View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

2-methylamino-1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)propan-1-one

iom

Bluelighter
Is there any data on human trials with the compound 2-methylamino-1-(2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)propan-1-one?

or maybe it could also be correctly named:

2,5-dimethoxy-N-methyl-cathinone.

My ASCII chemical drawings don't seem to work in here since I can't set up a fixed width font AFAICT. Anyway, from the left side (the phenyl ring) it looks like a 2C-X drug without anything on the '4' position, but on the right side, it looks like Methylone. I'm not even sure that this compound "should" be active, but if it is active, it certainly looks like it would be interesting. I wonder if it has a shorter name? Maybe DMONE? ;)

Last edited:
Looks like the cathinone "version" of 2C-H. This is probably not active, but useful as a precursor for other chemicals.

sounds like some pretty interesting precursor material, if ya ask me......

-j.

A supplier of mine gave me the responce of what this chemical is:
2,5 Dimethoxy methacathinone
Is there any info on this chemical anywhere?

it's probly like 25dma only weaker, which means basically it's still a precurser to bigger and better things such DOx cathinone analogs etc...

morninggloryseed said:
This is probably not active, but useful as a precursor for other chemicals.
Anectodal report(s) seem to possibly disagree with you on this one. An apparent 50 or 60 mg (insufflated?) produced stimulation and mild empathogenic effects/psychedelia. Still not too much information to go on though!

although there's no way to say for sure...it looks like substituting something at the 4 position (^^^^ sure like a bromine or iodine molecule, or many other possible things) would make it active, which would make a whole new series of possible active compounds.

too bad i don't have a lab and a degree in organic chem. hopefully in a few years from now.....

Uhh, actually that's a drawing of 3,5-dimethoxycathinone...dunno if that's what you were going for.

yeah, it is. and he was going for the 2,5-methoxy form.

everybody just assume that the "OCH3" at the bottom of the benzene ring over one to the right..

And it seems the N-methyl group has been lost too....

Actually it would be the cathinone "version" of 2,5-DMA.

In fact I stand corrected. It would be the methcathinone "version" of 2,5-DMMA

Last edited:
Here is the right one.

2,5-dmo-cathinone.jpg

Last edited:
I just thought I'd post this quote from one of the "Ask Shulgin" articles, as it relates to this topic somewhat:

There is a close similarity of structure of the three pharmacologically active compounds, methamphetamine, ephedrine and methcathinone. In fact, except for the degree of oxidation on the beta-carbon atom, they are identical. Methamphetamine has two hydrogens there (H,H), ephedrine has a hydroxyl group there (H,OH) and methcathinone has a ketone group there (=O).

Ephedrine can be reduced to methamphetamine in a number of ways, and in fact this is currently the most popular illegal process for making it. It can be oxidized easily to give methcathinone, but I know of no process that can go directly from an amphetamine to a cathinone.

I have long speculated that maybe some of these conversions might take place enzymatically in the brain. It is difficult for most polar compounds to cross the lipophilic Blood Brain Barrier (the BBB) and that hydroxy group in ephedrine (H,OH) is pretty polar. So maybe methamphetamine (not very polar) can get into the brain, and be oxidized there. Similarly, methcathinone (also not very polar) can get into the brain, and be reduced there. The product of both reactions would be ephedrine, and so it may be the sole active principle for both of these stimulants but it is metabolically created within the brain. Following this hypothetical pathway, I wondered if 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) might actually be converted to the ephedrine analog in the brain (H,H to H,OH), and that this metabolite might be the actual active drug.

Carrying this argument one step further, the obvious challenge would be to see just how the cathinone counterpart of MDMA (3,4- methylenedioxymethcathinone) might compare in activity to MDMA. If it were to cross the BBB and be reduced to that hypothetical ephedrine analog (=O to H,OH) it might have the same potency and psychopharmacology as MDMA. So I made the compound (I called it Methylone) and by golly it has almost the same potency, but it doesn't produce the same effects. It has an almost antidepressant action, pleasant and positive, but not the unique magic of MDMA. Its properties will be given in detail in Ann's and my third book, which should be out in a couple of years.

-- Dr. Shulgin

He mentions another book coming out? Anyone have any more info on that? Is it going to be like another PIHKAL or something?

Has anybody tried this yet? It's been out a while, the two anecdotal reports I've heard of made it sound possibly excellent.

Yeah, where are these 'two anecdotal reports'? I might try it for y'all just based on 'em. It's either this, methylone, or MBDB in my near future...

i've heard the 2,5-DMMC is stimulating and psychedelic, entactogenic in nature and lasts for quite a long time. but this is not first hand info. i'm somewhat interested in this methcathinone. if i run a trial i'll write something up.