• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 10 weeks off short term use of Gabapentin

I suffered withdrawal from gabapentin for 2 years after short term use for only a couple of weeks. After that I gave up, reinstated and now I am even more depressed because of the medicine than I was from the remaining withdrawal. I hate this drug with all my heart, though it's a godsend for nerve pain. But there are so many better drugs out there to be honest for that which does not cause depression as a side effect.

The withdrawal never goes away though. It did not for me. I hope you have more luck.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Taper really slow @ 10 % a month.

This is the kind of shit in talking about bc. Condisider reinstating and taper really slow.

Jesus. Sorry to hear all of that.

I would say that a lot of symptoms have improved very significantly. Heart palps, pins & needles, and nerve pain are for the most part gone, although they come in some arbitrary intervals. Cognitive impairment has improved. Derealization is at a minimal this week.

I still have EXTREME anxiety (can barely drive), some crappy insomnia, jitteriness, and anger/irrational fears, although the anger/irrational fears are reducing as well. I also have some lingering feelings of tingling on the right side of my body which comes and goes, but when it comes it is a lot less severe than it used to be.

I still don't feel like myself though, and think its a combination of this gabapentin bullshit and benzo withdrawal, as I'm sure the gabapentin virtually screwed up my central nervous system. Things seem to be improving though. I'm ready for the days without severe anxiety and jitteriness.

In weird fashion, my physical symptoms are better now, but my anxiety seems to be worse than it was a month ago.

I'm not too sure what is going on, but I like to think that I am on the right track to getting better.

Nice to hear you're improving at least. On the account of your physical symptoms being better but the anxiety being worse, I can say that happened to me too. The problems seemed to come in waves, it was either the physical problems, the anxiety, or both. These "waves" could last hours or days.

Avoid caffeine like the plague it makes the symptoms worse. Other than that there is not much to make it better. Memantine or other NMDAR antagonists helped alot. Takes all that burning pain and creepy crawlers away.

I take benzos to help with the withdraw, and honestly being down to 300 mgs a day I am starting to feel stable again. Could be the Benzos of course, but I am determined to beat this thing and simply refuse to believe that this is as serious as everyone is making it out to be.

We got this.

Okay, so a quick update...

For the most part, I am doing somewhat okay. I am able to work most days and have the cognitive skills to do my tasks and function efficiently. I am usually able to get a decent nights sleep with 10mg-15mg melatonin. I have been doing a lot of socializing which has been nice, and I am been doing it without any problem. I had a few nights where I went drinking and got a pretty good drunk but had a bitch of a hangover the next day. My derealization is mostly at bay, and for the first time in a long time, I am sleeping comfortably instead of having some arbitrary, random fear. I went on a weekend trip 200 miles away from my home without any problem whatsoever.

These are not constant, though, and some come back from time to time, mainly the insomnia and sometimes the cog fog.

HOWEVER, I still do have a lot of aggravating and disruptive problems. My anxiety is through the roof all the time. This prevents me from driving, which is pissing me off. I have nerve pain that comes and goes, and it is always concentrated on the right side of my body (right arm and leg). When this kicks up it's unbearable! I usually have to take 2-3 percocets to get this under control. I have been dealing with some depression over this entire situation. My hair is still falling out.

Whenever I take the percocets, it seems to rev up my symptoms. I almost always get derealization shortly after I take the percocet, but that goes away in about two hours. I also usually get worsening symptoms of all this gabapentin/benzo withdrawal crap like two or three days AFTER I take percocet. I took a heartburn medication last night and it had me feeling terrible (shakiness, rapid heartbeat). And on and on and on. So, ideally I would like to stay off ALL medications and OTC but it can be hard when the nerve pain is strong.

So my body still has some healing to do, namely with handling anxiety, driving, and not having terrible hangovers after drinking. I am going to minimialize the drinking to only special occassions to let my brain heal more.

Based upon when I wrote this, I would say that there has been improvement. Trucking on one day at a time.

What people have described very much resonates with my experience trying to come off gabapentin. Long periods of abstinence are unthinkable as the physical side effects are totally unbearable. Even benzos don't totally alleviate them although they do help. Titration works for a while, but it seems to have a ceiling effect. Once I reach a certain point, further titration isn't helpful as it's just as bad as total cessation.

At this point I honestly think I'm stuck on this stuff for good. I don't like the idea of having such a crutch, but honestly I don't notice any side effects from 900mg gabapentin a day. My concern is that it is no longer particularly effective for nerve pain/RLS. I don't want to increase the dose, but I also don't want to take something for the sole reason that not taking it is going to suck.

Hey BC just so you know I have the same experience with antacids. I take zantac. When I get heartburn real bad I have to take it but when I do, I start getting heartburn much more frequently and it totally jacks with my fragile nervous system. It makes me feel like ass I noticed. It also depletes B12 levels. I supplement with the methylcobalymin sun-lingual form at 5000 mcg. It gives you energy but not a speedy type of energy. B12 plays a role in making natural melatonin as well so you may get some benefit out of it. It does help me and the magnesium does a lot too. You would probably want to try less than 5000mcg if you do and titrate up until you see how you react. But if you take zantac or PPIs you need to be supplementing with that. They can also deplete magnesium.

