• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸INJECTIONS: I.V. FAQs & Info MEGATHREAD⫷

i got something i've been wondering about. Even as a child getting an iv line into me was a painful drawn out affair with multiple doctors/nurses coming into the room to give it a try. Now add decades of IV use and I haven't even tried to IV in a couple years, micron filter and IM is my ROA. I DO have some veins that are isible that I'd be bale to hit no problem if not for he fact thy're on my upper arm, on front of shoulder so the angle n location plus need of mirror makes it impossible to self hit. I was thinking what if i get an IV kit and have someone get an IV line into me. I assume i'd get 24-72 hrs of use out of it. Just screw in the barrell intoluer lock n inject. Easy peasey. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Every IV coke fiend has fantasised about this. I imagine the big risk is infection and the problem is getting hold of the kit in the first place.

I did a speedball on a vein that I have never really used before. It is thin and not very easy to see, but all week it has been great for brown only. Instead of in the middle of the bend of my arm, its more like on the top right side right before it corners. If that makes sense. Well I did a 50/50 and it registered totally. I even reregistered twice for safe measures. I pull it out and feel nothing. Then I notice my whole forearm is numb. Something happened. I guess it blew the vein. The whole area is swollen. But what really scares me, is that I am having mild pressure on my right lung and it just feels..weird. The top of my arm pit and my right upper corner there. I feel like somehow that vein is leading to that area and it is all swollen. I am hoping that is all it is. It doesn't hurt, but its really uncomfortable and a very unfamiliar feeling which is leading to a ton of anxiety and shortness of breath. Never had anything like this happen. Been somewhat responsible.

On the subs now and done. This was a wake up call. Had a few other misses from the 50/50 that got pretty huge, but this one, the way it is leading to my lungs and near my heart, really makes me feel like this could be dangerous. If not now, eventually. Sooner than later.

If anyone has any info on what speedballs do to the veins, body and heart long term, id like to see it. All I can find is propaghanda bullshit. Its surprising how much info is filtered.

thx

I even reregistered twice for safe measures. I pull it out and feel nothing. Then I notice my whole forearm is numb. Something happened. I guess it blew the vein. The whole area is swollen. But what really scares me, is that I am having mild pressure on my right lung and it just feels..weird. The top of my arm pit and my right upper corner there. I feel like somehow that vein is leading to that area and it is all swollen. I am hoping that is all it is. It doesn't hurt, but its really uncomfortable and a very unfamiliar feeling which is leading to a ton of anxiety and shortness of breath. Never had anything like this happen. Been somewhat responsible.

Sounds like you missed and it's putting pressure on one of the nerves that the forearm uses to send signals if it went numb with zero swelling in the fingers and hands. If you were on the lateral side, or outside - away from body - that would likely be cephalic vein. If towards inside, basilic vein. Either way, both of those veins drain into the the axillary vein by the inside shoulder. As for the right side pain, is it superficial or deep? If the shot missed, it's unlikely emboli could have reached pulmonary capillaries to cause any issues with the lungs. The nerves in the heart don't tend to cause symptoms in the right side for men, either.

Every IV coke fiend has fantasised about this. I imagine the big risk is infection and the problem is getting hold of the kit in the first place.

Yeah, I did this with a PICC line in the hospital - it was the best in terms of ease, the worst in terms of literally everything else and I wound up reinfecting myself with not only another bacterial blood infection, but a fungal blood infection as well. Within 12 hours of the last shot, I was severely sweating and had a fever of over 105 degrees - not to mention the smell of my sweat was so pungent it literally made the nurse (and myself) almost vomit. It was so pungent, I had to throw out all my clothes because I couldn't remove the smell, I will never forget that smell. The infectious disease doctor was furious, they made them pull the PICC line out and never allowed me to get one again - at least prior to my heart surgery while they were doing IV antibiotics for 6 weeks, and midlines in those circumstances are a nightmare. They sound great to fantasize about, they're not so great in actual practice with non-sterile drugs. There is a very good reason nature made intravenous access not readily available, it literally is the system that allows life.

