• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall Addiction?

Didn't I say it varies from person to person? I said not every one is the same.

I get sick of those always saying "Oh, it was nothing. I was fine in 3 days." That's not true for every one. Some people get off easy like that, but I have seen many who suffered like I did.

It's better for people to know there's a possibility they won't be back to normal so soon. That way, they can prepare themselves in case they go through PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)

With you, I spent tons of time giving you information and trying to help, but always met with this push back.

I'm sorry you slipped up, but don't stop trying to quit.

Last edited:
Okay, I see my doctor this Friday. I'm going to ask him to cut my script in half. This way, if I decide to go on a bender the worst I can do is about 100 mgs 2 days in a row. I've not known myself to like going past 120 mg in 24 hours with my tolerance atm.

I don't have opoids in my life anymore on the regular, and I'm not at that point yet to live life without any substances (besides weed). I don't doubt anyone telling me to chuck the script because it is the best advice, but I literally mentally can't stand the thought of living 100% sober at this point in time. Adderall improves my life to a degree. I forgot to mention that my doctor doubled my script last year for no reason and that's when it started to get out of hand. I recall being alot more balanced before that happened. CoastTwoCoast, I don't actually experience withdrawal or trouble concentrating when I run out, because 80% of the month I'm adjusted to living without it since I run out fast anyways. It's really the next two days following a bender that I feel quite low. This isn't an ideal choice I know but I know it will at least help my using. One day I hope my life is great enough that I won't need any substances at all to get by.

PS: everyone and their mom and dog has lyrica on this website. Never tried it, but curious now.

Last edited:
Okay, I see my doctor this Friday. I'm going to ask him to cut my script in half. This way, if I decide to go on a bender the worst I can do is about 100 mgs 2 days in a row. I've not known myself to like going past 120 mg in 24 hours with my tolerance atm.

I don't have opoids in my life anymore on the regular, and I'm not at that point yet to live life without any substances (besides weed). I don't doubt anyone telling me to chuck the script because it is the best advice, but I literally mentally can't stand the thought of living 100% sober at this point in time. Adderall improves my life to a degree. I forgot to mention that my doctor doubled my script last year for no reason and that's when it started to get out of hand. I recall being alot more balanced before that happened. CoastTwoCoast, I don't actually experience withdrawal or trouble concentrating when I run out, because 80% of the month I'm adjusted to living without it since I run out fast anyways. It's really the next two days following a bender that I feel quite low. This isn't an ideal choice I know but I know it will at least help my using. One day I hope my life is great enough that I won't need any substances at all to get by.

PS: everyone and their mom and dog has lyrica on this website. Never tried it, but curious now.

I'm prescribed Gabapentin and I love it for mood balance and help with anxiety. Lyrica is supposed to be a stronger version, but it's expensive. I do just fine with Gabapentin. Lyrica or Gabapentin will be helpful whenever you quit...if you have any withdrawal problems.

If cutting your script down helps you, that's fine. I know how scary it is to let go of something that has a really strong grip on you. I got fed up enough with it and the drug wasn't helping me at all anymore.

If you get rid of your script, you can try another ADHD medicine if you want. That way, you won't be totally without anything.

In the end, it's all about what works for you. :)

I get sick of those always saying "Oh, it was nothing. I was fine in 3 days." That's not true for every one. Some people get off easy like that, but I have seen many who suffered like I did.
well, no matter how many days it takes, every single day is extremely rough and i'm sure you agree. i'm somewhat recovering from pf, idk a week of using 500+mg/24hrs i somehow woke up today with about half my energy and didn't feel like i was drained and a dead meatbag which was nice, but then you know i ate 2 burgers before going to bed, protein is extremely important it's the building block to Dopamine and if you increase your protein intake it significantly helps you recover from stimulant use, i also reccomend L-tyrosine

i'll link a piece of information regarding L-tyrosine

Precursor to neurotransmitters and hormones[edit]
In dopaminergic cells in the brain, tyrosine is converted to L-DOPA by the enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase (TH). TH is the rate-limiting enzyme involved in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine can then be converted into other catecholamines, such as norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and epinephrine (adrenaline).

The thyroid hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) in the colloid of the thyroid also are derived from tyrosine.

Another piece of information that is crucial regarding Protein.

A good source of protein is often a combination of various foods, because different foods are rich in different amino acids. A good source of dietary protein meets two requirements:[9]

• The requirement for the nutritionally indispensable amino acids (histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine) under all conditions and for conditionally indispensable amino acids (cystine, tyrosine, taurine, glycine, arginine, glutamine, proline) under specific physiological and pathological conditions
  • The requirement for nonspecific nitrogen for the synthesis of the nutritionally dispensable amino acids (aspartic acid, asparagine, glutamic acid, alanine, serine) and other physiologically important nitrogen-containing compounds such as nucleic acids, creatine, and porphyrins.
The requirement for nonspecific nitrogen for the synthesis of the nutritionally dispensable amino acids (aspartic acid, asparagine, glutamic acid, alanine, serine) and other physiologically important nitrogen-containing compounds such as nucleic acids, creatine, and porphyrins.

Last edited:
The crash is not an equivalent exchange imo. The worst crash I have ever gotten in my life was from 60 mg, but I've gone through crashes from like 150 throughout a day total and felt it alot less. I can't explain it. Sometimes the crash lasts only an hour or so and then you're actually in a great mood for the rest of the day. Sometimes the crash is crippling depression for 8 hours and you wake up the next day with no willpower to live haha. It's like a lottery. Maybe if you've built up alot of dopamine the crash is way worse later?

