• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 10 weeks off short term use of Gabapentin

Thanks bro. This is such a fucked up situation to be in because 1) most people say it takes only a few weeks to get better and 2) no doctor has any idea what the hell im talking about

This whole experience of getting off phenibut has made me swear off doctors unless I'm in a life threatening situation. They we're completely incompetent even when I printed off info and tried to get them to read it. Lol.

I have similar horror stories when it came to doctors and this drug.

It resulted in 8 ER visits, numerous visits to other doctors, and months of suffering. I've yet to have a doctor acknowledge that gabapenton caused this.

At this point, i have two options...

1) Continue to ride this out
2) Reinstate and attempt to taper

I have absolutely no idea which one would be best, and in fact both seem to be a huge gamble.

When I was on gabapentin it caused severe physical pain and major depression and agitation, and I don't know if that were return if I reinstated. Also unknown would be how much to reinstate onto, and them how much to taper and in what time period intervals (every week, every two weeks, etc).

Like I've said, dealing with this is 10x worse than dealing with benzo withdrawal

Hey blue comet, it's been a couple of days since you posted, I wanted to see how you're getting along. How's it going?

It's unfortunate that neither the magnesium nor the b12 is helpful to your situation.

Things aren't too good. My derealization has intensified the past few days and is leaving me pretty useless. Lots of irrational fears with the de realization as well. Still have strong anxiety. My cognitive impairment has improved a little bit since last week.

However, my physical symptoms have largely decreased over the past two weeks. They are largely unnoticeable at the moment. I don't know if this is a permanent reduction or if more will come in the future.

At this point I am 9 months off benzos/ambient and 3 months off gabapentin (from 7 weeks use). My symptoms are largely psychological at this point.

Not sure what I can do about them now.

Ok so here is a brief update...

Since Friday evening I've been in a bit of stump. I had EXTREME depersonalization, weird dreams, irrational fears, etc. My physical symptoms were revved up a little bit but noticably less than they were in the past. Specifically, I had very little nerve pain, right side tingling, pins & needles, and heart palpitations. These are significantly reduced.

On a psychological level, I notice my irrational fears are beginning to subside significantly too. For example, I used to have a crippling fear during this whole ordeal of going blind. That has gone away significantly. Although, on friday and saturday night when I went to bed, I had an irrational fear that I was going to stab myself in the middle of the night.

My sleep is doing pretty well, even in this slump. Usually in this 'wave' I would have a real difficult time sleeping, but this time not so much.

So overall, I think I am slowly getting better.

I've stopped all magnesium/vitamin B12 just because I believe they exacerbated my symptoms, but thank you for the suggestions.

Today my derealization is calmed down but I have cog fog, stuttering, anxieties, and ANGER. Severe anger.

One of my fears is that this will last years, or be permanent.

That's my update. Thanks for listening all!

I'm perplexed by Magnesium making things worse for you since people report great relief in it when going through Gabapentin withdrawals. Perhaps your body got so used to not having it that it freaks out when it does get it.

I think you're doing an amazing job at marching on with everything that you're going through, considering the severity of your symptoms. I hope you get better sooner than later.

EDIT: This might sound cliche, but have you tried yoga? I went through some insane anxiety/irrational fears/detachment from reality and unexplained sweats/abdominal/lower back pains. Coincidentally this was after a 3-4 week stint of Gabapentin. I was attempting to use for opiate cessation, but I ended using it for opiate potentiation. Lol.

I don't know if it was related, I started having intense anxiety right after my daughter was born. I stopped taking Gabapentin a couple of days prior to her birth. Yoga would help me a good deal when it came to tense muscles and relaxation.

I still have anxiety and symptoms I can't explain, but I dk if Gabapentin played a role in it. My daughter is over a year old, so if it was GP withdrawal, it should have ended by now.

That's why I know a few things about GP withdrawal, I thought I was having it. Magnesium did help me, but it wasn't a night and day difference.

Last edited:
I did go to an internist to get bloodwork and explained to him my concern that these pills depleted my magnesium and vitamin B12. He told me that all my levels were normal.

I'm surprised that magnesium made me worse, too. The Vitamin B12 definitely did more harm than good.

