• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸CASE STUDIES - It could happen to YOU!⫷

This thread is great BTW......how exactly are you finding such great case reports? I have access to Pubmed and all that via school but I am more versed in searching or literature and studies vs. case reports. Is there a way to specify you want case reports only? God I need to be studying for a test right now, but this thread is so great and informative!

Yeh, Pubmed is always quite confusing IMO, so I usually use Google Scholar or ScienceDirect to find some interesting topics, and then go thru the references for good papers. ~20% aren't available thru my 2 different journal access accounts so I download whatever I can, then copy paste the text from the PDF into Texpad. From there I use a few macros for formatting, then use extract images in Acrobat (or ctrl+g) then I edit for clarity/length.
All in all I probably spend an hour searching, then 30 min formatting.
I think it's worth it though b/c chances are I'll end up being the doc at the ER who isn't brainwashed with the whole "drug users are bad" stigma, so knowing all this stuff is good for me.,.. as well as BLers limbs/veins/lungs/lives :)

injecting ritalin.. the things people will do for a little high :/ .. does injecting ritalin even do anything more than just taking it orally? What are the bioavailabilities of this drug when taken orally, inter-nasally, or injected?

^IVing a drug gives 100% biovailabilt in most cases....Orally can range from ten percent for somethng like morphine, to 96%~ for diazepam; also, solublty is an issue. Snorting is variable, and depends f the drug is water soluble or not.

That health care bill did just pass in the house recently, we may have hope :) (I realize this post is a few months old, and you may already know this, just throwin it out there) Now we just have to wait what happens in the senate. A bunch of right wingers are saying its "dead on arrival" but I think they may just be in denial.

I don't want nationalized health care.

Health care should be privatized.

We need to end the war on drugs. That's the problem. "Drug patents" shouldn't exist either to the extent that they do, but that's a different story I won't touch on here.

I don't want nationalized health care.

Health care should be privatized.

We need to end the war on drugs. That's the problem. "Drug patents" shouldn't exist either to the extent that they do, but that's a different story I won't touch on here.

If the war on drugs ended, and drugs were made legal the country would save billions of dollars. I'd like nationalized health care but i think right now is the wrong time to do it. Maybe sometime in the future, when we aren't trillions of dollars in the hole, would be much better. But oh well, at least they are actually getting stuff done.

If the war on drugs ended, and drugs were made legal the country would save billions of dollars. I'd like nationalized health care but i think right now is the wrong time to do it. Maybe sometime in the future, when we aren't trillions of dollars in the hole, would be much better. But oh well, at least they are actually getting stuff done.
If we legalized marijuana (completely) and opened heroin clinics, (and also legalized mushrooms, LSD, and a few other core psychedelics including MDA) I would be 100% satisfied and stay in the states.

I say this mostly because the medicinal properties of LSD, mushrooms, marijuana, and the therapeutic effects of MDA are more than well documented, and are subjective facts for my life.

I can't wait until I move to another country and open up a lab and start churning out G's upon G's of MDA. I'd also probably have a good bit of mushrooms and DMT too, not to mention a bit of K. *in psychedelic-dreamland*

^ bingo. Everything you see in this Case Studies thread, think about it: if the drugs used were not so stigmatised, would people have lost their limbs? Would people bother IVing fentanyl gel if they could just as easily get heroin legally in a legal shooting gallery? Would people be smoking potent opiates when it was cheap enough to dose them orally? No, no, no.

Why the fuck are we wasting all this goddam money putting non-violent people in jail?

We don't lock up drunks or nicotine addicts, so how is it that someone who sells something as innocuous as marijuana (no one has EVER ODd on THC) deserves years in jail? This is not going to go away. People have the right to get high; it is my body and I will choose what I put in it. If the argument is that drugs are illegal b/c they are so bad for us, then fine, ban alcohol and tobacco (the worst drugs by a mile for toxicity) and see what happens -- 1930s prohibition crime.

The drug war will end. Just not too soon. It'll end when there are much bigger issues at hand and tax is needed to deal with these issues. If global warming pans out as bad as I believe it will, then 30 years from now drugs will be the last problem politicians will need to worry about.

PS. Go and watch Penn and Teller - Bullshit (War on Drugs) on Youtube. Good stuff

if we legalized marijuana (completely) and opened heroin clinics, (and also legalized mushrooms, lsd, and a few other core psychedelics including mda) i would be 100% satisfied and stay in the states.

I say this mostly because the medicinal properties of lsd, mushrooms, marijuana, and the therapeutic effects of mda are more than well documented, and are subjective facts for my life.

