• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A Quote Thread....

From a Gas station down the street from me; "If you're pissed off because the attendant was being rude - you should see the manager."

If I were asked to answer the following question: What is slavery? and I should answer in one word, It is murder, my meaning would be understood at once. No extended argument would be required to show that the power to take from a man his thought, his will, his personality, is a power of life and death; and that to enslave a man is to kill him. Why, then, to this other question: What is property, may I not likewise answer, It is robbery, without the certainty of being misunderstood; the second proposition being no other than a transformation of the first?

- Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

"The middle way is bland, yet it is the best way."

Might of be, but I'll be fucked if I'm going there.

Total personality-compability fail.

When the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain that it takes to change we change

Religion is for ppl who r scared of going to hell spirituality is for ppl who have already been there

"The middle way is bland, yet it is the best way."

Might of be, but I'll be fucked if I'm going there.

Total personality-compability fail.

Not sure what the context was originally, but as a kid who is terrified of the conformation to western, middle class culture, I strongly disagree with the quote. Haha

"Christianity will go, it will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that. I'm right and will be proved right. You just wait...

We're more powerfull than Jesus ever was. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

- John Lennon

"Christianity Today published an article saying that Lennon was practically a Jesus Freak for a very short while until Yoko Ono pulled his chain by inviting over two Christian missionaries for dinner. The missionaries tried to convince that Christ was part of the Holy Trinity and was divine.

This, Lennon had always rejected and was the motivation for his remark about Jesus' disciples being "thick and ordinary" and "ruining" Christianity. Lennon could believe that Jesus was the Son of God in an orthodox Jewish sense, but not in a Hellenized Greek metaphysical concept, of being "God the Son."

After this argument about a divinity of Christ, Lennon became negative and turned off to his brief fling with "being saved." He became critical once again as he had previously been in the '60's, criticizing Bob Dylan's Christian testimony (also short-lived). Yoko was pleased."

Last edited:
This quote means a lot to me. While I was in a state of self-harm and sexual confusion I felt like giving up and accepting the idea of being bisexual, but then I remembered his words
"Reject common sense and make the impossible possible" Kamina from Gurren Lagann.

Sure, I quoted an anime character, and I know it sounds silly that I decided to model my life around a japanese cartoon, but Kamina was awesome.

“After a prayer, a moment of meditation, a contact with the light, you may experience a feeling of fulfilment. Externally, objectively, nothing has happened, it looks as if you’ve received nothing, and yet you’re in a state of plenitude. Yes, because your soul and spirit have been nourished, watered. And in these ‘restaurants’ of the soul and spirit, it’s not like it is on the physical plane, where you’re obliged to eat and drink several times a day in order not to be hungry, thirsty and lifeless.

The nourishment you receive in the sublime regions of the soul and spirit satisfies your hunger and quenches your thirst for days on end. For the divine world contains elements of such richness that, if you manage to capture them just once, you never again lose the feeling of plenitude they give you, and nothing can take away the certainty that you have tasted eternity.”

- Omraam Mikael Aivanhov

In Revelation (King James Version) 1:11,18 there are words that Christ tell to the author of Revelation, John: "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last;...I am he that liveth and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."

I am alpha and omega
I am the beginning and the end

That was one of the first meditations I learned.

^ OMG

"I am nothing.
I will never be anything.
I cannot wish to be anything.
Bar that, I have in me all the dreams of the world."

Pessoa

“When we read, another person thinks for us: we merely repeat his mental process. In learning to write, the pupil goes over with his pen what the teacher has outlined in pencil: so in reading; the greater part of the work of thought is already done for us. This is why it relieves us to take up a book after being occupied with our own thoughts.

And in reading, the mind is, in fact, only the playground of another’s thoughts. So it comes about that if anyone spends almost the whole day in reading, and by way of relaxation devotes the intervals to some thoughtless pastime, he gradually loses the capacity for thinking; just as the man who always rides, at last forgets how to walk. This is the case with many learned persons: they have read themselves stupid.”

-Schopenhauer

You think it is possible to "read yourself stupid?"

Nice quote. Comparing this to 20 years ago when people read books written by smart people to today where people read free computer generated internet news embellished with emoticons and vapid commentary, are there degrees of reading oneself stupid? I find my attention span for reading smart people's ideas is decreasing sadly.

Not exactly related to the Schopenhauer quote which seems to be about rote learning and imagination.

I don't know if you can read yourself stupid but I think there is a point when you realize that a lucid, well-informed, nuanced answer to a meaningful question will often take an essay if not a book length response. Which I think can lead to defeatism.

hope that made sense...

“The course of every intellectual, if he pursues his journey long and unflinchingly enough, ends in the obvious, from which the non-intellectuals have never stirred.” - Huxley

I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn - James Douglas Morrison

La Nausée

for the most banal to become an adventure you must begin to recount it. This is what fools people: a man is always a teller of tales, he lives surrounded by his stories and the stories of others, he sees everything that happens through them; and he tries to live his own life as if he were telling a story....but you have to chose: Live or Tell