Last edited:
Sounds like you missed and it's putting pressure on one of the nerves that the forearm uses to send signals if it went numb with zero swelling in the fingers and hands. If you were on the lateral side, or outside - away from body - that would likely be cephalic vein. If towards inside, basilic vein. Either way, both of those veins drain into the the axillary vein by the inside shoulder. As for the right side pain, is it superficial or deep? If the shot missed, it's unlikely emboli could have reached pulmonary capillaries to cause any issues with the lungs. The nerves in the heart don't tend to cause symptoms in the right side for men, either.

Thank you for the response. Maybe it is some sort of nerve issue. I have no idea. It feels better today. Almost zero pain, just discomfort. Usually a missed shot causes massive swelling, but this has only caused mild swelling. I have a feeling that the zein has tightened or swole in other parts of my body if that is possible. Not sure but I was hoping it would feel better today and it did.

what is the smallest and shortest needle for small veins?

they either give me too large and good length or large length with good size. its confusing.. can someone tell me what sizes i need to look for for small rolley veins? and where can I get the gear and micron filters online? i really need micron fulters because my missed coke shots get huge for two weeks ams I dint feel like it should be that hardcore literally every time.

And whats the best way to boil the solution in your experience ...

The 31 gauge, 1/2 cc, 5/16" needles would be best for hand and smaller forearm superficial veins. As far as boiling for intravenous use, unless it requires it (like certain black tar heroin) to dissolve, it's best to not boil the solution. Cocaine should never be boiled or heated.

Last edited:
The 31 gauge, 1/2 cc, 5/16" needles would be best for hand and smaller forearm superficial veins. As far as boiling for intravenous use, unless it requires it (like certain black tar heroin) to dissolve, it's best to not boil the solution. Cocaine should never be boiled or heated.

Really? I really think that all solutions should be boiled. It is so dirty. Then again, I am no pro.. And I felt the same for a long time. But isnt there a ton of bacteria in all of these street drugs? Would it not decrease a great deal of that bacteria to boil it?

Also, another question : I am experimenting with leg shots to give my arms a break. I have have good luck registering on a vein on my ankle. I am just wondering how long it takes to kick in? I have hit my ankle and its been about 5-6 minutes and barley feel it. Oh, here it is I think. Not sure tho, I have a huge tolerance so it's hard to tell, lol. What is your experience with the ankle vein?

Anything but neck shots. Two of my buddies have done neck shots and neither one of them had any complaints to my knowledge. Then again, they are much more skilled IV'ers than me. I am not that great. Where can I get micron filters? My walgreens sells u100's. Will they sell micron's too? I might ask tomorrow. Thanks.

Would it not decrease a great deal of that bacteria to boil it?

It's kind of a nuanced topic. As the water heats up, it actually allows more of the inactive compounds to dissolve, which are things we don't want. In order to kill most bacteria, you would need to boil it for 1 to 2 minutes, at which point you be losing your active compound (drug). For something like cocaine, this becomes even more of a problem.

I am just wondering how long it takes to kick in? I have hit my ankle and its been about 5-6 minutes and barley feel it.

It takes 25 seconds (with a 12 to 26 second variation) for blood to circulate one time. Since you only need it to go about half as far from the ankle, it would be about 12.5 seconds. If you suffer from heart failure or chronic venous insufficiency of the lower extremities, this could change significantly. Assuming the valves in your legs function properly and the right side of your heart operates normal, then it should take no longer than 38.5 seconds to go from ankle to arterial blood to brain. At 5 to 6 minutes, you're more than likely in a different route of administration due to missing, such as subcutaneous or intramuscular.

Where can I get micron filters?

Amazon. Otherwise, if you have any harm reduction services available, like a needle exchange, they may also be able to help you. 0.22 micron wheel filters would be the best to filter out bacteria from non-sterile cocaine.

