• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

My blemishes are a direct result from my job. I get hot and dirty and sweaty and the end result is usually one or two bad looking blemishes on my face. Im extremely self concious about it as well. Even though its like one or two its the end of the world to me. Ive bailed out last minute going to clubs, going to class, going to my friends house because his hot sister might see me, going to work on a few occassions, and even copin drugs because of a blemish. I keep it under control mad skin care products. Everynight I shower and I wash my face with a micro abrasion skin that gets rid of dead skin cells, followed by a washing with Noxema, then followed with Witch Hazel. Then usually twice a week I'll use a peel off facial mask on a Wensday and then on Saturday one of those mudmasks.

Seriously I got no shame in admiting it, if I got a blemish and thats making me mad self concious or I dont feel my skin is up to par I'll use makeup.

I wouldnt go for the accutane dude. Too many side effects. It fucks with your liver and can cause peeling of the lips. Retin A Micro, Differin, and Klaron are your best bet.

ClubbinGuido said:
My blemishes are a direct result from my job. I get hot and dirty and sweaty and the end result is usually one or two bad looking blemishes on my face.

I recently started an outdoor job this summer, and I have also noticed my skin getting a bit worse. I am constantly sweating and getting dirt on my hands/ face. I try to wash my hands and face whenever possible, and have been bringing these Stridex face wipes to work with me. I usually clean my face and neck with these about twice a day as well. Definitely a pain in the ass.

here are some vitals to acne care.........

1) wash your face 3 times a day with an acne soap of some sort (the kind of soap that works best for you will take some experimentation)

2) sweets, cafeine should be avoided. Being in the sun a lot helps.....

3) use some kind of gel for your zits, the best one for me was benzoyl peroxide 10%(need a perscription for the 10% version)

4) try taking supplements such as omega-3 fish oil, zinc, and vitamin B. Once again no one knows which one of the three will work best for you but try taking each one sepperatly for a period of time.

5) Only pop zits if you absolutely MUST DO IT, otherwise do not.

6) take vitamin B5 or an antibiotic. Vitamin B5 is the best, and it works for about 85% of the people that try it. Please read up on vitamin B5 to get the right dosage and learn more about it.

Basically if you do all this you will be clear or only have a couple break outs but remember that it will take about 2 months to clear up if you do all of the above ^^^^

If B5 or antibiotics don't work then accutane is your LAST resort. Even still I would never take accutane with all it's side-effects.

BTW- i have not met anyone yet that has found antibiotics to work for them and continue working with extended use......

good luck.

Re: Zits

psychetool said:
Alright, heres the deal. I had clear skin for NINETEEN years, now all of a sudden in year 20 my face is giong batshit. Usually just a couple zits on my face, but a few have come around the lips and when you pop them it looks like you got a fucking cold sore. (which I don't! Went to the ER frantically to have the docter say ... "Yep... thats one bigass zit you have there, go see a dematologist.") Now, to anyone else out there who has delt with zits how do you handle it ? It makes me feel selfconcious around the ones I love, especially my girl and my friends. I could care less about the general population, but it just makes me look gross to have this red spot where my zit was around the lip. They are all sooooo cool and accepting about it, i'm one lucky bastard, but I still can't help but feeling self concious and bad about this! So, any solutions ?

I have an appointment with the dematologist sometime next month, which is the soonest appointment I could get, so i'm looking for alternative methods to control this crap!

I tried hot compresses. Water seems to help, but not enough. I have zit cream or whatever, but that seems to dry it out then I have flaking skin around the effected area which looks even worse ? What the FUCK is going on here ? Why did acne wait 19 fucking years to attack ? I could have delt with this shit a lot better in highschool where there was ofter effected parties but now that i'm involved with a job and a girlfriend it just makes me CRAZY. SOOO selfconcious it makes me not even want to go into work but I FORCE myself to do it. When I do go in my heart races at what feels like 10000BPM and I get physically sick to my stomach. It's come to the point where i'm dimming the lights in my little office space area just to reduce visability and my coworkers are starting to think i'm crazy. Blah. I do my work %110 so they can suck it.

Anyways... Post comments, suggestions, stories, whatever, just please don't mock me. I don't think I can take this all the way until next month...
My acne started at the same age. By age 20 I had quite bad acne, which reduced my life quality severely. I took lots of prescription pills and creams, all which did very, very little, or nothing at all.

I then got prescribed accutane which CURED my acne. It really is an amazing drug. I had no side effects other than slightly chapped lips, and ever-so-slightly dry eyes. Both of these were an irritation at worst, and fixed with a chapstick and some eye drops.

HOWEVER, my acne started to return a couple of months later. No where as bad mind you. Since then (I am now 24) I have been following the regimen at www.acne.org. I don't actually follow it properly, because my acne is really only very mild now. I do the following:

MORNING
1) Shower, and clense face with a non-comodegenic lotion
2) Moisterize face with a non-comodegenic moisterizer.

NIGHT
1) Clense face again
2) Pat face dry
3) Apply a good amount of 2% benzoyl peroxide (can get in shops, or best to get from the website as is cheaper and better)
4) Wait a few minutes to dry.

Moisterizing is very imporant, as irritation is a big cause of acne. I would definately suggest trying the regimen (either the proper one, or my one) before taking accutane. Accutane is good but there are a lot of scare stories about it. Leave it to a last resort.

PM me if you have any questions. I know how horrible acne can be, and I have a lot of experience now so could probably help a fair bit.

By the way, I now have clearer skin than my friends, and only have a couple of small scars. I am so glad I didn't pick my spots too much, as the scars don't go away when the acne does. I would advise you to the same!

