• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 10 weeks off short term use of Gabapentin

So today I had a lot of depression. Seems to be a rebound effect of the gabapentin dose I took yesterday. My vision has also been screwed up the past few days. My right eye has been blurry and dizzy.

I'm sorry for the outburst I had on here the other day. I had drank a lot and smoked weed and it sent me into a horrible depression. I had tried to escaped things and it just made things worse. I don't think my CNS can handle anything right now.

M spirits are low but I'm trying to get by day by day. The main thing keeping my spirits down is the fear that this will last years or be permanent.

Wow BC, you have a totally fucked reaction to gaba. It really doesn't even do much to me and hasn't for quite some time. I could take 10 g of the stuff and not even feel it. Don't let those guys over there get you down. They can be kinda square but they have good info for the most part. I would try that lower dose first before giving up but the stuff seems to really mess with you bad. If that's the case it might just be a waiting game. You aren't perma fucked but it does feel that way at times. After destabilizing my CNS, it took me until last week to start feeling better at about 10 months in. I know it's torture but you will get through this. Hang in there bro. Take it easy on the drink and drugs, it seems GABAergics are a main aggravating factor for me including alcohol so be careful. It's shitty and I know you want to take the pain away but it makes it worse. Much love man.

Thanks man. I definitely think I have to stay off of the stuff. It caused too many issues and the first three months of this withdrawal were psychologically and physically torturous and not something I wanna risk reliving in any marginal way.

Jammin you've been a big help for me during this. Thank you for guiding me through your knowledge and experience.

Anytime I take the opiates or smoke weed, I seem to get caught up in waves of symptoms for a few days. Time to cut them out, although I'm nervous about nerve pain returning and me taking opiates. The drinking usually just gives me a real nasty hangover but if I just drink two I get flared up symptoms. It's hard because all I wanna do is socialize with my friends.

I need to get back into driving. My anxiety has been real bad and has prevented me from driving and this all has occurred with the incorporation of the opiates for the nerve pain.

So starting last night and all into today I've had UNREAL derealization. It's VERY bad. Had to take off from work, couldn't go outside, couldn't speak to people on the phone.

Could this have come about from the gabapentin dose I took?

Either way, my plan now is NO meds.

No problem blue, I hate to see anyone fucked up because of these drugs. I know how confusing it can get. I really think you should just try the lower dose. I understand your reasoning but I think it's worth a shot. What you are dealing with is withdrawal related. If you can tolerate the lower dose than it is worth it. If not, you could delay your recovery time. I know it's a huge decision man, but I hate to see you struggling without you trying everything else first. If you can, I know it's hard, but you should really try and stay substance free for a while. I think you will beat this thing and you will really heal but you have to arm yourself with information and do everything in your power to get better.

I hate to break it to you, but you are going to be in for the long haul. You will have windows, it will get better, it will get worse, it will feel like its the same...but one day you notice you feel alright, then a little better, and it will become manageable. I know it can cause all kinds of suicidal feeling for a while. Any time over a week or two is an insanely long time to be in withdrawal. It is no easy task brother. It's been one of the hardest things I've been through and I've been doing drugs for a long time and had a pretty fucked up life with a lot of rough patches. This has been the most challenging thing for me. I can barely go to work every day. We got to try and settle down and be patient. Just focus on getting through each hour, then each day. Don't stress yourself out, avoid your triggers, avoid making life decisions. Just do what you can, it's fucked up, it's fucked up that prescribed drugs did this shit to us but we can't give in to the negativity. There is a bottomless pit of pain and agony there if you let it get to you. It's very confusing, I know, but hang in there man. I know it's hard as shit but get a little punk rock attitude and say fuck this shit. Don't let it beat you down, you can beat it and you will learn a lot from it. It's hard to look at it that way now but it can really be a valuable experience if you don't let it destroy you. I've felt crazier than I have ever felt, totally mad and it's changed my entire personality but it's been one of the greatest teachers I've ever had. I know you will get better man, I really do. Just hold on to some hope and keep fighting. Much love blue.

At this point I've figured that this is going to last longer than I'd like it too. I've thrown away my painkillers and the rest of the weed I had.

I'm nervous I fucked myself by trying that 100mg gabapentin dose. Since Tuesday I've had a lot of symptoms like SEVERE anxiety, SEVERE derealization, horrible chest pains, real bad cog fog, and a lack of energy. I'm hoping it's just temporary and that this one dose (which was 1/15th of the low end of my 1500-2400mg before I got off) isn't enough to keep me out of whack for too long.

That dose of gabapentin really sent me into a horrible place. I have very painful chest pains, OCD, major cog fog, laziness/no energy, and body shakes and pains.

I was just out to eat when I got HORRIBLE chest pains. I was also hearing beeping noises while in the restaurant. On the drive back I was hearing the beeping noises too.

Guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

I don't have much to offer other than to wish you good luck. I can relate to some of the pain you're going through but atm I'm not getting the other symptoms. I'm currently tapering a 2.5 year pregabalin dependency and I came off temazepam about a year ago so we have that in common except both of my mine were taken together. I came off my benzo in 2 months and while it wasn't all that difficult it certainly wasn't pain free, Lyrica on the other hand is just strait up physical pain!

Like others have said it sounds more like benzo withdrawal but at the same time some on Lyrica have had withdrawal like yours after only being on it for a few weeks and their w/d also lasted longer than they were on it.

Thanks Snake Eyes. Sorry to hear you're dealing with similar circumstances. And you're right; getting off benzos cold turkey sucked but it was tolerable overall. This has been a nightmare that made benzo w/d look like a piece of cake.

In regards to the theory that this is continued benzo withdrawal, I believe it to be both benzo and gabapentin w/d, but having said that, I believe it is LARGELY gabapentin withdrawal. The symptoms I suffer the most from are commonly found with gabapentin and only surfaced when I began taking the gabapentin. I took an Ativan to attempt to control it but it did nothing.

I've just been taking it easy today, playing on my phone and watching some TV. Hoping this goes away shortly but I've said those famous words before

Over on benzobuddies.org I see people asking if this or that will "set me back" and this could be anything from antibiotics to antidepressants. They will be doing fine and start taking something seemingly benign and like you it will ramp up their symptoms.

Hi I'm new here, just made an account yesterday, and OP I'm really sorry to hear about your physical and mental anguish! I've never heard of a withdrawal like that from gabapentin! I was prescribed it about a year ago after 5 foot surgeries from osteomyelitis (MRSA in your bones) and just got off it last month. I went cold turkey and didn't notice any wds at all. I was on 1600 mg per day. The only thing I noticed is now i have a shy bladder when trying to drop for my PO lol i know that's weird but I think it might have to do with the gabapentin helping me with social anxiety as well as nerve pain. I've never been through benzo withdraw but I've heard it's awful. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Also that really sucks the docs don't take you serious- that's ridiculous!

I also meant to add I decided to get off it because it caused CRAZY weight gain! Omg I've lost 10 of the 30 pounds I picked up while on it ugh it just made me so effin hungry!!!

I posted this in another thread about my Lyrica WD's:

"My Lyrica dosage was quite insane, in doing any where from 600mg-2000mg daily for about five weeks straight. Eventually my source dried up and I was forced to cold turkey the Lyrica, but to be honest I didn't think it was going to be a big deal and thought I could handle it. I mean it couldn't be worse than opiate WD,right? Boy was a I wrong.Starting about 48 hours after my last lyrica dose, I was in was experiencing extreme anxiety, cold sweats, shakiness and the worst insomnia I've ever had. I thought I had the flu at first, but after doing some online research, I realized what I had gotten myself into with the Lyrica. I could not go to doctor as I am currently unemployed and did not have health insurance"

My Lyrica withdraw lasted a good FOUR WEEKS before I started to notice any relief at all. Never again.

Fuzzydoodle, I also had weight gain from gabapentin. 10lbs in 7 weeks. Not only was there weight gain, but there was a very uncomfortable feeling of being bloated that was 24/7. I couldn't even fit into half my pants when I got off of it. But once I stopped gabapentin, the bloatedness went away and I eventually dropped the 10lbs.

Nuli that sounds brutal, sorry to hear you went through that crap. I've heard lyrica withdrawal is worse than gabapentin w/d.

Blue Comet yea the weight gain was bad and at first I thought it just came from being on bed rest for like 7 weeks but then after I put on all the weight I read it could be a side effect. It sucks man! After I had been off for a couple weeks I noticed my appetite was not nearly what used to be thank God!! So I did a little experiment on Thursday, thinking I was gonna have to take a drug test, to see if that helped with the anxiety of it. Long story short I didn't have to drop but I did notice I was starving just a couple hours after dinner. I took 800 mg I found in my purse lol

This is a LONG thread...and it's hard to keep up with it.

Can anyone tell me if they've had any issues with their muscles feeling weak? I have a lot of issues to get into but this is the current one that is concerning my well being.

If anyone here could let me know if muscle weakness (in any way) was a symptom either while taking it or withdrawaling from it, I would be much obliged.

N

I often wonder about BlueComet and hope he found some kind of peace