• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸CASE STUDIES - It could happen to YOU!⫷

Unless you have something that's meant for IM/SC use (or, possibly even in this scenario), IV is really the best. There's some drugs you have to IM (not that would be preferable to IM, like ketamine, but that you have to, like most steroids.) IVing is much safer than intra muscular or subcutaneous injection.

Thank you Captain ;)
I appreciate the verification, b/c, as I said, the last thing I'd want to do on a harm-reduction site is spread dangerous misinformation.

And as I stated in my post, it was here at BL that I learned that in the first place and switched ROAs concerning the needle- my legs thank you =D

That is, a proper IV shot is painless... a proper IM shot to my thigh (especially 2-3 shots :\), leaves me with a slight limp and pain, which sucks BAD as I live in the upstairs floor of a house- doing that trek with a few pinholes in my leg and groceries in my arms = ouch! 8o

it did happen to ...ME

Here's a rather humurous story and I am still wondering why I am still alive to talk about it. My x and I were heroin users and we would clean out our fits with 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropanal) to clean then from the day before use, and anyway he was making up my shot and there were two glasses one with water and the other with the rubbing alcohol and by now I bet you can already guess what the mix up was, Yes. He did. He used the rubbing alc in my shot instead of the water. I did feel heachachy and dehydtated, and I asked him. hE WAS LIKE.. OH SHIT! But miraculously nothing happenned. A few years later while taking chemistry, professor was talking about the toxicity of wood and rubbing alcohol. So I told him a story of some airhead who shot up rubbing alcohol.8) He said, WOW that person is very lucky to have even survived, well I agreed quickly and left it at that. Well it WAS my x's fault afterall. Could've killed him, but he beat me to it. ok off the subject, sorry.

Here's a rather humurous story and I am still wondering why I am still alive to talk about it. My x and I were heroin users and we would clean out our fits with 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropanal) to clean then from the day before use, and anyway he was making up my shot and there were two glasses one with water and the other with the rubbing alcohol and by now I bet you can already guess what the mix up was, Yes. He did. He used the rubbing alc in my shot instead of the water. I did feel heachachy and dehydtated, and I asked him. hE WAS LIKE.. OH SHIT! But miraculously nothing happenned. A few years later while taking chemistry, professor was talking about the toxicity of wood and rubbing alcohol. So I told him a story of some airhead who shot up rubbing alcohol.8) He said, WOW that person is very lucky to have even survived, well I agreed quickly and left it at that. Well it WAS my x's fault afterall. Could've killed him, but he beat me to it. ok off the subject, sorry.

Wow I am really sorry to hear that!

For the record, isopropyl alcohol is best used as a sanitizer when it's not at 99%. It's better around 70ish%. Isopropyl alcohol is a much better sanitizer in the presence of water.

I am glad you're still OK!

Necrotising myositis after intravenous methylphenidate (Ritalin) injection
Severe Upper Limb Complications from Parenteral Abuse of Subutex®

IV Buprenorphine
Fatal intravenous misuse of transdermal fentanyl
Inhalation Abuse of Fentanyl Patch
Fatal Intravenous Fentanyl: Abuse Four Cases Involving Extraction of Fentanyl From Transdermal Patches
CASE REPORT: Temperate pyomyositis in an injecting drug misuser. A difficult diagnosis in a difficult patient
Intra-arterial self-injection of methadone tablets into the femoral artery
Right ventricular needle embolus in an injecting drug user: the need for early removal
Irreversible Ischemic Hand Following Intraarterial Injection of Zolpidem Powder

Cutaneous complications of intravenous drug abuse
Imaging Features of Soft-Tissue Infections and Other Complications in Drug Users After Direct Subcutaneous Injection ("Skin Popping")
Successful lung transplantation for talcosis secondary to intravenous abuse of oral drug
Fungus in lemon juice introduced via IV causes blindness within a month...
Scalp necrosis and ulceration secondary to heroin injection
Exogenous ocular candidiasis associated with intravenous heroin abuse
Fungal endophthalmitis in intravenous drug users injecting buprenorphine contaminated with oral Candida species
Infective endocarditis secondary to intravenous Subutex abuse
Wound Botulism Among Black Tar Heroin Users
Aluminum Toxicity Due to Intravenous Injection of Boiled Methadone
A Fatal Case of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal
Tears as Romell Broom's executioners fail to find vein
Prevalence of HIV-1 resistant to antiretroviral drugs in 81 individuals newly infected by sexual contact or injecting drug use
Risk of Hepatitis C Virus Infection among Young Adult Injection Drug Users Who Share Injection Equipment
Starch and talc emboli in drug addicts' lungs
How Does Promethazine Cause Harm?
Midfacial Complications of Prolonged Cocaine Snort

Outcome after Injections of Crushed Tablets in Intravenous Drug Abusers
A fatal case of pontine hemorrhage related to methamphetamine abuse

Last edited:
Talc Retinopathy: How history can aid diagnosis (90kb pdf)

Case history

A 51-year old black male presented for a routine eye examination with a chief complaint of blurred vision at near. His ocular history was otherwise unremarkable. He reported that his last eye examination was 30 years ago and that he had no current spectacle prescription. His systemic history was remarkable for cardiomegaly and unspecified liver and stomach ‘problems’. He reported years of sobriety from alcohol use and moderate smoking. The family history was unremarkable.

Examination

Best corrected visual acuity at distance and near was 6/6 RE and 6/6 LE. Pupils were equal, round and reactive to light with no afferent defect. Extraocular muscles were full and smooth. Colour vision and confrontation visual fields were normal.

Anterior segment evaluation was unremarkable. Goldmann applanation tonometry was 15mmHg, RE and 14mmHg, LE. Blood pressure was measured at 160/90 RAS. Figures 1 and 2 show the dilated fundus examination.

After ophthalmoscopy, the patient was further questioned as to past history of IV drug use. He then admitted to using IV drugs for 20 years and having been ‘clean’ for the last 20 years. The appearance of the fundus in addition to the history of sustained IV drug use led to the diagnosis of talc retinopathy.

Aetiology and pathophysiology

Talc retinopathy results from fillers, such as magnesium silicate, which are used in IV drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

There is a correlation between the degree of talc retinopathy and the amount and duration of drug intake(2). The particles range in size from 5-10 micrometres(3). Microtalc cannot be metabolised, therefore, it may remain in the body indefinitely(4).

After injection into the venous system (typically the non- dominant arm), the drug and filler particles travel through the systemic circulation. Figure 3 reviews the blood flow as it continues from the venous system to the right side of the heart and onto the lungs.

It is at the pulmonary capillary bed where some of the small particles first become trapped (3). Persistent use may lead to embolisation causing pulmonary hypertension(5).

Due to obstruction, blood flow is then shunted around the pulmonary capillary bed through collateral vessels. It then moves on to the left side of the heart and eventually to the eye (6).

Once in the eye, small talc particles (around 3.5-5 micrometres(7)) become trapped in the capillaries of the retina, with a preferential deposit for the macula due to its rich blood supply(6) by both retinal and choroidal circulation.
Table 1 reviews the blood supply to the eyes.

Clinical presentation

The incidence of ocular involvement after talc injection is 28-44%(7). In addition to the particles of talc identified in the retina, other objective findings may be present such as nerve fibre layer haemorrhages and cotton wool spots. In one study, 75% of microtalc patients presented with nerve fibre layer slit or rake defects which were glaucoma-like (4). These defects are expected not to worsen if drug use is discontinued (4).

In addition, the ischaemic state of the eye may lead to vasoproliferation with subsequent neovascularisation, vitreous haemorrhage and a tractional retinal detachment (8,9). Also from the lack of perfusion, macular ischaemia may result, leading to decreased vision and a central scotoma (6,9,10). Due to these possible findings, it is therefore necessary to differentiate complicated talc retinopathy from other microvascular occlusive retinopathies.