As strange as it sounds, I feel like I am so close yet so far. I embarked on a mission to rid myself of benzo poison last year and have really gotten my life back on track. Benzos had occupied my life for a few years that I got stuck in a period where I wasn't doing anything. When I was in detox for the benzos in September I wrote a long list of things I wanted to change in my life or bring back up to speed, and I've done all of them over the course of these 9 months!!! I've gotten a lot accomplished to get my life in functioning order, and now go to work 5 days per week (unless I'm feeling REALLY bad). My sleep schedule is finally back to normal for the most part, with the help of low dose melatonin.

I'm waiting for the month when things turn around and I can tolerate whatever psychological and physical symptoms I have. The derealization, cog fog, and anxiety are the worse of it. It's definitely getting better but its taking its sweet ass time.

I still have major fears that this will permanent or last years.

I had trouble sleeping last night, which has been unusual lately. I ended up taking 14mg of melatonin over the course of a few hours before I eventually fell asleep.

I woke up with HORRIBLE nerve pain in my right arm and on the right side of my body. Could the melatonin have caused this? Or is it just a coincidence?

Bc you need to be careful with supplements of any kind. Your nervous system is sensitive right now.

The reason the mag oxide worked better than the citrate is because of the low absorption of the oxide. The fact that it helped some means you should just try like a quarter of the dose of the citrate. Normal levels of magnesium in the blood don't mean Jack shit because your body will pull from everywhere else to keep normal levels up in your blood bc you can actually die.

I fully understand your reasoning behind not wanting to get back on it but I honestly think you really should. I've heard of people in similar situations as you and they didn't get better until they gently tapered down. Just start with a low dose. If you do it slow enough you won't repeat what you already went through. It should be relatively painless. I feel like you are putting yourself through hell for nothing. I did the same thing now my brain is so fucked I don't know what to do. Differnt drug tho.

The main fear I have with going back on is...

1)Gabapentin caused severe depression and weight gain/bloating, neither of which I want to go through again
2)I've been off three months and, although I'm struggling right now, I'm 10x better than I was in the first month after I got off of it
3) I legitimately fear this drug

Right now I'm still dealing with he backlash from this and from benzo withdrawal. I had to take three doses of Ativan in March to get through this nonsense and it set me back cognitively.

Right now, my persistent symptoms are cognitive impairment, anxiety, de realization, lack of social skills, and irrational fears. The symptoms that come and go are heart palpitations, nerve pain, shakiness/jitteriness, pins & needles, insomnia, and a few more I can't think of.

Things are definitely getting better but slowly. Usually my improvements get overshadowed. For example, my nausea, which was a daily painful problem, is basically gone. My rapid nonstop heart beat has significantly reduced, as well. My irrational fears have subsided in a big way but are not gone completely. These are often forgotten as I deal with crazy de realization and whatever pain I'm in.

It's because of all this that makes me real hesitant to go back on.

I am basically experiencing almost identical things with a few extras. All the symptoms of a destabilized nervous system. I understand your concerns and they are legitimate. I fear many of these legal drugs too. I understand they help some people but they have wrecked me in ways I can not describe. I'll stick to weed from now on for my mental health issues maybe some CBD. It pains me I have to go through gabapentin WD after this, I don't know if I have it in me. I am so done with dependency causing drugs. I get a little better then get worse and it all comes back. I have made some improvements but very slowly. It scares me when it comes back. I feel like this is permanent in a lot of ways. It's totally fucking me up. Bipolar like never before but I digress...

If you don't get better soon please consider a low dose maybe even only 50 mg. Then make 10% cuts every three to four weeks. I can't imagine that that low of a dose would flare things up for you but it may be worth a shot if it re-stabilizes you. You should be able to tell with a couple doses every 24 hours. It might be worth a shot. I am so sorry you are going through this man. I know these types of WD are beyond fucked up. People minimize them bc they don't get them but some of us are sensitive to WD and it is hell on earth. It sucks when you are crawling in your own skin. Ya know? We live here in this body...this is supposed to be medicine? I really just want the best for you and I have done quite a bit of research on WD because I feel like no one can help me. It is a very solitary feeling.

At least try the magnesium. There is quite a bit of variance in formulations and products. I use one called remag. Google remag magnesium. It is 100% bioavailable supposedly. It's like 30 bucks but it helps me quite a bit. Keep your doses low until you can tell how you react to it. The first time I took two teaspoons and I felt a calm rush through me within a couple hours. All the symptoms you are experiencing can be a result of a magnesium deficiency. Go easy on the supplements and drugs until you get to a better place. Maybe a anti-histamine for sleep. Powerful drugs can set you back when you are going through this. Be careful.

