• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A Quote Thread....

" The mind in itself can make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell" -unknown

"'Cause sometimes you just feel tired,
Feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
And just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up
And not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse." -Marshall Mathers

There is but one unconditional commandment, which is that we should seek incessantly, with fear and trembling, so to vote and to act as to bring about the very largest total universe of good which we can see. - William James

"Every grain a rice leftover is the value of your eye". - Mother

"The nail that sticks up, must be hammered down" - Japanese

"Lightening will strike you" - Mother.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I'll add one of my own:

"Humility is a consequential virtue. Humility is a consequence of having real intellectual honesty and integrity, which in turn is a manifestation of unswerving commitment to truth. It is a fragrance, as it were, coming from the blossoming of intellectual honesty and integrity growing out of the root that is commitment to truth.

Thus the antidote for arrogance is not humility, for being a consequential virtue, humility cannot be directly pursued. If you directly “pursue” or “practice” humility, you will only become a hypocrite, pretending to be humble but in reality arrogant. The only true antidote to arrogance is commitment to truth, and intellectual honesty and integrity you develop therefrom.

Another consequential virtue of your commitment to truth and intellectual honesty and integrity is wisdom—the discerning acumen with which you know what you know, what you don’t know, and the difference between the two. Therefore, you who are truly wise are also really humble, remaining always an eternal student of life.
"
-Osho

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." -- Elie Wiesel

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." = Morticia Addams

“There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees.”

“We need to interpret interpretations more than to interpret things.”

“I quote others only to better express myself.”

- M.Montaigne

^^ good stuff on this page, you two

"expecting the world to treat you well because you are a good person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you are a vegetarian"

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”

-William W. Purkey

An appropriate quote from Jesus from the Gnostic Bible (which might have been left out of the present bible or changed in some way):

"I took my place in the midst of the world, and I appeared to them in flesh. I found all of them intoxicated, I found none of them thirsty. And my soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are blind in their hearts and do not have sight, for empty they came into the world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent."

Right on, because you get intoxicated by spirit too. That is the real intoxication and no drug can compare to that. As a small child you are still so filled with spirit you're intoxicated as a permanent state, but it's a different and more real intoxication than what drug brings. Also, you can become intoxicated by being in nature, around young children, or more spiritual people.

Though you need to be in a state where this is possible or you are sensitive and aware of it and I think this is what he also means is lacking. Like, when you're in a high state you might feel a sense of ecstacy being in nature, but in a lower state you feel nothing. It's because, I think Peter Deunov's follower said, "Your consciousness casts a dark shadow over it".

Actually, this is one of his quotes which makes me quiver a bit, though I don't need to "shake off my wine" to repent and think I have been one of the most "thirsty". I use it as a substitute.

There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.

Dalai Lama

"Though many have found the way, have won emancipation, and, kneeling once more at the foot of the Great White Throne, have laid in His majestic hands, who sits thereon, the harvest of their many lives, the great masses of humanity remain behind. It is to the masses that we come, offering to share their burdens, and to lend them our strength. Come then, human brothers, and enter on the pathway of return, for the angels travel by your side."

- "The Coming of the Angels", Geoffrey Hodson

"i wrote the story myself. it's about a girl who lost her reputation and never missed it" ---mae west
fox: that one's gettin printed out and put on my wall
smile.gif
I absolutely love this one!! One of my favorite quotes that I live by, is "A successful woman, builds a firm foundation, with the bricks that others have thrown at her"

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

From a song by GRiZ, "Fred Calls/Outro"

"When you add up all the highs and lows the joy the pain the lightness and the dark everything cancels itself out in the end we're all just headed towards zero. the net charge of the universe is zero. An infinite force pushing against infinite opposite for all of eternity and that equals zero. In other words zero and infinity are two sides of the same equation which is to say

The moment is eternal and eternal is the moment...

The moment is eternal. Eternity exists in this moment and therefore we are eternal. Therefore we are in heaven and hell, hell is being in heaven and not realizing it. Lifetime, after lifetime, after lifetime..."

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

― Marilyn Monroe

"And you can fly
High as a kite if you want to
Faster than light if you want to
Speeding through the universe
Thinking is the best way to travel"

- "The Best Way To Travel", Moody Blues (Pinder)

“The weak die out and the strong will survive, and will live on forever”
― Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition ,Christianity, one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded on fables and mythology. The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being and his father, and the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." - Thomas Jefferson :p

"Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. Against true luminance the bright ones lose their sheen, but through humility the dullest fool can fail discretely."