You dont need a prescription for 10% BP. Thats the commonly sold strength of over the counter BP.

I am 21 and haven't had acne for 2 years now. I started getting it at age 14 i first tried benzyl peroxide 5% it helped keep it controlled for about 2 years but then i had a major break out. I was then put onto minomycen(sp) and that worked fantastic for around 2 years until it started getting really bad again. I was then put onto roaccutane (Australian version of accutane).

I was on it for 12 months and it cleared up nicely, i had typical sideeffects dry lips, loss of energy, slight depression, but it was all controlable. the roaccutane helped heaps and i was completly clear from about 5 months into the treatment till about 6 months after.

I was then put on a double dose for 6 months with liver tests every month. At that dosage i was very lathergic and felt pretty crap all the time but it was bearable. after the 6 months i went off the roaccutane and i have had 2 little pimples ever since. During this time i smoked pot, took speed around once a fortnight and also did ecstacy without any damage to my liver. I didn't drink any alcohol at all though.

Personally i think roaccutane was great it helped me heaps, but i am a very happy person usually and don't have any personal problems. I wouldn't reccomend this drug to anyone that has any personal issues or history of deppression because it will make it ten times worse.

MynameisnotDeja said:
You dont need a prescription for 10% BP. Thats the commonly sold strength of over the counter BP.

Not in Canada.

Really? Thats weird. :\ Can you get the lower strengths of BP?
Because Ive had much more success with 2.5% BP gel than Ive had with the 10%. The lower concentrations kills the bacteria without as bad skin irritation.

MynameisnotDeja said:
Really? Thats weird. :\ Can you get the lower strengths of BP?
Because Ive had much more success with 2.5% BP gel than Ive had with the 10%. The lower concentrations kills the bacteria without as bad skin irritation.

Yup you can get 5% and 2.5% OTC no problem. But for some reason you need a perscription for the 10%. I guess they feel it's too strong for the average JO.

I like the 10% because my skin does not get irritated very easily so it worked for me.

BCPs can be used for acne...

MynameisnotDeja said:
Its not true. The birth control pills absolutely made my face explode. In fact I never had bad acne until I was on them..it started almost immediately after I began taking them and has never gone fully away. Its like they got my system out of whack and its never going to return to normal. :(

(I know that this is bringing up an old thread, but what the hey)

Levonogestrel is a more androgenic progestin and is more likely to promote acne (though not in all women)- it is found in BCPs such as Levlen, Loette, Alesse, etc.

I personally always found that BCPs really helped my acne- a lot of my problem was premenstrual acne. I went entirely off hormonal birth control in October last year, and since then my skin has been completely out of control.

I started on Diane-35 (Dianette in the UK, I believe) a little over 2 weeks ago, and the improvement in my skin has been amazing- I still have a number of pimples on my chin but none of the really painful cysts.

Unfortunately, I've also had my worst migraine in 5 years- I'll just have to wait and see if that's a coincidence or if it happens again.

Not sure but lately my skin has thankfully been great, woyuld love to hear peoples like tricks for acne like what their prefered treatment methods are

quick question:
My friends tell me that heroin usage increases acne. Is this really true?

Well...if you are laying around strung out for long periods of time, I would imagine your personal hygiene would decrease. Also, heroin addicts are not known to have the best diet, so this would not help acne either.

There are a few people talking about sun light being the solution to Acne. I dont belive this. I lived in Queensland (the sunshine state) in australia all my life and I still had acne on my torso, shoulder, neck and face. The only thing the sun will do is give you sunburn and later maybe cancer.

I was fucked around with a few solutions such as creams, sunshine and the like before becoming serious and going for the roccautane (this is branded as acutane and some others but is the real active indgredient).

Now I would recommend it lightly as the consequences can be serious. For example in QLD there was a register of dermatologists who are allowed to prescibe the drug. He would only put me on it after taking a blood sample and testing my liver. Then I had to return to him at regular intervals for more blood tests on the repteats.

There are a range of side effects but I think for most people it is fairly safe. The only side effect I could isolate from the drug was I had permantly dry and cracked lips (not something you want in QLD). I stayed on it for nearly 2 years at a constant dosage. I could see results say within a month, 6 months it was minimized and it stayed this way for the time of the rest of the dosage. I have been off it now for 6 months and I have not had any flare up.

I think it depends on your age, I wouldnt take it if you are going through puberty but as you get older there is only so much of it you can take. I started at 21.

Hope this helps.

From what I've read, the deal with the sun is that a slight burn can close off pores temporarily, due to minor swelling of the area, as well as drying up the skin. HOWEVER, it's not permanent, and when the skin tends to rebound after a little bit and you can end up with more problems after a few days, because your skin will be working overtime to make up for that dryness. In general not a good idea.

*hugs dim_mak* I was there with ya....I'm 27 now and things have begun to chill out a lot more over the past couple of years...just do the best you can and hang in there! Make sure you treat your chest and back the same way you would your face as far as mild cleansers, medication, etc. You might also want to look into using unscented detergent and skipping fabric softener in your wash as this can aggravate skin sometimes.

The Diane-35 has really helped my skin in the last 3 weeks that I've been on it.

Also, I've found that regular moisturising and using unscented/low scent skin products really helps- I think my pimples stem more from irritation than anything else.

Im back on retin a micro and its soooo frustrating. This stuff was a miracle for me before, but now it doesnt even seem like its helping at all! (Ive been using it a little under 2 months). I dont understand why it worked so good before but now my skin is worse than ever. :(