I despise adderall when i'm doing it for the 4th or 5th day in a row. It makes me have paranoia and stresses me out after the third day even. Ah I've been thinking about gabapentin because it helps me with my minor anxiety issues but there is a nasty withdrawal from that stuff isn't there? I'd need to be on it for life.

Last edited:
The crash is not an equivalent exchange imo. The worst crash I have ever gotten in my life was from 60 mg, but I've gone through crashes from like 150 throughout a day total and felt it alot less. I can't explain it. Sometimes the crash lasts only an hour or so and then you're actually in a great mood for the rest of the day. Sometimes the crash is crippling depression for 8 hours and you wake up the next day with no willpower to live haha. It's like a lottery. Maybe if you've built up alot of dopamine the crash is way worse later?

I despise adderall when i'm doing it for the 4th or 5th day in a row. It makes me have paranoia and stresses me out after the third day even. Ah I've been thinking about gabapentin because it helps me with my minor anxiety issues but there is a nasty withdrawal from that stuff isn't there? I'd need to be on it for life.

Yeah, I hated myself by even the second day of abusing Adderall...this was a year in when I knew it just wasn't worth it. It made me irritable and angry more and more. I couldn't even enjoy being in the woods and beautiful scenery, I felt disconnected from everything. That crap seriously feels like your soul is being stolen.

You don't need to worry about Gabapentin withdrawals unless you take it every single day and go cold turkey. You can't do that. You have to taper, just like with anything else. I haven't had any problems with it.

Thanks for the info on L-Tyrosine @Zonxx!

Didn't I say it varies from person to person? I said not every one is the same.

It's better for people to know there's a possibility they won't be back to normal so soon. That way, they can prepare themselves in case they go through PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)

With you, I spent tons of time giving you information and trying to help, but always met with this push back.

I'm sorry you slipped up, but don't stop trying to quit.

No I get it. For many people it does take months and I didn't know that before, and I'm sorry that it did for you, and it's good for people to know it can happen.

I'm sorry if you felt you met with a "push back".

You DID help me, I guess I just got worried when I heard your story and assumed it would take me that long to get over it, but I don't think you ever said I couldn't get over it quickly.

I'm not going to stop trying to quit.

We'll see when I actually am able to get back to putting in the full effort, but I know I will be attempting to quit again before the new year.

What I keep getting confused about though is the term and concept of "PAWS" in terms of how both you and some other people talk about it.

Am I incorrect in assuming that PAWS is nothing more or less than the psychological addiction that goes along with the physical dependency to drugs, or for that matter, really any psychological addiction period?

Is there really anything more that "PAWS" is used to reference other than all the psychological issues one gets when quitting anything they love like: depression, cravings in general, cravings and depression or anger particularly in connection with certain triggers, lots of dreams about drugs and nightmares, anxiety, etc??

I mean, every drug I have liked and quit for any time period I've had dreams of craving about, whether it was weed, dexadrine or kratom, I'd dream that I was using the drug or wanting the drug and wake up upset that I couldn't have it, I'd have triggers that would make me crave the drug and feel depressed at times without it, but then just push on and try to keep myself busy and deal with it.

The way some people talk about it it's like...I don't know, like something EXTRA beyond either physical dependence or psychological addiction.

People will say "you might get PAWS when quitting this drug", but that way of speaking seems odd to me because it almost seems like a given that almost everyone who has gotten to the point of physical addiction will have some strong cravings and a bit of depression from time to time when quitting, and in fact, really, my guess would be that if anyone spends any significant time using a drug they are MORE likely to get psychological addiction than physical. I wasn't physically addicted to weed but I was depressed when quitting.

And if that is what it means, then it's not particular to drugs either. You could have that happen with gambling, sex, eating disorders, or with not being able to do a sport you love. For example, a lot of boxers and MMA fighters get REALLY depressed when they have to retire cause they can't get over the craving for the adrenaline rush.

It also sort of seems like the same thing as a mourning process really, though it would generally be harder to deal with the loss of a loved one (either due to break up, divorce or death) than giving up a drug, the same feelings of triggers that make you depressed and miss the person, the dreams that remind you of them, it probably produces the same kinds of feelings because you are trying to get over the loss of something enjoyable, which is being with this person.

So, isn't PAWS just psychological addiction, or is it something else?

i mean... no matter how many days it is, stimulant withdrawal isn't easy in the slightest. it's like having your soul drained from you and all that helps is time and rest n' within time your body slowly readjusts on its own. But.... i do actually find that Amphetamines are harder on the body than any amount of coke, i don't wake up feeling so lifeless the day after a week long coke binge like i do an amp one

All of you were absolutely right--I can't control my usage. I'm never going back to the doc.. Even with higher doses it's just unexciting and causes dysfunctional behavior and paranoia/depressive episodes. My choices are to stop or graduate to meth lol (no intention for the latter). It used to make me overall happier and excited about life and now it makes me a hermit because I feel uncomfortable socializing on it. Hopefully this is the right choice. I've had some really great times but it's time to grow up. It's literally 100% a negative aspect on my life at this point and it's not even a hard drug lol. I want to focus on my mental and physical health. In away being a legal addict is worse than illegally using because there's less incentive to quit.

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be hooked on methamphetamine... you'd absolutely lose your mind and self entirely in heavy abuse. Stimulants can make you crazy not worth the brief feeling of euphoria and self-gratification. There are definitely people out there who can abuse stimulants and retain sanity, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Last edited:
Hi! First, I think you should share all this with your doctor. And it was based on his recommendations to conclude. I don't think it's normal to want to take medicine constantly. Therefore, you should limit yourself from taking this medicine. You can also seek support from the online sobriety community to eliminate drug addiction if there is one. But before that, consult a doctor and tell us everything in the same detail described here. Good luck to you!

Last edited: