• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

2-ethyl-3-phenyl-4(3H)-quinazolinone (Methaqualone Analogue)

cegli

Bluelighter
Does anyone have any thoughts on this chemical?

2-ethyl-3-phenyl-4(3H)-quinazolinone (Methaqualone Analog)

ImagesHandler.ashx

It's being called Ephinazone for reasons unknown to me. It's basically Methaqualone, with the 2-methyl on the quinazolinone ring extended to a 2-ethyl, and the methyl on the phenyl ring removed.

Methaqualone for comparison:

357px-Methaqualone2.svg.png

I'm trying to figure out the logic of this one, and all I have is some (probably inaccurate) musings. So far from a SAR point of view we've seen:

Changes to 2-methyl:
Ethyl - Etaqualone - Too short, effects not as good as Methaqualone.
Bromine - Mebroqualone - Too short, effects not as good as Methaqualone.
Chloro -Mecloqualone - Used as prescription drug, never took off like Methaqualone. Short and there's probably a good reason why it was never too popular.

Other:
4-methylmethaqualone - Heard it was somewhat decent, but can cause seizures.

I've never seen a single analogue with nothing on the phenyl ring. Lengthening the 2-methyl to a 2-ethyl has been done before in Chloroqualone, but with the di-chloro on there, you can't really get a good idea of the SAR.

Now here's where I'm really out of my league and may make a fool of myself. Why would you remove the methyl from the phenyl and tack it onto the quinazolinone? Why wouldn't you first try just lengthening the methyl on the quinazolinone first, or just remove the methyl from the phenyl? Take each change one step at a time, to observe the SAR and not get too far from Methaqulone.

My only guess was to keep the bulk the same and the electronegativity similar for that region of the molecule?

Remember I have no chemistry background, so go easy on me :).

Edit: Just noticed that Ethinazone was a brand name for Etaqualone, so Ephinazone is some kind of play on that.

Last edited:
The name ephinazone is going to be confusing because of Ethinazone lol i can't really find any info on it anywhere but noticed it has popped up on the RC market, did a search and found this thread.

No clue about the pharmacology or chemistry of this chemical but would love to hear from others about how it may theoretically differ from methaqualone or etaqualone. Judging by the price, it should be more potent than etaqualone, although i know that price is no indication of anything really.

Are there any user reports you've read? I can't seem to find anything about this chemical.

The phenyl ring, not the phenol ring. Very different.

Perhaps they were hoping to limit whatever it was about MMQ that increased seizures, and maybe increase the duration by going from methyl to ethyl. I dunno.

I think they were probably just thinking "what can we make cheap and pseudo-legal?" and then they made this.

The phenyl ring, not the phenol ring. Very different.

Perhaps they were hoping to limit whatever it was about MMQ that increased seizures, and maybe increase the duration by going from methyl to ethyl. I dunno.

I think they were probably just thinking "what can we make cheap and pseudo-legal?" and then they made this.

Whoops, yep typo there. Edited it. I hope that they had more of a plan than that, but you definitely could be right.

cegli,

Adding a methyl group would make it stronger. As far as duration i've got a sneaky feeling it would make it shorter. I don't know if it would have the same sideeffects as Qualude . They took them of the market because it caused aplastic amemia where u make no blood cells. I saw a heavy lude user get cut with a straight rasor getting shaved at a barber shop. He was pale as a ghost and I didn't see one drop of blood. I didn't do ludes 2 heavy but I quit,IT didn't matter they took them away couple months later in 84.

I'm on the fence about ordering this. I haven't tried EQ or MQ. Anyone want to guess what an active dose would be?

cegli,

Adding a methyl group would make it stronger. As far as duration i've got a sneaky feeling it would make it shorter. I don't know if it would have the same sideeffects as Qualude . They took them of the market because it caused aplastic amemia where u make no blood cells. I saw a heavy lude user get cut with a straight rasor getting shaved at a barber shop. He was pale as a ghost and I didn't see one drop of blood. I didn't do ludes 2 heavy but I quit,IT didn't matter they took them away couple months later in 84.

I couldn't find any information pointing to aplastic anemia being a cause of discontinuing Methaqualone. Every source says it was due to abuse potential. Any reason why you think adding a methyl group to the phenyl ring would make it stronger? Just because it's more like Methaqualone? Making it an ethyl sure didn't make it stronger (ala Etaqualone).

ThaDudeAbides - I would guess it would be roughly the same as EQ, MQ, etc, but I doubt anyone knows. Start veeeery low and work your way up. For all we know it could be the most potent quinazolinone ever! Though it's probably not...

Thedudeabides, as has been said, work your way up varefylly.

One can always take more of a drug should the dose taken prove insufficient; but one can never take less.

