Open Discussion agreeing with posts

^ That sounds like a good idea, but there are so many areas of BL where you really don't need "thanks" for your input. The Lounge being one such place. Numerous social threads being another such place.

Agreement without explanation is useless in my eyes.

I will concede to this. I hadn't seen it articulated in that way before.

(Ideally people would use it judiciously to support facts they know to be accurate but of course we can't limit its function like that; we wouldn't be able to determine broscience support from actual research-based knowledge.)

:walks over to 'reputation system' thread:

I spend a lot of time on Metafilter now. Metafiltter has a favourites system - basically a like button (no dislike button). I find it works quite well, though not everyone even agrees what it should be used for. (Some people use it to bookmark great comments, some people use it to show they agree with a post, some people use it to mark a post that they want to come back to, to argue with, some use it to offer another poster moral support).

Every so often I look around BL and see a post that I want to favourite, and then forget I can't. I can see the value - I don't always want to type a reply, it can be better just to endorse someone else's. But I'm not convinced it's right for BL. Favourites are only as good as the people giving favourites, and even on MeFi (a very smart community) they can be handed out badly (e.g. a one-line snark against bankers will get 60 favourites, a well-written argument in favour of bankers will get none).

Favourites are slightly different from reputation. Favourites would accrue to a post, reputation to a poster. Reputation was tried once in the past and didn't work, for reasons given above. And also, there's nothing stopping people from giving all the mods reputations of 1, as a joke, and giving trolls reputations of 5.

So: I like the idea in some communities, not convinced it's a great idea here, even if it's possible.

I do the same; my eyes are conditioned to identify high-favorites. I considered your point about misallocated favorites. My disagreement is that we have no better alternative. Yes, it is frustrating to see a Human Relations thread with all of the favorites centering on people who say 'you're strong, set boundaries' but the benefits I receive from the favorites system far outweigh that frustration.

Additionally, I would like to be able to mark favorites for the sake of them being in my favorites list. Currently I have to bookmark it with a post# addendum which is a hassle and also pretty fucking messy. That's not your fault, but a favorites system may confer more effective use, creating a higher quality of contributions.

Perhaps you could opt-in to this new favorites system? Is that beyond our capabilities?

A small liking posts option

A small "liking posts" option on Bluelight would be awesome. Breeds a better culture I believe, like Facebook. Make Bluelight the first 'thread-type' forum to do this (unless, which is probably true, I'm drastically unaware).

Thanks, ~ Janja =D

A small "liking posts" option on Bluelight would be awesome. Breeds a better culture I believe, like Facebook. Make Bluelight the first 'thread-type' forum to do this (unless, which is probably true, I'm drastically unaware).

Thanks, ~ Janja =D

We already have a thread on this so I went ahead and merged your thread in with it. Someone also proposed this idea, but it too was ultimately shot down.

Bluelight should implement a "Like" feature.

Teabag Johnny respectfully request the "Like" feature to be added to the bluelight forum & also the dislike feature.

This added feature will allow posters to know if they're being a douche-bag or being someone legit. Too Legit to Quit.

This feature will motivate members to create solid threads.

Also, a possible evaluation link to the thread would be beneficial. So, if someone jacks up their grammar & spelling, a moderator can tell them they need to go back to school...

It's time for innovation to stay ahead of the curve.

how is adding something that's been around since Facebook came out staying ahead of the curve?

or in other words, dislike

its like all those people who want a reputation system of some sort until they realize members are far more motivated to give negative reputation than postive so to new posters it just looks like everyone is a terrible person

You can like or dislike a post by replying to it accordingly
I know it takes a little more effort than just clicking...

facebook-dislike-button1.png

alasdair

i'm not a fan of online popularity contests. i also can't understand people who refer to themselves in the third person - it's just weird.

alasdair

Sorry fellas! I had that great innovative idea stoned on Kind Bud :)

Maybe there is something much better...

Hmmmm....

I think our priority should be to contact deep for consulting.

Last edited by a moderator: