• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Smoking pot made me bipolar’

And what about the quality of our water?

Are there not people who argue things like urinated water cause conditions like bipolarX?

Teahehe /tiːhiːhiː/ (I meant to say fluoridated water - autocorrect strikes again!)

<note the use of the IPA>

Last edited by a moderator:
You are becoming senile. You even quoted my definition of "lasting" in the third quote.
By senile, if you mean in agreement with the following, then I am Captain Crunch.

If the rates of schizophrenia are dropping while drug use is rising than the correlation between drug use and mental illness obviously isn't very significant.
There is a strong association.

Check this out as well:
comorbid01.jpg

You completely missed the point of my last paragraph. I never said there are not studies about the dangers of alcohol and tobacco, learn to fucking read.
How can I learn to read? ((crying))

I am saying, due to lobbying from those industries and government policy they have a very large incentive to produce flawed studies about the dangers of other drugs. By other drugs I obviously mean alternative recreational substances to tobacco and alcohol (You fucking know what I meant) such as cannabis. They would be a threat to the alcohol and tobacco market if they were legal. Despite all other drugs being available the majority consumed are the legal ones.
The government had an incentive to produce flawed studies; that incentive is money, of course, produced by the alcohol and tobacco addiction?

Why do you think Anhuiser Busch (Budweiser) and Phillip Morris (Marlboros) fund the Partnership for a Drug Free America?
Because they are Satan.

You live in a corporate dominated nation where all your beliefs were bought and paid for.
I have been paid not to believe that.

Policy and the results of studies the government chooses to show you are dictated by lobbyists.
I would like to see a study proving this.

The free country comment is intensely ironic. How about you find studies that are against your point of view and try to find errors in them for once? You might learn something. You will always be able to find crap studies that support whatever you want to believe, it is called confirmation bias.
A legit scientific study is uncovering something nobody has seen and a legit conclusion puts together such evidence in a compelling sequence to give it extraordinary significance.

The number of studies that support a theory can be totally meaningless. You can find long strings of studies which have effectively done nothing more than echo an opinion with scant evidence.

I make assumptions, as anyone, and looking at studies that promise to disrupt my assumptions is actually the best way to draw a sound conclusion.

Psomeman has sold me..... I do believe that problems arise when young people use in adolescents. I started smoking early and quit because it made me very paranoid and anxious. I don't know if it was the pot or x but I couldn't take it anymore. All my symptoms went away once I quit.

The incentive to produce flawed studies is to maintain billions of dollars revenue from taxing alcohol and tobacco (your smart ass comment only showcases your ignorance), as well as the good graces of the lobbies for those drugs with the corrections/law enforcement lobbies who give millions to political parties.

You second to last paragraph is ironic again. Exactly my point, Dur! The fact that these supposed risks from cannabis use have not caused significant increases in the rates of schizophrenia in the overall population says it all. Regarding last paragraph, no you do not. Post a study with a conclusion contrary to your own and try to pick it apart.

If you do not think policy is determined almost entirely by whoever lobbies the government than you are mentally defective. We would not have banned drugs the human body produces naturally if this was not the case. Nor would we pass tough on crime laws when crime is dropping (such as in the United States in the 90's) in order to replace the "lost" crime so that police/ corrections would still have something to do.

What, do you think your meaningless vote determines policy? You choose between two parties lobbied to by largely the same groups whose only policy differences are emotional/controversial issues that have no real impact on society (abortion, gay marriage). What do you think determines policy (for the most part) then?

If you really want studies than search up the wolf-PAC Young Turks videos on YouTube, they explain it nicely.

I just read your studies, wtf. Swedish conscripts in 1969 self-reporting their use? That study is not relevant, wow. The other is about a certain gene supposedly interacting with cannabis use and has limited information. You still have not addressed why rates of schizophrenia have been dropping. Someone feeling anxious when smoking is not the same thing. You can't just appeal to mystery, claiming other factors affect it so much that propaganda is true. The results of your studies simply do not hold up to real world data on the whole of the population.

Last edited:
O.K. so forget fluorine. I know what's really affecting us that they're putting in the water.

Ignorance, selfishness, greed and hate. I mean it's not like we learn these things from anyone/where/thing... 8)

You may continue on.

It is a very obscure population, meaningless may have been a better word.

Nice job skipping over most of what I said btw.

How does anyone know if something "makes them bipolar?"

Does she think that becoming bipolar just came out of nowhere from smoking pot?

A person that is bipolar can have symptoms of their mental illness brought out from drugs; but the drugs themselves do not make someone who is not bipolar become bipolar, or develop another mental illness.

It is a very obscure population, meaningless may have been a better word.

Nice job skipping over most of what I said btw.
We can get back to your other points but I would not want to discuss all these things simultaneously.

What do you mean by obscure? They are Swedish.

Does she think that becoming bipolar just came out of nowhere from smoking pot?

A person that is bipolar can have symptoms of their mental illness brought out from drugs; but the drugs themselves do not make someone who is not bipolar become bipolar, or develop another mental illness.
I disagree. I think people after years of smoking marijuana or using hallucinogens are at increased risk of developing schizophrenia or other mental illness.

I accept there are lots of other reasons why the number of schizophrenics change, people do have conditions that predispose them, and that practically anything can contribute to the disorder. I am not demanding that you believe as I do, but at least admit that a possibility remains that this may be an underlying cause to certain individual disorders.

Last edited:
Rare for bipolar to be passed on through genetics pmose?? I'm on vacation so I don't have time to address this rite now.. but I will later.

What do you mean by obscure? They are Swedish.

Which is, by definition, obscure! Just ask them - they themselves will be the first to admit it ;)

But self-reporting is notoriously flawed.

Last edited:
And what about the quality of our water?

Are there not people who argue things like urinated water cause conditions like bipolarX?

Teahehe /tiːhiːhiː/ (I meant to say fluoridated water - autocorrect strikes again!)

<note the use of the IPA>

+1 for IPA use <3

There are studies showing significant levels of pharms in drinking water, but it is not clear how this affects people.
Could taking small amounts of many pharms cause bipolar disorder to arise / come out? Certainly.
But I think that it is also easy to imagine that weed could do so, and there are some studies that suggest that this is the case.
So, while it seems like a big claim to say "X made me bipolar", it is entirely possible that the weed brought out a latent mental illness.

Which is, by definition, obscure! Just ask them - they themselves will be the first to admit it ;)

But self-reporting is notoriously flawed.
It may not be accurate but the study only days that those who self reported marijuana use showed higher rates of developing the disorder. I am only trying to provide an association, but schizophrenia is not bipolar anyway.

Rare for bipolar to be passed on through genetics pmose?? I'm on vacation so I don't have time to address this rite now.. but I will later.
From the perspective of an individual with bipolar, it is not likely your parents have the disease because bipolars are not likely to have kids.

Given that we do not know for certain Sia's father had bipolar and little really is known about multiple personality disorder, with popularity distinct to that time in the United States, it is a small stretch to say he was bipolar.

Last edited:
+1 for IPA use <3

There are studies showing significant levels of pharms in drinking water, but it is not clear how this affects people.
Could taking small amounts of many pharms cause bipolar disorder to arise / come out? Certainly.
But I think that it is also easy to imagine that weed could do so, and there are some studies that suggest that this is the case.
So, while it seems like a big claim to say "X made me bipolar", it is entirely possible that the weed brought out a latent mental illness.
Bipolarized water?

But what if the symptoms go away completely when cannabis use is stopped? That would seem to indicate that it wasn't a latent mental illness, but a mental illness primarily caused by cannabis use.

I think there is a double standard here. When someone takes methamphetamine and it triggers lasting stimulant psychosis, people have no problems blaming the drug for it. Of course, those who experience this psychosis are to some degree "susceptible" to it, too, but we don't say that they are "latent psychotics." Similarly, one could argue that a given drug is not addictive, because the only people who become addicted to it are susceptible to addiction. So really, saying that cannabis only triggers mental illness in those susceptible to it doesn't mean much.

Latent psychosis. The designation “latent psychosis” might be employed when there is evidence of an existing psychosis which is, for practical purposes, covered up most of the time: i.e., in psychotherapy one might see that somebody is usually under the influence of primary process thinking and constantly beset by severe distortions of reality, but he manages to keep all these problems private by the use of intelligence and clever rationalizations. Such a person requires a favorable environment in order to continue to appear manifestly normal. Usually a forced change in environment or a change in living circumstances will suddenly disrupt the delicate arrangement; the patient will then surprise the world with the emergence of full-blown delusions of obviously long standing. The concept of latency thus refers in essence to the social impression which this individual makes. This nonpsychotic impression may also prevail in an ordinary clinical examination if the patient feels uncooperative, but it is extremely likely to appear in projective and other diagnostic testing, and in prolonged psychoanalytic interviews.
International Encyclopedia of Social Sciences

The point both slim and I were making is that you guys arguing back and forth about this is getting boring. At best, right now we don't know. It seems that a) exposure to recreational/"abusive" drug use/drugs leached or added to the drinking water and b) mere genetic predisposition is not, alone, the cause of bipolar so-called disorder. I do tend to lean towards there being more of a genetic predisposition, but alone for many people, without some external stimuli (like trauma and concurrent or later drug use), they still won't develop any conditions under worst of circumstances (i.e. everyone in their family is fucking nuts).

Correlation v causation, keep in mind. Science is only so empirical. Or is it that empiricism is only so scientific? Yada yada yada...

I suggest we all (re)visit The Icarus Project if we want to get some informed discussion on bipolar "disorder" or other so-called mental illness/madness/genius going on in this here place.

As much as I love BL, and DiTM, we here in this subforum are not "experts" to my knowledge (and this is with the knowledge that some if not most of us here in this thread have a lot of experience with these exact issues). So why do we have to argue meaninglessly like they do?

I suggest we all (re)visit The Icarus Project if we want to get some informed discussion on bipolar "disorder" or other so-called mental illness/madness/genius going on in this here place.

As much as I love BL, and DiTM, we here in this subforum are not "experts" to my knowledge (and this is with the knowledge that some if not most of us here in this thread have a lot of experience with these exact issues). So why do we have to argue meaninglessly like they do?

This was easy to read.

http://www.personalityresearch.org/papers/byrd.html