Well, I will have some experience with this compound in 2 days time. I'm surprised there aren't any experience reports out already, either that or I'm the only one stupid enough to try it.

Well, I will have some experience with this compound in 2 days time. I'm surprised there aren't any experience reports out already, either that or I'm the only one stupid enough to try it.

Awesome. I don't think it's stupid, just make sure to work your way up very slowly. Could be excellent or in could even be inactive. Very interested in your report. Be sure to post it here when you have any info.

I'm not surprised by the lack of reports, etaqualone was a big let down and i imagine anything good is not going to hit the market due to abuse potential. Still i await reports of this one, given the price, it's worth a shot but not if it has the potential to be dangerous or a complete flop like etaqualone.

lets do the methyl group dance

eWq3s9f.png

why not 6-flluoromethaqualone or 8-fluoromethaqualone

im just saying ....

Bump, so how was it? I'm curious =D

Bump, so how was it? I'm curious =D

If you ask me, the Methaqualone analogs are a dead end. They are all very short lived, are all of fairly low potency (MMQ, MBQ being the exceptions, maybe), and the risk of seizure is very real. Not worth it.

Ethaqualone was shit, Mebroqualone was nice, but very short lived (60 minutes, back to baseline TOPS) and hard to find a good ROA for.
Thus, I can't imagine this one being worthwhile, while maybe exciting for some to pursue.

If you ask me, the Methaqualone analogs are a dead end. They are all very short lived, are all of fairly low potency (MMQ, MBQ being the exceptions, maybe), and the risk of seizure is very real. Not worth it.

Ethaqualone was shit, Mebroqualone was nice, but very short lived (60 minutes, back to baseline TOPS) and hard to find a good ROA for.
Thus, I can't imagine this one being worthwhile, while maybe exciting for some to pursue.

I'm sure there are undiscovered analogs that are great. We just don't know which are great, because we have almost no information on the SAR of Quinazolinones. It's easy to make a good RC benzo, because we know what is good and what is not. It's easy to make a good RC Phenethylamine/Tryptamine because of TiHKAL and PiHKAL. Look through the PiHKAL and check out how many terrible dead ends Shulgin made to find the great ones. Vendors occasionally pull some decent RC Opiates from patents. We don't have this info for Quinazolinones.

I'm sure if we had a book of 100 analogs and their effects we could pick out some golden ones. Right now, the spray and pray method hasn't yielded anything great, but eventually something will be great. The whole seizure thing is a bit unfortunate though... Makes studying them pretty dangerous!

Also, Sekio's idea seem like a new direction that could work. Stay as close as possible without it actually being methaqualone. Playing with the phenyl ring hasn't yielded anything very interesting so far.

Wish I knew how they discovered Methaqualone and what they tested on the way to it.

Last edited:
It would be really interesting to see binding assays, at GABA and glutamate receptors. IIRC the convulsive effect of methylmethaqualone was due to AMPA receptor agonism. Which IMO renders the compound extremely dangerous. Excitotoxicty is no laughing matter. Just look at domoic acid, the neurotoxic AMPA/kainate direct agonist produced by some species of toxic dinoflagellate blooms. The damage, in those that survive includes longterm memory loss, which can be permanent, as the toxin fries the hippocampus and amygdala.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domoic_acid_poisoning

This needs to be bumped! =D

Any luck w/ this compound Liga? i'm curious myself- looking for alternative GABAergics to utilize rather than the barbiturate i'm currently on (under a doctor's supervision no less); i've tried multiple different GABAergics.. but it seems pure GABA-a positive modulators like benzodiazepines don't work w/ my barbiturate tolerance (& no, its not phenobarbital; which is crap for the type of pain it's supposed to be used for.. as i can't, & wont, take opiates/opioids since i'm stabilized on buprenorphine therapy).. I need something that also concurrently possesses appreciable NMDA-antagonist effects to replace- & it seems a potentially viable MQ analog would do the job? I have a source, but don't want to waste the cash until I know this (or any other MQ analog or centrally active quinazolinone) WORKS

Some interesting new Ephinazone points:

1. I have tried this up to 15mg now in 1mg, then 5mg, then 10mg increments. No effects as expected.

2. Not water soluble! Tried using volumetric measurement, bad idea... Slightly soluble in Ethanol, though the solubility wasn't great.

3. This wasn't randomly chosen out of the blue. Finally found this information:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=K5u...phenyl- 4(3H)-quinazolinone microgram&f=false

Turns out it was in fake pressed Quaalude pills in 1984 in New Jersey. Unfortunately the microgram's referenced are not available anywhere that I could find. Looks like someone filed a Freedom-of-Information Act to get them and were denied. Seems that knowledge may have been lost to the abyss.

The book says it has activity at 100-200mg for 5-6 hours. We will have to see if that is true or not! They may have just been guessing based on Methaqualone.