I can't wait until i move to another country and open up a lab and start churning out g's upon g's of mda. I'd also probably have a good bit of mushrooms and dmt too, not to mention a bit of k. *in psychedelic-dreamland*

8)

:|

Djsim~This is a very cool thread! I spend a lot of time researching and reading about similar things, too. Now I can just come on here and check out all the nifty/eeky/somewhat scary/definitely informative articles, and consider the many, varied opinions of fellow BLer's. I really love Bluelight. After being away from it for almost a year, it's really cool to be back. I have learned so much from the site, and look forward to continuing to do so.
;)

^ bingo. Everything you see in this Case Studies thread, think about it: if the drugs used were not so stigmatised, would people have lost their limbs? Would people bother IVing fentanyl gel if they could just as easily get heroin legally in a legal shooting gallery? Would people be smoking potent opiates when it was cheap enough to dose them orally? No, no, no.

Why the fuck are we wasting all this goddam money putting non-violent people in jail?

We don't lock up drunks or nicotine addicts, so how is it that someone who sells something as innocuous as marijuana (no one has EVER ODd on THC) deserves years in jail? This is not going to go away. People have the right to get high; it is my body and I will choose what I put in it. If the argument is that drugs are illegal b/c they are so bad for us, then fine, ban alcohol and tobacco (the worst drugs by a mile for toxicity) and see what happens -- 1930s prohibition crime.

The drug war will end. Just not too soon. It'll end when there are much bigger issues at hand and tax is needed to deal with these issues. If global warming pans out as bad as I believe it will, then 30 years from now drugs will be the last problem politicians will need to worry about.

PS. Go and watch Penn and Teller - Bullshit (War on Drugs) on Youtube. Good stuff

I myself would be the first person to advocate the legalization of drugs but really do you think it would be a wise choice for any society?
Personally i think it would lead to a much more worse country to live in, if everyone had access to there DOC because there would literally a million more addicts and i don't think there would be as many people trying to solve a cure for cancer ect or people wanting to strive forward with everything when really there just content to sit back and get high...
i know its a mad thing to say since i love all drugs, but i believe that really they shouldn't be made widely available to everyone because society would suffer HUGELY as a result.
Besides the government still makes huge bucks on illegal drugs trade FACT.
Just my opinion.

Fatal intravenous misuse of transdermal fentanyl

Clinical record
A 35-year-old woman with a history of intravenous drug use was brought by ambulance to the emergency department after an intravenous overdose of the contents of a transdermal fentanyl patch.
The ambulance had been called to a private home where there were two people unconscious, a man and a woman. Both appeared to have had acute narcotic overdoses. It was later confirmed that they had shared (and injected intravenously) the contents of a transdermal fentanyl patch (5 mg) found at the scene. Both patients were rapidly assessed by the ambulance officers, and the initial resuscitation concentrated on the male patient, who, at first assessment, appeared to be in a more critical state. He was unrousable and was reported to have Cheyne–Stokes respiration. His blood sugar level was checked (10.5 mmol/L) and he was given 1.2 mg naloxone intravenously. He recovered consciousness within five minutes and subsequently absconded from the scene while the second patient was being treated.
In the interim, the female patient had suffered a cardiorespiratory arrest. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was commenced, with the assistance of police officers who were also in attendance. According to ambulance records, her initial rhythm was electromechanical dissociation, which subsequently deteriorated into ventricular fibrillation. A direct current countershock (200 J energy) was applied. The patient went into asystole. She was intubated and intermittent positive pressure ventilation with 100% oxygen was started. Naloxone 1.6 mg, adrenalin 10 mg (total dose) and atropine 2 mg were administered intravenously. Subsequently, she developed a narrow complex tachycardia with a rate of 130 beats/minute and had a palpable cardiac output. The total time spent at the scene was 40 minutes, and transport time to hospital took 5 minutes.
On arrival at the emergency department she was unconscious, with a Glasgow Coma Score of 3. Her pupils were dilated and non-reactive to light. She was making occasional attempts at respiration and was ventilated as above with 100% oxygen. Her heart rate was 120 beats/minute in sinus rhythm, systolic blood pressure 55 mmHg and oxygen saturation 97%. One litre of Haemaccel and a noradrenalin infusion were administered, resulting in an initial improvement in systolic blood pressure to 95 mmHg. It was evident that she had vomited at the scene, and clinical signs were consistent with aspiration, which was later confirmed on chest x-ray. Laboratory results for arterial blood, serum and urine are shown in Box 1. She was transferred to the intensive care unit, where she subsequently developed diabetes insipidus, abnormal liver function, disseminated intravascular coagulation and had ongoing haemodynamic instability.
The next day, cerebral computed tomography (CT) scan showed changes in the basal ganglia and mild generalised cerebral swelling consistent with severe hypoxia (Box 2A). A CT scan of her abdomen showed generalised changes in the bowel wall and mesentery consistent with bowel necrosis (Box 2B). Surgical intervention was considered to offer little in view of the severe neurological damage and multiorgan failure. Following extensive discussion with family members, inotropic support was withdrawn and she died soon afterwards.

https://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/177_10_181102/ree10446_fm.pdf

Whoa.. that makes me think twice before ever even touching fentanyl ever again..