Hope you feel better soon. <3

Thanks Jammin. What medicine did you say you were withdrawing from again? Are you presently on gabapentin?

Now, should I go back on a low dose in a month or so if I'm unsatisfied with my improvement, would my progress be wiped out like it would if a benzo addict tried to go back on after months of withdrawal?

Hope you feel better too, soon, and anybody else here going through the shit.

I have been withdrawing from zyprexa for 9 months now. I have been suicidal for most of it. It is torture. It is an anti-psychotic that I used for bipolar depression after no other drugs worked. It helped for a couple years then turned nasty. Once you start feeling bad on meds you are in trouble. You are going to feel a lot worse before you feel better. Some don't make it through it. Some are never able to get off of zyprexa. Stubbornness and anger has got me through it but something is seriously wrong.

Yes, I am still on gabapentin. I take 900 mg at night currently. I have been on it since 2012. It helps a little but it is mostly a dependency. Even with seroquel, I still don't get any solid sleep. I am still working my way down on the seroquel but need to stabilize further before I attempt another cut. I have been on this dose for four months and still haven't stabilized. It is pretty scary.

I wouldn't say that your progress would be wiped out if it helps you to stabilize. 50 mg is such a low dose that it should only give some relief to your neurotransmitters that are slowly repairing themselves. It takes a lot of time. Rapid discontinuation causes the brain to go into overdrive and causes you to experience the symptoms you are having. Giving your brain small dosages of the drug that caused the destabilization should calm things down. If you taper slowly it gives your brain time to heal without experiencing the negative symptoms from the rapid discontinuation. Stepping down very slowly allows your brain to heal in the time that it needs. Rushing it aggravates the process. It's a slow process for sure and I understand that we want this to be over and want to get away from these drugs but we have to be patient. It really takes a long time. Viewing these types of drugs as benzos or opiates isn't really how these WDs work, it is much different. I quit 15-20 mg of xanax a day cold turkey that I had been on for a long time. I was better in a month although I did have a psychotic episode and it traumatized me going through that in jail. It just ended all of a sudden. The mechanism of action of gabapentin isn't fully understood AFAIK but it seems to help most types of WD for some reason. It's really kind of weird shit IMO.

Also, as I deal with this sudden wave of returning nerve pain, and my continued derealization and cognitive impairment, I have been uncontrollably angry at the outpatient center that gave me gabapentin in the first place.

From them providing me incorrect information about the medication, to not taking me seriously while I was crying to them about my pain in their office, and to today where I have suffered for months and they refuse to admit they did anything wrong, I get uncontrollably pissed. Like, I'm shaking and fuming as to how fucking pissed off I am at them and how much I hate them for both putting me through this, but also not acknowledging they did anything wrong.

I can't control this anger. I wonder if this is gabapentin related or benzo withdrawal related.

Maybe both, all of these drugs effect our precious balance, it's really hard to say. I would keep your dose as low as possible given that you have already healed some. I would also be cautious because you it seems to flare up your depression. Don't toy with the dosages too much if you decide to go back on it. Stability is key. I strongly believe rapid discontinuation can do a lot of damage in addition to altering brain chemistry. I am angry too, I know how you feel. I never would have expected something like this from a prescribed drug. I was told I was just taking the wrong drugs and needed these. Yeah fucking right. Almost a year of withdrawal, you have to be kidding me. Will this ever end?

Yeah man. That's why making going back on gabapentin such a tough choice. It brought my depression to dangerous levels quick, and being that I don't know how it fucks with my brain, I really want to avoid it.

I took a few Tylenol with Codeine which has significantly reduced the nerve pain I was having. It also calmed me down.

I really want to avoid all medication forever to be honest. The only reason I'm taking the tylenol with codeine is because of this pain.

I have a weekend trip coming up with family and now I'm nervous because I don't know how this nerve pain and derealization will affect me during it, nor do I know if I will be able to sleep by the weekend. My ability to sleep went from being great last week to being shit now.

How could this shit just wax and wane instead of just declining like opiate withdrawal?

I'm not sure man I really don't get it either. Id check myself in if I thought it would help. Its really a helpless feeling. Mine come and goes. Mine seems to keep getting worse.