Conclusion

Talc retinopathy occurs after prolonged intravenous drug use of impure materials. Though not every practitioner will come across a case of talc retinopathy, it remains an important diagnosis which we should be aware of. Through careful history-taking and a thorough ophthalmoscopic examination, a diagnosis may be made and the appropriate ocular and systemic work-up pursued.

So I was hoping that for my 1,000th post (yay!) I would make some super awesome thread

But I really don't have anything thread worthy, so I'm gonna dedicate my 1000 posts to this thread

So kudos to djsim and everyone else who has contributed case reports. This thread is truly a great contribution to harm reduction, and it's the kind of thing that makes me proud to be a member of this community!

So...post more case studies! :)

This is such a valuable thread. Thanks to InvisibleEye especially for the case study on IV'ing crushed tablets in IV drug abusers

Acute septic sacroiliitis in an injection drug user

Katarzyna Ferraro MD and Merrill A. Cohen MD
York Hospital, York, PA, USA (2004)

Septic sacroiliitis, an uncommon pyogenic infection of the axial skeleton, occurs with increased prevalence in injection drug users.The presentation of patients with sacroiliitis can include fever, low back or buttock pain, tenderness over the sacroiliac (SI) joint, and difficulty walking. Because these symptoms are nonspecific and the entity occurs so infrequently, the presentation could readily be mistaken for other conditions such as appendicitis, spinal abscess, septic arthritis of the hip, mechanical low back pain, or even drug-seeking behavior.We present a case of this unusual condition that we encountered recently in our ED.

A 61-year-old man with a history of carcinoid tumor, hypertension, diabetes, hepatitis C, and ongoing injection drug use (skin-popping) presented with severe low back pain, fever, and chills. The low back pain was progressively worsening for 2 days. It localized to the right buttock, and it radiated down the leg to the heel. The pain was worse with any movement, especially of the hip. One year before, the patient underwent lumbar laminectomy for chronic low back pain. There was no recent trauma.

Physical examination revealed a thin male in severe pain lying on his left side, reluctant to move as a result of the pain. Vital signs included temperature of 102.2°F, heart rate of 82 beats/min, respiratory rate 20 breaths/min, and blood pressure 185/110 mm Hg. The heart examination revealed no murmurs. The right lower quadrant of the abdomen was tender with guarding. Tenderness also was found in the lower lumbar spine and right paraspinal muscles. The area of the right SI joint was very tender. Anal tone was normal and perianal sensation was intact. Passive motion of the right hip provoked intense pain.

Laboratory studies included a sedimentation rate of 75 mm/hr and white blood cell count of 17,000/mm3 with a significant left shift. HIV test was negative. Plain x-rays of the lumbar spine and pelvis demonstrated only advanced degenerative disk disease at the L4–L5 level. Suspecting an intraabdominal or spinal abscess, vancomycin and gentamycin were initiated and a computed tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen, pelvis, and lumbosacral spine was performed. It too was unremarkable. A thoracic, lumbar, and pelvic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study then was done. This revealed abnormal signal and widening of the right SI joint and intense enhancement of the adjacent soft tissues with gadolinium contrast (Fig 1). These findings indicated acute sacroiliitis.

FIGURE 1. T1-weighted axial MR image of the patient demonstrates widening of the right sacroiliac joint and loss of marrow signal in both right iliac bone posteriorly and right sacral ala. Nonpurulent inflammation of the sacroiliac joints such as occurs in rheumatic disorders would be bilateral.

Cocaine-Associated Intestinal Gangrene in a Pregnant Woman

DAVID JAWAHAR, MD, N. ANANDARAO, MD, BRUCE R. PACHTER, PHD (1997)

CASE REPORT

A 31-year-old woman, 8 weeks pregnant, presented to the ED five times in 1 week. The last of these ED admissions was for seizures. She had initially been evaluated 7 days earlier for sharp epigastric pain and two episodes of vomiting after eating pizza. The vomitus was described as bilious. She was diagnosed as having gastritis and was discharged after her symptoms improved with Maalox. Her second visit to the ED was later that same day for similar complaints. The patient returned to the ED the following day with similar abdominal pain. She was admitted to the hospital but was discharged after 3 days of hospitalization.