From the wiki:

Vitamin B12 deficiency can potentially cause severe and irreversible damage, especially to the brain and nervous system. At levels only slightly lower than normal, a range of symptoms such as fatigue, depression, and poor memory may be experienced.[2]Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of mania and psychosis.[28][29] Vitamin B12 deficiency is most commonly caused by low intakes, but can also result from malabsorption, certain intestinal disorders, low presence of binding proteins, and using of certain medications. Vitamin B12 is rare from plant sources, so vegetarians are most likely to suffer from vitamin B12 deficiency. Infants are at a higher risk of vitamin B12 deficiency if they were born to vegetarian mothers. The elderly who have diets with limited meat or animal products are vulnerable populations as well.[30] Vitamin B12 deficiency can manifest itself as anemia and in some cases cause permanent neurological damage. Recent studies showed depression is associated with vitamin B12 deficiency; sufficient vitamin B12 level was independently associated with a decreased risk of depression and better cognitive performance adjusted for confounders. Vitamin B12 is a co-substrate of various cell reactions involved in methylation synthesis of nucleic acid and neurotransmitters. Synthesis of the trimonoamine neurotransmitters can enhance the effects of a traditional antidepressant.[31] The intracellular concentrations of vitamin B12 can be inferred through the total plasma concentration of homocysteine, which can be converted to methionine through an enzymatic reaction that uses 5-methyletetrahydrofolate as the methyl donor group. Consequently, the plasma concentration of homocysteine falls as the intracellular concentration of vitamin B12 rises. The active metabolite of vitamin B12 is required for the methylation of homocysteine in the production of methionine, which is involved in a number of biochemical processes including the monoamine neurotransmitters. Thus, a deficiency in vitamin B12 may impact the production and function of those neurotransmitters.[32]
Imerslund-Gräsbeck syndrome is a rare disease where there is selective malabsorption of cobalamine with proteinuria caused due to defect in ileal receptor.

Hey prodigy,

I'm on 900 mg too atm and I have been on it for a few years. I had to go a week without it once (I was at 3200 mg day then) and it was pretty bad. Not looking forward to kicking that after I finish with this one. Have you tried tapering really slowly ever? Like only 10% a month slow? You might have better luck. For some people that are sensitive to gabapentin withdrawal you have to do it like that from what I've read.

Last edited:
jammin,

Thanks for the suggestions, man. I actually did try Vitamin B12 but that seemed to rev up my anxiety a lot, as well as send my appetite through the roof. I seriously was eating nonstop and was NEVER full. I've also tried magnesium (oxide and citrate) which actually sort of made me a little shaky as well. It seems like all these supplements and medications do more harm than good so I am going to stay away from everything.

Right now I'm in a bad wave of symptoms. CRAZY anxiety, rapid heart rate, and irrational fears/derealization. The rapid heart rate and the fears/DR were mostly gone but all of this comes back a few days after I take Percocet, and I also get the DR for like an hour or two after I take it. I last took Percocet last week (3 on Thurs, 4 on Fri) and my symptoms have been slowly getting worse this week. Waiting for them to go away.

Your nervous system is super sensitized right now you could just try lowering the dosage. You an also just use epsom salts and swish it around your mouth a few times a day, they have a kind you can spray on your skin too. Epsom salt baths. It actually absorbs better through your skin. There is a good chance your supplies are running low man. A lot of your symptoms mimic magnesium deficiency. It is really the only thing that helps gabapentin withdrawal much. It's a natural calcium channel blocker. Neurontin acts a calcium channel blocker. Those are really the only two I recommend bc natural is the way to go but you can do permanent damage to your nervous system if you are low. There's a lot of different brands and quality too. Some people can't tolerate it but they both really help me a lot. I use one called remag. It's liquid so you could take as little as you need. I just hate to see you suffering. What you have been going through can totally deplete that stuff.

There is some good info here on different kinds of magnesium. There is a lot of info on what you are going through now with the withdrawal and everything too. If you have the time you may want to browse through some of it.

Also, as you get further down the road things will calm down. It can be a slow process though. I probably wouldn't have been able to tolerate much when I was early in on my wd either. So you may have better luck with them as you move forward. Hope you feel better soon bc. I still check up on you. Sorry to hear you are still having the cycling going on with it getting worse. Just remember this type of imbalance isn't always a linear process.

Last edited:
Thanks bro. Yes youre right, my CNS is real sensitive right now. Just trying to get through this. I hate that my symptoms have been revved up right now.

Not all is bad news, though. Overall I like to look at the big picture of improvement; back in December I couldn't even fall asleep at all nor did I have the energy to shower on a daily basis. Now my fatigue is gone, my energy is back, and I sleep more or less okay with the exception of right now with these increased symptoms.

3.5 months off gabapentin. About 10 months off benzos.

Well, an improvement is an improvement right? I'm 10 months in myself. Still fucked up pretty bad but I'm getting better too. The percocets could be messing with you too. I'm trying my best to not do any drugs for a while too until I get better but I still drink and smoke some. This shit can get rough man, I know. Hang in there. Probably not much longer.

