• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Addicted and need help??? Click here

There are quite a few good places to detox here in the uk ...it wouldn't cost you the earth either ....hardypick(at)googlemail.com

Lots of good info and advice here after reading through the first few pages. Just wanted to inject some of my own personal two cents' regarding opiate addiction.

First off, personally, I've never met or known anyone who had begun to use opiates recreationally that did not eventually get ensnared in a much deeper seeded addiction. I'm not saying staying away from addiction is not possible, but from personal experience as well as just knowing a ton of other people, it's not common. At all.

I was also addicted far before withdrawals set in. It all started out with getting a few Percocets here and there from my brother and then eventually led to me getting with an Oxycontin connect. The funny thing was, I had heard all of the dangers and was actually incredibly apprehensive my first time using it. All it took was that one action to use it ONE time and then I was off and running. Something so wonderful could never be so harmful and dangerous, right?

Fast forward a few years later one night when I was really desperate and I tried to smash my left hand in with a hammer so I could go to the emergency room and get some stuff "legally". The worst part (funny part now, really, as fucked up as that sounds) is that I didn't even break anything. My fucking hand just hurt like fuck for a week. In retrospect, I should have tried to snap the finger in two instead of pulverizing the bone matter with a ball peen hammer. And that's just the addict in me thinking...

Think it can't happen to you?

Congratulations!

Your conscience has already got you in its thrall. An addicts conscience is the most manipulating, convincing, dangerously conniving fucking thing. My girlfriend actually asked me this morning why I or any other opiate addict's didn't just call someone when they felt like relapsing (I'm two weeks clean today and going back to the Suboxone doc later on, but have been in a constant struggle of getting clean, relapsing, getting clean, relapsing for the past year). You know, so they could talk you out of not going to get a fix.

I just started laughing then responded by asking her if she ever maybe just considered having a cup of bleach with her chocolate chip cookies. You know, so she wouldn't drink milk. Of course, she didn't get the reference, but I know anyone who's an addict will. A bit extreme, but I think it illustrates the point quite nicely. And also manages to broach the topic of chocolate chip cookies (which reminds me I should go buy some).

Calling someone before going to get a relapse fix, or even just ANY fix, is a novel concept, but I would never do something like that knowing it would eventually end with me not getting high. Once you've decided you're going to, you're off and running. Unless you get arrested or hit by a bus or something while trying to score. That's addiction.

In regards to alcohol, personally, once I slip up and start drinking and thinking I can just do that, my drunken state of mind turns out being a mortal lock to eventually become obsessed with scoring some drugs. It doesn't matter if you're addicted to opiates, alcohol, benzos -- whatever -- you have the disease of addiction, and it will never go away.

If you want to get clean but don't have insurance or anything, go to your local emergency room and tell them you want to get placed into a detox. A free bed detox. I just got out of a free bed detox and quite honestly, it was infinitely better than the one I had to pay $5,000 for (AFTER insurance) about a year ago. They will help you, even if you have a bottle of whiskey in your bag that you're sampling in the bathroom to ease the anxiety. There's a lot of people who are going to look down on you, but there are also a lot of people -- whether they've had friends or family try and get clean or even them themselves -- that will treat you with an unparalleled kindness and respect. Going into rehab is tough and it's even tougher if you decide to go there willingly.

If you're reading this, though, and think it can't happen to you -- at least in regards to opiates -- I would think again. Like many have already said, once a month quickly turns into once a week and once a week quickly turns into you convincing yourself to smash your fucking finger in with a hammer because the payout will be worth it.

Fail to respect your addiction (opiates ESPECIALLY), and it's going to rip EVERYTHING meaningful away from you and beat your fucking ass down to your knees. Without you even realizing it.

If you're going to continue on using opiates though, and I'm pretty sure you most certainly will, at the very LEAST, just be aware of your addiction. In the hopes that you can recognize it before that shit gets TOO dire.

Good luck and be safe!

Last edited:
you should list pot up there too... MJ made my life unmanagable, i was lying, stealing, and cheating because of that shit...

This is my first post here on BL. I am here struggling with the possibility of becoming addicted to painkillers AGAIN! I have been seriously addicted to several different drugs in my life. The worst of which was meth. My favorite has always been Opiates-any kind. I have not had an issue with them in a few years now. However, I just had major oral surgery. I have a 55hour work week and have not been able to tolerate the pain while at work without taking the Percocet and dilaudid I am prescribed. It's been almost two weeks now, and I'm rally concerned that I may not be able to stop taking them when the pain goes away. I've been down this road so many times before.......

you should list pot up there too... MJ made my life unmanagable, i was lying, stealing, and cheating because of that shit...

Start a section and I'm sure they can edit it into the main post. :)

Anyone have advice on quiting benzos? I basically quit opiates and replaced them with benzos. I've quit suboxone and opiates over and over cold turkey. But quiting this or tapering just gives me seizures. So I have no idea what to do, except find a Dr. that will prescribe more.