The patient returned to the ED the day after hospital discharge for continuing abdominal pain and vomiting. The patient was an active cocaine abuser who did not wish to continue her pregnancy. It was elicited from her that she continued to sniff cocaine despite having abdominal pain. The amount of cocaine used was not determined. She was diagnosed as having nonspecific abdominal pain and
pregnancy-related vomiting, and discharged.

The next day (her final admission), the patient was brought in for evaluation after two generalized tonie-clonic seizures were witnessed by her husband and paramedics. In the ED, she suffered another tonic-clonic event lasting approximately 1 minute.Over the several hours since the patient's arrival at the ED, her condition deteriorated, with worsening hypoxia and hypotension.The patient received emergency fluid resuscitation and was endotracheally intubated, and mechanical ventilation was begun. Since it was known that the patient did not desire to continue with her pregnancy, it was possible that she may have self-aborted the fetus. It is not clear whether her seizures had resulted from cocaine use or from metabolic derangements.

Ultrasound of the pelvis showed an intrauterine pregnancy of 6 to 7 weeks with no fetal heart sounds. Culdocentesis showed fecal material, which suggested bowel perforation. Dilatation and curettage of the uterine cavity revealed products of conception but no purulent material. At this point, an exploratory laporatomy was performed. The time interval from her arrival at the ED to the operating room had been 20 hours. Peritoneal lavage revealed intraperitoneal fecal contamination. The middle 2-foot section of the ileum was found to be gangrenous with a perforation. A 75-cm-long segment of nonviable small bowel was resected.

Our literature review identified 37 case reports of ischemic complications of bowel resulting from cocaine use. Clinical ischemia involved the stomach in 7 cases, the small intestine alone in 21 cases, the colon alone in 7 cases, both in one case, and the involvement was unspecified in another case. Twenty-eight of the patients smoked "crack" cocaine, 2 patients used intravenous cocaine, 3 patients ingested cocaine, 2 patients used cocaine by the intranasal route, and in 2 patients the route of administration was unknown. Our report is the third case of intestinal ischemia caused by the intranasal use of cocaine.

Last edited:
Please read this.

A Case of Mutism Subsequent to Cocaine Abuse

Gianluca La Monaca MD, Anthony Donatelli MD and Jack L. Katz MD (1999)

The patient was a 35-year-old unemployed married Black woman living with her husband and two children. She had a 12-year history of crack-cocaine abuse. She was brought to the hospital emergency room (ER) by her husband due to progressive mental status and behavioral changes over a number of weeks, culminating in mutism, choreiform activity, chewing movements, excessive showering, and inappropriate affect, ranging from irrational laughter to irritability. There was no history of alcohol abuse or head trauma. She was not on any medications and had not used any substances since the change in her mental status. Medical history was positive for small bowel resection 7 years prior, for questionable Crohn's disease. The husband stated that, after the birth of their children, the patient began leaving the house for as many as 3 days with several hundred dollars to buy crack-cocaine. At times, she would use up to $400 on cocaine and would ask for more money from her fellow users. He said that this behavior had gone on for 12 years, during which time his wife was away from home about 40% of the time on cocaine binges. Occasionally, she would also use marijuana.

The patient's final crack-cocaine binge cost $2,000 and lasted 3 days. She was brought home by her fellow abusers and awoke partially mute, staring, and acting inappropriately. She would wander off, hide food, and speak garbled words, usually repeating the same sentence numerous times.

In the ER, she was uncooperative, displayed psychomotor restlessness, and would periodically dance in the evaluating room. She was mute except for occasionally murmuring, “Right?” She had multiple repetitive movements (tongue biting and abdominal thrusting). She was able to follow simple commands. Her affect was labile and inappropriate. Full mental status examination could not be performed because of her uncooperativeness and mutism. Brain CT revealed diffuse atrophy, but was otherwise negative. Neurological consultation was obtained. There were no focal findings. She was admitted to psychiatry. Comprehensive medical work-up, including Veneral Disease Research Laboratories (VDRL), human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), rheumatoid factor (RF), antinuclear antibody (ANA), antiDNA, angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE), purified protein derivative (PPD), thyroid function tests (TFTs), drug screen, vitamin B12, folate, complete blood count (CBC), SMAC, urinalysis, chest x-ray, heavy metal screen, and EEG, was within normal limits. Brain MRI was also negative, except for some diffuse atrophy. The working diagnosis was psychosis NOS, rule out catatonic schizophrenia.

The patient received a 4-week trial of haloperidol. After 2 weeks she had stopped speaking altogether. Bizarre, disorganized behavior continued. She would take off her clothes inappropriately. She hoarded food, held food in her mouth, wandered into other patients' rooms, and defecated on the floor.

Carbamazepine was added to the haloperidol, but, due to the patient's drooling and extrapyramidal symptoms, haloperidol and carbamazepine were tapered off. The patient was started on risperidone, the dose gradually being raised to 3 mg twice daily. There was no improvement and, after 2 weeks on this regimen, she was taken off risperidone and administered an amytal interview. The patient received an intravenous solution of 5% amobarbital sodium at a rate of 1 cc per minute. She was given a total of 6 cc (300 mg), causing drowsiness and nystagmus. She did not speak at any point in the interview. The negative response to the amytal interview and the lack of any response to two neuroleptics and one mood stabilizer led us to rethink our diagnosis. We, therefore, obtained a brain SPECT scan. The scan was clearly abnormal, showing decreased perfusion in the anterior aspect of the left temporal lobe and, to a lesser extent, in both frontal lobes (left greater than right). As the patient was right-handed it was concluded that the neural associative areas related to speech were affected.

Based on these various tests and the patient's clinical course, we concluded that her mutism and clinical presentation were probably due to organic lesions secondary to heavy chronic crack-cocaine abuse. She was discharged on no medications after a 3-month stay, slightly improved (less psychomotor agitation) but still mute, to be followed by neurology as an outpatient. The patient's family declined any recommended rehabilitative services and chose to care for her at home. Follow-ups at 3 and 6 months found her unchanged.

In our patient, there was no known previous psychiatric history except for the substance abuse. The catatonic state did not improve with the discontinuation of cocaine, even after more than 3 months of hospitalization. The patient's condition did not respond to conventional treatment with neuroleptics and other psychotropic medications.

The patient's mental status changes appeared to be permanent, presumably secondary to the massive and prolonged use of crack. Its effects on brain perfusion provoked a permanent change in brain physiology responsible for the patients mutism. A follow-up of the patient at 3 and 6 months after discharge showed no change in her mental status.

Last edited:
Intravenous Neck Injections in a Drug Abuser Resulting in Infection of a Laryngocele

Jeevanan Jahendran, Abdullah Sani, Philip Rajan, Gurdeep Singh Mann and Balachandran Appoo (2005)

A 40-year-old Sikh male lorry driver presented with a progressively enlarging, painless left neck mass over a 2-month period. Subsequently, he developed hoarseness followed by worsening
stridor over the next month. There was associated lowgrade fever for which he was prescribed oral antibiotics. However, this did not resolve his symptoms. In the previous year, he had noticed a similar swelling, but that had resolved spontaneously after a course of antibiotics without any complications. A point of interest was that he had been an intravenous drug abuser for more then 10 years andhad injected drugs directly into the major vessels of the neck (jugular veins) and lower limbs (femoral veins), as all other peripheral veins were already difficult to access. A soft, cystic swelling measuring about 5 X? 4 cm was palpable on the left lateral aspect of the neck anterior to thesternomastoid but displacing the muscle posteriorly. The mass and the skin overlying it did not show any signs of inflammation, but there was tenderness on deep palpation. Laryngeal endoscopy revealed a smooth bulging mass in the left supraglottic region, which probably arose from the ventricle, extending superiorly. This caused the epiglottis and the laryngeal inlet to be pushed to the right and resulted in partial obstruction of the airway. The appearance of the true cords as well as the subglottic region was normal except that movement of the left vocal cord was hindered due to the presence of the mass. Routine blood investigations were essentially normal except for leucocytosis; hepatitis and retroviral screening were also negative. Computed tomography (CT) showed a fluidfilled mass arising from the larynx and extending through the thyrohyoid membrane into the external soft tissue plane (Figures 1 & 2).