I think the percocets are definitely doing harm. They have the same pattern; feel pretty good when on them (maybe get some derealization for the first hour or two), feel good the next day, begin experiencing revved up gabapentin/benzo withdrawal symptoms the next day, intensify the next day, etc. I keep resorting back to the percocet because of nerve pain that comes and goes.

I drink on occasion which leads to some annoying hangovers but I don't really care because I need to have some fun and socialize while going through this bullshit. I also went on a weekend trip last month which I would never have been able to do a few months back.

Ok so I got off a four year daily use Valium and ambient habit in September in a detox. Got the usual bento withdrawal such as extreme fatigue, cog fog, anxiety and insomnia, etc. a

During this I would drink a few beers at various events like holidays or birthdays with no problem, although they'd give me a BRUTAL hangover the next day.

In the beginning of February I took gabapentin which lasted until the end of March at doses ranging from 1200-2100mg. When I finally got off of it I went into a totally different type of withdrawal; STRONG de realization, irrational fears, HORRIBLE nerve pain, pins and needles, etc. These were much worse than the benzo withdrawal.

Ever since I got off of them I haven't really been able to handle alcohol well. If I drink a lot I'll be okay and usually get a happy drunk unless symptoms flair up. But last night I had two beers and have been shaking for like a few hours now, like it wants more. This was NEVER the case when I had a beer or two once I got off benzos.

What the hell is going on? Did I permanently damage my GABA receptors? How could this still be going on four months after I stopped a short term use of gabapentin?

I need this to end!!!! I hate this so goddamn much it has made my life a living nightmare and I can't take it anymore!!!

I have been around bl for a while and been using drug's since I was a little kid. I can not kick my addiction to gabapentin I came off of bupe and methadone way easier then the gabapentin belive it or not :D it is not intense coming off like it was with opiate's but I always feel off even 3 month's after stopping it.

Hang in there BC! No you didn't damage your GABA receptors, gabapentin doesn't even work on GABA. Could have PAWs from from the benzos but more than likely you just can't tolerate drugs right now because of your nervous system. My withdrawal has pretty much killed all drugs for me. Nothing makes me feel good really anymore and flares up my withdrawals. I'm sensitive to pretty much everything. I can't even drink a coke without throwing up and feeling sick. It just takes time. I know when it has been a few months it doesn't feel like its going to end but it will. Have you tried just taking a small amount of the stuff to see if you feel any better? Reinstatement may not even work this late in the game but it might be worth it.

Just dropped from 900 mg to 600 of my gabapentin. On to withdrawal #2 for me. I'm going to go slower if I start feeling it bad. Not looking forward to it at all but I'm just going to take it really easy with it. Don't give up BC I know this shit is really hard.

Thanks for the words of support Jammin. This is the hardest it's been in a while.

I just can't get over how slow my CNS is healing. I still can't drink two freaking beers? I did that without any problem when I was 7 weeks off benzos.

When I'm at work I'm stuttering when I speak, I'm misspeaking and I have trouble speaking to my boss. I have HUGE anxiety that never ever ends. I went from being able to drive decently back in June to not being able to drive at all anymore.

I can barely fall asleep. My nerve pain flares up. I'm so lonely due to skipping out on social events.

I hate the outpatient center I went to with every bone in my body. Just thinking about them makes me want to punch a wall.

Not sure how much of a fight I got left to be honest. Going on Ativan sounds mighty tempting.

Drinking will make it worse, pretty much everything will. You really don't want to be on benzos while you are going through this. You will pay for it later. I was using phenibut early on in my wd and it really set me back. Even if I would take the stuff one time it would fuck me up for like a week and I would feel like shit. Yeah it'd be different maybe if I took it everyday but that's compounding your problem. Can you imagine kicking benzos on top of what you are going through? Are you going to stay on them forever? You just got off that train. You are one step closer to freedom. I've been going strong for almost a year now and it was hell almost the whole time and I'm still messed up but I'm feeling better. If you insist on not trying a low dose and tapering down then wait it out. Some weeks will be worse than others, you will improve and decline. Every time you use a substance it sets you back. I wanted to kill myself every day for a long time but I'm getting through it. This will probably be one of the hardest things you ever go through but I think you realize how dangerous some of these pills are at this point. You really don't want to go through anything like this again right?

It will take me at least a year to get off of everything. I still have at least another year left until I'm off of these pills and then who knows how much recovery time. It's a daunting task and a battle every day but being free from this stuff motivates me. You will get better, the fact that you were on them for a short period of time is in your favor. This past week I have made a lot of progress and it came out of nowhere relatively quickly. I still feel the withdrawal but it's improving. I know how you feel when you feel like you can't take it anymore BC but you will get through this. Do you have any of the pills left? Would it hurt to just try a low dose one day to see if it improves? Other people I know in similar situations were able to reinstate and get better by slowly tapering. I really think it might be worth a shot. I know it's counter-intuitive but just for some relief. Maybe just take it every now and then not everyday?

Just take it one day at a time, you will get through this.

I wonder how CG is doing...you okay cosmic?