• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

There is an acne discussion thread in the Healthy Living forum. I will send this over there, and when Mynameisnotdeja gets to it, she will merge it with the existing thread on acne problems :)

im a proactiv user (adult acne victim)
and swear by it as the best alternative to medication i have tried. worth the investment, ...i believe it works out to be under $20usd/month ...but the initial package is expensive.

^Don't order it from the company...check on ebay and order a few bottles at a time...its much cheaper and yes it works better than anything I've used.

When I first started getting acne i went to my fam. doc and he perscribed me some sort of sulfa drug which later that week i discovered i was allgeric to. He then perscribed me 50mg minocycliene hcl then upped it to 100mg. My face was great when I took it when i was supposed to (daily). I have been on it since grade 9 (although not to the best consisitancy ie sometimes forgot to take the pill) but once i moved away for university i took it everyday and to excellent results. I recently ran out of the script and tryed going without it and just using facewash 2x daily (because of the sideeffect of sensitivity to sunburns and its the summer, i wanted a tan) but it has deffinatly come back, so monday im going back on the script and i would deffinatly reccomend it.

I had no acne as a teenager which makes it even worse having it as an adult (am 23).

I initally treated it with clerasil, then went on to anti-bitotics but they gave me constant thrush which sucks.

Then I tried yasmin which really helped.

Recently my acne has just got really bad. I am on anti-bitotics, BP cream and yasmin and it just doesn't seem to be improving and I am just fed up.

People just shouldn't have to deal with acne at this age.
Saying that I know there are people worse off than me. A girl I worked with had really terrible acne and polycystic ovaries, so she not only looked and felt crap but she couldn't concieve with her hubby :(

I've got a sample of Salicylic Acid 1.5% heard good thing about it, anyone know if it's safe to use it with BP ?

Im pretty sure its safe to use salycilic with BP, (I always have). I would just start off slowly, dont slather the meds on too thickly until you see how you are gonna react.

it seem to work pretty good ! :) I'm using SA in the morning and BP+moisturizer at night and my face look quite good ! almost clear on the right side of my face,

yah i'm happy

Yeh, im almost done with my accutane treatment. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Monthly blood tests sucked, but It's well worth it for the results.

Im sure anyone could eventually get perscribed accutane, even if they have mild acne. Just have to go around and find a doctor.

But accutane works great, never drank alcohol on it. Chapped lips is probably the worst side affect. thats about it.

Zits

Alright, heres the deal. I had clear skin for NINETEEN years, now all of a sudden in year 20 my face is giong batshit. Usually just a couple zits on my face, but a few have come around the lips and when you pop them it looks like you got a fucking cold sore. (which I don't! Went to the ER frantically to have the docter say ... "Yep... thats one bigass zit you have there, go see a dematologist.") Now, to anyone else out there who has delt with zits how do you handle it ? It makes me feel selfconcious around the ones I love, especially my girl and my friends. I could care less about the general population, but it just makes me look gross to have this red spot where my zit was around the lip. They are all sooooo cool and accepting about it, i'm one lucky bastard, but I still can't help but feeling self concious and bad about this! So, any solutions ?

I have an appointment with the dematologist sometime next month, which is the soonest appointment I could get, so i'm looking for alternative methods to control this crap!

I tried hot compresses. Water seems to help, but not enough. I have zit cream or whatever, but that seems to dry it out then I have flaking skin around the effected area which looks even worse ? What the FUCK is going on here ? Why did acne wait 19 fucking years to attack ? I could have delt with this shit a lot better in highschool where there was ofter effected parties but now that i'm involved with a job and a girlfriend it just makes me CRAZY. SOOO selfconcious it makes me not even want to go into work but I FORCE myself to do it. When I do go in my heart races at what feels like 10000BPM and I get physically sick to my stomach. It's come to the point where i'm dimming the lights in my little office space area just to reduce visability and my coworkers are starting to think i'm crazy. Blah. I do my work %110 so they can suck it.

Anyways... Post comments, suggestions, stories, whatever, just please don't mock me. I don't think I can take this all the way until next month...

for me the last year or so all my acne went away except right before a growth spurt. the best thing that has helped me is a good face wash and some organic soap to use on my face also.

Welcome to my world...I had them since I was 16 (Out of nowhere...) and I am very clean...Nothing really works to fully get rid of mine, neither...I even see a dermatologist...I just figured, oh well, it's not like I do more than I can...Eventually I got used to it...I know what it's like when you think people are staring and talking about you...It was hard for me. I even had to go to a psychologist for my anxiety/paranoia...Bascially, you will just have to do the best you can to get rid of them as much as possible. Stay away from sugar, caffiene, alcohol, etc...Food isn't the source of it, but some foods can worsen it...Also, what "mean green 95" said. I also recomend using a clean pillow case every night...Oh, and avoid touching your face as much as possible. BTW, poping them actually makes them worse.

I had perfectly clear and wonderful skin till I hit 21, and since then it's just been getting progressively worse. I want accutane, but I doubt a dr will give it to me. :(

I've always had really clear skin until I changed my eating habits (for the better) and then my skin went crazy. Lasted a few months and has settled down again now. Guess it was just adjusting to the changes in it's own way.

Im going to merge this with the existing acne thread.
I ABSOLUTELY feel your pain.
I was also clear most of my life, and it wasnt until I got older (and tried the birth control pill) that I got bad cystic acne.
Im on Retin A micro again (4 days into treatment) and I can tell you that for me, its helped more than anything else Ive tried (diet changes, supplements, over the counter stuff). Its expensive but worth it!

I really wish you wouldn't have merged these... The chances of people actually reading my post just went from great to... Not great..

Also, there is a distinct difference between acne and zits. Acne is widespread and looks like red marks where as pimples are well, you know what pimples are their whiteheads. I would appreciate if you would unmerge these... :/

I'm curious about what kind of restrictions those medications make for you, for instance I like to drink a lot of alchol. I heard with accutane that I woulnd't be able to do this, and I would have to have liver panal tests every so often. Whats the deal ? What about recreational drugs like pot and ecstacy ? Anywhooo...

<mopes>

All right, I split it back. Although I dont really see the distinction between acne and zits. Acne is a name for the overall problem, you can have lots of different types of acne.
And its all gross, I know. :(

I drink a lot of alcohol too, I dont know for sure if you can drink on accutane but I would imagine not.
www.acne.org has lots of info on accutane too.

I know how you feel man. It hit me at the usual age (13) and I'm still waiting for it to go away over 5 years later. I took accutane on 3 separate occasions for the full time each, and I wouldn't recommend it at all. It made me very depressed and my face got horrid until the end of the treatments. It worked at the end, but came back once it left my system. I've used just about everything and I'm one of the cleanest people I know. I guess some people just have to cope with it until it naturally clears up. Good luck.

have a read of my earlier post in this thread, i wrote down all my hints and tips(i now have no pimples, not a single one! yay!).