I think I would rather go through a detox and get switched onto valium. I wouldn't have a problem with that. What would happen if I checked into a treatment center? I couldn't imagine. I really need help though.. If I could change this into a hardcore opiate habbit and have to quit that I would be in heaven, that would be a walk in the park (not that, that's easy) but benzo's are seriously not possible...

I also have anxiety so dont want to quit completely. I just think my usage and retarded Dr.'s has become out of control. And i've been scared for quite some time.

If you go to a detox, they will wean you off using a long-acting benzo, probably Librium.

I'm not sure they would put you on another benzo though.

Methadone

So I am thinking bout breaking my painkiller addiction and wanted to know how methadone can help with this? Also doe methadone have any rec value if snorted or parachuted?

You're going to try to break your opiate addiction by trying to abuse methadone? I don't think you've thought this through. You're going to end up killing yourself with other routes of administration. Methadone is very powerful and not well known for it's euphoric effects. If you try to abuse it you're going to stop breathing before you find that glowing feeling. I've done it before, I am stupid.

Yeap... methdone, while definately an opioid, has a rather ''different'' effect profile than most opioids. It doesn't produce euphoria so much as it produces a state of ''everything's going to be all right'', while skyrocketting your tolerance, and sinking its claws into you far enough so you have a much, much worse withdrawal profile to look forward to when the day to quit entirely comes about.

Be careful, be responsible
Cy

Methadone doesn't really have a recreational value when you're on a maintenance program. I think if you're unable to fight addiction alone you should seek some form of professional help. It really sounds like you're just trying to substitute one drug for another though.

three weeks clean! Been going to NA meetings and keeping a strict lifestyle. I know 21 days doesn't sound amazing to most of you, but its insane for me. Now gotta work on 21 years.

Anyone that needs help that doesn't want to go to a rehab center, go to Narcotics Anonymous. They have been helping me out tremendously. I am a long term Benzo and Opiate addict. I didn't think I would ever make 2 days clean. I feel clear headed and more energetic then ever. Give it a shot, seriously.

I have gotten clean previously, I hope I don't mess it up again. I tend to let these 'one time' celebrations turn into month long binges. Slipping up even once will kick you in the ass.

This is great news. I need to quit opiates and have a decent habbit at the moment. I didn't use at all yesterday, went to a good NA meeting lastnight and felt I was able to kick. By 11pm I was in extreme discomfort and couldn't sleep due to my bones and joints aching soo terribly that I was crying. I knew I was going to have withdrawls but I can't get a dirty urine @ iop cause I'm on probation for another 2 months. Please anyone!! If I go into detox, will I violate probation?? I want to quit but can't do this on my own. I tried over the counter sleep medicine which only made my entire night even more uncomfortable. Only until being forced to get some bags did I feel better. I don't belong in jail, I have a serious problem. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Ty in advance

as crazy as it sounds I'm addicted to coricidin cough and cold...not even the mental trip addiction, I mean I dont want to deal with day to day matters without having at least 8 pills in my body........this has been going on for years..i dont know what to do and coming off is a bitch, I get terrible tremors and not to mention I have been on anti depressants along with it..I miss being young enough to afford therapy!

can you help me with posting my thread and who I should post it to for the advice

I started opiates all at once. I read some of your posts and some say it started with once a week then twice then so on. Well what kind of dose are you talkin bout cause when I started it was with oxycodone 10mg and I would take 2-3 in one sitting every couple hours. So what are you guys doing that has you doing so little?

You're going to try to break your opiate addiction by trying to abuse methadone? I don't think you've thought this through. You're going to end up killing yourself with other routes of administration. Methadone is very powerful and not well known for it's euphoric effects. If you try to abuse it you're going to stop breathing before you find that glowing feeling. I've done it before, I am stupid.

I had no knowledge of methadone I don't want to abuse it just wanted to know what it was capable of. I heard it can be used for keeping withdrawl down to a minimum. That's what I want it for. I tried quitting once but the withdrawls were hell. I made it through but anyways I had some real hard life problems and I turned back to them but I am in alot deeper and don't want to deal with the withdrawls.

I was shootin dope for years, got on Methadone 115mgs per day at a clinic for 4 1/2 years
I'm 24 yrs old. I overdosed on New Years and almost died... was in ICU for 2 days.

I ended up going into an In-Patient Treatment center for 28 days and got re-introduced to NA.

It took me close to 1 month to get through the Methadone withdrawals... that shit lasts for EVER... It took me 1 1/2 months to start shitting right... Now I'm 60 days clean and I'm happier than ever. I never thought I'd get rid of the ball-and-chain but if somebody like me can do it... then all of you can. You just have to want it. If your not ready to give up opiates then you wont be able to stay clean.
I'll tell you though... its a complete lifestyle change... a lot of its uncomfortable and it will be for a while, but each day is getting better, I'm making sober friends... good stuff.