So I got some fentanyl the other day. And of course I couldn't wait the 15mins to get home to do one 🙄 Anyway, I fixed it up in the back cap and before I could draw it up into the rig, MY ELBOW KNOCKED OVER THE CAP AND SPILLED THE SHIT ALL OVER MY CENTER CONSOLE :( Its been a couple days so its obviously dried by now. Is there ANY way to salvage this? It was the biggest shot I've planned to do thus far and i go and spill the whole damn thing 😡😡

Need a bit of help here.
Getting 10mg. Opana IR and want to know if there is something different involved with injecting-?-Any coating aside I figure just water soluble?

-Let me add a bit to this.
I've been on pain meds nearly 20 years now,reduced here in NY from a daily 240 mg. morphine/40 mg. hydroe to 90 mg. morphine.
Switching to oxymorphone next month.
I usually snort but on occasion have injected when things get bad.

Well...I'm old school and not familiar with those. I have heard of them here and not really sure how to use them. It seems many "street" type sources are not as available lately.
But as for the Opana IR being water soluble;I mean is it comparable to Dilaudid. Crush,mix with water,and strain-without any extra steps or dangers. I do not expect any being IR, but I am a survivor being 65 now. Don't need a foolish accident. I intend to stick around a while longer...I still have things to do. :)

OK friends,I'm back again. I checked out those filters. I'm sort of over-whelmed here.
I watched a couple videos. Not really sure what filter I would need for Opana IR if any. I can see they really work....would have saved me a lot of misery back in the day. And I know some pills have a lot of buffer etc.
It is complicated though. I saw one vid using a wheel filter where you had to transfer from one barrel to another. A second more practical looking vid with a filter that did not;kind of draw up and go.
Aren't these more for street dope and ER pills?
I've relied on this site for answers to tough questions in the past. I am assuming/hoping Opana IR is similar to Dilaudid and of the more "cold shake" type drugs? I realize risk is always involved but I do want to minimize it to acceptable levels. For instance,I wouldn't jump through the hoops to hit an ER pill no matter what.

Aren't these more for street dope and ER pills?

Micron / wheel filters do two things. They filter out all the filler shit that is in your pill and/or filter out the non-soluble cut and bacteria that might be in your filthy powdered street drugs or heroin. if your pill has filler in it then it is advisable to use a micron filter - they filter out way more particulate than just cotton.

Thank you for that.
I found that side of the data easy enough to get. But more "street" use seems lacking on the web. For instance,what micron size would you suggest? I can see "very fine" (whatever that might be) for heroin etc. drugs,but pills are different. Even IR pills are filled with extra crap.
I'm trying to find more data on the dangers of not using one. I did shoot drugs as a kid over 40 years ago,and lost several veins doing stupid crap. I don't have many left,and want to keep what's left. I do not plan on injecting regularly by any means,but I want to understand everything I can. And I do want to try Opana to see how well and how long it works. For instance,injecting Dilaudid is a waste of time unless approx. 3 hours or so of relief will help you. That is a little too short lived for me. I hear Opana lasts,even the IR Opana-and that is about the sum total of my "street" data on this drug. I have used most at one time or another,but never Opana.
It seems to me that kind information is hard to find. I know it wasn't in the past;perhaps the good has been thrown out with the bad?
I have about two weeks before I switch to Opana IR from morphine IR. I'll have to try harder.

PS-I'm hoping against hope Opana IR will be more like heroin in effectiveness and duration.

Kind of freaked out here, I had 3 shots of IV heroin the past two days. The last one didn't go smoothly and now it's a painful area.
Here are some pictures, can anyone tell me if this is what an abscess looks like? I swabbed with anti bacterial wipes and used antiseptic cream etc.

8D6M4Ne.jpg
eLPDP8e.jpg

ARM IV
ARM IV 2

Please ignore the dry skin. Let me know asap if you can folks! I Know how stupid it was, I haven't done it in 7 years.

Here are some pictures, can anyone tell me if this is what an abscess looks lik

No, it hasn't formed into an abscess, yet. That's the solution and blood absorbing back into tissues, at this point it's cellulitis at worst. Keep an eye on it, though. If it starts to get warm or you get a fever is when you would want to seek medical attention.