He was started on intravenous antibiotics and surgery was performed after 48 hours as there was no clinical improvement. During the watchful waiting period, there was no further deterioration in airway obstruction. Diagnosis of a pyolaryngocele was made and the mass was excised using a transcervical approach. The mass was separated from the surrounding structures up to the thyroid cartilage. The upper half of the ala of the thyroid cartilage was excised to gain access to the internal component. The entire sac was removed without breaching the laryngeal mucosa or damaging the superior laryngeal neurovascular bundle. Direct laryngoscopy after closure of the external wound showed that the larynx and the surrounding structures had almost retained their normal anatomy except for minimal oedema over the left supraglottic area. On opening the sac, we found it filled with thick yellowish material (Figure 3). Histological examination showed a fibrous-walled cyst filled with leucocytic material. There was no evidence of malignancy. Material sent for cultures and test for acid-fast bacilli was negative. The postoperative period was uneventful and the patient was well on subsequent follow-up, with no evidence of recurrence.

[URL=http://img265.imageshack.us/i/figure1.gif/][/URL]

[URL=http://img249.imageshack.us/i/figure2.gif/][/URL]

[URL=http://img715.imageshack.us/i/figure3.gif/][/URL]

So I was hoping that for my 1,000th post (yay!) I would make some super awesome thread

But I really don't have anything thread worthy, so I'm gonna dedicate my 1000 posts to this thread

So kudos to djsim and everyone else who has contributed case reports. This thread is truly a great contribution to harm reduction, and it's the kind of thing that makes me proud to be a member of this community!

So...post more case studies! :)

Well designated 1000th post! :)

Thanks This is a great thread. Making me think about not experimenting with IVing suboxone.

I've lurked this forum for years and recently decided to join. It's things like this and the serious dedication behind the harm reduction message that make this place so special, along with the dedicated community of course.

I recently came into contact with an old friend that may or may not have access to fent patches. I was SERIOUSLY considering really reestablishing contact for the purpose of acquiring said patches. Upon reading the first few pages of this thread I have reconsidered and decided that it would be a poor choice to do so. Thanks again BL (djism and everyone else). Harm Reduced.

Case Report: Pulmonary granulomatosis (IV drug use)

Widespread pulmonary granulomatosis following long time intravenous drug abuse—A case report

R.B. Dettmeyera, M.A. Verhoffa, B. Brückelb and D. Walterb
(Feb 2010)

Abstract

Foreign body granulomas in the lungs following acute singular or long time intravenous drug abuse are frequent findings during microscopic investigation of the lungs. Most cases present single granulomas. Cases with multiple foreign body granulomas, already palpable during autopsy and leading to pulmonary granulomatosis with multiple granulomas are less frequent. We report the case of a 32-year old man, dying suddenly and unexpectedly after a well-known history of drug abuse for more than a decade. The granulomas are caused by foreign particle embolization immediately after intravenous injection of not only the drug itself but also of adulterants, e.g. cotton fibers, potato starch or microcrystalline cellulose. At the end, a reduction in the size of the pulmonary bed had occurred followed by pulmonary hypertension. For the first time, lung dust in such a case was characterised by energy dispersive X-ray (EDX).

Case report

A 32-year old man, well known as drug addict for more than a decade, was found lifeless in his apartment. At the time of death, the man attended a program for drug withdrawal. Drug accessories were found in the room near the corpse. A severe lung disease was reported in his medical history but he refused to turn to a doctor.

