• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Football 2021 NFL Season

Can't give an objective take here but I don't think I've ever gone from being as elated to as deflated by a football game in my 30 years of watching.

Heck of a game on both sides. Buffalo made mistakes that you just can't make and expect to win. Shaping up to be a hell of a decade in the AFC.

Here I was happy that Brady was no longer in the way....

I personally think that it should either be,

a) both teams get an opportunity with the ball even if first possession is TD,

b) the team who wins the flip decides if they want to defend or play offense - if they choose defend they need to get a turnover, either on downs, or otherwise. If they choose offense they must score to win.

c) there is a pre decided factor before kickoff in the event it goes to OT team x will get the ball bc of y criteria (season point difference, record, daily precipitation over under, idc just any inane fact that if x happens then team y gets choice)

It's heartbreaking knowing they were going tit for tat and didn't get the opportunity to get on the field to match it but, it is the current rule (not that rules are applied with even the slightest amount of consistency - even in this game with a supposed "let em play mentality" from that ref group) so it is what it is .

The bills should've done so much different on special teams on that kickoff with 13 seconds on the clock. Then they shouldve played different defense within that 13 seconds. Why have 4 on the line? Why play to prevent TD instead of stopping them from getting past the 50? Why is Hill not getting raped at the line and why is he getting any space beyond it, after he just smoked you with space not even 5 minutes earlier?

i'd go for option 'a'.

if it's a tie after both teams have had possession, then sudden death.

alasdair

i disagree. If your offense is all that then win with your offense and don't allow it to go to ot.

when it goes to ot, there's a 50/50 shot you'll play offense, but you get unlucky and get defense. Ok.

time for the defense and the defensive coaching staff to step the fuck up and hold them to a FG. You don't have to prevent them from scoring AT ALL, just don't let them run you down and score 6. Then you WILL get a shot with the ball.

but me personally, I like seeing awesome defensive play. I like seeing it valued. Get an interception. Make a tackle. Sack the qb.

you have a chance. Totally fair IMO.

you're absolutely right

your defense needs to make the stop

defense wins championships

i hate a shootout with bad defense too - that's not fun to watch if you ask me

I liked Red Wolves.

NSFW:
Washington Monuments.

viewing memorial season 3 GIF
season 3 comments GIF

We used to not care what was offensive. And honestly names are words are not offensive, it is the vibe behind it. Anything can be said with love or anything can be said with hate. But I definitely think we’ve become too damn sensitive.

Washington Commanders ....

hmm
Ugh 😩 so dumb

that's bad

they should stay red-something

or just be an asshole and stay "the football team" - that's probably what i would do just to say fuck you
Yeah, should've been red wolves (like basically the entirety of the fan base wanted) or just stayed as football team. I would've been fine with either. Fucking commanders, as bad as the Cleveland guardians or whatever. Classic Dan Snyder/Redskins move. Do the thing that literally NO ONE wanted.
I liked Red Wolves.

NSFW:
Washington Monuments.

viewing memorial season 3 GIF
season 3 comments GIF
The Washington "Ball is Life" Mall Goths

We used to not care what was offensive. And honestly names are words are not offensive, it is the vibe behind it. Anything can be said with love or anything can be said with hate. But I definitely think we’ve become too damn sensitive.
I definitely remember hearing many native people who liked the old name.
Yeah, they should've just called themselves the Washington Brownskins and had a portrait of Martin Luther King Jr as a mascot. That definitely wouldn't have been offensive or bothered anyone. It's just words right?

Yeah, they should've just called themselves the Washington Brownskins and had a portrait of Martin Luther King Jr as a mascot. That definitely wouldn't have been offensive or bothered anyone. It's just words right?

i get where you're coming from, for real I do. But if the majority of the group you're trying to protect by changing the name has no problem with the name, what are you really doing at the end of the day? Do you do it for the minority that are offended? Legit question, I can see it either way.

I'm all for modifying language and changing shit if it's causing real pain or a problem. But if it's just for PR or virtue signaling or whatever, I think it's a bad look.

