post on some forums that have a thanks meter; it is someone clicking on their post to say the post is good/useful/interesting. it does nothing to individual posts but does show up as a little meter under someone's handle. it is based on an overall thanking of a member's posts.

i think something like this would be useful if we could implement it on a forum basis. i would like to see the posters in focus forums recognized for their actions but i would not like to see a lounge rat getting similar recognition for reposting memes.