2.1. Macroscopic autopsy findings

Autopsy revealed long scars in the bend of the elbows and one puncture with a fresh subcutaneous bleeding on the back of the left hand. Additionally, scars were found in the groins. Internal organs presented an edema including the brain (1426 g) and the lungs (left 1282 g, right 1526 g). The heart weighed 411 g with right ventricular hypertrophy (thickness 4–6 mm). Lung tissue presented numerous palpable nodules, first suggesting miliar tuberculosis. The nodules were found in all lobes concentrated near the hilus.

2.2. Histopathology

Histological investigations using conventional stainings presented round and oval granulomas in the lungs with often multiple giant cells in the centre and a surrounding fibrosis with lymphocytes and macrophages (Fig. 1 and Fig. 2). The deposits with foreign body giant cell reaction were located perivascular and included birefringent crystals, easy to detect by polarized light (Fig. 3). Inside the granulomas, capillaries with congestion were found first suggesting organized and recanalized microthrombi, also sometimes seen in intravenous drug users. In addition, liver tissues showed a chronic hepatitis and samples from the heart with microfocal lympho-monocytic infiltrations demonstrating a myocarditis.

Fig. 1. Numerous pulmonary granuloma, partly with an accompanying perifocal emphysema and located beside peripheral vessels
Fig. 2. Pulmonary granuloma contains giant cells, amorph crystal material, and fibrosis in the circumference a lympho-monocytic infiltrate
Fig. 3. Birefringent crystal material inside the granuloma

Case study: Percocet IV

Trauma and Substance Abuse: Deadly Consequences of Intravenous Percocet Tablets

Joseph M. Galante MD, Salman Ahmad MD, Elizabeth A. Albers MD and Matthew J. Sena MD
(Jan. 2010)

Introduction
There are an estimated 20.6 million adults and teenagers classified as being addicted to or dependent on drugs or alcohol (1). The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crimes estimates that there are 1.3 million intravenous drug abusers in the United States (2). The use of drugs and alcohol is high among the trauma population. A single-center study suggests that as many as 40% of traumatic deaths may be related to drug or alcohol use (3). A large number of trauma patients who are discharged from the hospital receive a prescription for oral narcotics. The combination of addiction and prescription of narcotics can have deadly consequences.

Case Report

A 20-year-old man was initially evaluated in the Emergency Department after an assault to the head and face with a brief loss of consciousness. Trauma evaluation demonstrated a left anterior maxillary sinus fracture, and left posterolateral and inferior orbital wall fractures, with no evidence of intracranial injury on head computed tomography (CT). Further evaluation included a CT scan of the cervical spine and abdomen as well as plain radiographs of the chest and pelvis, all of which were negative. The patient's past medical history was significant only for an anxiety disorder and a history of polysubstance abuse, including intravenous drug use. He was admitted for 24 h of observation as well as evaluation of his maxillofacial injuries by Ophthalmology and Plastic Surgery. He was discharged home approximately 24 h after admission and given a prescription for 30 Percocet® (Endo Pharmaceuticals, Newark, DE) (acetaminophen/oxycodone) for a severe headache. He had received instruction for appropriate follow-up of his injuries.

Twenty-four hours after discharge, emergency medical services (EMS) were called to the patient's residence for a complaint of decreased level of consciousness. The patient's significant other stated that he had been complaining of a worsening headache since the date of discharge. Per EMS, the patient was in severe respiratory distress with a large amount of pink, frothy sputum. During transport he became unresponsive and was orally intubated. Cardiac rhythm rapidly deteriorated to pulseless electrical activity, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was started and the patient was given atropine and epinephrine, according to advanced cardiac life support guidelines. Narcan (1 mg) and D50 were also administered, given the uncertainty in diagnosis. With his history of recent trauma, he was immediately evaluated by the on-call trauma team upon arrival. Bilateral chest decompression was performed to exclude tension pneumothorax, and a focused abdominal ultrasound for trauma did not identify fluid in the peritoneum or pericardium. Neither of these demonstrated the etiology of his electrical rhythm. Resuscitative efforts were continued for approximately 30 min without restoration of spontaneous circulation, at which point the patient was pronounced dead.