I myself would be the first person to advocate the legalization of drugs but really do you think it would be a wise choice for any society?
Personally i think it would lead to a much more worse country to live in, if everyone had access to there DOC because there would literally a million more addicts and i don't think there would be as many people trying to solve a cure for cancer ect or people wanting to strive forward with everything when really there just content to sit back and get high...
i know its a mad thing to say since i love all drugs, but i believe that really they shouldn't be made widely available to everyone because society would suffer HUGELY as a result.
Besides the government still makes huge bucks on illegal drugs trade FACT.
Just my opinion.

By legalizing drugs, you can make them cheap enough so that possibly the large majority of addicts don't turn to crime and violence to support their habits. You can also legally keep people using drugs in clinics to minimize harm as well.

It would finally allow the United States to make any money made by drug sales, instead of outsourcing it to other countries (which is primarily what is happening now, minus domestic weed productions).

Furthermore, so what if more people get addicted to greater availability? Most illegal drugs aren't as harmful as tobacco or alcohol if you factor out the fact that the said drug is illegal and can potentially come with consequences one wouldn't have normally acquired in a sober life. If you can legalize tobacco and alcohol, you can legalize any drug without feeling that bad for doing so.

By legalizing drugs, you can make them cheap enough so that possibly the large majority of addicts don't turn to crime and violence to support their habits. You can also legally keep people using drugs in clinics to minimize harm as well.

It would finally allow the United States to make any money made by drug sales, instead of outsourcing it to other countries (which is primarily what is happening now, minus domestic weed productions).

Furthermore, so what if more people get addicted to greater availability? Most illegal drugs aren't as harmful as tobacco or alcohol if you factor out the fact that the said drug is illegal and can potentially come with consequences one wouldn't have normally acquired in a sober life. If you can legalize tobacco and alcohol, you can legalize any drug without feeling that bad for doing so.

currently all we do is make other countries rich and lose the money we spend on drugs making us poor in the long term

currently all we do is make other countries rich and lose the money we spend on drugs making us poor in the long term

Exactly!

+1, thank you! Well put. The US is being bled dry of $ like a pig of its blood due to the war on drugs.

Personally, even if we started with something like heroin clinics and legalizing weed, we would have made a great stride. I don't use heroin anymore so I have nothing to gain by this other than possibly less murders, crime, and less dead people in my society (oh, and less people getting infected with STD's). Furthermore, a lot of injection complications will be avoided by opening shooting galleries, etc.

Are there any case studies on snorting OxyContin (and other Opioid pills, including generic), as well as snorting Black Tar Heroin?
Interesting question. I know there's probably case studies about IV users of OC's, but I'm not sure about snorted OC's or BTH.

I saw the one case study in the 3rd of 4th page about the guy getting wound botulism from snorting BTH... Is there a way to prevent this?
Don't get heroin with botulism in it. With that being said, I don't even know if there's a way to find out (other than the hard way).

If you know a dealer who is notoriously sanitary/clean about his business, get his shit. That would be my advice to you.

Are there any resources here about sterilizing/removing cuts from Black Tar Heroin just enough for safe nasal use?
I'm not familiar with BTH but my guess is it's more trouble than its worth when you could just find another, better source.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what the actual problems that occur with internasal use of these drugs are.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what the actual problems that occur with internasal use of these drugs are.

Well to be honest, snorting large quantities of pills, or cocaine is what puts a hole in your nose.

I snorted plenty of heroin and my nose is just fine.

Cocaine is a vasoconstrictor, meaning the blood vessels in your nasal tissue will be closed off. If they're closed off for long enough, the tissue loses oxygen for too long and it will die. Doing this often enough = a hole in the nasal membrane.

I've known several people who went there with coke.

As for intranasal BTH I can't really say much, except it's probably dependent on the source quality. All the powder heroin I snorted was fine for me, I'm still alive and kicking. I just have no experience with BTH, sorry.

"that almost 50% of severe cases required digital amputation following intraarterial injection"

eek :\

holy shit! I guess I'm part of the lucky 50%...or it wasn't that severe but I hit an artery in my arm and pulled out before injecting much. It still hurt like a bitch.

I think anyone who wants to IV something should look at this thread first. It's fuckin crazy. I'm real glad i don't IV anymore. And the smoking fentanyl OD's are crazy too, I always assumed smoking fent was the 'safer' way to do it.

Imagine the stink when they drained that "softball"sized abcess I bet it could make a pathologist puke