Why didn't they work with the local tribes to come up with a name that could have still honored them in a meaningful way ? I don't get how you go from redskins to something that sounds just as white supremacy-y in "Commanders".

i get where you're coming from, for real I do. But if the majority of the group you're trying to protect by changing the name has no problem with the name, what are you really doing at the end of the day? Do you do it for the minority that are offended? Legit question, I can see it either way.

I'm all for modifying language and changing shit if it's causing real pain or a problem. But if it's just for PR or virtue signaling or whatever, I think it's a bad look.

Why didn't they work with the local tribes to come up with a name that could have still honored them in a meaningful way ? I don't get how you go from redskins to something that sounds just as white supremacy-y in "Commanders".
The problem, is that it's a racial slur, whether people find it "offensive" or not. In the PC wars today, many people loath to be thought of as "offended". Do you think certain minority groups are any different?

The term was coined by colonialists, and was used interchangeably with "savages" and shit like that.

I agree, they should have actually worked with Native American groups to come up with a better name. Commanders is dumb, but honestly it's about what I expected from the capital of America. It's blatantly militaristic and jingoistic, just like America fucking loves.

The real shame, is that now I'm fucking stuck with it, as it's my home team. I don't even know. I didn't watch a single playoff game. I feel kinda shitty honestly, but like, I just haven't been able to get into football this year, after the shit year Washington had again. Even Baltimore got trampled.

I'm sure I'll watch the Super Bowl though. Idk who I'm rooting for.

Probably LA.

The problem, is that it's a racial slur, whether people find it "offensive" or not. In the PC wars today, many people loath to be thought of as "offended". Do you think certain minority groups are any different?

The term was coined by colonialists, and was used interchangeably with "savages" and shit like that.

I agree, they should have actually worked with Native American groups to come up with a better name. Commanders is dumb, but honestly it's about what I expected from the capital of America. It's blatantly militaristic and jingoistic, just like America fucking loves.

The real shame, is that now I'm fucking stuck with it, as it's my home team. I don't even know. I didn't watch a single playoff game. I feel kinda shitty honestly, but like, I just haven't been able to get into football this year, after the shit year Washington had again. Even Baltimore got trampled.

I'm sure I'll watch the Super Bowl though. Idk who I'm rooting for.

Probably LA.

IDK. I know how the term used to be used way back when. But I don't ever remember hearing it in a derogatory way in my lifetime. Not even like on old cartoons or tv shows. Savages is different i think. I mean, if that's the case, why aren't the Chiefs in the same boat? I've actually heard natives mockingly called "Chief" much more.

hey man, at least you have Ron Rivera. I'd kill to have him back.

IDK. I know how the term used to be used way back when. But I don't ever remember hearing it in a derogatory way in my lifetime. Not even like on old cartoons or tv shows. Savages is different i think. I mean, if that's the case, why aren't the Chiefs in the same boat? I've actually heard natives mockingly called "Chief" much more.

hey man, at least you have Ron Rivera. I'd kill to have him back.
Well yeah, that's the thing. It's a dated term that is no longer in common parlance, because it has no real function outside of being an antiquated slur.

Chiefs are just as bad, and there are plenty of people calling for them to change that name, as well as all of the Native American imagery.

It's just disrespectful to appropriate a cultures imagery like that and use it to make profit. In my, and plenty of others, opinion anyway.

How about this idiot Flores who's mad that he didn't get the Giants job?

I wonder if he knows they actually interviewed 3 black guys total - him, Leslie Frazier, and Patrick Graham - twice each too

so this whole Rooney Rule claim he's making kinda collapses on itself

He's like a crazy ex-girlfriend

Giants fans should be very thankful they didn't hire him

How about this idiot Flores who's mad that he didn't get the Giants job?

I wonder if he knows they actually interviewed 3 black guys total - him, Leslie Frazier, and Patrick Graham - twice each too

so this whole Rooney Rule claim he's making kinda collapses on itself

He's like a crazy ex-girlfriend

Giants fans should be very thankful they didn't hire him

the whole thing is kinda weird to me...

how do any of his claims point to racism, exactly? I haven't been able to figure that out.