A postmortem examination was performed. The patient's oxycodone level was 330 ng/mL, which is higher than the toxic level of 200 ng/mL. Needle track marks were identified in the patient's right antecubital fossa, with associated hemorrhage and polarizable foreign material within the subcutaneous tissue.

After hematoxylin and eosin staining of lung tissue, polarizable foreign material was also identified, occluding several pulmonary arterioles. There were acute inflammatory cells, necrotic debris, and fibrin associated with interstitial pulmonary congestion in each lung (Figure 1).

Figure 1. Pathology specimen of lung tissue from the patient showing polarizable foreign material occluding several pulmonary arterioles (arrows). There were acute inflammatory cells, necrotic debris, and fibrin associated with interstitial pulmonary congestion consistent with an acute event.

Case study: Fentanyl (non-IV)

A fatality involving an unusual route of fentanyl delivery: Chewing and aspirating the transdermal patch

Henry J. Carsona, Laura D. Knightb, Mary H. Dudleya and Uttam Garge
(April 2010)

Most opioid abuse is of a conventional type, e.g. injection, insufflation, or oral ingestion. However, novel forms of opioid abuse have developed with the development of new drug delivery systems, particularly the fentanyl patch. This potent opioid is intended for time-released transdermal drug delivery, but in abuse situations the drug can be delivered by intravenous injection of patch contents, oral or transmucosal application, volatilization and inhalation, insufflation, or application of heat to the patch to enhance and hasten drug absorption.

Most victims of fentanyl overdose die from the direct toxic effects. We recently encountered a subject who died from an uncommon misuse of the patch, chewing, followed by complications of aspiration of the patch, in combination with other illicit drugs.

Case report

The decedent was a 28-year-old white male with a past medical history of prescription drug abuse who was found unresponsive in bed by his girlfriend. Emergency personnel transported him to the hospital, but he was pronounced dead in the emergency department shortly after arrival. The decedent’s girlfriend reported that she had last seen him the night before, lying in bed with her chewing a drug patch, the type of which she was unaware.

The body was that of a normally developed, well-nourished 158 lb adult man with numerous tattoos and a tongue piercing. The only evidence of injury was a small abrasion on the right bridge of the nose. Internal examination revealed the presence of a 2.2 × 0.8 cm wadded, beige, tough but somewhat stretchy, foreign material in the primary branch of the right mainstem bronchus (Fig. 1). The heart weighed 468 g (normal range 251–437 g), consistent with hypertrophy, suggestive of chronic stimulant abuse in hindsight. The remaining organs were unremarkable.

Fig. 1: Chewed transdermal fentanyl patch recovered from right middle lobe bronchus (arrow). The patch is comprised of clear flexible crushed plastic that lodged in the bronchus as a result of unintentional aspiration.

I was just too scared to read this thread when I was using the needle. Now that I've come pretty damn close to being a case report myself makes it all the more potent.

Advice to whoever is reluctant to read into this: don't make my mistake and grow some balls, stare reality at its ugly face.

Holy shit, sorry to hear that man. What'd the docs have to say about it?

So true. 10mg of fentanyl (equivalent to ~2grams of morphine) in a pouch which is easier to open than a TV dinner... hmmm, wonder what will happen 8) I wonder how the fuck something with so much fentanyl got thru when at the same time junkies were dying from China White? Obviously the FDA knew how strong fent (and analogs) were, and more importantly, that people would inject it to get high. Incredibly stupid.
I haven't seen the gel patches for so long.... what kind of dimensions are we talking (for the biggest one)? ie how many mL of gel in the 100mcg/hr?

According to the pouch,

"Each transdermal system contains: 10mg fentanyl and 0.4mL alcohol USP"

Honestly, I'm wearing one right now, it has the gel in it, and I'm looking at it thinking "Hmm, so when is all this fent gonna leak out."

So abusable, almost designed for abuse alone. I mean, it's seriously like wearing a band-aid with a big bag of fentanyl attached to it.